To park hop or not ?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
We would stay for 10 days in the WDW parks ;)

We like MK and EPCOT the best.
Maybe a 1/2 day in AK and 1 day in DHS.
On the 1/2 day in AK we could use the resort pool, mini-golf, or do Disney Springs :flower3:

For EPCOT and MK - should we park hop ?
Reasons why or why not please.
I know the monorail goes between the two (connecting at the TTC)

:thanks:

The last time we purchased park hopper tickets we only park hopped 1 of the five days. While that was a fun day, we decided it just wasn't worth the cost of 4 park hopper tickets. So, the last few years we haven't park hopped and didn't really miss it.

Since you're doing 10 park days I wouldn't park hop. I'd stay longer in each park and get a lot done.

Although I'm an AP and we park hop every day that we're at the parks

We stay 10 days and park hop almost every day. We like the flexibility. And with 10 days you don't need to get a lot done every day, you can take your time and enjoy the holiday.

"Hey look, a Flight of Passage fast pass is available at AK, let's go!"

We like to be able to dine at Epcot but start at MK... We like to begin at a non EMH park and finish at a late night EMH park.

For us it is all about flexibility... last trip we visited MK 9 times, sometimes just for fireworks or to get in a bunch of rides while everyone else was waiting for and watching fireworks. One night we went just to get some specific photos we didn't get earlier in the trip because we were in a hurry.

We were at WL, so it was an easy trip to MK from the resort.

I like to park hop and would definitely buy the hopper for a ten day trip. Even if you don't want to hop every day, by the end of your trip, you might be wanting a little more flexibility to go back and get your favorites done one more time. It's also fun to take an afternoon break and then end up at a different park, fresh for the afternoon. Also, the cost of adding hoppers to a longer ticket ends up not being as much per day.

There's no wrong answer though. And of course, you can always add the hopper feature to your ticket later if you don't decide to purchase it now.

Also, do note that you can add on the hopper just by going to customer service. Maybe start without the hopper and then if you feel like hopping just go to a customer service window and add it. I usually am only doing one or two days at a Disney park on vacation and usually don't hop. But it really depends on my mood and what I want to do on the trip. One time I did a one day park hopper. MK in the morning on a party day, the Titanic attraction in the afternoon, and Epcot in the evening. It was just a three night two day trip and we did one day at SeaWorld too.

I am going to Orlando next March four night/three day trip with just one Disney day and just doing a full day at the MK.
In 2020, I'll be in Paris and will do a one day park hopper -- want to see both of the parks, but only want to spend one of our Paris days doing Disney.

With 10 days too it really could go either way -- you have so much time to do whatever, so why not hop. Or you have so much time to do whatever, so no need to hop you can hit that park you feel like going to again tomorrow.

A real advantage of hopping is that if you are visiting during Magic Kingdom party season when the Magic Kingdom closes early on lot sof nights, you can see everything and go on a less crowded day if you have a park hopper. Parties really skew MK crowds. The MK has light crowds on party days because you are forced to leave early (so it's a great time to go). And the crowds on non party days are insane, because so many people without hoppers are going just one day and want to see fireworks, not be forced to leave early. I like to go on party days and leave after the 3:00 parade before party people get there (they can arrive at 4, even though the party doesn't start till 6 or so). And if you have a park hopper, you have the option to go to another park. Also with the park hopper if you do want to see the MK fireworks on the rare days it is open late, you can do another less crowded park by day and just hop over (only subjecting yourself to a few hours of insane crowds) to go over then.

Last edited:
With 10 days I don’t see the need. Save the money and put it toward HEA terrace dessert party and some character meals.

We would stay for 10 days in the WDW parks ;)

We like MK and EPCOT the best.
Maybe a 1/2 day in AK and 1 day in DHS.
On the 1/2 day in AK we could use the resort pool, mini-golf, or do Disney Springs :flower3:

For EPCOT and MK - should we park hop ?
Reasons why or why not please.
I know the monorail goes between the two (connecting at the TTC)

:thanks:
I would get the park hopper. It’s nice to do one park in the morning, take a break, and choose a different park at night. Also, even if you don’t get the hopper, you should really consider more than a half day at AK. It’s such a beautiful park at night!

We don’t park hop. When we factored in waiting for transportation (and getting 3 kids on and off of said transportation) it really starts cutting into the day. Time spent waiting for the bus/ monorail and riding it could be spent enjoying the park I was already visiting. For me, there’s enough rushing around and hopping just fuels the “gotta do it all!” mentality.

My stepfather on the other hand, swears by hoppers because he feels like he can then take advantage of EMH and then leave that park and head to another one that’s less busy.

Will not do Disney without AP's or park hoppers. Too restrictive for us. We love the flexibility of going wherever/whenever we want. Sometimes a much sought after FP will be available in another park, or we just decide to want different scenery and head to 'wherever'. We have never stayed in one park all day, but may, or not, return to it for a night show, etc.

We almost never hop on short stays, but on a 10 day stay always purchase it and use it. On a longer stay as you have, we never feel the pressure to stay all day in any park, so we will go for a few hours in one, head out for the resort ot to do something else for lunch, and back for dinner an evening in a different park.

Add another vote for getting Park Hoppers; I hop practically every single day I'm there (sometimes twice in a day). The advantages are that you can rope drop a park that will be really busy later in the day, and then hop to another and ride so many different rides with short lines (and use your FP's accordingly). Also, if a park surprises you with crowds you can escape with your hopper. If there is a nighttime show you fall in love with you can go as many times as you want while still spending your day elsewhere. Some parks are just day parks or night parks, and you can piece together your trip exactly how you want to. You can also eat wherever you want for your meals, as well as rides.

So, during our recent trip one of my days looked like this; rope drop AK just for Pandora, then on to EPCOT for lunch and rides, then a pit stop at the hotel, then on to HS for a ride on SDD. We never felt hurried or trapped either one.

Park hopping gets easier as the kiddos get bigger... We did it a couple times when they were tots and didn't think much of it. Now that they are much bigger its back in play. If I were staying 10 days, I likely would not park hop.. but 5 or less, you betcha!

For an adult or big kid trip I like the hoppers. They aren't necessary, but they can be fun especially if there are certain rides or restaurants you weren't able to fit in on your first park day at a certain theme park.

If you are staying at a Boardwalk resort (BWI, BC/YC, Swan/Dolphin) I think PH are a definite must! The International Gate to Epcot and to be able to walk to HS is just too tempting!

Park Hopping is very personal and subjective, every single person is going to have a good reason to do it or not to do it. We have been going since there were only two parks and even back then we got park hoppers. We like the ability to move on to another park if we decide to, if it's too crowded or we just aren't feeling the park we are at and we like the fact that we can make ADRs anywhere we want, because we don't make them in advance. A lot of people don't like them because they feel it takes too much time to change parks, if you are there for 10 days you aren't going to be in a hurry and can take the time to actually relax. To us MK is a half day park at best but we do like to hop over there for a hour or two and shop or eat or just hang out. Epcot and HS are our favorite parks and we tend to spend part of every single day at both of them.

For us, the flexibility of park hopping is part of the Disney magic. We especially love to "dine around the world" in EPCOT in the evening after spending the day in another park.

Add me to the camp that believes, the longer the trip, the more you are going to want to have hoppers. They become more valuable over time as you're no longer in a rush to get things done, and they provide great flexibility. They are even more valuable for people that enjoy Epcot, as you've stated you do. Epcot is a great day to spend an evening after spending the earlier part of the day somewhere else.

We have ten day hoppers for our next trip. We are staying at BWV and DHS is DD's favorite park. We are planning on hopping just about everyday. On the days we aren't hopping I can see us just stopping in Epcot for a quick meal or if we see a good FP at another park just doing a quick run. It's the flexibility of having a longer trip and being so close to Epcot and DHS.

Are you on vacation or running a race? Take your time, see the sights, do one park per day max and if you don't need the whole day, ride the monorail, a boat, check out the resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

Save the money and put it toward HEA terrace dessert party and some character meals.

The cost of a hopper is about the same (less than $10 difference) as one HEA Terrace dessert party. For me I'll take the value of 10 days of hopping over one dessert party without hesitation... Everyone sees value differently however.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter