The Running Thread--2024

I have a question for the I have a Apple Watch but prefer tracking runs with Garmin folks out there.
1. If I wear both, but only use the Garmin to track the run, can the activity be synced to apple fitness?
2. Since I would have both on, is it double counting the steps?
3. Will the garmin run go towards the exercise rings?
4. Will the garmin activities go towards achieving awards and new 5k, 10k, longest distance... PRs type stuff?
5. Am I the only crazy person worrying about these types of things?

Lately I have been using both to track runs just to see which one I like more, and Garmin wins out. It does not appear apple is counting steps for both, but just picking one to role with... not sure if that wont happen if apple watch is not tracking an activity.

Explanation for why I wear the apple watch is to monitor health issues the garmin watch is not able to do. Additionally the apple watch can be used to make a phone call incase the potential health issue comes up during a run and assistance is needed. So, I know its a silly situation, but I really like my data to show up in multiple places.

Any help is appreciated.
Not sure about the rest, but for question #1, it is possible to sync from Garmin Connect to Apple Fitness or Health or whatever it’s called now.

https://www.reaction-club.com/sync-...xt=To do this, open the,that you want to sync.

It's not even officially summer yet and I'm over it already. Ugh. Been doing a streak for June. At least one mile walking or running (or both) a day. It's been going well, but I've been REALLY tired. My doctor called a few days ago to let me know I'm severely anemic. So that would explain the tired and why I'm going so slow even with so much effort. I'll continue streaking with mostly walking until I start to feel better. At least I found out now with enough time to hopefully start feeling better by the time I start MW Half training in Sept/Oct.

“Celebrated” the solstice on the treadmill, because the outdoor temp was 98º with a Feels Like of 105º. T+D right now (midday) is only 166 because it hasn’t rained in days and the humidity is down in the 60%s.

“Only” 3 more months (if we’re lucky) of this to go! :rotfl: :headache:

Who’s running ATL Peachtree this year “with”DH and me? We are in waves F and G. Nephew and DW are running and helping walk wave L to the starting line.
Sorry we are out this year. Sorta glad to be coming off the injury rather than running. It’s going to be hot. We should be out cheering with whisky. Will probably be on Peachtree just south of 12th street. Hoping the building gives us some shade.

Who’s running ATL Peachtree this year “with”DH and me? We are in waves F and G. Nephew and DW are running and helping walk wave L to the starting line.
We will be at the beach that week, but after some coercion, the son and I will do it virtually. I'm hoping we'll have low tide the morning of the 4th and can do it on the hard-packed sand. If not, we'll do it on the beach front road.

Remember my post from like two days ago about how much I loved my Topo shoes? Well, I'm suddenly getting flares of plantar fasciitis in my right foot after my last two runs. GAH! I've never had this before, but it appears the drastic change in heel drop between these (5mm) and my previous shoes (10mm) may be the culprit. I know I can stretch and focus some extra strength training on my calves, but would it make sense to pick up a pair in a 7 or 8mm drop and rotate those in? If so, any recommendations?

Remember my post from like two days ago about how much I loved my Topo shoes? Well, I'm suddenly getting flares of plantar fasciitis in my right foot after my last two runs. GAH! I've never had this before, but it appears the drastic change in heel drop between these (5mm) and my previous shoes (10mm) may be the culprit. I know I can stretch and focus some extra strength training on my calves, but would it make sense to pick up a pair in a 7 or 8mm drop and rotate those in? If so, any recommendations?
yeah, doing a huge change in drop can be really hard on your calf muscles, which could for sure trigger PF. It might be easier to get a heel lift to put in your topos that you can then remove at a later date.

It might not be the drop… I ran exclusively in Altras (zero drop) for two years before trying Topos - 20ish mile sin the Topos later, I developed PF for the first time in my entire 50+ years of life. Stopped wearing the Topos and it went away. I’ve pulled the Topos out a time or two since and could feel the pain start up within a mile or so. Reddit is full of similar Topo tales! There is something about their arches that’s super problematic for a fair number of people.

yeah, doing a huge change in drop can be really hard on your calf muscles, which could for sure trigger PF. It might be easier to get a heel lift to put in your topos that you can then remove at a later date.
Great idea. I'm going to try this!

It might not be the drop… I ran exclusively in Altras (zero drop) for two years before trying Topos - 20ish mile sin the Topos later, I developed PF for the first time in my entire 50+ years of life. Stopped wearing the Topos and it went away. I’ve pulled the Topos out a time or two since and could feel the pain start up within a mile or so. Reddit is full of similar Topo tales! There is something about their arches that’s super problematic for a fair number of people.
Oh nooooooo I'll be so sad if that's the case for me. I really thought I'd found my magic shoes. Here's hoping it's just an adjustment period and the heel lift helps.

Good news for all us runners who are also the Disney planners for our groups: starting July 24, no more lightning lanes at 7am—you can do it in advance. There’s other changes that are less good, IMO, but not having to stop (or try to do it while in motion) during races is a positive in my book.

Details here
I never went to WDW when there was fastpass+. I am looking forward to seeing how people find this.

Well Grandmas was a bust. Nothing on the race end. They were fantastic and I’m planning to return for 2025 to get done what I failed to do this year. Already put the room request in for 2025.

Hell they came to my rescue essentially when two days before the race my Dad couldn’t make the trip. And I was left scrambling trying to figure out how to get to the pickup point the morning of. A few wheels dropped because of the weather which opened up a room next to the pick up I was able to snag.

It was just a final bit of bad luck. I had pneumonia for the better part of week. And it tanked all of my physical form. I knew going in I probably wouldn’t make the finish. But I wanted to try at least.

I got 8 miles before the sweepers caught up with me. I knew when I realized I was having problems getting to the start (not fun fact the wheelchair drop off is a mile from the start. Mostly up hill. Not a problem for most people but for me it very much was one. To say the least I will be leaving way earlier for the start next year. Combine that with my arms were already screaming at me before the 10k I knew it would take a miracle to make 26.2 but I tried. It wouldn’t have been the first full shortly after pneumonia I’ve done.)

Someone at the accesible tent was sweet enough to grab me a medal and a shirt. I don’t know if that’s normal for Grandmas to do for DNFers I honestly don’t care at the moment. The gesture is appreciated. It made the day just a bit better.

This race has been a bit jinxed for me this year. I’m not entirely sure why it felt like everything that could go wrong did that wasn’t on the races end. But it sure did.

I’ve got a 5k next week. (I know I know. But it’s flat and 3 miles won’t be too much at least.) Waiting for the okay to take the handcycle I have borrowed from Achilles to take to AL. Otherwise it will be in the chair.

One of these days I am going to have a full go normally. And hopefully the first time isnt at Dopey. But at Every Woman’s in November.

Random not running fact. Gymnastics Olympic trials are in Minneapolis this week which is where I flew home out of. And got the surprise of my life seeing Simone Biles deplaning from the very plane I was about to get on.

(No photo because I was just kind of in shock.)

Forgot I had entered the lottery again for London. Sadly my reminder was the "Not this Time" email I got this morning. Hoping others who enetered had better luck than me!
I am eagerly awaiting my rejection email this morning. Until that comes, hope is alive!

ETA: It's the hope that kills you. I am officially marked safe from Hope at this point.

Last edited:
Forgot I had entered the lottery again for London. Sadly my reminder was the "Not this Time" email I got this morning. Hoping others who enetered had better luck than me!
I haven’t received an email yet, expecting a no, but I also can’t find a confirmation email that I entered. So, I could wait all day for nothing! Ha!

ETA: Ha! Just checked my junk mail for the millionth time, and there it was - Not this time!

No London for me. It was my first time even attempting, so I had zero expectations. Still a bummer. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest