Trip Report - Universal Studios Japan and Tokyo Disney November 2013

I know you're posting about food that you tried and binned; but I'm enjoying seeing them and hope to be able to enjoy them myself one day.

I had a bit of a lightbulb moment when I actually wrote out (paraphrase) 'I bought this food, tried it, binned it. I bought that food, tried it, binned it. I bought *more* food - why was I so hungry at Disney?!' :confused3 :lmao:

I should clarify, I only threw out the green tea bun. I don't like anything green tea flavoured so that was the only reason I didn't eat that one. The other two flavours were delicious. A bit of new experience for me, cold, gooey buns, but yummy :thumbsup2 I'll be sure to keep including details on the food haha

Remind me not to organise a DisMeet where we go eat Japanese when you come along.

Haha, technically gyoza and buns are not Japanese, although you will find them on the menu at many Japanese restaurants :) Admittedly, before the trip I never really strayed far from a teriyaki beef when at a Japanese place. My adventuring in Japan paid off, and I now love a curry katsu and especially karaage nom nom nom

I like the Gyoza buns at TDS but they're nothing super amazing....odd that the cart is so popular when Gyoza (well, small gyoza) is available in so many other places....but yep, it's a Chinese thing originally :)

Now, I love my point and shoot camera in the daytime. I'm really not a photo freak, and just want to buy something that does all the hard stuff for me, but I have to say the night time shots are not all that great. Add to this that the park is just so dark!! I was so surprised at just how dark it was. I struggled to read the map when I was walking around, and I wasn't the only one because I'd often see other people huddled under a lamp post squinting at their maps.

Just FYI I found your nighttime photos to be WAAAY better than mine - Your right too - there is not a lot of light in the parks at night and honestly my husband and I didn't get to spend too much time in TDS at night but your photos worked out well from what I can see. My husband knows a bit about photography and says if you really want any camera (even an amazing one) to take good night shots you need a tripod for stability and those are apparently not allowed in the Tokyo Parks! Anyway - just wanted to let you know I thought your photos turned out well.

Because I was travelling alone, and I don't consider spending a lot of money on a hotel room I only really sleep in worth it, I didn't stay at any of the Disney Hotels. However, because of the location of TDR, it doesn't make much sense to stay much further away than at one of the Official Hotels.

I ended up booking Hotel Okura, which cost at least half of what a Disney hotel cost, and, because of the way the resort is laid out and the efficiency of the monorail (arrived every four minutes at peak time, or every six minutes during the middle of the day and probably took maybe 10-15 minutes to do a full loop - not that you'd really do that - just amazingly easy) there really isn't that much benefit. Unless you really like the prettiness of the hotels, and I'll admit, they do look very pretty:

Or the extra *15 minutes* early entry :rolleyes: the Official hotels are just as convenient as the Disney hotels.

Have to disagree about the benefit of staying at an Official Disney Hotel (i.e. one of the three onsite ones) - being able to get in 15 - 20 minutes early may not sound like a lot but it saved my sanity not having to run the length of the park to fight for fastpasses and allowed us to be ahead of the crowds. Of course we didn't bother trying to get a FP for Toy Story (our trip took us to WDW and DLR too and so we decided we'd just ride it there) but we would have easily been able to get one using the early entry had we wanted to. As it stood we ended up being ahead of the crowd for the most popular rides most days and didn't have to deal with horrendous lines that the Tokyo parks are famous for....It was expensive and I totally get how someone travelling alone might not see the worth in it but we thought it was completely worth it :) Just my two cents worth....

UPDATE - All that being said it sounds like the parks were really quiet when you were there! I think it was a bit of a busier time when we went so if it is a busy time i think there is value to staying on property but when it's quiet maybe not as much :)

I'm enjoying your trip report and all the amazing photos! Please keep talking about the food. How was your lunch? Can't wait to read more!

I like the Gyoza buns at TDS but they're nothing super amazing....odd that the cart is so popular when Gyoza (well, small gyoza) is available in so many other places....but yep, it's a Chinese thing originally :)

I did have some yummy gyoza at Namjatown. It was quite a gamble, because all of the signs were in Kanji (which I can't read), none of the staff in the place could speak English, and all of the pictures looked pretty much the same - small fried dumpling things lol I had heard that they serve cheese gyoza there, and I was lucky enough to have picked them :thumbsup2

Just FYI I found your nighttime photos to be WAAAY better than mine - Your right too - there is not a lot of light in the parks at night and honestly my husband and I didn't get to spend too much time in TDS at night but your photos worked out well from what I can see. My husband knows a bit about photography and says if you really want any camera (even an amazing one) to take good night shots you need a tripod for stability and those are apparently not allowed in the Tokyo Parks! Anyway - just wanted to let you know I thought your photos turned out well.

Thanks for the feedback, and the tip on tripods for night shots. I don't think I'm that much of a photo fanatic to carry one around :P

Have to disagree about the benefit of staying at an Official Disney Hotel (i.e. one of the three onsite ones) - being able to get in 15 - 20 minutes early may not sound like a lot but it saved my sanity not having to run the length of the park to fight for fastpasses and allowed us to be ahead of the crowds.

UPDATE - All that being said it sounds like the parks were really quiet when you were there! I think it was a bit of a busier time when we went so if it is a busy time i think there is value to staying on property but when it's quiet maybe not as much :)

We'll have to agree to disagree :) If I shared the cost, then yeah, maybe I wouldn't find it so hard to swallow, but the armchair economist in me still thinks that $200+ a night could be much better spent. More souvenirs, more great meals...actually, you could almost add a whole extra day to the trip for the cost...!

There is one benefit that made me really tempted to stay 'onsite', and that was the package delivery to hotels hehe I do tend to buy a lot of stuff from theme parks, and not having to carry it around with me is a big plus. I do wonder whether it would have been a bit more hassle with the language barrier (I assume there are forms to fill out). As it was, the CM's really didn't mind me carrying big bags of merchandise onto the rides. Didn't mind at all :rotfl:

But yeah - maybe it was a lot quieter when I was there? You were only a week or so before me, right? I guess that can be enough to make all the difference!

I'm enjoying your trip report and all the amazing photos! Please keep talking about the food. How was your lunch? Can't wait to read more!

Hahaha, in all my planning for these trips, and reading all the reports, I was always 'where are the pictures of the merchandise??' and in the end I didn't end up taking any myself :P So I can understand when people are reading reports and looking for something specific. Don't worry, the description of the lunch (with photos!) is coming up soon! Hopefully this weekend :thumbsup2

After meeting Donald, it was time to go to my Magellan's booking. I walked back through Lost River Delta:

P1010918_zpsb06a567a.jpg

Picked up a fastpass for Indiana Jones:

P1010919_zpsef6f5775.jpg

And then back over the bridge:

P1010920_zps56394a55.jpg

And through the arch:

P1010921_zpsbb378f30.jpg

You can see the level of detail from the moment you step towards the doors:

P1010922_zpsb10c80d4.jpg

There is a little seated area just to the right of this door, with (from memory) carved wooden benches. I think this might be right above that area:

P1010923_zps030b0eea.jpg

I sat there for just a couple of minutes before a waitress came and led me to my table. The room is circular, and the majority of the tables are one level down from where you enter. There are booths all around the edges and tables through the middle surrounding the big globe in the centre of the room. I did ask the waitress about the special hidden room (cellar? library?) and she said it was full, which was initially disappointing, but in the end I was very happy with where I was sitting. I was lucky enough to score a booth all to myself. The seats were super comfortable and covered with this plush red velvet. The carved 'stone' walls and arches looked beautiful, and I had a feeling that I was about to eat in the most amazing restaurant in my life so far lol Here's a few photos from where I was sitting:

P1010924_zpse8029833.jpg

P1010925_zpsbe89fbf5.jpg

P1010926_zps4e20825c.jpg

I decided to get one of the set menus. I remember starting with a salad of mixed greens with feta and walnuts and finding a level of satisfaction that I don't think I've ever had with a salad before! haha my experience in Japan to that point was that salads were pretty few and far between, and it felt like a nice, fresh break after lots of heavy foods like curries and fried meats and vegies.

Sadly, no pic of the salad. I was so keen to eat it, I forgot to take one lol but I did get a shot of the main, which was something beef (just a straight up steak? or a beef cheek?). I can't exactly remember, but it was delicious and very well presented:

P1010927_zps5e236f0e.jpg

And then for dessert, I think there was some kind of chocolate option (pudding, perhaps?) and I'm usually a chocolate fiend, but I thought I'd try something different and ordered the creme brulee. Apologies, no photos of this one either but I do remember this one. Usually creme brulees are made in little ramekins so you get a depth of custard, and a small amount of the burnt caramel. The one at Magellan's came out on the flattest dish I have ever seen for a brulee. It was about the size of a side plate, and being a flat dish, the custard part wasn't very deep but there was a great amount of surface area that had been caramalised. Mmmmmm best.brulee.ever!

The pace of the meal was a nice break from the rest of the park touring. The atmostphere was very relaxing, and it seemed like everyone else in the restaurant was there to enjoy the experience, with no one in a rush to leave the place. The service was quite efficient, but a had a bit of a language barrier with the waitress working my table, and there was a bit of confusion about how to pay. I think I tried to leave at one point with the assumption I would pay upon leaving, but instead they bring the bill to the table. I should have thought that would be the case, given how classy the place is, but after the refreshing break, I was keen to keep moving hehe

After dealing with the bill, I was able to make my own way out, so I walked around and took a few photos:

P1010928_zps68f3c260.jpg

P1010929_zpsecc17a6c.jpg

P1010931_zps175f3489.jpg

(including one of the toilet doors lol)

P1010933_zps669adbe8.jpg

This is the view of the globe from the ground floor (shame it didn't come out crisper):

P1010934_zps7fa45ea7.jpg

And the gorgeous hand painted roof:

P1010935_zps0569f059.jpg

Now it looks like I went and rode 20,000 Leagues *again*!

P1010936_zpsf61f19f8.jpg

This is actually the view from the line at the bottom of the ramp entrance:

P1010937_zps14cabda6.jpg

And then it looks like I took the long way around to Lost River Delta, probably to kill some time until the Indiana Jones fastpass time. So, from Magellan's, walked right to Mermaid Lagoon:

P1010941_zpsa4169ecb.jpg

And I wanted to get a shot of the area themed Christmas banners:

P1010942_zps09cefc51.jpg

Ariel and Sebastian:

P1010943_zpsab8fc465.jpg

Oh, and Flounder:

P1010944_zpsc8adcde2.jpg

And then walked up through the Arabian Coast:

P1010945_zps7d715dd9.jpg

I didn't ride these - I feel like I'm too old to do so without children lol:

P1010946_zpsf4d1ea66.jpg

P1010947_zpsf7e20662.jpg

P1010948_zps5c573348.jpg

Oh, and then the photos at this end of the park sorta run out. So, I did end up riding Indiana Jones again. I handed over my fastpass to the CM, but they then told me that because I was a single rider, I didn't need it. So she didn't even take it from me, she just pointed me down the line. So I got to keep that one :)

And then I had to hustle back down to American waterfront to make the entry to Big Band Beat. I remember walking into the lobby of the theatre and being completely bewildered about which entrance to go through to find my seat (there were a few different doors and stairs off the side). And the lobby was almost completely empty, so I couldn't find anyone to ask and got a little panicked given how close I was coming to show time. Turns out it is just one big room and I just had to enter through the main doors.

I found my seat, which was maybe only half a dozen rows from the front, and off a bit to the right. So I was very happy! CM's come walking through the rows prior to the show starting and ask everyone to take off their hats / Mickey Ears / Minnie bows, etc hahaha and then the show started. It was incredible! It was also Christmas themed, so was mostly made up of English language Christmas tunes. I remember lots of glitz and glamour, and a few fancy jazz dance routines. And of course, Mickey on the drums! And...*spoiler*...snow!!! Ok, it was confetti, but it felt very, very special!

And then I thought I'd take a break and head back to the hotel, so back out through the entrance:

P1010949_zps25643e0c.jpg

Where the beach themed characters were meeting and greeting:

P1010950_zpsa693b858.jpg

P1010951_zps51c0a881.jpg

I should mention that, just prior to my trip, Nintendo came out with a new 'game' WiiU Fit. With this you could buy a sorta pedometer that measured steps, distance, altitude, etc. I had been carrying it with me all through my trip, curious about just how much I was walking. It just clips onto the edge of your pants, like most pedometers.

So, sometime during this morning, I was walking along and noticed a sound like something plastic dropping around me. I looked around, but couldn't see anything, but didn't check if I still had the pedometer. It was a little while later that I realised I had lost it. So, on the way out of the park, I spotted Lost and Found. I thought my chances of finding this were pretty remote, but I figured I'd give it a try. Plus, I had another few days for something to turn up. I talked to the woman working the counter, and tried to explain to her that it was a black, round device that counts steps. She fills out a form and then walks out the back. At this point I thought she was just going to file it away, but she returns to the desk and hands it over to me. I am absolutely stunned! I had only dropped it just a few hours before, and yet it had already arrived at the L&F office! I was very grateful and quickly marked it up in my mind as another great experience with the people of Japan :)

After a quick ride on the monorail, I was very excited to see my hotel is - literally - across the road from the monoroail. The Sheraton and Hilton are on either side, so maybe another five minutes away, but for Hotel Okura it was probably at most a five minute walk from the monorail station up the long driveway:

P1010955_zpseb026cfb.jpg

I hung out here for a few hours - I doubt I actually slept because the bed was just that.bad. Honestly, I'm reluctant to call it a bed. It was more like a series of springs wrapped in fabric. To this 'bed', padding and any semblance of comfort was a foreign concept. On the plus side, the room is huge. Ridiculously large! It had two queen sized (I think) beds (both as uncomfortable as each other) a small table and a couple of padded chairs, and then just ample, ample space all around all of this. The bathroom was equally as large, with a spacious shower, a separate bath that could fill in just one minute, and double sink with lots of bench space. To me, this still didn't make up for the state of the beds.

A few minutes after arriving in my room, there was a knock at the door and a woman was delivering my bag. Well, she was trying to! I think I've already mentioned that at this point my bag was almost at bursting point. And it was very heavy! Probably 25+ kilos. And this woman, and her commitment to customer service that seems to be in the DNA in Japan, was doing her best to keep a professional appearance while struggling to drag my bag off her trolley and into my door. I quickly tried to relieve her of the burden, as she was just an average sized Japanese lady, which is to say slight, and really didn't look capable of lifting something that heavy!

So I knew what I needed to do post hotel break - find a solution to my luggage situation, which was only going to get worse with a few days at Disney! I had weighed up a few options. Dragging two suitcases and carrying a backpack on the monorail, then on two trains to my last three days in Japan, which would be in Ueno, would be impossible. A taxi to this hotel would cost somewhere around $150-200. I even considered a taxi to one of the train connections, but still, I had read that many subways in Japan are accessed by stairs or escalators, and don't have a lot of elevators (although, my experience was different) so didn't want to chance it.

The other option was a luggage delivery service. I had read about these, even contacted the main company who provides this service, Yamato Transport, but still hadn't sorted it out.

I should probably explain - luggage delivery services will pick up your suitcase from a location and then deliver it directly to an airport (and vice versa). As I was planning (and quickly shopping my way towards!) two suitcases, I only needed one with me, with clothes, toiletries, etc. The other suitcase full of trip spoils could go on ahead of me. The only thing standing between me and
fulfilling my extreme shopping destiny was how to get my extra suitcase *to* Yamato.

I spoke to the concierge about this, and they explained that they can do it, but the delivery service they use only delivers to Haneda airport, not Narita (where I was flying out). So, scratch that option. So this Tuesday night was spent walking around the different places to try and track down somewhere that would deliver my suitcase. This included Bon Voyage (they only deliver to addresses in Japan, not airports), the convenience store right next to Maihama station (they don't offer the service), and Ikspiari (they suggested Bon Voyage or the hotel). I will put the solution in a separate post because it's such a handy piece of info it deserves to sit on it's own.

So I'll finish off this post with photos that I took of the night, including the light display out the front of Hotel Okura:

P1010956_zps985d8e10.jpg

And a couple of pretty shots through Ikspiari (even to this day, I read that as Ick-spee-arr-ee, lol, but it's actually pronounced like 'experience' without the 'ence' - ick-spear-ree).

P1010958_zpsfbbea8e5.jpg

P1010959_zpscc126b9f.jpg

Now, I have read a few trip reports where people rave about Ikspiari and how amazing it is. This wasn't my 'ikspiari' at all. I have to say, I was at the point in my holiday - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has this happen - that you've had so much interesting and exciting things going on, and have had to make so many decisions about what to do, where to eat, etc, that you kinda get a bit over it. It's almost like you need a day of boring routine to reset your perception lol so this night, when I wasn't trying to find answers to my luggage problem, was spent trying to decide where to eat. And I was tired and sooky and couldn't make up my mind. I ended up wasting a lot of time walking from one place to another and not deciding on what to do.

I should add that Ikspiari is one of those shopping centres that is laid out a bit funny, where you can only access this area by going down stairs at one end of the centre, and if you want to get to the other end of this floor, you have to go upstairs, walk to the other end, go downstairs again. At least, that's how I remember it! Yeah, clearly I was having holiday burnout lol I didn't find the stores in the centre all that exciting. Pretty much any department store or shopping centre I had been through in Japan at to this point was more interesting that what was offered here.

In the end, for dinner I bought some kind of flavoured potato balls from a food van being 'driven' by a large stuffed dog (only in Japan!):

P1010960_zps4d282dac.jpg

and then went back to my hotel:

P1010961_zps8d070b9c.jpg

P1010962_zps765f6fa6.jpg

yay, first full Disney day finally done!!

What a full day!

Looks like a lot of fun and so many different details to take in and enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

Ok, I think I've neglected this report for long enough! Here is the promised directions for luggage delivery. It's actually quite easy, as long as your patient enough to deal with the language barrier. I can't put a picture of the Google map of the 7/11 location, but here's a link that will show you how to get there:

https://goo.gl/maps/jhCLC

It's as simple as getting off the monorail at Resort Gateway, and then walking through Maihama station. Don't actually go through the barriers, because the barriers at the train station don't like it when you go in and then go out again in a short space of time. There is a bit of sorta walkway that passes through the station but doesn't have any barriers. Then, when you get on the side of the station facing away from the Disney parks, you will see a big pedestrian overpass. Walk across this, take a left at the end of the overpass, walk a little further straight ahead and you will see the 7/11 on your right.

So, when I visited the first night, and again when I dropped the bag off the next day, no one in the store could speak any English. And my half a dozen words of Japanese didn't get me very far, but the staff there were so, so patient! The night I dropped in I approached a young guy about tah-q-bin, because that's how it's spelt in English. He looked at me funny like I just made up a word. I've since been told that's not actually how the Japanese pronounce it. Luckily they had a Yamato sign (cute black cat carrying a kitten) stuck to the desk, so I pointed to that and he understood.

I tried to ask about if they could deliver luggage, when they would need it to get it to the airport on time, that sort of thing. I had Google translate on my phone, so I could plug in English and show it to him, but then he didn't have a way to respond. He pulled out his phone and flicked around, but obviously didn't have an app that would work. We both kinda looked at each other trying to figure out how to get around this. I handed him my phone, but he didn't know how to use the English keyboard. Another couple of awkward seconds and then, oh! That's right, Google Translate has a voice function! So I set the translate settings and then (I'm guessing) mimed at him to speak into the phone. When he handed the phone back to me, there would be English text of what he just said. I really love Google sometimes :blush: So that's how we conversed. I would text English that would translate to Japanese, hand the phone over to him, he would speak Japanese that would translate to English and hand it back. And this took a good half an hour at least! Even though there were other people coming and going in the store, he never acted like I was a nuisance or just tried to get rid of me. He was committed to seeing this through haha

Eventually he called out his manager and he had a form for me, and tried to explain how to fill it out. There is actually directions on how to complete it on their English website (the form is in Japanese, so you will need a guide). I explained that I didn't actually have the luggage with me, I just wanted to know if they *could* provide this service, and I'd be back with the bag tomorrow.

So after all that (and many thanks and bows) I had the situation sorted. I hope this might help others someday. If you're lucky enough to have the hotel provide this service to the airport you need, it wouldn't be half as complicated! But if not, this system works really well. I was a tiny bit apprehensive for the rest of my trip (did they pick up the bag? did I fill that form out right? is my bag even going to be at the airport when I get there??) but in the end, it was for nothing. The bag was at Narita airport waiting for me :thumbsup2

Wow what an ordeal! I'm glad I've been pre-warned because I always thought (don't know why) that many people would speak English in Japan (maybe like Hong Kong?).

It's been so long, I'd forgotten that I was subscribed to this thread :rotfl: But I'm looking forward to the next trip update :thumbsup2

In my experience, very few people speak a lot of English. Most of the people you come across as a tourist know or at least understand enough to get by. There were a few people I came across who noticed I was obviously not a local and made a beeline for me to try out their English, and a couple of times to help me out when I looked a bit lost :)

And yes, I've left this way too long. I just happen to have a shocking headcold, so why not sit on the couch and reminisce :rotfl: :sick:

Well, I was all ready to go a few hours ago, but what do you know, Disboards is down for it's nightly shutdown. Don't they realise it's six o'clock in the world somewhere? hehe

Ok, so now I'm onto full day two, which would be 19 November 2013, I think. The first Disneyland day!! I made it to the line just before rope drop, and find a long queue at the entrance. I had the plan of either Monsters Inc or Pooh's Hunny Hunt as the first stop. Having not been to the park before, I had to just figure it out as I went, so when the gates opened and the crowd was allowed to mill through, I gave the gorgeous Christmas decorations in World Plaza a quick glance and then rushed up the right hand side.

The fastpass station for Monsters Inc is not that far into the park, and sits on one of the last corners, and as I came up to it and saw the number of people already lined up, I decided to keep hustling. PHH, on the other hand, is way down the back of the park, so by the time I was down there, the number of people had thinned considerably. I guess there are other temptations with Space Mountain and Space Tours both passed along the way.

I got to the FP station just as the CM's were putting up the line ropes, changing it from just a group of people crowding around the machines to an orderly line. Each station had a CM next to it who would take your park ticket (or printout, as mine was) and put it in the scanner. It kept things moving quickly.

Hmm, I don't seem to have a photo of this fastpass, but I'm pretty sure it was for 10 or 11am. So I had plenty of time to kill. I checked out some of the other nearby smaller rides.

P1010963_zps5a5a754b.jpg

Love the detail on the side of the cars here:

P1010966_zpsbd718313.jpg

Of course, I had to ride the teacups!
P1010964_zpsc021c422.jpg

P1010967_zpsbf039c75.jpg

P1010968_zps99db0872.jpg

I didn't bother with Philharmagic. I figured it was probably in Japanese, and when I tried to see it in WDW the year before, it broke down just a minute or two in. So I didn't really want to spoil the show.

P1010969_zpse6c97064.jpg

I don't think I went on this carousel, but look how gorgeous it is...

P1010970_zps5fb7d993.jpg

P1010972_zps6b42311a.jpg

So this is the back side of the castle. And is that a topiary in the foreground?

P1010971_zps00114782.jpg

I know I also rode Peter Pan, but I don't seem to have photos of that either. I remember being blown away by it, though. It was so much slicker and prettier than what I remember the WDW version being. And I rode the Snow White ride. Look how bored this kid looks:

P1010973_zpscb42391d.jpg

hahahaha, there is actually a warning sign at the front of the ride for parents to be aware that the ride might scare their kids (it does get a bit dark and sinister at the end), but I don't think this kid was affected hahaha

And then I walked up towards Critter Country, perhaps to tempt myself with a possible ride on Splash Mountain? Not knowing how to scream 'get me off this thing!' in Japanese, I chickened out. But I got a lot of good photos of the area :)

I really wanted to ride this boat! Next time, next time...

P1010975_zps1603af91.jpg

Hmmm, is that the final drop? It really doesn't look that bad at all! Man, I really did chicken out...

P1010976_zps60cf08a8.jpg

P1010977_zps7b363236.jpg

P1010978_zps46ec22a8.jpg

And decided to stop for breakfast here:

P1010979_zpsc51c93f7.jpg

Love the detail

P1010980_zps43205690.jpg

So this is breakfast. That's a hot dog wrapped in cheese wrapped in a tortilla...and it was delicious in the most disgusting way! hahaha

P1010981_zps82481770.jpg

Continued next post...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter