The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

We were thinking of doing the Quebec City to NY cruise this fall.

If we drive to Quebec City from home, it is less than 6 hours according to mapquest.
Has anyone had experience with one-way rentals over the US/Candian border?

Or any ideas about buses that may go from NH or VT to Quebec City?
Seems like all the transportation options from here are way out of the way and very expensive, especially when the drive would be so short.

Also, the prices are pretty high for this cruise right now.
Is it likely the price will come down within 60 days of the sail date?

If we drive to Quebec City from home, it is less than 6 hours according to mapquest.

Seems like all the transportation options from here are way out of the way and very expensive, especially when the drive would be so short.

You can definitely do VT or NH to and from Montreal (and then to Quebec) by bus. Look up Greyhound for your transfers to Montreal and then Orleans Express from Montreal to Quebec.

I don't own a car but I have many friends who rent cars here in the province of Quebec in order to go take flights in Plattsburgh so the rental should be a breeze.

No personal experience with this but I would imagine it has been done.

You can get a Greyhound from either Concord, NH or Montpelier, VT that will take you directly to Montreal where as @mevelandry has mentioned you can get a bus to Quebec City.

Disney is currently showing IGT/OGT/VGT rates (the guaranteed room with restrictions) through the beginning of June. They generally offer those rates when they are trying to fill cruises. I would say once we hit 90 days out there is a possibility that those rates could be listed and they are generally lower than the normal rates.

For this particular cruise I have no idea what the likelihood would be of those rates becoming available since this is the second time Disney is visiting some of these ports (the first time will be the week before coming from NYC) specifically Saguenay and Baie Comeau.

I am currently trying to convince my husband to spend a week-end in Quebec this summer (before you all cruise here). I could post a few pictures and give you some more of my recommendations at the same time. :)

Doable but tends to be a lot more expensive than returning to the same country. I did the other way (Canada to the US). It was supposed to be a return rental (i.e. bringing it back to Canada), but had to change due to work (and work covered the extra costs).

I am currently trying to convince my husband to spend a week-end in Quebec this summer (before you all cruise here). I could post a few pictures and give you some more of my recommendations at the same time. :)

I thought you were from Quebec?

I thought you were from Quebec?

In doing research for our upcoming cruise from Quebec to NYC, I discovered that it is common for people from Quebec (the province) to refer to Quebec City (as we refer to it in the U.S.) as simply Quebec. It confused me at first as well. :-)

Last edited:
In doing research for our upcoming cruise from Quebec to NYC, I discovered that it is common for people from Quebec (the province) to refer to Quebec City (as we refer to it in the U.S.) as simply Quebec. It confused me at first as well. :-)

That's correct.

In french we say "Au Québec" when we are talking about the province of Québec and "À Québec" when we are talking about the city. :)

Living in Montreal, about 2.5 Hours from Quebec City. Been to Quebec a few times. Hear about it every day in the news... Got friends who live there too. :)

Gotcha. Down here we call the province Quebec and would say "Quebec City" for the city.

The prices just dropped quite a bit. About 1k since opening day. They are offering GT rates already.

Wow! I just looked at the GT pricing. That's a super deal (for Disney anyway :)). I am quite surprised that they would be offering those rates this far out. I thought they normally waited until after PIF. There seemed to be a good bit of excitement when those cruises were announced, but I guess at the end they didn't sell very well.

I have to say that it didn't make much noise in Quebec when they announced it, it made a few articles and that's it. Most people who were interested walked the other way when they saw the prices. Nobody wants to drop 4000$ to visit their own province. :rotfl2:

Wow! I just looked at the GT pricing. That's a super deal (for Disney anyway :)). I am quite surprised that they would be offering those rates this far out. I thought they normally waited until after PIF. There seemed to be a good bit of excitement when those cruises were announced, but I guess at the end they didn't sell very well.

Where do you find the GT pricing?

Where do you find the GT pricing?

When you look up those cruises on DCL's website, the GT prices will be the first one you see in each category. It will say Guaranteed (whichever category you're looking at) Stateroom with Restrictions. Pricing for 2 adults is:

Inside 2895.52
Oceanview 3175.52
Verandah 4127.52

We looked very seriously at these cruises before eventually booking NCL instead, and for 2 adults in a 5B it was around $5500 on opening day. I guess Disney must have overestimated the price these cruises could bring. At this point there is nothing stopping anyone that doesn't care about picking a particular stateroom from just cancelling and booking one of these. Had we gone with DCL instead of NCL, I probably would be doing just that! That's a lot of savings!!

I think I mentioned a few times on this board they wouldn't sell. The Canadian cruises just don't for some reason and this one was particularly problematic in that it was a one way cruise. There's a lot of discounts on DCL right now. Even some GT rates in November and December. There also offering EU discounts this Fall which I've never seen before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter