To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

I know I need to do more core work, too... I am hoping that I'll get some at Orangetheory when they finally open :)

Another way I looked at it as well. If I get a Peloton and participate in their classes, some of them are like Orangetheory and centered around weights and running. So I wanted to get a leg up at this point and see if it's something I can be consistent with before investing in a treadmill with that option.

If you end up with a really strong core to go with your fast legs then you are completely ready for some ballroom dance lessons. I'm thinking swing and quickstep. Let me know if you want a crash course when you are in town...Unless you have something bigger to focus on once in Chicago :)

If you end up with a really strong core to go with your fast legs then you are completely ready for some ballroom dance lessons. I'm thinking swing and quickstep. Let me know if you want a crash course when you are in town...Unless you have something bigger to focus on once in Chicago :)

Doughnuts... definitely doughnuts.... Although I probably will be in the Chicago area during the summer to test the Peloton out before I need to make a decision. Not sure about the dancing part. Used to cut a rug freelance style back in the day, but I've left those days behind me for now...

tenor.gif

Survived the first day of the McMillan routine!

Front Plank - 3 x 10 seconds (not that bad, third one was edging on hard)
Side Plank - 3 x 10 seconds (not that bad, Steph was unable to do it)
Leg Lowering - 10 repetitions (tough to get a feeling for when my back came off the ground)
Metronome - 5 repetitions (felt weird, but accomplishable)
Sit-up with a Twist - 5 repetitions (easy peasy, could feel it in the abs)
Jane Fonda - 10 repetitions (not sure I'm doing it right, holding the foot at that angle seems weird)
Balance Ball - 5 seconds (since no balance ball we did the "I Run Fast" move on one leg. Stand on one leg. With the leg in the air spell out "I RUN FAST" with your foot. I struggled mightily with this one and maintaining balance while trying to spell. Definite room for improvement)

Overall this felt easier than my old MWB workout. Especially the old suitcase crutches with a MB right into the Russian twist with the MB. That sequence always ripped me up. But I know it's going to get tougher in the next few weeks.

Side planks are the devil. Just sayin'

My core workout has side planks that you have to hold for 30 seconds - but only 1 time. They suck. Great job getting it done!

Side planks are the devil. Just sayin'

My core workout has side planks that you have to hold for 30 seconds - but only 1 time. They suck. Great job getting it done!

Good to know. It was too early in the morning so I can't remember why, but she said she couldn't even attempt the side planks. But she crushed me on the "I RUN FAST" exercise. In 4-6 weeks we build up to 3 x 45 sec on both the front and side plank. So I better start nailing the technique now.

Another plan has wrapped up!

Plan #139
Name: jennamfeo
Race/Distance: Red Rock Canyon Half Marathon
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 12 weeks
Continuous or Run/Walk: Continuous
Days per Week: 4 days
# of Hard Days (per week): 2 days (Daniels T, HM Tempo, or Long Run)
Peak Week Duration: 5:51:55
Peak Week Mileage: 31 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:14:13
Peak Single Run Mileage: 12 miles
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): 2:26:49 (May 2016)
Expectations Going into it: I was never good at sticking to a training plan, so I first worried that I would make excuses and not follow through. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed having a training plan that I thought was well calculated to me personally (versus me just throwing mileage together) and I looked forward to my workouts! I knew I was going to benefit from this plan and I totally did!
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: Once I worked out the kinks of where to get my workouts in (took a few weeks), I was able to follow my plan pretty much to a T. I only skipped one workout during my taper week out of sheer laziness if I am going to be completely honest.
Testimonial: The hype is REAL. Billy has done all the researching, studying, and #math to be able to make efficient training plans based on your current fitness level. I never felt like what I was given was too hard or too easy. Every workout felt like a perfect match for me. While I didn't PR on the race that I was training for, I did PR a HM mid-plan by 4 minutes, and I know for a fact that without this training plan there was no way that I would have done nearly as well as I did on my scheduled HM (it was a doozy). Once my training was over, it felt like a good book that you didn't want to end and I can't wait to start my next DopeyBadger Plan (TM).

I had two other plans wrap up this weekend but neither were able to give me a good assessment on the plans. Early-on injuries or hectic life schedule prevented them from being completed. However, I'm happy to report that both runners were able to finish their events! So Huzzah!

Thanks for the website. With the Joe Friel zones, do you know what LTHR is? Do you have an opinion of the 8 different formulas and the 2 for biking? Is one of them better than the others? I know you say it is important to train by effort, but I am curious this.

Thanks for the website. With the Joe Friel zones, do you know what LTHR is? Do you have an opinion of the 8 different formulas and the 2 for biking? Is one of them better than the others? I know you say it is important to train by effort, but I am curious this.

LTHR = Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (per the note underneath the HRs). It appears they have used 85% of HRmax as the determination of LTHR. While the Lactate Threshold is roughly 60 min race pace, it does not have to be 85% for the masses. Research has shown it can be quite variable. The best of the best can get their LT to be as high as the low 90s% of HRmax.

My preferred method for HR methodology for running is Heart Rate Reserve which takes into account both HRmax and HRrest. I find it matches my belief system the most. Keep in mind that 220-age is not a good estimate of HRmax. It's merely an average, but individuals can be as much as +/-15 from that value easily. My 220-age is 188. I'm almost certain my HRmax is around 172-177 based on training.

maxHR - restHR = HRR

(HRR*0.67) + restHR = 67% HRR

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 1.07.12 PM.png

As for the biking, I have little to no experience with their methodology. I merely was aiming to find a HR that would be nearly all easy/aerobic. So more or less I was looking for that. Since the aerobic zone is usually quite large I felt comfortable saying as long as I'm under 132 I'm likely in the easy/aerobic zone.

Every triathlete starts out by saying, nope, I like sport X too much to ever do all three. :)

Alright... alright... I have to admit I actually don't hate the bike. It's been definitely challenging some muscle weaknesses. Still no triathlons. So now, what's the cheapest setup I could do to get on Zwift? All while knowing I have zero interest in riding a bike outdoors. My plan would be to do this in addition and not in replacement of running (but as another possible option during non-ideal winter weather days or early mornings).

-Cheap used bike (maybe BIL, UIL, or used bike shop)? I mean if I never really have any desire to ride it outside is there really anything special about one bike vs another using purely Zwift?
-Trainer? Simple one that just mounts the bike? Having something with auto corrections for Zwift elevation would be interesting (but looks to be expensive at $500-600ish).
-Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor OR Wahoo sensor?
-Garmin Ant+ Sensor?

Plus, things I already plan on buying because of the treadmill:
-Apple Lightning + USB to get Zwift from iPhone to TV
-TV

Anything else? Any recommendations? I'd need to keep this pretty cheap for it even to have a remote possibility of happening.

Alright... alright... I have to admit I actually don't hate the bike. It's been definitely challenging some muscle weaknesses. Still no triathlons. So now, what's the cheapest setup I could do to get on Zwift? All while knowing I have zero interest in riding a bike outdoors. My plan would be to do this in addition and not in replacement of running (but as another possible option during non-ideal winter weather days or early mornings).

-Cheap used bike (maybe BIL, UIL, or used bike shop)? I mean if I never really have any desire to ride it outside is there really anything special about one bike vs another using purely Zwift?
-Trainer? Simple one that just mounts the bike? Having something with auto corrections for Zwift elevation would be interesting (but looks to be expensive at $500-600ish).
-Garmin Ant+ Sensor?

-TV

Anything else? Any recommendations? I'd need to keep this pretty cheap for it even to have a remote possibility of happening.

1. Sounds like quite the setup, whatever you decide. Going for a treadmill man cave?
2. I have friends who have done triathlons, but I don’t think I’ll ever do it. I am far too weak of a swimmer.

1. Sounds like quite the setup, whatever you decide. Going for a treadmill man cave?

Still in the planning phases at the moment trying to figure out all my options. But this is what I've got thus far:

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 9.11.10 PM.png

I'm still undecided on the treadmill. The Norditrack 2950 is a contender as are several other brands around $4000. The enticing thing at the moment about the Peloton is the $150 monthly financing that is interest free for all 39 months.

-Stryd for increased treadmill accuracy and Zwift run capability. Could do another footpod to save a few dollars.
-Chromecast to get Netflix, Bravo Now, etc.
-Dumbells for Peloton workouts
-Fan for cooling
-Apple Lightning + HDMI for iPhone to TV hookup for Zwift
-Then choice of visual - 24 in TV (cheap), 10in iPad, 12in iPad, or 40in 4k tv. Because of the proximity of the tv to eye, I'm leaning to the 40in 4k (because it's so close). Cheap 4k TV that's not even close to cinema quality but it'll do the trick.

Then, trying to figure out the configuration in the basement:

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 8.58.35 PM.png

The grey area are lower cabinets and allowing sufficient opening/working space. The tan areas have lower ceilings (or lower lights) at 85in instead of 95in. If I stand on the elliptical I am at 84 inch, which means I can't use it if it falls under that space. I can't be 100% on the height of me on the Tread yet.

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 8.58.48 PM.png

Another option that is better because it leaves more Gigi space throughout. But it eliminates the elliptical for me and leaves 7in for Steph's head. We'll see if that is sufficient.

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 9.31.35 PM.png

Then just taking the view that isn't from the top-down but rather how it would appear when looking at the wall. I wanted to see what the tv would look like over the very tall 32in monitor of the Peloton. It looks like they'll be close to flush (but there will be a little distance between them).

Might as well see what it would take to add a bike to the mix. Which at the moment looks like $100-250 for a used bike, $70 for Wahoo cadence/speed sensor (bluetooth to iPhone), Travel Trac Trainer ($130 mentioned by DC Rainmaker in 2018 trainer reviews). About $500 all in isn't a terrible price. Plus, I know a few people with bike equipment that might be looking to upgrade if I give them a good price on their used current items.

-Garmin Ant+ Sensor?

-TV

The cheapest way to get started with Zwift is with a cheap bike and a used fluid trainer. A smart/controllable trainer makes Zwifting more fun because it's more accurate and changes the resistance in line with the elevation changes, but it's not necessary. I used a fluid trainer while training for my Ironman and did just fine with it. For sensors, if you're going to be running Zwift on your iPhone, you should get Bluetooth sensors. iPhones cannot read the ANT+ signals the software will need from your sensors. I think Wahoo and a few other companies make Bluetooth speed and cadence sensors. Another option instead of using your phone is to use an Apple TV. They're not very expensive, relatively, and have much better picture and processing power.

This article has some good advice and tips too.

https://zwiftinsider.com/ios-faq/

The cheapest way to get started with Zwift is with a cheap bike and a used fluid trainer. A smart/controllable trainer makes Zwifting more fun because it's more accurate and changes the resistance in line with the elevation changes, but it's not necessary. I used a fluid trainer while training for my Ironman and did just fine with it. For sensors, if you're going to be running Zwift on your iPhone, you should get Bluetooth sensors. iPhones cannot read the ANT+ signals the software will need from your sensors. I think Wahoo and a few other companies make Bluetooth speed and cadence sensors. Another option instead of using your phone is to use an Apple TV. They're not very expensive, relatively, and have much better picture and processing power.

This article has some good advice and tips too.

https://zwiftinsider.com/ios-faq/

Thanks! This is all great stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter