• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If J&J gets approved this moves up even further to end of June for manufacturer delivery. We'll soon be at a point where we need to donate/sell vaccine to our allies and neighbors to help end this globally.

That would be a fantastic situation. I haven't read reports on Mexico, but I have seen reports that Canada must get vaccines from Europe and running into issues with supply.

Last edited:
That would be a fantastic situation. I haven't read reports on Mexico, but I have seen reports that Canada must get vaccines from Europe and running into issues with supply.
Hopefully for Canada and EU, that bottleneck opens soon. Shipments stalled there due to BioNTech/Pfizer retooling some lines to increase throughput at the end of the day. Stalled things for a few weeks but they should (hopefully) catch up soon.

This is what will hold cruising from returning, I suspect. DCL won’t look anything close to normal until the kids can be vaccinated.

I disagree. Once sailing resumes, I think DCL will let kids sail with a negative Covid test until vaccines are approved and available for kids. I think they will most likely require a vaccine for ages 16+.

Hopefully for Canada and EU, that bottleneck opens soon. Shipments stalled there due to BioNTech/Pfizer retooling some lines to increase throughput at the end of the day. Stalled things for a few weeks but they should (hopefully) catch up soon.

They started shipping again last saturday. Just in my province it went from 0 vaccine per day to 5000 per day within a week. Not nearly enough as we have a capacity of giving 250 000 per week but we are supposed to start receiving much more vaccines by next week. *fingers crossed*.

We did hear some info for the vaccine for at least 1 immunocompromised individual. There will be some vaccines that the can have and some that they can't. Won't name them in case it is different depending on ones situation. This is good news though, because they will be able to get vaccinated and travel in the future. Hoping that it is the same for others as well.

We did hear some info for the vaccine for at least 1 immunocompromised individual. There will be some vaccines that the can have and some that they can't. Won't name them in case it is different depending on ones situation. This is good news though, because they will be able to get vaccinated and travel in the future. Hoping that it is the same for others as well.

For my autoimmune disease. I've met a lot of people of facebook groups and it seems it really depends on persons health. I know for me and others vaccines are fine to take, and some can't

They started shipping again last saturday. Just in my province it went from 0 vaccine per day to 5000 per day within a week. Not nearly enough as we have a capacity of giving 250 000 per week but we are supposed to start receiving much more vaccines by next week. *fingers crossed*.
Se thing here in BC. This week we received 9400 doses, next week it will be 50,000+ and the following week it will be 56,000+ so yes, looks like we will finally see some movement. All LTC staff and residents have now been vaccinated and starting early March they move on to the 80+ who live in the community.

I disagree. Once sailing resumes, I think DCL will let kids sail with a negative Covid test until vaccines are approved and available for kids. I think they will most likely require a vaccine for ages 16+.

it will be interesting!
Seems like there’s three camps.

one believes vaccines will be needed for cruises (or travel, or insert blank)

another believes vaccines or a negative test will be required (my personal take, either or type situation to not be discriminatory and stay out of the courts)

And some people are still holding out that this all disappears once we hit the elusive herd immunity.

flu shots aren’t even mandatory for medical staff (they can opt out and wear a mask), so it will be interesting what the courts decide when private businesses enact certain requirements.

and does Disney go first with this? I think it’s unlikely. They’d rather keep the cruise line closed a few more months and see what competitors do and their responses. PR is hug to Disney and there’s already been negative backlash to the view places talking about requiring *only* vaccines. It will be a long time before we have clear guidelines from DCL

For my autoimmune disease. I've met a lot of people of facebook groups and it seems it really depends on persons health. I know for me and others vaccines are fine to take, and some can't

This is exactly why I didn't name the ones that were ok and not ok for them. They can't even get the flu shot because it uses live virus. So hopefully with the different kinds of vaccines out there, there is at least one that most will be able to take and the number of people that can't get one at all is low.

(we need to move faster with first steps for this, but overall looks hopeful)

Vaccines for kids as young as first graders could be authorized by Sept

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.propublica.org/article/fauci-vaccines-kids/amp
Confused on why you think it is a good idea to rush trials in children to even shorter than 3 months? Vaccine trials normally take 5 to 10 years to prove safety and effectiveness. I certainly do not want it rushed even more than it already is for a brand new vaccine technology that never even made it through animal trials in the past.

Confused on why you think it is a good idea to rush trials in children to even shorter than 3 months? Vaccine trials normally take 5 to 10 years to prove safety and effectiveness. I certainly do not want it rushed even more than it already is for a brand new vaccine technology that never even made it through animal trials in the past.

I read it as hurry up the beginning stages of enrollment etc, so that the study can actually begin. The data will take whatever time it takes, but it can’t start until the study is fully enrolled.

The trials will not be "rushed." They are hoping to complete enrollment and start the studies soon, within protocol guidelines.
I trust the hardworking professionals in the epidemiology and vaccine research professions.
The article I quoted gave a good explanation in the written text.

Here is an excerpt:
"As optimistic as Fauci is, several pediatricians and infectious disease experts said they wish the pediatric trials would move more quickly. In addition to restoring stability to the education system and parents’ work schedules and keeping kids and those around them safe, vaccinating children is essential to helping the country, as a whole, reach herd immunity and decrease the threat of new variants.
Otherwise, “we’re going to have tens of millions of individuals in our communities that are able to maintain the virus. And when that happens, what that allows is for these unusual variants to emerge that may have the ability to evade our immunity,” said Dr. Buddy Creech, associate professor of pediatrics and director of the Vanderbilt Vaccine Research Program."

Last edited:
The trials will not be "rushed." They are hoping to complete enrollment and start the studies soon, within protocol guidelines.
I trust the hardworking professionals in the epidemiology and vaccine research professions.
The article I quoted gave a good explanation in the written text.

Here is an excerpt:
"As optimistic as Fauci is, several pediatricians and infectious disease experts said they wish the pediatric trials would move more quickly. In addition to restoring stability to the education system and parents’ work schedules and keeping kids and those around them safe, vaccinating children is essential to helping the country, as a whole, reach herd immunity and decrease the threat of new variants.
Otherwise, “we’re going to have tens of millions of individuals in our communities that are able to maintain the virus. And when that happens, what that allows is for these unusual variants to emerge that may have the ability to evade our immunity,” said Dr. Buddy Creech, associate professor of pediatrics and director of the Vanderbilt Vaccine Research Program."
I read the whole article. These vaccines have not proven to stop spread between individuals. We cannot reach herd immunity if the disease can still spread. When vaccines normally are required to go through testing and study for 5 to 10 years for both safety and efficacy, why can they magically do similar work in only two months? I correct myself from my original post. I just reread study length of being only two months vs, three months before emergency use authorization was given. These vaccines are not approved by the FDA. They have been allowed to be given to people under emergency use authorization only.

I read it as hurry up the beginning stages of enrollment etc, so that the study can actually begin. The data will take whatever time it takes, but it can’t start until the study is fully enrolled.
Thank you. Hopefully that was what was meant.

But ACIP won’t have truly authorized it, it’s an emergency use authorization. True authorizations while likely take several years (as they should)
it’s why I’m so skeptical of private business requiring vaccination... it’s not truly bonafide. Once adult trials end in 2023, and they are fully licensed, not under the pandemic authorization, but truly licensed.
Then I could see companies, schools etc having legal standing (but not before, since double masking/correct fit,according to the CDC *is so great at reducing transmission*. I don’t remember the percentage if both people are wearing it properly, but it’s high)

I’m genuinely curious what liability employers have if they require an experimental vaccine and an adverse event (which have all been properly documented in the trials) happens? Sure it’s rare, but it happens, and if it happens to an employee (or yikes, a mishandled batch gets administered to several employees and they all have a claim) what recourse do they have? Will worker’s compensation cover it? Short term disability?

dr. Fauci has said time and time again that vaccine uptake is highest when it’s not mandatory, and there are peer reviewed studies to support that. It’s psychology and marketing 101.

I read the whole article. These vaccines have not proven to stop spread between individuals. We cannot reach herd immunity if the disease can still spread.

This is something that I have yet to find a reasonable explanation for. Has there ever been a virus before where a vaccinated person could still infect others? I'm not saying it's not true, just that I would love to discover any research behind this idea. People toss this idea around without ever backing it up with science. It seems highly unlikely to me, and I don't recall any historical precedents for this, but maybe I am just not informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter