• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: The only thing I have ~had~ to throw out are shorts/pants that get holes from my thighs. But that isn't until after I have tried sewing them once or twice.

ATTQOTD: When they start looking ratty which takes a long time for this shopaholic. I have four drawers that are jam packed with workout clothes and there's always more on the drying rack.

Lysol makes a laundry sanitizer that works wonders. My MIL smokes and before I found this I would literally have to put our clothes through the washing machine three times using the pre-wash setting, heavy soil and extra rinse cycles just to get the smell out. I use it on our gym clothes to keep them smelling fresh.

there was an informative article on this specific problem posted on a self-help website earlier this year. the issue is with wicking materials and the proposed solution is rinsing (and/or washing) after every workout.
I do that, as soon as I walk back in the door. There is no amount of Tide or OxyClean that can get the stink out once you hit a certain point. Or maybe I'm just smelly...:rotfl2:

I've not had much that I had to throw out yet because it was worn out. I've gotten rid of things I just didn't like any more though. I'm going to sell some of my Sparkle Skirts soon just because I've switched to (and bought more) InknBurn lately.

QOTD: At what point do you decide that a running shirt or shorts are no longer worthy of wearing for a run?
I don't think I've ever thrown shorts out...there are a few a I just don't wear, some because I don't like them, but a couple others because they are lighter coloured material and they just shouldn't see the light of day. Those will get worn for the odd (very rare) treadmill run in my basement. Older shirts that I don't like anymore (I tend to find they get stretched out over time) usually end up in the yardwork drawer or even as shop rags. Old race shirts are great for cleaning your bike with!

When the "smell" doesn't come out in the wash.
Even then there are some shirts that are just too good to toss...I'm looking at you long-sleeve half-zip mock-neck Lululemon top with thumb-holes! (wow that's a lot of hyphens)

QOTD: At what point do you decide that a running shirt or shorts are no longer worthy of wearing for a run?
ATTQOTD: Before the performance wear stuff was popular, I would designate older less worn cotton T shirts to run in. I would wear them until they got washed too many times and would simply disintegrate in the dryer. I would then grab the next set of T-shirts from the bottom of my drawer for running. The performance "tech" material seems to last longer or maybe it is because I only wear them for running. I would say I haven't thrown out much since switching but I do have several shirts that are definitely past their prime.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: When they stink or the fit is not right anymore. I need to get better about rinsing mine out after I finish running. I am really bad about getting rid of anything though, because I need all the clothes.

My bigger problem is that I do not have many running clothes I like, so I am never throwing them away. I was recently looking at the tech fabric stink out products because they are not doing well, but I cannot decide if it is worth it to try (but I seem to only be able to buy it by the gallon), or if I scour ebay for the favorite tank top that covers my back and does not chafe, but is apparently the 2016 model.

ATTQOTD: I have a hard time getting rid of my running gear. I have some fitted running tanks I got rid of because I wasn’t wearing them anymore.
I have a favorite pair of running pants which I will need to purge soon because they are wearing out. I am very sad.

ATTQOTD: When I get chafing from the clothing no matter how much Body Glide I use. Sports bras are also not cheap, so that will generally be why I finally retire one. The new bra is my long-run-doesn't-chafe bra, and then the older ones gradually get demoted to shorter runs until they chafe too badly. I use pretty much the same principle with shorts and other running clothes. Socks go when I get holes in them somewhere.

Some are not worthy right from the start. More and more races around me are giving away tech shirts and some are cheap and not very good. They never make the "rotation". For shirts that age out it is usually that a seam is coming loose or it has a hole.

I use this wash that I got from Amazon and have never had the odor of sweat not come out in one wash. It is 29 cents per ounce and a better deal than Nathan (39 cents) or WIN (31 cents). I read somewhere a while back that the Atsko wash is the exact same as the branded washes but a generic version. I have no idea but it has worked for me.

I've tried using Defunkify, but it hasn't worked. I'm almost out of that, so maybe I'll try this next. I sweat WAY too much and thus my clothes get the doesn't-wash-out smell far too early for me to get rid of them immediately when that happens - at least the sports bras. I figure that I'm only putting it out to go out and get smelly again, so I just deal with the remaining smell.

I have been running for 5 years and haven't thrown anything out yet, but there are some items that I don't wear as often as I used to.

As for the smell issue, I generally put in a touch of Mr. Clean, the antibacterial type, with my Tide, and the smell comes out. I spent last month at the beach in FL and didn't have any Mr. Clean with me, and only used the liquid detergent that was in the condo. By the end of the month, some of the clothes were stinky (especially the sports bras that stayed damp for the longest). When I got home, I added the Mr. Clean and, voila, the odor was gone. My mama used this trick when I was growing up, back in the day when we were sent outside to play and were locked out until meal time. We played hard and came in stinky!

I've tried using Defunkify, but it hasn't worked. I'm almost out of that, so maybe I'll try this next. I sweat WAY too much and thus my clothes get the doesn't-wash-out smell far too early for me to get rid of them immediately when that happens - at least the sports bras. I figure that I'm only putting it out to go out and get smelly again, so I just deal with the remaining smell.

I toss my clothing into a hamper and wait until I have a full load. I wash with the stuff I linked to, dry in a dryer on low heat (no fabric softener or dryer sheets), and have had no odor issues. I do line dry padded cycling shorts but that is it.

ATTQOTD: I keep all my workout gear separate and wash it with a detergent that is formulated to work on the tech performance fabrics. Then out onto the line to air-dry in the sun. That has done a lot to keep the smell down and stuff is in general holding up pretty well. I've had to give away some stuff that no longer fits because I've lost weight, but nothing's had to be tossed because of the smell.

In better news, they let me run today! My first run out since June 8. I was allowed a 5k at the local track, with walking breaks (4:30/0:30), at easy pace. Now I get to wait and see if my shins hurt this afternoon and if they don't I'm allowed to do it again on Wednesday. Fingers crossed, because pool running is very boring. (The track is an improvement over pool running, and that is saying something. That said, I'm still back at the pool tomorrow.)

Hoping for similar good news for @Z-Knight soon!

Now time to come up with the list that I'm getting reservations at tomorrow for the marathon weekend, and to start thinking about registration prep. So exciting!

ATTQOTD: I haven't reached the point when a shirt gets benched on its own, yet. However, as I've collected race shirts and some new technology (the running shirt drawer is pretty full), there are a few that have fallen out of rotation because they get overlooked for the better/newer/snappier shirts. Kinda sad...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter