Tip for those collecting pennys souvenirs

I use 1/4 Cup Vinigar and 1 tablespoon salt. Let the pennies soak in it for a bout 20 min, then rinse, repeat, and rince again. They come out very nice.

Just tried the cleaning recipe, it worked very well on the pre 1982 pennies.

Hi,
I tried the vinger but it didn't work for me ( I may not have let it sit long enough! I am always in a hurry) so I just dropped the pennies into my jewelry cleaner ( the cheap kind from wal-mart, in the gray jar, for silver) and instantly they were so pretty and bright!

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try the jewelry cleaner. I soaked my pennies in vinegar & salt, and they look horrible! I think that I let them sit too long... My luck!

We'll see how the jewelry cleaner does... :D

Only 11 days to go..... yippee!!! Doing the Mickey dance!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We were getting pennies ready for our trip next week and tried the vinegar solution for pre-82 pennies. It worked great!! BUT, when we tried to clean a few of our pressed pennies they came out horrible! They almost instantly turned black! (They were post-82 pennies.) There must be a chemical reaction between the acid in the vinegar and the zinc in the newer pennies. We scrubbed them and got them a little cleaner - but they lost their copper color and now look like dirty silver. So... DON'T use vinegar on newer pennies. Maybe I'll try the jewelry cleaner idea next....

Thanks for the tips! My children just discovered these at the tail end of our feb trip. I don't mind though they are much cheaper then most of the stuff around WDW!!

How do you keep track of which ones you already have?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter