Tron Lightcycle Run coming to MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Speedway was never a "unique experience" even when it opened in 1971. Most regional theme parks at the time had, and many still have, similar driving experiences. And many have even switched to using electric vehicles by now. Granted, many only have one track and not the 4 side by side tracks they have at MK, but other than that there is no difference (other than most regional parks having a more scenic route than the really boring Speedway at MK).

How many theme parks were there back then I wonder. Because pretty much every modest size city in the US has a go cart track now

How many theme parks were there back then I wonder. Because pretty much every modest size city in the US has a go cart track now

Our Six Flags was PRE-Magic Kingdom and had TWO car rides.
One much like Speedway and One is Hanson Cars.
They still have the Hanson cars just in a new location.
These were Speedway cars.

c511e4fefcff0c8a018911c7e1a64d0f.jpg

Last edited:
There's really nothing unique about speedway...it was an off the shelf ride. Autopia preceeded it by years at Disneyland.

Heck, Kennywood had the turnpike that sucked when I was a kid (just like the real pa turnpike)...so the thrill is gone for most.

If anything...I'd say speedway may be more popular because most are long gone.

Interesting discussions about what could be done with the speedway. Still, I don't know why Disney would bother doing anything to it. Its always got a line so its still very popular with kids the way it is right now.

There's really nothing unique about speedway...it was an off the shelf ride. Autopia preceeded it by years at Disneyland.

Heck, Kennywood had the turnpike that sucked when I was a kid (just like the real pa turnpike)...so the thrill is gone for most.

If anything...I'd say speedway may be more popular because most are long gone.

Even Soarin' is nothing more than the 1960's rounded Chevy show in front of a ferris wheel. I digress.

The Speedway needs complete overhaul ....

but to still thrill the few kids who didn't get a Barbie/Army jeep ...

at least bring me some Jetson cars with sound effects (and no smell).

I'm with you. 45 years ago that was a unique experience. Today, not so much.
I suspect you are no longer the target audience for this attraction. I know I'm not.

However, there are a ton of 3-9 year olds that visit WDW who are the target audience. Have you seen the lines? :car:

I suspect you are no longer the target audience for this attraction. I know I'm not.

However, there are a ton of 3-9 year olds that visit WDW who are the target audience. Have you seen the lines? :car:

That's a common world view - especially today - that is applied incorrectly.

Just because crap is still popular/made sense 50 years ago...doesn't mean that it shouldn't be replaced. Because eventually it crumbles to dust.

exactly. I thought for sure when 20k Leagues left, Speedway was next
If only they would have taken it away about 7 years ago, annexed it into Fantasyland, and used the extra space to make 7DMT actually long and good instead of just squeezing it into the 20,000 Leagues lagoon.

If only they would have taken it away about 7 years ago, annexed it into Fantasyland, and used the extra space to make 7DMT actually long and good instead of just squeezing it into the 20,000 Leagues lagoon.

Mine train was never gonna be more than what it is...an innings eater/minor diversion. I'd never go near it without a fast pass and often don't if I do have them.

Look...it's brilliant business:
They let the old fantasyland stuff collapse and let toontown get wrecked when they didn't want to pay for the costs...let it sit for 10 years...then when things were cheap redid it and now pack 5 million bodies a year back there at 2-3x the ticket cost...

...it really was brilliant.

Actually the lines are MUCH shorter than they used to be except for HIGH crowd days. It's a favorite of DS who will never drive. I hate it. He knows it, so very excited when someone comes with us. I randomly will ride. So I am always very in tune to how long the lines are ..... and compared to years ago before NF and reimagined Storybook Circus ....... it's a cake walk.

If they would switch the speedway cars to electric, and maybe have the cars have different max speeds (probably by lane), so that younger kids go slower, and bigger kids can go faster, the ride could have new life. Especially if they can find a way to lengthen some of the tracks. It could be an interesting approach.

The addition of the TRON ride is exciting, and as much as I love the movies, I have little faith that Disney will ever make a third installment unfortunately.

Mine train was never gonna be more than what it is...an innings eater/minor diversion. I'd never go near it without a fast pass and often don't if I do have them.

Look...it's brilliant business:
They let the old fantasyland stuff collapse and let toontown get wrecked when they didn't want to pay for the costs...let it sit for 10 years...then when things were cheap redid it and now pack 5 million bodies a year back there at 2-3x the ticket cost...

...it really was brilliant.
I don't disagree re: brilliant business... this just sounds so... so... sad in its denouement. :(

I know this is a crazy word to some, but do you feel any "Disney magic" when you visit nowadays? I hope the answer is yes. :)

On the issue of 7DMT: as a coaster, meh. But it's adorable with the dwarfs -- come on!! That said, we only do it with a FP. We won't wait that long for anything. Except me for Metallica/GnR tix back in the day.

I'm looking forward to Tron as another real e-ticket attraction in MK. And I have ZERO interest in anything Tron besides this.

Last edited:
I don't disagree re: brilliant business... this just sounds so... so... sad in its denouement. :(

I know this is a crazy word to some, but do you feel any "Disney magic" when you visit nowadays? I hope the answer is yes. :)

On the issue of 7DMT: as a coaster, meh. But it's adorable with the dwarfs -- come on!! That said, we only do it with a FP. We won't wait that long for anything. Except me for Metallica/GnR tix back in the day.

I'm looking forward to Tron as another real e-ticket attraction in MK. And I have ZERO interest in anything Tron besides this.

It's beyond sad, and I do wonder if they are costing themselves long-term, but don't see the damage being done. From a business perspective, people are still coming, so everything is great. Now they are getting more money per person, so everything is great. But, if the number of people going continues to decrease in the coming years, it is possible that the true damage will start to show, that people don't see a Disney vacation as a must experience, one that needs to be repeated, and one that is a good value. And I think that is already happening. Perhaps all of this construction will start to bring back the value aspect, but I don't know, since at least two of the parks feel like they are getting gutted to add just a few attractions that cater to mostly thrill seekers. It's like they are only focused on the Universal Studios type customer, and not the family customer any longer. But, maybe that's where the money is now.

Just so sad......

It's a bit surprising to me that Disney took so long to leverage TRON in the parks ... although ElecTRONica did have a short run in Disneyland. Whether folks like the movies or even saw them, the conceptual and and art designs from TRON are instantly recognized and have been a major influence on pop culture. Similar to what Disney did with Pandora, you can do a ton of wold-building with the IP in the parks even if the the crowds aren't familiar with the source material. How many people on Splash Mountain are familiar with Song of the South?

And with 80's retro-craze still building ... think 'Goldbergs', 'Stranger Things', 'Ready Player One' etc ... excitement of the TRON IP may build just on its' nostalgia

It's beyond sad, and I do wonder if they are costing themselves long-term, but don't see the damage being done. From a business perspective, people are still coming, so everything is great. Now they are getting more money per person, so everything is great. But, if the number of people going continues to decrease in the coming years, it is possible that the true damage will start to show, that people don't see a Disney vacation as a must experience, one that needs to be repeated, and one that is a good value. And I think that is already happening. Perhaps all of this construction will start to bring back the value aspect, but I don't know, since at least two of the parks feel like they are getting gutted to add just a few attractions that cater to mostly thrill seekers. It's like they are only focused on the Universal Studios type customer, and not the family customer any longer. But, maybe that's where the money is now.

Just so sad......
I don't know... It feels to me like it takes quite a dose of pessimism and/or cynicism to look at ALL OF THE ANNOUNCEMENTS coming out of D23 -- with the promise of more to come, btw -- and still be "sad".
  • Additions like the 1) Remy ride, 2) Mickey ride and the 3) theatre in MK are for everyone -- as is 4-5) Toy Story Land, no? As is 6) the new space restaurant.
  • I count 4 for "thrill seekers": 1-2) SW rides, 3) Guardians, 4) Tron. Seems like a good balance to me.

If they would switch the speedway cars to electric, and maybe have the cars have different max speeds (probably by lane), so that younger kids go slower, and bigger kids can go faster, the ride could have new life.
Unless they were going to equip each car with some type of crash avoidance technology, I seriously doubt they would ever allow the cars to go faster than they do right now. They wouldn't want to risk whiplash lawsuits from teenagers plowing into people with their faster "bigger kids" cars.

Surprised they kept the speedway. Hoping they swap out all the gas motors someday. It's pretty awful smelling over there

I know you were trying to make a joke, but the look of the Tron coaster is based on the 2010 film Tron: Legacy.
Plus Disney will eventually make Tron 3.

Yeah......a movie about computers in 2010. That sure is the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter