The Keys to the Kingdom Tour

For those who have done the tour, the utilidor is written about a lot, was it what you thought it would be?
It’s nice to have been there to say that I have been there … outside of that … it wasn’t the most memorable part of it.

For those who have done the tour, the utilidor is written about a lot, was it what you thought it would be?
It reminded me a lot of the bottom floor of a cruise ship (We've done two behind the scenes cruise ship tours which I just loved). I think I expected to see more action in the utilidors, so that part of the tour was sort of ho hum for me. On the cruise ship bottom floors you see a lot more action. Even though I am a HUGE Disney fan and not a big cruise ship fan, I found the behind the scenes tours of the cruise ships to be more interesting / was more fascinated by those tours than I was by this one.

It’s nice to have been there to say that I have been there … outside of that … it wasn’t the most memorable part of it.
This is exactly why you should go. while the utilidors are not awe inspiring it’s not likely that you will get another opportunity to see them. I seem to remember a bit of activity when I visited. I think that we were able to see costuming through the windows and there were several small vehicles traveling through. Also not awe inspiring but you can see the disposal system and some other facets.

Whoa, at the risk of going off topic what cruise line was that?
The one behind the scenes tour was on the Carnival Valor. The other was on one of those big RCCL ships, the Harmony of the Seas. They were both excellent tours - small group and lasted about four hours or so. They aren't free -- first come / first serve signup and they usually aren't advertised. They were a little less in cost though than Keys to the Kingdom base price, not counting the theme park admission.

I've never done a Disney Cruise. Like I said before too, I'm not really a cruise / all inclusive person for vacation preference (although those are easy options to visit / vacation with a large group of people for sure). I'm more of a land girl, though, if I'm picking the vacation.

It's just amazing how they stock the ship for a week in their short time period and feed all the people (quite well really). You get to visit the galleys, crew quarters and recreation area, laundry, the bridge to meet the captain, navigation area, engine rooms, all sorts of places. Those tours really captured my imagination, made me imagine what it would be like working on a cruise ship -- not something I'd want to do but interesting to think about. How they do all that on a moving vessel really blows my mind. It's pretty incredible to me.

You don't really see much of it. We did this tour a while back so maybe it has changed, but they basically take you down stairs, show you a video, I think we may have walked a short hallway and then out. There's no color down there, its all very grey and concrete. We didn't see characters or anything else down there. Overall it was very meh. Don't go on the tour just to see the utilidor.

We feel we saw more behind the scenes things on other tours in other parks. Unfortunately, all of them have been discontinued (namely UnDIScovered Future World in EPCOT and Backstage Safari at AK).
Interesting! I was a cast member in the late 90s and 2000. The walls had different colors for each land if I remember correctly. Fantasyland was purple and Tomorrowland was blue.

Interesting! I was a cast member in the late 90s and 2000. The walls had different colors for each land if I remember correctly. Fantasyland was purple and Tomorrowland was blue.
You remember correctly, but depending on what path they took they could have run into an area that is somewhat colorless. The long hallway that goes from the front to the back of MK is pretty bland.

You remember correctly, but depending on what path they took they could have run into an area that is somewhat colorless. The long hallway that goes from the front to the back of MK is pretty bland.
I think that is where we were

It would be apparent if you were there because you can see from one end to the other and it’s about twice the length of Main Street USA.

On one side there are large pipes running the entire length. Usually the only color there is are banners above and off to the side.

To me that corridor is one of the more memorable elements. Never saw Mickey there.

It would be apparent if you were there because you can see from one end to the other and it’s about twice the length of Main Street USA.

On one side there are large pipes running the entire length. Usually the only color there is are banners above and off to the side.

To me that corridor is one of the more memorable elements. Never saw Mickey there.
Yes. Probably the same spot. No Mickey or Donald for that matter. However glad I did it and was able to see the utilodors. As a Disney geek it checks off a big box for me,

Yes. Probably the same spot. No Mickey or Donald for that matter. However glad I did it and was able to see the utilodors. As a Disney geek it checks off a big box for me,
There are worse things to be than a Disney geek but as one you’re probably aware that there is a much smaller utilidor at Epcot.

Planning on booking 8:00 tour…..staying at Poly….will monorail be running early enough to get us there on time?

Just wanted to chime in - we did the tour 2 weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Our group did the Tiki Room and HM and lunch was at Columbia Harbor House. (I think the other groups did JC instead of Tiki Room, not sure how it’s decided) Had a couple of quick and entertaining characater interactions (Jasmine was looking for Aladdin and a monkey - “I have issues with both of them!” and Wendell the Country Bear - so cute!) while walking through the park, and saw several princesses in the utilidores as they were heading to the next castle show. There were lots of interesting tidbits we learned about different attractions and areas of the park. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Just wanted to chime in - we did the tour 2 weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Our group did the Tiki Room and HM and lunch was at Columbia Harbor House. (I think the other groups did JC instead of Tiki Room, not sure how it’s decided) Had a couple of quick and entertaining characater interactions (Jasmine was looking for Aladdin and a monkey - “I have issues with both of them!” and Wendell the Country Bear - so cute!) while walking through the park, and saw several princesses in the utilidores as they were heading to the next castle show. There were lots of interesting tidbits we learned about different attractions and areas of the park. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

This sounds wonderful! What time was your tour?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter