To park hop or not ?

We usually have 10 day tickets and we always have hoppers. We plan our mornings, break in the afternoon and decide what we want to do in the evening. We like the flexibility of hoppers and being able to be spontaneous. I don't think I would enjoy Disney without the ability to just "wing it" sometimes. I do not do well with too much scheduling.

Park hoppers give you an all-access pass to whatever you feel like doing. Not having them, "forces" you to make the most of the "park of the day". Instead of hopping to ride/see your favorites over and over, you'll be more likely to sit and watch the dancing fountain, or the smaller pop-up shows (for example). So, do you want an all-access vacation, or a "forced" stop and smell the roses, vacation?

The cost of a hopper is about the same (less than $10 difference) as one HEA Terrace dessert party. For me I'll take the value of 10 days of hopping over one dessert party without hesitation... Everyone sees value differently however.
For my family, on our most recent trip (dec 2017) it was around $500 extra for the hoppers. I just don’t think if you have 10 park days and you’re already on the fence about the parkhoppers, that they’re necessary. Plenty to do in each park to keep you occupied for a day.

We would stay for 10 days in the WDW parks ;)

You would do it, or you are? Many are answering as though you said you ARE having a 10-day park trip. It makes a difference.

Maybe a 1/2 day in AK and 1 day in DHS.

Oof that would soooo be the opposite for me. AK is so immersive and big, with so much to do and see and experience, I cannot imagine a half day there.

And MK and epcot get old to me; if you are truly doing 10 park days and having 7 for MK and epcot, I'm not sure you need to hop.

My stepfather on the other hand, swears by hoppers because he feels like he can then take advantage of EMH and then leave that park and head to another one that’s less busy.

Very valid reason.

Are you on vacation or running a race? Take your time, see the sights, do one park per day max and if you don't need the whole day, ride the monorail, a boat, check out the resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

Yep, we're all different!!! No right or wrong, but according to our wants/needs. Hoppers are money well spent for us, whereas we wouldn't put out $75 ea. (or whatever) for a few sugary desserts that for the most part we wouldn't enjoy!
To each their own, right??? :P

The cost to add a park hopper to a 10 day adult ticket is only $75. It's easy to spend your money, but I would go for it. It allows you to take full advantage of EMH, dining options, and pool time.

We like the strategy of starting at one park at rope drop and getting your fast passes for after lunch at park #2. It's a great feeling going into a crowded park with fast passes ready to go!

Consider your family's ages and willingness to maximize the park hours. Perfect for older kids and adults (ours are 14 and 12 now) but not great for younger ones who are done after 3/4 day in the parks.

Also, where you are staying is a factor. It's really easy to park hop between MK-Epcot at a Monorail resort or HS-Epcot at the Epcot resorts.

Have a magical vacation!

my husband and I have AP's, but when we bring the kids it depends on the number of days. When we went for 3 park days we got them hoppers, when we went for six park days, we got them base tickets. With 10 days, I don't see the need for it. JMHO . ::yes::::yes::

Now we are so up in the air. :confused3

Our choice hotels are WL (nature view - we hated the pool view)
OR
The Dolphin (once Starwood, now will be Marriott this August 2018, bought over by them)
We build up Marriott points and the Marriott owned Dolphin may still give the RN discount, which my DD is one. So if my DD and her boyfriend join us - maybe she can get 2 rooms at a RN discount rate. :)
If the Dolphin...
Then it may pay to park-hop being so close EPCOT and DHS.
Or from MK go to EPCOT and then back to the Dolphin.

AK is not my DH favorite park.
I may be able to convince him for 1 day at AK, if he sees some of the new rides.
My DH thinks AK is too hot and the walkways are not large enough to handle crowds.

Our time to visit will be early May - before it is really hot and humid, before schools are out, and before the major hurricane season begins. Plus my DH loves the Flower and Garden Festival :daisy:

Discount tickets/per pseron are a $67 difference between no-park hop and park hop .
It may pay to buy if only park hop 5 days out of 10 - only $13.40 a day/per person !

Last edited:
I've been going since the early 80's, and still go frequently. If you haven't or don't go often, hopping parks seems like a waste of valuable time. A lot of people like the ability to change parks, particularly 8f they've already seen it all. Although we have AP's and can hop whenever we want, we never do. We like to relax and take it a bit slower on vacation as a break from the pace of the everyday grind. YMMV, of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!