The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

I think I mentioned a few times on this board they wouldn't sell. The Canadian cruises just don't for some reason and this one was particularly problematic in that it was a one way cruise. There's a lot of discounts on DCL right now. Even some GT rates in November and December. There also offering EU discounts this Fall which I've never seen before.

The transportation is an issue, for sure. Our NCL cruise was originally supposed to be r/t out of NYC, but ended up changing to a one way. Flying into Quebec City can be pricey, and flying into Montreal adds another step to the journey. In the end it worked out for us. We found a reasonably priced flight to Quebec City, and are going to spend the weekend there prior to our cruise so we're pretty happy with how it all turned out. But I can understand why some folks wouldn't want to fool with it. Cruising r/t out of NYC is such a treat for those of us that live in the Northeast.

It will be interesting to see what DCL does next year. There really is no way to sail round trip out of NYC and go all the way to Quebec City unless it's a very long cruise. Our NCL cruise was originally a 10 night r/t but they ended up scrapping them for one ways of between 9 and 12 days. They never said why but speculation was the new speed restriction on the Saint Lawrence river was the reason.

I agree with the above posters that the transportation to Quebec City is a pain in the neck. We are renting a one-way car from NH to Quebec City ($250/one day) for about a 5 hour drive.
Other options were to fly, which was much more expensive and would take much longer to get there than driving;
Or bus which that would put us over nighting in Montreal (bus gets in late) and still have a few hours the next day to get to Quebec City.

Glad we booked this sailing as I am wondering if Disney will repeat it again next season.

I agree with the above posters that the transportation to Quebec City is a pain in the neck. We are renting a one-way car from NH to Quebec City ($250/one day) for about a 5 hour drive.
Other options were to fly, which was much more expensive and would take much longer to get there than driving;
Or bus which that would put us over nighting in Montreal (bus gets in late) and still have a few hours the next day to get to Quebec City.

Glad we booked this sailing as I am wondering if Disney will repeat it again next season.

We considered renting a car and driving for just the reason you mentioned. We live at least an hour and 15 minutes from the Pittsburgh airport (assuming no traffic - and there is ALWAYS traffic), so when you factor in the drive, getting there 2 hours early, and having to lay over in Toronto even driving from SW PA wouldn't have taken that all that much longer. You're looking at a full day of travel either way.

I am already plotting for the future, though. Maybe in a few years we will cruise from NYC to Quebec, then rent a car and drive home, stopping in the NY Finger Lakes for a few days along the way to replenish my Riesling stash. :rolleyes1

Another factor is that it's a Thursday to Thurday cruise which means missing 1 1/2 weeks of work or school vs one week. It will be interesting to see if they go back next year. Their one way Hawaii cruises in September didn't sell either and they haven't been back yet.

I wanted to go on this cruise so badly. The opening price was the first thing that scared me away. The other is the time of year. My daughter starts middle school next year so I can't really pull her out of school anymore. We do have a day off of school during one of these cruises so would only have to take 5 days off, but it would still be difficult. If she wouldn't get completely mad at me, I'd go without her!

Another factor is that it's a Thursday to Thurday cruise which means missing 1 1/2 weeks of work or school vs one week. It will be interesting to see if they go back next year. Their one way Hawaii cruises in September didn't sell either and they haven't been back yet.

Yep middle of the week cruises suck. I had to take two weeks vacation. If you only have a partial week vacation someone can bump you out of it with a week. I’m on the nyc to Quebec cruise.

I wanted to go on this cruise so badly. The opening price was the first thing that scared me away. The other is the time of year. My daughter starts middle school next year so I can't really pull her out of school anymore. We do have a day off of school during one of these cruises so would only have to take 5 days off, but it would still be difficult. If she wouldn't get completely mad at me, I'd go without her!

I would have been all over it if if wasn't during the school year. Principals do not look kindly on teachers taking time off for vacation. :(

I would have been all over it if if wasn't during the school year. Principals do not look kindly on teachers taking time off for vacation. :(
My principal doesn't care as long as I have a substitute lined up. My days are my days to take however I want to take them. My problem is taking my daughter out of middle school now. Elementary wasn't so difficult. Those GT rates are SO tempting! I have always wanted to go to Quebec and I bet the foliage that time of year will be fabulous!

My principal doesn't care as long as I have a substitute lined up. My days are my days to take however I want to take them. My problem is taking my daughter out of middle school now. Elementary wasn't so difficult. Those GT rates are SO tempting! I have always wanted to go to Quebec and I bet the foliage that time of year will be fabulous!

Well, we do have 3 personal days...but it would have to coincide with a holiday (preferably Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur being right next to another day off) to be able to make that work. My principal is kind of a pain.

On our Hawaii cruise they had homework help hours in the Edge. Of course all the kids avoided the Edge during those hours.:laughing: I'd wait and see if they offer it next year before making a decision. Does your daughter get a Fall break. I think if offered the cruises the first 2 weeks of October when many schools have Fall break they might be able to book more rooms.
It's still incredibly overpriced if your a family of four. If they can get enough party of 2's to book they may end up selling it out in the end.

Last edited:
I had this cruise booked for some time but as soon as the GT rates were released, I cancelled my reservation and rebooked saving me hundreds. I was then able to shift the onboard booking discount to a future cruise I had. Nice. Pleased these came out before paid in full date but am surprised they did!!! Can't remember the last time I saw that. This cruise really must not be selling well at all!

I expect it to be nice but not sure which one of Quebec City, Saguenay or Baie-Comeau will have the best at that time of the year.

Guys, I just spoke with my husband and it is almost certain that by the end of this summer (it a worst case scenario because I would love to go in June), I will be in Quebec for at least one day.

So please prepare a list of things you'd like to see, more specifically in Old Quebec. (I don't have a car so I will most likely remain in that part of town.) and I'll do my best to take as much pictures as I can.

:D

Did you get a list of available excursions yet?

By the way, the province of Quebec is VERY SAFE, especially in Saguenay and Baie Comeau. If you see some excursion you'd like more, feel free to NOT book with DCL to save a little money. Can't say I've ever heard of any scams happening regarding tours.

However, know that there could be a shortage of taxi cabs in Saguenay and Baie Comeau as most people travel by car & public transportation is not very developped there (some villages have only 1 car driver). Not sure UBER is a thing there (I can ask my friends).

Quebec will be just fine. Lots of options. Cabs, UBER, public bus, etc. (no subway though).

Guys, I just spoke with my husband and it is almost certain that by the end of this summer (it a worst case scenario because I would love to go in June), I will be in Quebec for at least one day.

So please prepare a list of things you'd like to see, more specifically in Old Quebec. (I don't have a car so I will most likely remain in that part of town.) and I'll do my best to take as much pictures as I can.

:D

Thank you! It's incredibly kind of you to offer.

We are staying at Auberge Place d Armes, so would love to know what's nearby that's fun to see and do. You already mentioned that there is a good restaurant in that hotel, so we definitely plan on trying that one night. I'm also curious about how close the ships dock to the tourist areas. Looking at pictures and maps, it seems to be right in the middle of things. Our cruise doesn't actually sail until 8 PM the second day, so we will have plenty of time to wander around even after the cruise technically "starts". I also would love to just hang out and watch the street performers for a bit and wondered where the best place is to catch them.

Thanks again! :flower1: We are really looking forward to this trip.

Did you get a list of available excursions yet?

By the way, the province of Quebec is VERY SAFE, especially in Saguenay and Baie Comeau. If you see some excursion you'd like more, feel free to NOT book with DCL to save a little money. Can't say I've ever heard of any scams happening regarding tours.

However, know that there could be a shortage of taxi cabs in Saguenay and Baie Comeau as most people travel by car & public transportation is not very developped there (some villages have only 1 car driver). Not sure UBER is a thing there (I can ask my friends).

Quebec will be just fine. Lots of options. Cabs, UBER, public bus, etc. (no subway though).

That explains a lot. I've been searching and searching for tour operators in Saguenay and have really only come up with one company. They are fairly expensive (especially if you want a private tour), and really only have one tour option which is kind of underwhelming. I'm waiting to see what NCL offers. We aren't big on ship tours, but one of the perks we got with booking is a $100 per port shore excursion credit, so we may take advantage of that in a port or two. They are just now starting to release the excursions for our cruise, but none for Saguenay so far. I'm curious what they will come up with. I definitely want to get into the National Park at some point.

I just saw on the Disney Cruise Blog that DCL is now offering Canadian resident rates on these cruises. Depending on which category you book, it could be even cheaper than the GT rates. Just a heads up for all our Canadian friends!

Hi group!

Just a little update: As I told you the other day, I'll be visiting Quebec very soon. I've just made my booking.

I'd invite you to try Hotwire if you are looking for good hotel options and are willing to gamble a little. I've got a 3.5 stars hotel for what would be around 100$ USD for you.

I'm not disappointed. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter