Tower of Terror 10 Miler 2014

bellanotte10 said:
I have a few questions. I apologize if they've been asked before:

1. What does everyone put in their checked bag and are the lines as long as I think I've read they are to pick them up

2. What was the temperature for last years race

3. Who else keeps forgetting they're doing this race then when they remember, getting overly excited they're going to disney in about three months haha.

1) I don't check anything. I usually just put a clean wipe (can't remember the name they are basically wet ones that freshen you up after a race) in my fuel belt along with money and ID.

2) both years the race has been super hot. Last year I ran it in just a sports bra and shorts since it was so hot.

3) yes I keep forgetting because I have this, wine & dine, and avengers. I just think I keep putting it off because of the costs etc.

2) both years the race has been super hot. Last year I ran it in just a sports bra and shorts since it was so hot.

I wish I felt confident enough to do that!

I keep thinking that I should take apart a shirt and sew it cleverly to my sports bra, so that I have tummy coverage that feels right for me (a bit loose) AND my own sports bra. (b/c the shirts with built-ins don't really work for me) Might really have to think about that!

bumbershoot said:
I wish I felt confident enough to do that!

I keep thinking that I should take apart a shirt and sew it cleverly to my sports bra, so that I have tummy coverage that feels right for me (a bit loose) AND my own sports bra. (b/c the shirts with built-ins don't really work for me) Might really have to think about that!

The first year I kept it on due to confidence issues but the second year I was so hot I felt like I was going to pass out. Then I took my tank off and felt 100% better.

Thanks for the tips guys! We didn't check a bag after the princess in '13 because theres no party so we're not used to how disney bag checks work and what can you fit in there!

I thought the ticket discounts were great compared to the regular rates through Disney. The park hopper option was dirt cheap. But we decided to go with the free dining (for the first time) since we were only going to be buying a few days of park tickets and weren't interested in the hoppers.

Hey, at this point with Disney and the cost of races, I'll take anything I can get!!

This will be a first race with a party afterwards for us. But thanks to all who have posted about what items to bring. Love the wet towel in the ziploc and backpack to carry everything around. The good thing, is the majority of those there will stink too! Who knows, maybe, just maybe, we'll have temps in the upper 70s with low humidity and a light breeze!

Well..... we can wish, can't we!:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I am trying to register for the princess half and the 5k right now, and it is a NIGHTMARE. I had to wait to get onto the website, now it keeps crashing, and the phone line is actually busy. lol. Not on hold...busy signal. Sigh. :mad:

Anyone know about Disney visa discounts? For some reason I have had the card a few years but have never received an email or information on how to get the discount.

Anyone know about Disney visa discounts? For some reason I have had the card a few years but have never received an email or information on how to get the discount.

None announced for Princess yet, and I tried the usual codes (first or last 4 digits of the card number) with no luck. The last few races have sold out before Disney Visa coughed up a code, so I've pretty much written it off!

Ugh. One of my worst fears has come true.

Last night I dropped my laptop onto my foot and busted open my big toe. I have run with blisters and such before (even ran my first Tower with a bleeding toe) but was really hoping to give it my all this year.

Does anyone have advice on how to treat it. I have a pretty gnarly gash under the toe nail of my big toe. Last time this happened to me every time I thought it was healed it would split back open thus why I ran my first race with a bleeding toe. I am taking 1 week off to let it heal but really need to get back at it.

None announced for Princess yet, and I tried the usual codes (first or last 4 digits of the card number) with no luck. The last few races have sold out before Disney Visa coughed up a code, so I've pretty much written it off!

Well, bummer! It took me an hour and a half but I did finally get all registered! Looks like it is at 80% now. The princess board posters suggested emailing them about the discount, so I guess its worth a shot. Emails are free right?

And now I am even more determined to get to my local running store and get some new shoes. Whenever I go over 6 miles I can definitely feel it in my legs that I'm hitting pavement. Trying my darndest to avoid shin splints with now 2distance races coming up.

Ugh. One of my worst fears has come true.

Last night I dropped my laptop onto my foot and busted open my big toe. I have run with blisters and such before (even ran my first Tower with a bleeding toe) but was really hoping to give it my all this year.

Does anyone have advice on how to treat it. I have a pretty gnarly gash under the toe nail of my big toe. Last time this happened to me every time I thought it was healed it would split back open thus why I ran my first race with a bleeding toe. I am taking 1 week off to let it heal but really need to get back at it.
Not really advice, other than to see a foot doc if you can, regarding when you can get back to running.

I only recommend a foot doc because I had an ingrown toenail fixed 3 days before I ran the Marathon Relay in 2012. It was also a bit bloody, so I know what you're talking about! But the doc said it was OK to run!

Not really advice, other than to see a foot doc if you can, regarding when you can get back to running.

I only recommend a foot doc because I had an ingrown toenail fixed 3 days before I ran the Marathon Relay in 2012. It was also a bit bloody, so I know what you're talking about! But the doc said it was OK to run!

Thanks. I decided if it isn't any better by Sunday I'll go get checked out. It isn't broken or anything just the cut. I'm treating it like the black toe I had a few years ago now. However if it breaks open again I'm going to go see if they think stitches will help.

Thanks. I decided if it isn't any better by Sunday I'll go get checked out. It isn't broken or anything just the cut. I'm treating it like the black toe I had a few years ago now. However if it breaks open again I'm going to go see if they think stitches will help.

You could try New Skin and see if that will hold it closed. Or maybe your doc could use DermaBond or steri strips instead of stitches. It depends on how deep your cut is.

Ugh. One of my worst fears has come true. Last night I dropped my laptop onto my foot and busted open my big toe. I have run with blisters and such before (even ran my first Tower with a bleeding toe) but was really hoping to give it my all this year. Does anyone have advice on how to treat it. I have a pretty gnarly gash under the toe nail of my big toe. Last time this happened to me every time I thought it was healed it would split back open thus why I ran my first race with a bleeding toe. I am taking 1 week off to let it heal but really need to get back at it.
I would use a bandaid and then maybe a blister bandaid over that. In lost a toenail right before PHM last year and used toe caps. They would work well over a bandaid.
Good luck!

I would use a bandaid and then maybe a blister bandaid over that. In lost a toenail right before PHM last year and used toe caps. They would work well over a bandaid.
Good luck!

Oh thank you for the recommendation of toe caps. Everyone keeps telling me to just use those roll on finger covers but they always feel to tight. I will have to go look for toe caps.

Last night I really looked it over and I might have toenail bed damage so searching for a podiatrist to get it check out. Until then though I want to keep up with training and such so that I can finish better this year and actually get to enjoy the after party.

The suckiest part is this whole thing is making me miss my proof of time 10K for Avengers and Wine and Dine so I have to stick with my crummy 15:30 min/mile time.

So happy to have found y'all and I just finished catching up on this thread - yes, all 73 pages worth! :rotfl2: Can you tell I'm just a lil excited to do my first rD event?! :cool1:

Thx a mint for all the fab info and tips - loved seeing the pic of the medals! :thumbsup2

Best of luck to all of with ailments hindering your training...sending pixie dust for quick recoveries! pixiedust:

For those who have run the ToT before, how long did it take after you crossed the finish line to retrieve your stuff from bag check?

cheers,
:)

klam_chowder said:
For those who have run the ToT before, how long did it take after you crossed the finish line to retrieve your stuff from bag check?
:)

How long does it tak3 you to walk another mile? I never have bag checked but I always hear the jokes about mile 11 from my running group.

Let's assume, for the sake of sanity, that they do things as they did last year, not how they did it in 2012, k? After crossing the finish, you'll be handed your medal, then beverages and questions asked to make sure you're okay (I've only seen this go down at TOT - they want those water/Powerade bottles OPEN and to see you drinking, by golly!), then a snack pack and bananas. It's all a little hectic through there, but it's only a matter of minutes. Then you'll continue walking backstage to an entrance to the stage floor of the Indiana Jones Stunt Show. Maybe another 5-15 minutes, depending on your walking speed. (You can go at whatever pace you want, but can NOT stop; you'll be told to keep moving forward.) Bad retrieval is there, at the Indy stage. I waited all of 30 seconds for my bag. Then, you'll walk out the other end of the show stage, then out to the park.

I pulled over after getting my bag to change my shoes and get my post-race snack out, but all together it was maybe 20 mins from the time I finished to the time I was in the park, heading to a bathroom.

How long does it tak3 you to walk another mile? I never have bag checked but I always hear the jokes about mile 11 from my running group.
:rotfl: It can sure feel like another mile! The first year, they made us go up and down all the stupid stairs to get our bags in the Indy theater. Here's hoping they don't subject us to THAT unnecessary torture ever again! :scared:

I'm so glad they didn't make us climb up and down those Indy stairs like they did in 2012. That was so awful! Luckily it was better last year and we appreciated it.

Hello! Loving this thread!! Want to participate in the ToT run for 2015. What month does the registration open? Want to mark my calendar!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest