The Problem with Galaxy's Edge

But then why did they buy the whole enchilada if all they cared about were the chips on the side?
For the rights, merchandising, and ability to do whatever they want to with the brand. But they are going to push their creation over other peoples creations…

Because Disney didn’t make those

Fair point...but, they’re also have movies and TV series that place outside of the timeline: Rogue One, Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Bad Batch, Ahsoka, Rogue Squardron, and of course, The Mandalorian. Why limit the land to just the sequels when they can also include all of their other content?

Fair point...but, they’re also have movies and TV series that place outside of the timeline: Rogue One, Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Bad Batch, Ahsoka, Rogue Squardron, and of course, The Mandalorian. Why limit the land to just the sequels when they can also include all of their other content?
And the Mandalorian and Kenobi will venture back to Tatooine… I just think Disney is pushing their movies instead of the Star Wars franchise. The movies/series with classic ties and characters will always win out over Disneys new unknowns

Hmm, couldn’t be more wrong there….Most people seem to enjoy the Mandalorian, and they didn’t grow up with that……The prequels were mostly criticized for visuals, not for story….but the sequels are criticized for story And character development.
Rogue one was also popular among the Star Wars “geeks”….

All the way up until the Disney trilogy hardcore Star Wars nerds hated the prequel movies for their characters and story. Many fans also made fun of those that liked the prequel movies. The visuals in the prequel are great. Have you forgotten how Star Wars “fans” bullied the kid that played young Anakin in Episode 1 so bad he retired from acting not long after? People still joke about Hayden’s acting as young adult Anakin being bad in the movies. Some also hated Anakin’s turn to the dark side being that he only killed kids. There is loads more I seen online in various forums over the years.

Sadly, the Star Wars fan base is pretty toxic.

All the way up until the Disney trilogy hardcore Star Wars nerds hated the prequel movies for their characters and story. Many fans also made fun of those that liked the prequel movies. The visuals in the prequel are great. Have you forgotten how Star Wars “fans” bullied the kid that played young Anakin in Episode 1 so bad he retired from acting not long after? People still joke about Hayden’s acting as young adult Anakin being bad in the movies. Some also hated Anakin’s turn to the dark side being that he only killed kids. There is loads more I seen online in various forums over the years.

Yes some, but I feel the divide the new movies has brought is greater than what the prequels brought.

And the Mandalorian and Kenobi will venture back to Tatooine… I just think Disney is pushing their movies instead of the Star Wars franchise

Well, Mando travels all over the galaxy, so he’s open to visiting Batuu. I’ve read books where Obi-Wan has left Tatooine, so it’s possible he could travel off-planet during his series. Same with Andor. Same with any of them, honestly.

The sequels are done, for better or worse. They‘ve already moved forward with Mandalorian, which the fandom seems to adore, Bad Batch seems to be doing well, and they’re working on a bunch of new TV series and a few new movies. They’d be insane not to incorporate this stuff into the land.

One of my favorite details of Galaxy’s Edge is how lived-in it looks, almost like it came right of the original movie. There are blaster marks on the walks, droid and alien tracks in the ground. There are so many stories there. I think it can be from any point in the universe.

Well, Mando travels all over the galaxy, so he’s open to visiting Batuu. I’ve read books where Obi-Wan has left Tatooine, so it’s possible he could travel off-planet during his series. Same with Andor. Same with any of them, honestly.

The sequels are done, for better or worse. They‘ve already moved forward with Mandalorian, which the fandom seems to adore, Bad Batch seems to be doing well, and they’re working on a bunch of new TV series and a few new movies. They’d be insane not to incorporate this stuff into the land.

One of my favorite details of Galaxy’s Edge is how lived-in it looks, almost like it came right of the original movie. There are blaster marks on the walks, droid and alien tracks in the ground. There are so many stories there. I think it can be from any point in the universe.
Yes they all travel off of tatooine but that planet is the constant in all of Star Wars and should have been the basis of GE. They could have done so much with having the falcon in the hangar. Jawas. Mos Eisley Cantina. And much more that fans could relate to

They also nearly drove Ahmed Best, who played Jar Jar Binks, to suicide. They hated the prequels. I saw the midnight show of Phantom Menace and someone shouted “LAME!!” when it ended. They were awful to little Jake Lloyd. They booed when Darth Maul died. They hated Hayden. Fans were just...not good.

They held mock trials of George Lucas for “ruining their childhoods” (I won’t repeat the song they came up with). More recently, they drove Kelly Marie Tran off of social media, and she wound up in therapy.

One of the reasons George Lucas sold his company to Disney was because he was tired of being yelled at by “fans”.

Last edited:
Yes they all travel off of tatooine but that planet is the constant in all of Star Wars and should have been the basis of GE. They could have done so much with having the falcon in the hangar. Jawas. Mos Eisley Cantina. And much more that fans could relate to

But then they’re stuck with it. The land would have to stick with what we saw in that one movie. With Batuu, it’s a new place which gives them a little more freedom to the incorporate whatever story they want.

But then they’re stuck with it. The land would have to stick with what we saw in that one movie. With Batuu, it’s a new place which gives them a little more freedom to the incorporate whatever story they want.
Yes but the one constant is tatooine, is it not? and it’s not just one movie. That planet has been featured regularly across the franchise. In shows, movies, in everything. No one has ever heard of Batuu nor do they have any attachment to it.

Yes but the one constant is tatooine, is it not? and it’s not just one movie. That planet has been featured regularly across the franchise. In shows, movies, in everything. No one has ever heard of Batuu nor do they have any attachment to it.

I’ve been a fan for over 40 years, it didn’t bother me at all that this was a new location. Every Star Wars property has introduced new planets, new cities. This was another new place, and that was fine. New designs, new bars, it’s all good. The Falcon being there was more than enough for something familiar. (seriously, it’s beautiful, I took about 87 pictures of it and one of them is my profile picture on my work slack)

What I’m hoping for is more. More aliens, more droids. More characters. I enjoy the sequels, but there’s a whole universe of characters that they can use. It’s a beautiful land, they need to make even more of it.

What I’m hoping for is more. More aliens, more droids. More characters. I enjoy the sequels, but there’s a whole universe of characters that they can use. It’s a beautiful land, they need to make even more of it.
I can agree with more. I wish they would utilize more characters. While I am not a fan of the sequels, so I do have my bias, I think its too dominant in the land. Give us OT characters, give us Mandalorian characters, give us fan favorites. Jawas, droids, random background characters from the movies. Something more than Rey, Chewie and Kylo. Love to see a Mando or Boba. R2 and 3PO walking around.

They also nearly drove Ahmed Best, who played Jar Jar Binks, to suicide. They hated the prequels. I saw the midnight show of Phantom Menace and someone shouted “LAME!!” when it ended. They were awful to little Jake Lloyd. They booed when Darth Maul died. They hated Hayden. Fans were just...not good.

They held mock trials of George Lucas for “ruining their childhoods” (I won’t repeat the song they came up with). More recently, they drove Kelly Marie Tran off of social media, and she wound up in therapy.

One of the reasons George Lucas sold his company to Disney was because he was tired of being yelled at by “fans”.
None of the actors deserved that treatment, I think we can all agree on that. And people not being able to separate the two is beyond me….
But Jar Jar and Rose were terrible characters. Child Anakin was a bit cringe, but not terrible. I do think Darth Maul should have lasted longer. He was a favorite among the fans.

I can agree with more. I wish they would utilize more characters. While I am not a fan of the sequels, so I do have my bias, I think its too dominant in the land. Give us OT characters, give us Mandalorian characters, give us fan favorites. Jawas, droids, random background characters from the movies. Something more than Rey, Chewie and Kylo. Love to see a Mando or Boba. R2 and 3PO walking around.

Exactly!!! :yay:

None of the actors deserved that treatment, I think we can all agree on that. And people not being able to separate the two is beyond me….
But Jar Jar and Rose were terrible characters. Child Anakin was a bit cringe, but not terrible. I do think Darth Maul should have lasted longer. He was a favorite among the fans.

The worst is not being able to separate the two. I’m not a fan of “I hated this character, but...” Whatever we think of the character is irrelevant. Learning that someone was bullied to the point where they actually contemplated suicide means it’s time to put whatever you think of the silly space movie up on the shelf and work on how we can be kinder to each other. It means the world to me, but at the end of the day, it really is just a silly space movie that we shouldn’t get so worked up over.

The worst is not being able to separate the two. I’m not a fan of “I hated this character, but...” Whatever we think of the character is irrelevant. Learning that someone was bullied to the point where they actually contemplated suicide means it’s time to put whatever you think of the silly space movie up on the shelf and work on how we can be kinder to each other. It means the world to me, but at the end of the day, it really is just a silly space movie that we shouldn’t get so worked up over.
I agree, there are things we like and dislike about them, and good and bad characters, but the actors are doing a job…no reason to blame them for how a character or story is written

Sure, of course. I think what I and some others are saying is that the GE concept is faulty at a more fundamental level especially compared with Wizarding World or Avengers Campus. I think GE should be more flexible in its set up and allow for characters from multiple eras or timelines co-exist with each other. It shouldn't be locked into a certain date and time within the Star Wars universe.
I disagree for one reason- it is much easier to start at a consolidated point in time (ie between 8 and 9) and go to a fragmented timeline than it is to do the reverse. This is a new thing, and not something we’ll likely see in the future. I do not think Disney will retheme both rides and assorted “scripts” at once. (They’d have to shut the whole land down!)

One would hope! Considering most of the new and upcoming content (Andor, Obi Wan, The Bad Batch, The Book of Boba Fett, The Mandalorian, etc.) is still going to be set in or close to the "Original Trilogy" era, the Sequel Trilogy timeframe is going to look more and more like an outdated oddity.
I’m hoping for some Thrawn involvement in the future, assuming he gets integrated into the live action shows. He has canon storylines in Batuu already!

Because Star Wars geeks hate every Star Wars that isn’t the one they grew up with and believe that their opinions and theirs alone are correct and sacrosanct and they gatekeep to death anyone who dares disagree. People beat this horse 20 years ago with the prequels. And it will be beaten again whenever the next ones come out.

100%. My dad has been a fan since the 70s. He’s one of those who would bike down to the theater and take turns with his friends standing up in the back and reading the crawl out loud. He’s the reason why we have so many versions of the OT on tape, DVD, and Blu-ray.

When TLJ came out and there were all these comments about how it was terrible and wrecked Star Wars, he said that it reminded him of fans complaining about ESB back in 1980. People hated that it was so dark; that it was different from the first film; that, effectively, Luke didn’t “win.” And then all of a sudden, after RotJ comes out and years pass, it becomes this darling of the franchise.

So yeah. Let’s see where things stand in 10 or so years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter