The Running Thread--2024

Northern Michigan, near the Lake Michigan shoreline (about 15mi inland.)

T= 86 D= 69 and a LOT of wind. We are sitting at T+D=155. Yesterday it was 95 (and about the same dewpoint.) That's about 23 degrees hotter than average. And with the lake, these temps give us isolated thunderstorm cells that pop up between us and Green Bay. With a senior dog who has inexplicably developed anxiety around thunderstorms, this weather is less than ideal on multiple fronts.

A shockingly high 157.1 in northern Vermont at 1pm. Temp was 87.4, Dew 69.7 (yes I have my own weather station). This heat wave is no joke!

Anybody else get a crazy-high stress reading on their Garmin when running in the heat?
I was in Northwest Arkansas this weekend with my team putting on an outdoor event. My Garmin was going off with either a multiple of intensity minutes, steps or high stress/fatigue notice about every 30 minutes from Friday's setup to Sunday's tear down. I kept telling folks I did Peachtree and the 2020 WDW Marathon to train for this event! LOL

So, the weirdest thing has happened to me. I could swear that I signed up for a 5K this coming Saturday. I added it to my race spreadsheet, my training plan, my phone calendar, and my upcoming races countdowns app. I even bought a new Sparkle skirt for it!

But I have no record of actually signing up. No registration email, no transaction record, nothing. When I google the race, it comes up on all sorts of websites, but when I click the links on those sites to go to the page for this specific race, the page is not found, and the organizing company isn’t showing it on any of their socials.

So I guess I’m not running a 5K on Saturday, which is a bummer, because there was supposed to be ice cream and bomb ops, and American flags handed out at the 3 mile mark so everyone finished carrying a little flag 😭😭
The problem is, I can’t figure out where the race is, exactly. That’s why I went looking for my registration last night-to double check the details.

Also, darn autocorrect! I agree bomb ops is concerning, whilst bomb pops are amazing.
Well, I solved half the mystery—the page disappeared because the race has been cancelled due to lack of interest. I still don’t know if I actually registered or not, but if I did, I’ll get a refund, and if I didn’t, I’m not missing out on anything after all 😂😂

So, you get the frigid winters AND the scorching summers. That doesn't seem quite fair.

We get a few scorching days a year, but it isn't sustained like it is in the south. I feel like we only get above T+D 160 like 3-5 times a summer when I'm actually running in the late afternoon (e.g. 2021 notes have 3x >160, 2022 notes have 2x >160). So it happens, but not frequently. However, we do have scorchers. My personal T+D record was 182 on 8/23/23 (100F Temp and 82F Dew Point). My coldest run was 2/7/21 at -33F windchill for 9.2 miles (75 min).

1718740619659.png

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.07.05 PM.png

I have a question for the I have a Apple Watch but prefer tracking runs with Garmin folks out there.
1. If I wear both, but only use the Garmin to track the run, can the activity be synced to apple fitness?
2. Since I would have both on, is it double counting the steps?
3. Will the garmin run go towards the exercise rings?
4. Will the garmin activities go towards achieving awards and new 5k, 10k, longest distance... PRs type stuff?
5. Am I the only crazy person worrying about these types of things?

Lately I have been using both to track runs just to see which one I like more, and Garmin wins out. It does not appear apple is counting steps for both, but just picking one to role with... not sure if that wont happen if apple watch is not tracking an activity.

Explanation for why I wear the apple watch is to monitor health issues the garmin watch is not able to do. Additionally the apple watch can be used to make a phone call incase the potential health issue comes up during a run and assistance is needed. So, I know its a silly situation, but I really like my data to show up in multiple places.

Any help is appreciated.

I have a question for the I have a Apple Watch but prefer tracking runs with Garmin folks out there.
1. If I wear both, but only use the Garmin to track the run, can the activity be synced to apple fitness?
4. Will the garmin activities go towards achieving awards and new 5k, 10k, longest distance... PRs type stuff?

Lately I have been using both to track runs just to see which one I like more, and Garmin wins out. It does not appear apple is counting steps for both, but just picking one to role with... not sure if that wont happen if apple watch is not tracking an activity.

Explanation for why I wear the apple watch is to monitor health issues the garmin watch is not able to do. Additionally the apple watch can be used to make a phone call incase the potential health issue comes up during a run and assistance is needed. So, I know its a silly situation, but I really like my data to show up in multiple places.

Any help is appreciated.
I can’t answer about what a Garmin watch does when connecting with Apple Fitness, but I do know that since I started using the Runna app on my Apple Watch to track runs, I no longer get the “completed a 5K (etc)” awards, so I’m guessing it wouldn’t recognize any new PRs either (but Runna does track those for me) But the workouts do get counted as “running” in the fitness app.

I hope someone with a Garmin and an iPhone can give you actual answers.

Any help is appreciated.
I think the answers are:
1. Each watch will track what it tracks. Use the Garmin Connect app to see what the Garmin watch is reporting, use whatever other Apple app to see what the Apple watch is reporting
2. No. (Shouldn't. Especially if the two watches are feeding two different apps)
3. Should. Again, it should work with no awareness of the Apple watch also residing on your arm
4. Should
5. I can neither confirm nor deny

FWIW, I have no experience with the Apple watch for activity tracking or what apps it can feed its data into. OTOH, I really like my Garmin watch and its results. I save my runs when done and then sync with my iPhone to see my stats using the Garmin Connect app. Can the Garmin watch data go into other apps? Likely, but I haven't messed with any of them. Connect does what I want and need and does it fairly well. I also like being able to customize my watch face.

It does sound like a fun experiment to wear the watches simultaneously to see the differences in what they report. Let us know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter