To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

The Peloton Tread is out! I was doing some research and stumbled upon the fact that peloton displays on their bikes can't do anything but Peloton. That means they can't do Netflix (or other 3rd party apps). Now, it makes sense for a spin bike because it's mostly useful with a class. And the angle of the display on the bike means you could watch a show instead of that screen. But the Peloton Tread's 32" monitor is right up in your face.

maxresdefault.jpg

Not really looking anywhere but that when you're running. I contacted Peloton support and they confirmed what I was afraid of. At this time, it will only support Peloton classes. Although, they said as the release gets closer there "may be more information as to what the touchscreen can stream". So open ended. We shall see. In the mean time, I'm going to look over more options.

While it would certainly be nice to stream what you want to that nice big screen, if you want the treadmill for other reasons like the classes, they do make lots of options to hang tablets off the top of treadmills. :) I have this particular one, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006B7R3Y2/ It's not available anymore, but it sure got me through my first winter of training for Tink 2015. We had so much snow that winter that I ran the first ~10 weeks of Galloway's plan on the treadmill with a LOT of Netflix... I didn't make it outdoors for my very first run until the 11.5 miler!

While it would certainly be nice to stream what you want to that nice big screen, if you want the treadmill for other reasons like the classes, they do make lots of options to hang tablets off the top of treadmills. :) I have this particular one, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006B7R3Y2/ It's not available anymore, but it sure got me through my first winter of training for Tink 2015. We had so much snow that winter that I ran the first ~10 weeks of Galloway's plan on the treadmill with a LOT of Netflix... I didn't make it outdoors for my very first run until the 11.5 miler!

That's a pretty good idea. Seems reasonable dependent on a good location on the Tread to do it. This would also make it possible then to use it for Zwift which I think might be fun. Decisions... decisions.... good thing I don't have to make any for quite some time. Thanks for the tip!

That's a pretty good idea. Seems reasonable dependent on a good location on the Tread to do it. This would also make it possible then to use it for Zwift which I think might be fun. Decisions... decisions.... good thing I don't have to make any for quite some time. Thanks for the tip!
I tried Zwift on Monday for my 5 mi EA pace of 12:04. I ended up using AirPlay to mirror it from my phone to my older AppleTV. Then I watched Netflix on my iPad, so I could use my Bluetooth headphones. It was interesting. I didn’t join a group, so I was out there by myself with all these cyclists passing me. Also, it didn’t really like my slow pace so much. Occasionally it would show me walking. I think it is a neat concept, but I’m not a fan of running a lot of miles on the Treadmill - so I’m not sure how much I would use it. When I have to run inside, I prefer the indoor track, since I have access to a decently sized one (6 laps per mile).

I tried Zwift on Monday for my 5 mi EA pace of 12:04. I ended up using AirPlay to mirror it from my phone to my older AppleTV. Then I watched Netflix on my iPad, so I could use my Bluetooth headphones. It was interesting. I didn’t join a group, so I was out there by myself with all these cyclists passing me. Also, it didn’t really like my slow pace so much. Occasionally it would show me walking. I think it is a neat concept, but I’m not a fan of running a lot of miles on the Treadmill - so I’m not sure how much I would use it. When I have to run inside, I prefer the indoor track, since I have access to a decently sized one (6 laps per mile).

All good things to know. The end goal is trying to find a way to excite me when I have to use the treadmill. Be it classes, netflix, or Zwift. So it's good for me to hear all sorts of feedback.

Hi @DopeyBadger, I have the perfect 200m route mapped out for my intervals tomorrow, but Garmin and my mapping site (gmap pedometer) disagree by 15m (Garmin gives me the lower measurement). I think you said that Garmin is considered less accurate at this level of precision, but 15m seems like a pretty big discrepancy over 200m. Should I go with the longer distance to be safe, or is there another way I can double check? Thanks!

The Peloton Tread is out! I was doing some research and stumbled upon the fact that peloton displays on their bikes can't do anything but Peloton. That means they can't do Netflix (or other 3rd party apps). Now, it makes sense for a spin bike because it's mostly useful with a class. And the angle of the display on the bike means you could watch a show instead of that screen. But the Peloton Tread's 32" monitor is right up in your face.

maxresdefault.jpg

Not really looking anywhere but that when you're running. I contacted Peloton support and they confirmed what I was afraid of. At this time, it will only support Peloton classes. Although, they said as the release gets closer there "may be more information as to what the touchscreen can stream". So open ended. We shall see. In the mean time, I'm going to look over more options.

Wow - that is serious! I've just resorted to propping my phone on the display and watching youtube videos of Disney races. My recommendations: rezruns (oldest son and I are the tink and peter pan runners in the 2018 half marathon video at the start and finish - yay!) along with Lee Hoedl and mardin323. I'm now adding Boston Marathon inspiration, so if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Also, I have a Lifespan TR3000i Folding Treadmill that I never really fold. It's almost four years old and has held up well, but I don't run as fast as you do, so I'm not sure I could really recommend it. @mateojr is running on it right now. :)

Last edited:
Good luck G!!

Thanks!

Hi @DopeyBadger, I have the perfect 200m route mapped out for my intervals tomorrow, but Garmin and my mapping site (gmap pedometer) disagree by 15m (Garmin gives me the lower measurement). I think you said that Garmin is considered less accurate at this level of precision, but 15m seems like a pretty big discrepancy over 200m. Should I go with the longer distance to be safe, or is there another way I can double check? Thanks!

Measure the distance 10 times on the online system. And if it comes up with the same value each time for man made marker to man made marker, then use the online value. I don't trust the Garmin GPS watch for that short of a distance. I prefer this website:

https://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/RoutePlanner.asp

Oh no! It's "break a leg," Gigi!! (As I prepare to board flight for @ZellyB 's alma mater so 18-year-old can complete last college audition!) :)

Keep us posted!!

Thanks and best of luck to your as well!

Wow - that is serious! I've just resorted to propping my phone on the display and watching youtube videos of Disney races. My recommendations: rezruns (oldest son and I are the tink and peter pan runners in the 2018 half marathon video at the start and finish - yay!) along with Lee Hoedl and mardin323. I'm now adding Boston Marathon inspiration, so if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Also, I have a Lifespan TR3000i Folding Treadmill that I never really fold. It's almost four years old and has held up well, but I don't run as fast as you do, so I'm not sure I could really recommend it. @mateojr is running on it right now. :)

Oh man, you must have a high threshold. Youtube videos of old Disney races!

I work my way from the top of what I could possibly afford and work down from there. Trying to figure out the pros and cons of everything. Lots of visualization and such. But I want something that will be near top of the line, last for lots of miles/years, and can handle my paces. I'm a 7:00'ish min/mile marathon'er now (haven't shown it in a race yet), but I know there's still more room to grow. So I need a treadmill that will capable of handing a beating at some fast paces. Time will tell whether the Peloton meets those specs.

Go @mateojr Go!

Good luck, G!!! You’ve got this!!!

Thanks!

In the mean time, I'm going to look over more options.

Pssst. We have the Precor TRM 425. Slight step down from the TRM445, but it's the control panel that's different (we didn't need $400 of extra doo-dads). Deck/run mechanics are the same (including the ability to both incline and decline). Slightly less expensive than the Peloton tread. We love it.

ETA: GOOD LUCK, G!!!!

Pssst. We have the Precor TRM 425. Slight step down from the TRM445, but it's the control panel that's different (we didn't need $400 of extra doo-dads). Deck/run mechanics are the same (including the ability to both incline and decline). Slightly less expensive than the Peloton tread. We love it.

ETA: GOOD LUCK, G!!!!

I think that one is in the short list too (don't have it with me). I'll look into it as well.

The audition went well. Sounds like less kids were invited so we shall see. G was classic G and talked up a storm. We'll see if she is the right fit.

I read a review of that Peloton tread (maybe one that @FFigawi posted??) and much as I wanted to be enthralled by that treadmill, because let's face it - it looks amazing, the review didn't sound that great. The fact that the screen only allows for the classes, as you mentioned, and also the running surface sounds a bit strange. I guess you'd adjust, but the reviewer seemed less than thrilled by it. And, then there's the price tag. But, if you get it, I'll be happy to read all about your experience. :D

Glad to hear that G's audition went well!! Sending good thoughts for her ultimate selection!

Oh no! It's "break a leg," Gigi!! (As I prepare to board flight for @ZellyB 's alma mater so 18-year-old can complete last college audition!) :)

Keep us posted!!

Excellent!! I hope it goes well! It's going to be a rainy weekend here, so I hope you packed an umbrella!

I read a review of that Peloton tread (maybe one that @FFigawi posted??) and much as I wanted to be enthralled by that treadmill, because let's face it - it looks amazing, the review didn't sound that great. The fact that the screen only allows for the classes, as you mentioned, and also the running surface sounds a bit strange. I guess you'd adjust, but the reviewer seemed less than thrilled by it. And, then there's the price tag. But, if you get it, I'll be happy to read all about your experience. :D

Absolutely. I won't be spending my money on it unless I actually get to run on it at the showroom (like a legit training session). Because I need to ensure that it is the best choice for me. I'm getting a treadmill because I'm going to run and run and run on it. So it needs to feel right.

Glad to hear that G's audition went well!! Sending good thoughts for her ultimate selection!

:thanks:

Where did you buy the Pretor TRM 425 for less than the Peloton? I'm seeing it at mid-4000. Maybe a holiday sale?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter