Tower of Terror 10 Miler 2014

Just wanted to let you all know that there is a user on YouTube who posted in real time a 5 part series of his run at the TOT 2013 . user is greg deese and titles are TOWER OF TERROR 10 MILER PART 1, 2,... to 5. I've watched them, as he races with his friends, race like about 10 times now start to finish. Just something I use for motivation plus its neat to see approximately what the course will be like. They use a 4:1 run/walk ratio which i plan on using on the course as well

Thanks for sharing this! I miss so much on the TOT course between paying attention to other runners and the dark - it was fun to see it all from my desk! These are always PERFECT for folks new to running Disney races to get a feel for the course conditions - crowded but manageable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For those who haven't yet seen - rD posted a pic of the medals!

10456814_959377130754916_1464144724643648585_n.jpg

Thanks for sharing this! I miss so much on the TOT course between paying attention to other runners and the dark - it was fun to see it all from my desk! These are always PERFECT for folks new to running Disney races to get a feel for the course conditions - crowded but manageable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For those who haven't yet seen - rD posted a pic of the medals!

10456814_959377130754916_1464144724643648585_n.jpg

Awesome pic. Can't wait. I ran today and at the time of my run, about 4 pm, it was 88'. Not quite FL humidity but I ran in the sun so it makes up for the lower humidity. I did 4.5 miles but it is my light day, my long run is on the weekend.

Here is a question to the runners out there. Sorry if I am sounding like a broken record. I am struggling. I have been since my 10K on 6/1. With the exception of a run here and there it feels like I am running in quicksand, like my legs are so heavy. Its not overtraining. The most miles I have done in a week is only like 14 or something. I know I will be fine for the ToT but there is no way, if this keeps up, that I will be ready for my marathon. But, I HAVE to finish that too. Does everyone go through this? Will I break through this wall eventually, I hope?

Just wanted to let you all know that there is a user on YouTube who posted in real time a 5 part series of his run at the TOT 2013 . user is greg deese and titles are TOWER OF TERROR 10 MILER PART 1, 2,... to 5. I've watched them, as he races with his friends, race like about 10 times now start to finish. Just something I use for motivation plus its neat to see approximately what the course will be like. They use a 4:1 run/walk ratio which i plan on using on the course as well

I watched the first 2 so far. Hard to hear the guy but very cool to see what the race will be like. I come away with a few thoughts:

I saw the fireball. That's funny.

I think PrincessV is right about her theory on corrals. I don't know what corral this guy started in but it wasn't the first. So, how are all the people in front of him going so slow? It's not like he is blazing a trail with his speed.

Slight panic attack for me. I have a touch of social anxiety and large crowds tend to bother me (except at WDW). There are A LOT of people. Gonna be rough for me.

How the heck does anyone think they will set a PR at a Disney race with all these people?

I am sure I will come up with more as I watch more. Still a cool race. I am excited.

Here is a question to the runners out there. Sorry if I am sounding like a broken record. I am struggling. I have been since my 10K on 6/1. With the exception of a run here and there it feels like I am running in quicksand, like my legs are so heavy. Its not overtraining. The most miles I have done in a week is only like 14 or something. I know I will be fine for the ToT but there is no way, if this keeps up, that I will be ready for my marathon. But, I HAVE to finish that too. Does everyone go through this? Will I break through this wall eventually, I hope?

What's your diet like? Enough good quality protein? Enough calories to begin with? Hydration? I would say electrolytes but others would say "no" because your mileage isn't necessarily high enough. I was starting from nothing and I'm a heavy sweater whose face tastes like salt after a 5K, so for me, electrolytes YES.

I saw the fireball. That's funny.

In real life...soooo not funny. So HOT. You can immediately feel the heat blast over your body, even if you are nowhere near it. Cool-looking but dreadfully hot when trying to run in 200 degree heat! (slight exaggeration)

I think PrincessV is right about her theory on corrals. I don't know what corral this guy started in but it wasn't the first. So, how are all the people in front of him going so slow? It's not like he is blazing a trail with his speed.

Slight panic attack for me. I have a touch of social anxiety and large crowds tend to bother me (except at WDW). There are A LOT of people. Gonna be rough for me.

How the heck does anyone think they will set a PR at a Disney race with all these people?
You're right, most people don't PR at rD races. So the runners in front of him that are going slow likely PR'd at a local race to get in a corral closer to the front. This allows them to take it slow for the rD races, stop for character photos, and just enjoy. Yes, it often causes slower traffic and makes those in the mid-to-back corrals upset sometimes as they're trying to hurry along and either not be swept or actually trying for a PR. It's just the way it goes. Don't let those debbie-downers ruin your fun at the race, because you will run into them. Or rather, they will run into you!

It is a large crowd, and the social aspect is most apparent while waiting around pre-race, especially in the corrals. Once you start moving, especially after the first few miles, you will find your own space and can relax! Hopefully you can come up with something to distract yourself whilst waiting in the corral. Music, yoga, meditate.... or just be brave and strike up a conversation with the folks around you. We're all in the same boat with the race, so there's endless "running" things to talk about!

I love the medals! I can't wait to earn mine and it is definitely helping me put one foot in front of the other when I am lacking internal drive. I put it as my "motivational picture" on RunKeeper so every time I open the app to start a run it is there encouraging me to do it! :goodvibes

What's your diet like? Enough good quality protein? Enough calories to begin with? Hydration? I would say electrolytes but others would say "no" because your mileage isn't necessarily high enough. I was starting from nothing and I'm a heavy sweater whose face tastes like salt after a 5K, so for me, electrolytes YES.

In real life...soooo not funny. So HOT. You can immediately feel the heat blast over your body, even if you are nowhere near it. Cool-looking but dreadfully hot when trying to run in 200 degree heat! (slight exaggeration)

I have been drinking a lot more water now that it's getting hotter. So, I am pretty sure I am hydrated. For my weight loss goals I need to take in about 1850 calories a day. On a day I exercise I will take in at least 2100 or more depending on how much I burned in the workout. I know eating too little slows down your metabolism so I try to adjust it to fuel my workouts depending on what it is that day.

As far as quality. I eat a veggie omlet for breakfast. For lunch I eat a salad with turkey or chicken and tons of veggies. Dinner is usually turkey or chicken burgers with even more veggies and some hummus. And for a snack I do a bowl of some kind of fresh fruit. My fats,carbs, and protiens are usually pretty equally split.

As I was typing this I realized I forgot to ask my doctor at my appointment last week to refer me to a nutritionist.

You're right, most people don't PR at rD races. So the runners in front of him that are going slow likely PR'd at a local race to get in a corral closer to the front. This allows them to take it slow for the rD races, stop for character photos, and just enjoy. Yes, it often causes slower traffic and makes those in the mid-to-back corrals upset sometimes as they're trying to hurry along and either not be swept or actually trying for a PR. It's just the way it goes. Don't let those debbie-downers ruin your fun at the race, because you will run into them. Or rather, they will run into you!

It is a large crowd, and the social aspect is most apparent while waiting around pre-race, especially in the corrals. Once you start moving, especially after the first few miles, you will find your own space and can relax! Hopefully you can come up with something to distract yourself whilst waiting in the corral. Music, yoga, meditate.... or just be brave and strike up a conversation with the folks around you. We're all in the same boat with the race, so there's endless "running" things to talk about!

The part about them setting a PR in the race for POT, that makes sense.

I don't think it will ruin my fun. I will talk to anyone in the corral. I do think it would be more fun to run it with someone else but I don't have that option so I will certainly talk to others while I am there. Very out of character for me given I am pretty introverted but it's Disney.

Been a few days since the last post, must mean everyone's busy training! Hope everyone is doing well.

Are they still offering discount park tickets if you do the ToT? And can anyone tell me the cost? I'm thinking about doing it next year and was looking to see how much $ we can save compared to regular price. :cutie:

Are they still offering discount park tickets if you do the ToT? And can anyone tell me the cost? I'm thinking about doing it next year and was looking to see how much $ we can save compared to regular price. :cutie:

It isn't much. I think I have seen 10% if that. They no longer have the awesome discounted ones for runners like they use to.

I am going with a 2 day park hopper for $159. It is $249 on Disney's site. That's $90 savings. It's a pretty big discount if you ask me. A 3 day base ticket thru runDisney is the same price as a 2 day on Disney's site.

My 6 day hoppers through runDisney were $281 plus tax. It was the best deal I came across. Not enough of a discount to cover the cost of the race, but I'll take it ;) :thumbsup2

So has anyone who booked with RunDisney figured out a way to be able to get fastpass+ for their trip? Currently, if you book for RunDisney you cannot put your tickets on the magic bands until you check into your hotel or you can buy them out from your package, but lose your dining plan. I posted about it here under the title: RunDisney & Fastpass+ Fail (I would post the link but since I haven't posted enough disboard won't let me. Although, I promise I am not a spambot ;) ) Looking for advice because let's be real, I want to have some fastpasses as well as my dining package. Ps. Hope everyone's training is going well!
I had to call RunDisney. They separated my tickets from my room/ticket package. I had to pay the tickets off but room still didn't have to be paid off until later. They immediately gave me a confirmation # that could be entered into MDE and the tickets are in the mail. I've already entered the # and am now ready to book fastpass+ in 25 days.

Don't ask me how or why, but I still have tickets on my account from a family trip in May 2013. They were part of a package and as an MDE hiccup they won't go away even though fully used. But, I discovered that they allow me to book at the 60 day window :cool1:. Just making MDE work for me I guess!

Does anyone know how many tickets you can get for the discounted price? I would like to get a 2 bedroom at BWV for 7 people next year.

I have a few questions. I apologize if they've been asked before:

1. What does everyone put in their checked bag and are the lines as long as I think I've read they are to pick them up

2. What was the temperature for last years race

3. Who else keeps forgetting they're doing this race then when they remember, getting overly excited they're going to disney in about three months haha.

I left my stuff with hubby instead of checking but I had a yoga dress to change into for the after party, new unders, comfy flip flops.... He brought a small towel from the room which was nice to dry my hair etc.

Temperature was hot and sticky.

I just woke with my first 'ack ack ack!" dream for Disneyland half or Wine and Dine or wdw half (the three I have planned). Not sure that counts as excitement or not. :)

I have a few questions. I apologize if they've been asked before: 1. What does everyone put in their checked bag and are the lines as long as I think I've read they are to pick them up 2. What was the temperature for last years race 3. Who else keeps forgetting they're doing this race then when they remember, getting overly excited they're going to disney in about three months haha.
1. Everything but the kitchen sink, here. ;) A change of clothes, fresh shoes, foam roller, wet washcloth in a ziploc, hat, Clif bar, and a backpack to stuff everything in - much easier to carry around the after party than those bag/check bags. There was no line at all when I got my bag - walked up, have my number, had my bag in 30 seconds!

2. High that day was around 90, I believe, with a start-time temp of around 80, 90ish% humidity. HOT and HUMID.

3. I kind of wish I could forget lol! I live in FL and every miserable training run is a reminder. (9 miles this morning, 85*, 88% humidity and no shade for the last couple miles - I seriously questioned why I keep signing up for fall races.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter