Thoughts on Lookout Cay...

Went to LC on June 20th. We were just wanting a nice beach day, and we definitely got that! I have to say the beach itself is nicer than CC. So we stayed on the beach most of the day except to eat lunch. I had planned to see some of the other offerings, but the beach was just too nice to leave!
It was also a lot less crowded than I remembered CC from 10 years ago. Although we were on the Magic this time, and last cruise was the Dream, so half the people.

We sailed on the Fantasy Lookout Cay at Lighthouse Point Inaugural cruise 8-15 June. There were two stops at LC, Mon, 6/10 and Thurs, 6/13. People were eager to get off the ship and experience LC. All Ashore was 8:30 but we left the ship around 9:30. The walk on the pier was about 15 mins, and they were handing out cold washcloths midway down the pier. It was a nice way to cool off during the walk since it was hot that day. They collected the cloths before we went through the area leading to the Mabrika Cove tram area. We waited for 10mins to get on a tram. It was the first day so there wasn't much organization as far as getting on the trams. For example, people arriving after us got on trams before we did but the trams arrived fairly regularly. The tram ride was another 15 mins to the Goombay Cultural Center. Along the way, you could see work being done on the nature trail and bike trail. The bike trail wasn't finished so no bike rentals available.

The beach is beautiful but not enough umbrellas/chairs on the beach side. The dune side had more chairs/umbrellas and that's where we found a spot. We walked to the Serenity Bay to look around. It was 11am and people were already in line for lunch which didn't start til 11:30 and tables were saved so we went to True-True Too BBQ for lunch. The food was great, and yes, the flies were everywhere. I'm sure you've seen the videos. We got extra napkins to cover our food while we ate. There wasn't available seating around True-True Too BBQ so we took our plates back to our beach chairs. I've read that the fly problem is better now. Some people went back to the ship to eat lunch.

We went to the Sights and Sounds of Junkanoo Workshop and RUSH! A Junkanoo Celebration held in the Goombay Cultural Center. We went to the sessions at 1:30pm and 2pm but there's an earlier session of both. Afterwards we went back to the beach. We didn't feel rushed to do everything since we had a second stop at LC later in the week.

The second day at LC, 6/13 was overcast and very windy which helped with the heat and the fly issue. We were off the ship 8:30 that day. No cold cloths on the pier that day but they did put a water station on the pier. The trams, beach didn't seem as crowded and later back on the ship we heard that 25% of the people stayed on the ship. We did the character meet/greets, walked to the lighthouse, and beach time on the family beach. Chair/umbrella on the dune side.

Overall it was a good cruise but DCL could certainly have done better preparing LC. The nature and bike trails should've been done before this cruise. There should've been more beach chairs/umbrellas. There was a long line at guest services after the first day so I'm sure DCL has heard the feedback, and it appears they're making improvements. Glad to answer any questions.

…Glad to answer any questions.
after your days there, did you have the feeling “been there, done that” or “I would rather go to CC”?

And do you go more for the water or the sun lounging?

What is your typical day at Castaway or any beach destination?

Those are probably what I need any reviewer to answer. To see if an opinion even addresses aspects of my desired beach day.

… Nice write-up of your experience, by the way.

If you are going there thinking it's going to be same setup like Castaway you will be disappointed. The beach is very beautiful and it's a stunning scenery. The tram ride secondary is not as great because it's still being developed. The cabana's actually have an iPad that works that you don't have to ring the bell like castaway. You can actually see the order processing and it will tell you it's being prepared then it's on the way. If for some reason you see the order disappeared from your iPad it means the internet connection is lost and they do not have a record of that order again and you will need to rein put that.

I was also on the inaugural sailing and our group is still upset of how we are giving feedback but no compensation. They need to be better that if they are not ready then they need to postpone the itinerary. It is not the cast members fault but being on the first inaugural sailing to hear please come back we are still packing, or port excursions being canceled because the area is not developed yet is not a magical experience. In addition, modifying port excursions with no notice is like false advertisement.

If I were to go back to Lookout cay I would wait another year. I heard the flies problem might be no more. There is no good shade spots so you will need to prepare with that, I went with rash guards and a solar umbrella. In addition, I would not want to be walking the pier when it's that hot of a humidity as well. So maybe going towards fall/winter.

We were also on the inaugural. It wasn't good for us either. We will not go back to Lookout. Ever. A small compensation would be nice for the completely inedible meal, but we've not even received an apology for anything! Barely an "I'm sorry that happened" when they missed DS8 birthday (after a reminder during dessert that it was on our res.) but still celebrated mine the next day. Something definitely seemed "off" and not very Disney like for that whole cruise and communication after.

after your days there, did you have the feeling “been there, done that” or “I would rather go to CC”?

And do you go more for the water or the sun lounging?

What is your typical day at Castaway or any beach destination?

Those are probably what I need any reviewer to answer. To see if an opinion even addresses aspects of my desired beach day.

… Nice write-up of your experience, by the way.
Thanks for reading. We'd go back to LC but would wait at least a year. We're a bit of both on beach days. Enjoy snorkeling (although we didn't snorkel at LC) and just chilling under an umbrella reading a book. We also walked along the beach. Our typical Castaway Cay beach day is to find a hammock and chairs in the shade then spend a little time in the water. When our kids were younger, it'd be the opposite. Lots of beach time snorkeling, swimming, Pelican Plunge, bike riding.

If I were to go back to Lookout cay I would wait another year. I heard the flies problem might be no more. There is no good shade spots so you will need to prepare with that, I went with rash guards and a solar umbrella. In addition, I would not want to be walking the pier when it's that hot of a humidity as well. So maybe going towards fall/winter.
Agree 100%! Wait at least a year.

Make sure you are filling out the surveys honestly from now on I don’t care how much they beg me at dinner. I’m gonna make sure I fill out the surveys as honest as possible.

Thank you all for the feedback. I feel like maybe waiting a bit before we go there is a good idea. I don’t want it to be a construction zone and I want it to feel like a getaway. The videos now seem to show a lack of that Disney magic and I definitely want to get that when I am cruising with Mickey!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest