The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: I've spectated a lot of local races, and I always try to see all the winners come through- male, female, wheelchairs, etc. It's really excting! I also love seeing the first time BQs come through and their emotions. I did get to see Meb start the Shamrock Half this weekend, which was cool. I am planning on buying a ticket to the grandstands at NYC Marathon to watch the finish line!

Bonus: I did not get around to printing brackets, but I'll go online and complete one this morning. We cut our cable this week, so hopefully Sling has all the games! I'll be pulling for UVA, but it's pretty cool that 5 Virginia teams got in. I'll go for Oklahoma too, but not expecting much. Honestly shocked they got in, let alone 9th seed. Of course, UVA and Oklahoma could potentially play each other this weekend, so that would be fun to watch. I don't care much about basketball, but I do enjoy the tournament.

ATTQOTD: No races for me, although I have been training with my daughter. She is tall and slender for her age, and pretty fast, so who knows as she gets older.

ATTBQOTD: Gator fan here, but no brackets for me.

Bonus QOTD: I don’t get caught up in the brackets the way I used to, much more fun to watch without an outside force influencing my cheering interest. I filled out a bracket for fun at work and picked almost entirely chalk. I have UNC over Duke in the final and have Duke and Michigan going much farther than I hope and Marquette and Ohio State getting bounced in the first round as emotional hedges (all of these results are likely to occur anyway).

This has been an incredibly difficult year as a basketball fan because a) Zion is so much fun to watch, b) he is the least Duke player in history, and c) why the #*&(#(#* did he have to go to Duke?

ETA: My interest in college basketball largely ebbs and flows with the proximity of the Cleveland Cavaliers to the top of the NBA lottery. Since they are back to being hot garbage this year I had a little more interest in things.

Last edited:
QOTD: Have you ever gone to spectate a competitive running event? High School, College, Olympic?

Bonus QUESTION! Today starts March madness! Who are you excited to see play and how far do you think they make it? How man brackets did you fill out?

In high school my cross country team volunteered at a water stop for the Twin Cities Marathon, and then my junior and senior year my track team went down to Iowa to watch the Drake Relays.

Bonus Question: I have filled out one bracket, primarily because I'm too lazy to me. I'm a Terps fan and hoping they will make it to the sweet 16, but the seem to be struggling in big games this year, so I don't have a lot of confidence.

QOTD: Have you ever gone to spectate a competitive running event? High School, College, Olympic?

ATTQOTD: I've never been to one of the events listed. The closest thing I have been to was watching the Boston Marathon 5k in 2013. Some amazingly fast times!

Bonus QUESTION! Today starts March madness! Who are you excited to see play and how far do you think they make it? How man brackets did you fill out?

Bonus Answer: Excited about my Tigers, but expectations are low without Will Wade. I think they can make it to the field of 16. No brackets for me... GEAUX TIGERS!!!!
I started going to high school cross country and track & field competitions when my son was participating. it seems that these invariably involved standing around in the drizzle (or driving rain, on bad days!). I have since been to a number of university cross country meets, mostly local ones hosted by my university when students I was teaching were participating, and one track and field meet not far from home that included some national team athletes from North and Central American countries. The top university cross country runners were very impressive, seemingly gliding along at great speed! We stumbled across a marathon while on holiday in Europe a number of years ago - I am struggling to remember the city, maybe Strasbourg? We were strolling around downtown and ended up cheering folks on near the finish.

I have also watched a couple of cycling races: final stage of the Tour de France in 2014, when the route passed about a 15 minute walk from where I was staying at the time in the suburbs of Paris, and the Clásica San Sebastián a few years ago. I was in San Sebastian for a conference that ended the day before the race and had an unscheduled day before traveling home. It was crazy how fast and how tightly packed the riders were in both races.

Attqotd: no running spectating for me. I did watch Lolo Jones run here pushing a bobsled for World Cup, though, so sort of, but still not. Bobsled is fun to watch for a bit because you can be right up on the track. They move a lot faster in person.

I started going to high school cross country and track & field competitions when my son was participating. it seems that these invariably involved standing around in the drizzle (or driving rain, on bad days!). I have since been to a number of university cross country meets, mostly local ones hosted by my university when students I was teaching were participating, and one track and field meet not far from home that included some national team athletes from North and Central American countries. The top university cross country runners were very impressive, seemingly gliding along at great speed! We stumbled across a marathon while on holiday in Europe a number of years ago - I am struggling to remember the city, maybe Strasbourg? We were strolling around downtown and ended up cheering folks on near the finish.

I have also watched a couple of cycling races: final stage of the Tour de France in 2014, when the route passed about a 15 minute walk from where I was staying at the time in the suburbs of Paris, and the Clásica San Sebastián a few years ago. I was in San Sebastian for a conference that ended the day before the race and had an unscheduled day before traveling home. It was crazy how fast and how tightly packed the riders were in both races.
San Sebastián? Neat!

ATTQOTD: I've watched my brother run a few marathons but really I only did that to day drink with my family.

Bonus: we've got brackets going at work but I have no interest this year in college basketball. Or any year, really.

I watched the Diamond League event in Doha when I lived there. Our running club got free tickets.

Bonus QUESTION!
Today starts March madness! Who are you excited to see play and how far do you think they make it? How man brackets did you fill out?

Bonus Answer: Excited about my Tigers, but expectations are low without Will Wade. I think they can make it to the field of 16. No brackets for me... GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

Ten minutes left to enter my pool. @rteetz has already done so!

http://www.thesengers.net/pool

Attqotd: I have spectated Boston twice. The first year was 60* and a beautiful Spring day. Last year was an nightmare. We tracked the elites on the TV in the Prudential center and then headed out 10 minutes before they were to come though. Since my BIL is not running this year, I will happily watch Boston from my couch. I hope the weather is better for all running.

Bonus: We do a bracket for fun at work. I won last year by only picking animal teams (team name or an animal mascot) - I had picked Villanova. I am not as confident in my picks this year, but we shall see.

ATTQOTD:
My only running race spectating was to cheer on a friend in cross country in college, and already being in DHS during the marathon in January.

Bonus QOTD: In summary, no bracket and I would prefer there be no reason for one. I live in a college town and do not care one bit about college sports, and I dislike this weekend in particular. The only interest I have is in the discussion of one co-worker who spends months writing excel macros to predict sport ball outcomes - what ever he has done is actually good for basketball and last year rivaled vegas in his college football calculations, and this is impressive to me. It is also why I ask him to write macros for data analysis. There can be no meetings at work today or tomorrow because people just take the day off or take a really long lunch break, and it does slow down the internet feed.

ATTQOTD: I have spectated HS track and cross country when my kids ran, and the occasional college cross country and track when my daughter ran (Parent brag: she was a Div III XC All American her senior year at MIT) I have also spectated at Boston, because...Boston! Beyond that, my spectating has been mostly confined to races that I've volunteered for or have run myself (afterwards), so lots of Disney races.

No brackets for me, although I will watch bits and pieces of games--except MSU and U of M.....too stressful.

Bonus ATTQOTD: My wife and I fill out brackets just to compete against each other. I fill in mine with wild upsets, and she generally goes for the favorites. I won't admit who usually wins. We generally root for Big 10 and Big East schools since I went to Purdue and Northwestern, one daughter to Illinois, and the other to Georgetown.

I used to go to h.s. cross country and track meets before I retired from teaching. Honestly, it was more to take pictures, since I was the yearbook adviser, than it was to cheer. It was great to see the excitement on the students' faces. I loved my kids more than I loved the events. Then I retired and started running myself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter