The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD:
Yes, I volunteer with the organization here that puts on the marathon and a few other events during the course of the year. For the marathon, I normally volunteer the night before the expo starts sorting shirts and bib numbers. It's pretty nice, for anyone who volunteers at all during marathon weekend, they give you tickets to a Pirate game and have a dinner before it. For two other events they put on, I'll help with stuffing that bags runners receive.

I guess I'm just easily entertained!

That makes 2 of us.

ATTQOTD: I've spectated Rocket City Marathon, and I've been to a few high school XC meets to cheer my nephew on. I plan on attending the 2020 Olympic marathon trials in Atlanta. Not local, but I've cheered the Disney marathon too.

ATTBQOTD: No interest in (college) basketball. No interest in who's playing or wins. Having said that: 'Go Furman!'

ATTQOTD: yes I was signed up for a local trail half marathon and got injured so I figured I’d volunteer. Since it was a small race I did a bit of everything: helped set up water stops, race packets pickup, and handed out race medals. It was a lot of fun. I’d like to volunteer at a bigger race sometime.

ATTQOTD: I never have but DH volunteered while I ran the Magnolia Marathon in Waco and he had an awesome time, although they worked him to death! He was supposed to hand out water bottles at the finish line but when they saw they had a big, strong man, he got elected to haul cases of water and bags of ice all day. He was hot and exhausted but said he had a great time and would do it again! Plus I am so slow (like one of the last 25 to finish the marathon) he worked ALL DAY, lol.

QOTD: Have you ever volunteered (or considered it) at a running event in some capacity? If so, what did you do and which event? Would you recommend doing it?
I have not volunteered at a race, but I think I would like to do it as a family when my kids are a bit older. The people giving out water at local races are so cheerful and seem to be having fun, and I appreciate the middle school kids enthusiasm and think we could contribute.

ATTQOTD: I volunteered at a water stop at the Chattanooga Iron Man. It was amazing. I was actually there for my friend who was participating. i was not the best sherpa, but i got him to the start. Went back to the RV and slept and took care of Mallory. DH and i then took Mallory with us to spectate the run and work the aid station. Mallory had a great time. The most exciting thing i did, was help a guy get his back zipper down to get his running suit off to use the restroom. That seemed like a bad design.

@OldSlowGoofyGuy i have every intention of spectating the Marathon Trials in Feb. We should get together.

I have volunteered at a bunch of races. It makes you feel good to help and watch other runners. I have done Disney 6+ times...that used to be better because they immediately gave you a 1 day/1 park ticket after your shift was over--no longer. Was particularly cool to volunteer MK backstage behind Splash. I have done the Freep marathon several times--the only time I have ever had to ask "Have you recently undergone any medical procedure that used radioactive marker material" (since the race crosses the border into Canada, it is possible to trigger alarms!) One of the local series gives volunteers a credit for their races if you volunteer, so that was fun and lucrative--and slightly exhausting the one time I did pre-race inflating the Martians for the course (blew 'em up by mouth).

I've been a course marshal, water station helper, fuel station helper, expo check-in, medal giver, bag check, and probably a few more. Try to volunteer at least once/year. I would definitely recommend.

I have volunteered at a bunch of races. It makes you feel good to help and watch other runners. I have done Disney 6+ times...that used to be better because they immediately gave you a 1 day/1 park ticket after your shift was over--no longer. Was particularly cool to volunteer MK backstage behind Splash. I have done the Freep marathon several times--the only time I have ever had to ask "Have you recently undergone any medical procedure that used radioactive marker material" (since the race crosses the border into Canada, it is possible to trigger alarms!) One of the local series gives volunteers a credit for their races if you volunteer, so that was fun and lucrative--and slightly exhausting the one time I did pre-race inflating the Martians for the course (blew 'em up by mouth).

I've been a course marshal, water station helper, fuel station helper, expo check-in, medal giver, bag check, and probably a few more. Try to volunteer at least once/year. I would definitely recommend.

HA! I think you have hit on 2 of the 3 races I considered but decided against for this year!
I am terrified of the Ambassador bridge and decided to do Wine & Dine, but I think Freep will happen at some point!

Question: Is there something specific that makes something a 'trail' race? It is marathon weekend in my town, and I am not at all interested in that distance, and not trained for the half, and have cancelled our family trip (because work is terrible and I just cannot be gone for the week), but I am tempted by the 10K. I ran it last year and was surprised it was partially off road, but now that I have a bit more perspective, I am giving their claim to "10K trail race" a bit of side eye. A little over 5K is through hilly unpaved parkland, but the rest is on roads- and while the streets are currently more rugged than the trail due to all the spring pot holes, it seems odd to me that they could call it a trail run. As I know few people who run, I am looking here to answer the question that really only means anything to me- is this really a trail race?
I mean, I am still considering biking to the start at 6am to last minute register, regardless, but it seems a bit sketchy to me.

In my limited trail race experience, most of them start on asphalt because it is important to thin out the crowd and get into somewhat of a pace order. Once you get on the trail, which is often single track, you don't want hundreds of people trying to pass each other. Some also end on asphalt because that's where a finish line can be set up.

BTW Who remembers the 2013 ToT 10 Miler where we had a couple of hundred feet on a "path" as we entered ESPN? The footing was weird and the lighting (night race) was awful because we were running into bright lights that blinded us! There were lots of complaints as I recall.

ATTQOTD: I "volunteer" each year for the local Lake Hartwell Dam Run. DH is a race director, so I help do lots of stuff with the other race director wife, like take DH to pick up a U-Haul to carry everything to the race, pick up shirts and finisher mugs in Athens, sort volunteer shirts from participant shirts, set up tables the morning of the race, hand out bibs/ shirts that morning, clear up at the end, or whatever I can do. I always run the 10k (my POT race for Disney, except for MW), so I don't hand out water, man the food tables at the end, or anything that happens on the course (or help with timing -- Carole at Classic Race Services handles that). My profile picture is from that race last year.

P.S. When giving out bibs, I am always amazed at how many volunteers can't work with alphabetical order!!!

HA! I think you have hit on 2 of the 3 races I considered but decided against for this year!
I am terrified of the Ambassador bridge and decided to do Wine & Dine, but I think Freep will happen at some point!

The bridge was no problem. I didn't care for the tunnel back.....something about going down, then up-I prefer the opposite!

The bridge was no problem. I didn't care for the tunnel back.....something about going down, then up-I prefer the opposite!
I am terrified of most bridges. I walked Mackinaw once and hugged land when I got off. I don't care for the tunnel, either. Both weird me out in a vehicle so I am not sure how I would do on foot.

ATTQOTD: formal volunteer, no, informal for holding gear bags, car keys etc for my dad or his co workers, yes. The last time I formally volunteered at a sporting event I ended up running the bull pen for a United States Swimming/Illinois Swimming Inc time trial as a 17 year old since none of the team adults could get it done.

ATTQOTD: Well, uh...my brother got in trouble with the law when he was in high school and got assigned community service, and my parents’ solution was for the whole family to volunteer at a bunch of road races. We gave out water and prepped food, mostly, and I actually had a really good time doing it. Never kept up with it as an adult, but that was my first exposure to running as a sport and I think it influenced me to want to take it up later. I love the whole atmosphere of those races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter