thoughts on VMK In Game Moderation...

Maleficent2

DIS Veteran
I posted this on Dara thread but she wants it closed so let's discuss it here:

I know the rules are there for a reason.

What I disagree with is the ridiculousness of the enforcement and the non enforcement of VMK rules and values.

It seems to be ok to steal others stuff, cuss at people via a dictionary dance, say inappropriate things to others about adult things but god forbid we say it is raining or I am on vacation.

I have said this before but will repeat it here, again.

VMK needs a serious moderation overhaul.

They need to implement a points system for warnings and infractions, so that players know exactly why they have received the warning and if they did in deed receive one.

I reported a room the other day and stayed around to make sure vmk addressed the issue, they did but a warning appeared in my message box, the same message the whole room got.

So was this a true warning or a room warning?

we need to have a way of knowing what we are being warned about and points assigned to those warnings. So we know where we are and how many points equals a ban.

Those points need to expire after a set time so players can learn from their mistakes.

I will not hold my breath that these things happen but there is always hope.

I thoroughly agree! I think your idea is great.

For using the points system, I don't think that any points should be given for saying -it's raining here-. That is absurd! :sad2:

I was going to post this before it got closed, so here it is now:
Speaking of room/message warnings...
The other day I had a very busy room (at one point full room with over 100 people in line) and one girl came in and said she lives near WDW. I started to type out to never say that information, but before I had a chance to finish typing it, a room warning popped up. A couple of seconds later, the same warning appeared in my messages. I wasn't worried about it since I knew I said nothing, but what concerned me was the number of people who obviously received that message as well since so many were questioning what on earth they did to receive such a warning. I had to explain several times that it was just for the room, not for them specifically (although obviously it was meant for that girl). Too much confusion set in as people were afk playing the Nemo game (since my room's purpose was to show people how to get to the game and to show the sub pieces) and missed what caused the actual warning. Of course now that I think of it, since the room warning was in my room, am I held accountable to that warning? Not like I have control over it or anything, but hey, this is VMK right? :rolleyes: But anyway, I agree, there needs to be some sort of system in place so people know exactly what they're being warned (or even banned) for since the question of "why" pops up way too often. And while a room alert seems to make sense in it being for the room in general, sending a message on top of that makes it seem like it's being directed at that person since the message never indicates if that was a room alert or not. I can only imagine how I'd feel if I missed what happened to see what warranted the alert or even missed the alert entirely (i.e. I log out of the game but that weird bug happens that still has my character logged in even though I actually logged myself out) and then I get back on the game to see this message warning me about not giving info away about where I live. Yeah, I wouldn't be very happy about that. They need to figure something out to better handle this.

ETA: I'm also a bit frustrated at how VMK is handling the return of items. I am thrilled one of our members got his green flips back. But why does staff place a higher importance/priority on some members & items when other members/items get pushed off to the side with either no response or the "well it's your fault you lent them out" response. If VMK has stressed over and over again they won't return an item, why do some see the return of their items while others never do for the same scam? Lack of consistency...and it certainly is sending a mixed message to the players when they tell us they won't returned these items and then we find out that they apparently give special exceptions. Was it just because they were green flips? Is someone else's prized treasure (that aren't green flips) not worth it to them?

ETA: I'm also a bit frustrated at how VMK is handling the return of items. I am thrilled one of our members got his green flips back. But why does staff place a higher importance/priority on some members & items when other members/items get pushed off to the side with either no response or the "well it's your fault you lent them out" response. If VMK has stressed over and over again they won't return an item, why do some see the return of their items while others never do for the same scam? Lack of consistency...and it certainly is sending a mixed message to the players when they tell us they won't returned these items and then we find out that they apparently give special exceptions. Was it just because they were green flips? Is someone else's prized treasure (that aren't green flips) not worth it to them?

I know I am sad about my inferno. While I never expected it to be returned I did send in reports and even had email correspondence about it with VMK.

It was a very prized item to me, as it was a gift from a special friend, I have learned my lesson the difficult way.

:hug: to all who have sent me notes/posts expressing your sadness at my lost.

:sad1:

In regards to VMK's inconsistancy on what can/can't be said, warnings, bans, return of stuff... I think Mr. Gump said it best:

VMK is as VMK does.

:thumbsup2

What really fries me, is that they cracked down on taken, but didn't do anything when I reported a day care the other day. There were people in there using very graphic terms that would make some people puke. They were also pretending to fight to get people to be their "mummy" and "duh duh". It just saddens me at how laid back the moderation is getting, and that they are giving out bans like they are candy. On of my good friends got a on ear ban because he said - I like the weather at my place -. Now I probably won't ever see him again because his account will probably get deleted. VMK is really starting to go downhill, and I think it has something to do with all the newbies coming in. What they need to do is hire more moderators to combat the onsurge of new players, and ban some dictionary dancing swear words, or just but an auto ban on sentences or prhases using graphic words.

Agree with all said so far. They need to rethink how the bans are handed out...as well as what reall is something to ban a person over. I think talking weather is fine. What reason it would be to ban a person is beyond me. Its not like that place may be the only rainy or sunny place at that moment. Its almost to the point where you can't really chat on there cause you might say the wrong thing. I'm one of those that tries to avoid rooms of people when getting credits or doing quests but when I am in rooms with others I will remind them if someone is not following rules, report when I feel its needed (usual the reminder is first though) and help when its always needed. Really they need to tell people why the warning or ban is happening. This way they can take care of something if it wasn't them since they seem to make that mistake. I think that along with a point system is a good idea.
And if they are going to keep up with what the VMK values are and how we are suppose to follow them...well then they need to do their job in inforcing those rules more. Stop those rooms with the things not allowed. Stop the things like taken and baby, etc. They can't just say this isn't allowed and expect it to stop. They have to inforce thngs. Which it doesn't seem like they do enough or at all most the time. I know we here have tried and still try to do our part in helping make the game safe and follow rules. But with summer here VMK really needs to get on it before it gets worse and they have to shut things down because of it. If its more staff needed then find a way to get more. And meanwhile the ones that are there need to look at things better.
And maybe if they actually punished those that make false reports over nonesense the other reports that need to be looked at would be and taken care of faster.

I totally agree!! I am furious about what happened to my friend. I was told by a friend that one of my good friends was banned for talking about a basketball game! While we have scammers, and dictionary dancing that horrifies many of people get off free. Just yesterday i was on Main Street and a saw a girl taking about a boy, IN REAL LIFE, checking her out! I was disgusted. So i waited around for about 20 minutes to see what would happen. You want to know what happened? NOTHING. She flat out said in real life. But my good friend gets banned because he was giving details about a basketball game. I know he should have not said anything in the first place, but come on VMK. Why not punish people who deserve for once.

What really fries me, is that they cracked down on taken, but didn't do anything when I reported a day care the other day. There were people in there using very graphic terms that would make some people puke. They were also pretending to fight to get people to be their "mummy" and "duh duh". It just saddens me at how laid back the moderation is getting, and that they are giving out bans like they are candy. On of my good friends got a on ear ban because he said - I like the weather at my place -. Now I probably won't ever see him again because his account will probably get deleted. VMK is really starting to go downhill, and I think it has something to do with all the newbies coming in. What they need to do is hire more moderators to combat the onsurge of new players, and ban some dictionary dancing swear words, or just but an auto ban on sentences or prhases using graphic words.
It sounds like you are saying like closing the game to new players would stop the problem. And there is NO WAY you can say it is the new players doing this, it is all sorts of players misbehaving.

Someone said not too long back that sometimes the newer players may not know all the rules of VMK and that is why they get caught up in the taken, mummy, duh duh thing.

Sadly I think to some degree this is true. I noticed over the weekend that the quests were focused a lot on vmk rules. While these were quite easily the easiest quests I've done since joining VMK, I noticed that a lot of others were having problems with them. I saw lots of people asking for answers and also the fact that people were in a room other than the one they should be answering the question in.

Maybe there should be a quiz on the rules before you get access to your new account on VMK, rather than the agreement that you check. How many of you actually read that agreement anyway, I only barely glanced over it myself. It's usually more about protecting Disney/VMK than protecting the user.

Of course there are always those who blatently disregard the rules anyway!

Why did VMK stop accepting applications for community leaders? It seems like we need more CL's, who have a little more authority in reporting infractions, and more staff to listen to CL's. Or maybe a position that is somewhere between a CL and a staff member. I for one would be willing to fullfill a position like that.

It sounds like you are saying like closing the game to new players would stop the problem. And there is NO WAY you can say it is the new players doing this, it is all sorts of players misbehaving.

Nowhere did i say either of those. All I said was that because of so many new people coming in, the moderators have their hands full, so they don't have as much time to review everything going on.

i think we do need more CL or like Poohluv2u said, we might need some people to have positions inbetween CL and staff just so all the breaking of the rules can stop. i sometimes broke the rules when i first started VMK, not because i liked breaking them, because i didn't know the rules. new players need to be told the rules and probably should be shown around alittle so they know which rooms not to go in. i have changed my motive in VMK from playing just to be number one on Pirates, to actually helping people and informing them of the rules. i know there are others out there that try to help too but we can't do it alone. We definitely need more CL's and staff and more people who have been on VMK awhile to actually help keep VMK clean and safe for children!

*We all need to do our part to help!

~Pirateears :surfweb:

They really need to do something with the CL program. I try my darnedest to help players follow the rules. I've been told to shut up stop.id, or yesterday, blatantly ignored while trying to get two players to stop discussing who wanted to go home with whom in a public room (fantasyland courtyard).

What's the point of me standing there, telling them to please stop, or at least take it to a private room? I know that using the report button will only get me into another argument with the non-existent moderators who will tell me to push the ignore button. Either give the CLs (or some in-between level, as has been suggested) some sort of direct link to a moderator, or let the free-for-all ensue. As it stands, though, I am useless, and most of the players know it.

Wouldn't it be nice if the had a session for new players that a staff could take them around VMK. It is not an easy game to figure out when you land on Main street. At least 3 times a month I take a new player around and show them how to get credits and where things are.

Remember when we had the how to put a ride together seminar. They could hold this for new players. And go over the basic rules. Or there could be a few CL's given this task with the proper authority to hold these classes. I would offer but at last I am still not a CL. Though it does not stop me from trying to help new players. :)

i agree DaraAllen, sometimes people don't listen to me especially the people who aren't very new. Young children just get caught up in the taken business and they don't realize how bad it is. they just want to be like alot of the players and have someone so they are "taken". VMK really needs to do something about this. there are lots of people trying to help VMK by telling everyone the rules i just wish there were more people trying to help out.

* VMK please get some more CL and moderators. We need to keep VMK clean and safe for children. We all need to do our part to help!

~Pirateears :surfweb:

Dara, agree. They need to do something. I'm sure that some of the CLs they have should be cleaned out while they have many like you that need more they can do with keeping the place clean. If they would just give the option for CLs to silence a player saying things against the rules for a limited time it might help. With the warning that they broke a rule(s) and next time it will be a ban. Some how VMK could see a log of this stuff and know when it happens. Just throwing something out there. I try to remind those about the rules. As it was earlier there was the one in HM that asked one of our Disers if he was taken (which I really had to laugh) and he let her know it was against the vmk values. Well after he left and before I left she did it again. I let her know she needed to go read the rules. If it is really bad stuff though I will remind them its against the vmk values and then if it doesn't stop report it. I don't think most these people breaking the rules are all that new. Its just they don't care or read the rules. And I like the idea of a quiz given before being allowed to play. It would make sure you understand the rules and you at least read what was needed. Now not sure if it is something that would help but its worth a shot. Making sure they understand what could ban them and what banning them means. I think alot of them think its a joke cause nothing is getting done so they keep going. Sadly we all only have so much we can do.

What sort of authority to CLs have? I knew CLs were just "normal" players with a Title, but they really have no added features for enforcement? What's the point?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter