• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tip for those collecting pennys souvenirs

Sunseeker

Earning My Ears
For those of you collecting the penny souvenirs--The mini m&m tubes make great change holders. If you had one for quarters and one for pennies you would not have to dig for change.

Use pre-1982 pennies. These pennies have a much larger copper content and produce better elongated pennies. The thin copper outer layer of the post-1981 pennies sometimes gets stetched too far and the innner zinc layer shows through. It produces some strange looking elongated coins. :( Note: Technically, the switch from mostly copper to mostly zinc occurred in mid-1982, so that year has both types of coins. If you cannot tell the difference, just go with 1981 and earlier to get the "better" coins.

You can clean the coins with copper polish or by soaking them in vinegar before your trip.

We are going to WDW in 14 days, and have all of our quarters and pennies layered in empty film cannisters. Each child will carry their own "cannister" and hopefully I won't have to "dig" for change. Read about this here on the tip board!! LisaF

I like the fact that the M&M tubes have connecting lids. It makes them easier to handle.

My mission is to collect all the pressed quarters I can for a family friend ... where can I find out where all the various quarter press machines can be found?

And would I be better off using "new" state quarters or older "traditional" quarters? Should I have the imprint on the "head" or "tail" side of the quarter?

What's the best way to clean quarters?

Will quarters fit in the mini M&M containers? Or should I use empty film canisters?

Thanks!!

My family is also going to try to collect the pressed pennys. I was "surfing" and found this website:

www.liss.olm.net/ec/disney

If I left out a letter in this website, I'm sorry. I found it by searching for WDW Pressed Penny's.

I do have a question: How much is it for a Pressed Penny? I want to layer my pennies and quarters in the M and M container.

Good Luck!!

another good cleaner for the pennies is "never-dull" it worked great for me and my pennies still shine! I have 3 books of the pressed pennies now!

Originally posted by Beverly Lynn
another good cleaner for the pennies is "never-dull" it worked great for me and my pennies still shine! I have 3 books of the pressed pennies now!
Beverly Lynn:
Where did you find this? I'd love to get some -- my big pet peeve with pressed pennies is that they start looking icky in no time. I'd love to display them if I could find a way to keep them shiny. ;)

We made necklaces and keychains out of the ones we got on our trip in 97. We drove a nail through them to make a hole, then used jewelry loops through the hole and ran a plain key ring through the pennies and a chain through the quarters. We gave them to the kid's pre-school teachers as end of the year gifts.

I also think Deb Will's site has a list of quarters and penny machine locations.

HUH both links worked today maybe it was just down last night when i tried or something.....

Do the penny press books hold quarters as well??
How many do they hold? :)

Yes the penny books hold quarters, but only 6 and now with the 100 yrs thing there are many more quarters than that. The penny book holds 36 pennies as well. The new book that is out for the 100 year celebration list where to find the quarters as well. Only 55 days until we leave.

Melissa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter