• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Importance of Being Prepared

I guess I'd say yes and no. For example, driver's ed was only two weeks, but then he was out of state for another week so that was three weeks where his work hours would have been limited/not possible if he had a job. Swim team was early mornings and then he had most of the day free and would either do his work, see friends or whatever. So it was not exactly that he was busy to the point of being overscheduled all summer, but just that he had a lot of things going on that would impact when he could actually work...which in turn would impact him being able to find an accommodating job.
I already said I wasn't saying your particular kids were overscheduled. That's just the way I could think to describe it.

There's a difference between a 16 year old and an 18 year old and a 19 year old and so on. Originally we were talking about college aged individuals. In any case you had valid reasons for a few summers ago, correct? Those same reasons didn't apply to the summers that they did work. What I'm talking about is the parents hold the control over whether their child has a job or not regardless of weighing the pros and the cons.

You would still want to weigh the pros and cons to your child having all the activities at once in terms of that over a job. If say you're out for a swimming scholorship then of course swim team would be a great advantage. Driver's ed programs vary all over the place but you gotta take it somehow so you fit that in whenever your area does for it but that driver's ed isn't several years in a row so that wouldn't be the case for multiple summers in a row. APs and honors classes can help out a student when it comes to college.

I think this is pretty typical for many involved high school students. There's a lot of summer sport practices now and summer AP assignments and out of town learning/volunteering opportunities that limit their availability.

To add to my earlier comment, most fast food and other typical part time employers here are now corporations whose hiring process is corporate controlled and takes more time than it should for background checks, in processing and training. This took our son about a month to push through just for Cracker Barrel. The on line training he was required to do in no way helped his ability to be an effective bus boy/dishwasher.

He talked himself into the Cracker Barrel job by saying that he'd transfer to the one 30 miles from his college town. The interviewer gave him the job. But after our son's experience at our local one, he never even checked out the one nearest his college town.

He instead walked back into his college town job with much better working conditions and people to work for and better pay 10 minutes from his apartment and never looked back. He also got his brother hired there. Both have been very happy and spent only a very limited time at home over Christmas break so that they could go back to work.

Our high school junior daughter has been working as a goal keeper trainer and teaching tots how to play soccer. This job works with her availability. And is a pretty typical job of active kids here.
There's involved and then there's overinvolved. There's def. been many-a comments on the Boards regarding just how overinvolved kids these days seem to be-that's there words not mine. I think some are overinvolved and some just have activities but in general they don't compete with each other too much. That's more or less what I'm meaning about weighing pros and cons. If you were involved in a ton of activities and then found yourself thrust into the job market with little to no job experience were those activities worth it in the end? And the answer to that question would of course be "it depends".

Both sons will likely stay at their apartment in their college town 5 hours away and keep their part time jobs in that town this summer.

if they want some extra work tell them to check w/ their college to see if there are any summer openings. dd had her regular part-time job during college but then found that several departments at her college had summer vacancies b/c the students that normally held them went home summers. she ended pulling some nice extra pay checks between junior and senior year, with one job that she was able to continue on with once school started in addition to her regular position.

added benefit-multiple letters of recommendation/job references from university supervisors in different departments.

I erased this like 5 times but I cannot say nothing so here goes..

I'm not about to judge "people". Every single person has their own situation. Many are responsible, many are not. Many are trying to become responsible, many were responsible and their lives went to hell. You cannot accurately judge "people" as one great mass.

As for a different world than when you were young- yes. Yes it is. The world has changed financially in the last few decades in 2 key ways making it impossible to compare then to today:
1) College. Older generations were not saddled with the financial debt many millennials now are with the obscene costs of college that rise exponentially each year- and if you want an office type job you better college or you can forget it. And if the millennial didn't cover the cost their parent did and might have drained their savings in order to do so.
2) The opportunity to rack up debt wasn't there. This would be a much more impressive argument if when you were young you could gotten a 10k loan with a few taps of your fingers. Bought that TV with a couple taps of your hand that indicated a promise to pay later- but you couldn't, so it isn't. The temptation was never there.

Had older generations had the same obstacles and temptations at these earlier points in life it might have been very different.

I agree with you but I still think people these days have a hard time depriving themselves of anything they want. I see people with big credit card bills going to Starbucks and buying things they really don't need and can't afford. Yes, I agree, it is easier these days when people have 10 credit cards. I wonder how many people declare bankruptcy these days as opposed to 30 years ago? And yes, I agree, college costs are disgusting. Our state college is $35K a year. When I went to my 4 year college 25 years ago (I commuted), I paid $1,500 a semester. Even though it is much easier to get credit these days, it's sad that people have no self control and they take advantage, even when they know they will not be able to pay the money back.

I agree with you but I still think people these days have a hard time depriving themselves of anything they want. I see people with big credit card bills going to Starbucks and buying things they really don't need and can't afford. Yes, I agree, it is easier these days when people have 10 credit cards. I wonder how many people declare bankruptcy these days as opposed to 30 years ago? And yes, I agree, college costs are disgusting. Our state college is $35K a year. When I went to my 4 year college 25 years ago (I commuted), I paid $1,500 a semester. Even though it is much easier to get credit these days, it's sad that people have no self control and they take advantage, even when they know they will not be able to pay the money back.
I'm not sure that's a fair comparison with the bankruptcy especially with discussing 30 years ago.

The #1 reason bankruptcy is filed is because medical debt. It's not the person racking up consumer debt being what we would consider irresponsible. I know it's easy target to say consumer spending habits have become terrible over time and I think yes and no to that. I think people in general have in the past spent money on things they didn't need. Starbucks is just a recent enough avenue to spend money on.

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison with the bankruptcy especially with discussing 30 years ago.

The #1 reason bankruptcy is filed is because medical debt. It's not the person racking up consumer debt being what we would consider irresponsible. I know it's easy target to say consumer spending habits have become terrible over time and I think yes and no to that. I think people in general have in the past spent money on things they didn't need. Starbucks is just a recent enough avenue to spend money on.

The #1 reason for bankruptcy is for medical debt? I have never heard of that but that is interesting, if true. Do you have any sources for that information? I do believe that years ago people went without things a lot more then they do these days. I do think that most people these days are better off financially then people were 50 years ago.

The #1 reason for bankruptcy is for medical debt? I have never heard of that but that is interesting, if true. Do you have any sources for that information? I do believe that years ago people went without things a lot more then they do these days. I do think that most people these days are better off financially then people were 50 years ago.
Surprising you've never heard that medical debt is crippling to people..where have you been living? Google will help you find the various sources out there; there's just way too many to even post.

I'm confused we're talking about 50 years ago..before you were talking about 30 years ago?

I'll grant you my grandparents generation (born in the '30s/'40s) were different-times were different--they saved in a way we haven't seen since.

Mind you I'm not saying consumer debt isn't an issue--it is. But buying things you don't need is not a novel concept.

After the 2005 bankruptcy reforms, it became a lot harder, more expensive, and less advantageous to declare bankruptcy (with bankruptcy filings immediately dropping 60% year-over-year after the new laws went into effect). So, now, it is true that in a 2015 study by Harvard, 63% of bankruptcy filings were the result of medical debt. Also, the average income for bankruptcy filers was $35K or so, so there has been a significant change.

NOW, bankruptcy filings do NOT include debt negotiation deals done...so, pretty much, the 2005 reforms moved large %s of these credit-over-users from bankruptcies to this non-bankruptcy action...

After the 2005 bankruptcy reforms, it became a lot harder, more expensive, and less advantageous to declare bankruptcy (with bankruptcy filings immediately dropping 60% year-over-year after the new laws went into effect). So, now, it is true that in a 2015 study by Harvard, 63% of bankruptcy filings were the result of medical debt. Also, the average income for bankruptcy filers was $35K or so, so there has been a significant change.

NOW, bankruptcy filings do NOT include debt negotiation deals done...so, pretty much, the 2005 reforms moved large %s of these credit-over-users from bankruptcies to this non-bankruptcy action...
A study that was published in early parts of 2005 (so before the reforms) found "46 percent of bankruptcies were related to outstanding medical conditions. The major cited reasons in this category included injury or illness, medical expenses not covered by insurance or losing at least two weeks’ worth of work because of illness."

So even before the reform it was a major issue and as costs of medical expenses rise, medical conditions rise (for instance I remember when I was a kid in the '90s/early 2000s knowing someone with cancer was very very rare), and all sorts of things are still a prominent factor as time goes on.

Part of that though is parents prohibiting college age individuals from getting jobs-usually for the reason of focusing on schooling ... My father-in-law's wife has prohibited her son from taking his car to college campus
College students -- well, the vast majority of them -- are legal adults. If they want to pick up a part-time job in their college town, they can do it. On the other hand, a parent has a legal right to say, "No, you can't take MY car to college" -- and having a car on campus is quite expensive, so I see the point. Regardless, I didn't have a car 'til I was a college senior, and I worked -- sometimes 2-3 jobs. Yes, being car-less limited my job choices, but I had no choice but to work.

And, yes, plenty of studies have shown that students who work a moderate number of hours per week do better academically /are best prepared for the work world. I think the magic number is something like 12-16 hours per week.

Of course, that doesn't take into account any personal circumstances: first-semester freshmen, students with academic disabilities, students in their last semester who are involved in student teaching, nursing clincials, engineering internships, etc. -- they're never mentioned in these studies.
People have alot more discretionary spending than in years past
Do people have more discretionary money these days, or is it that people are more willing to carry credit card debt and/or forego saving for their future?
One son was hired by Cracker Barrel as a dishwasher for that time, but he made very little after paying for oxford shirts, pants and special non slip shoes they required ... Both sons will likely stay at their apartment in their college town 5 hours away and keep their part time jobs in that town this summer.
Let me get this straight:
- After buying a couple shirts and a pair of shoes, your son earned essentially nothing after working all summer.
- Yet he can afford to live independently in his college town on what he earns in that summer job, even though that involves buying food and paying utilities?
No, I'm not buying that -- it doesn't add up financially. I think he's trying to justify staying in his college town for the summer.
I do think that most people these days are better off financially then people were 50 years ago.
I don't think so, and I think most of it is that we've increased our lifestyles, but we've done it at the cost of increased debt.

College students -- well, the vast majority of them -- are legal adults. If they want to pick up a part-time job in their college town, they can do it. On the other hand, a parent has a legal right to say, "No, you can't take MY car to college" -- and having a car on campus is quite expensive, so I see the point. Regardless, I didn't have a car 'til I was a college senior, and I worked -- sometimes 2-3 jobs. Yes, being car-less limited my job choices, but I had no choice but to work.

And, yes, plenty of studies have shown that students who work a moderate number of hours per week do better academically /are best prepared for the work world. I think the magic number is something like 12-16 hours per week.

Of course, that doesn't take into account any personal circumstances: first-semester freshmen, students with academic disabilities, students in their last semester who are involved in student teaching, nursing clincials, engineering internships, etc. -- they're never mentioned in these studies.
Of course they are adults. But when your parent is paying for your college education you can find yourself with little options. Seen it lots of times.

Hey I'm not saying I agree with it I'm just saying it's not as simple as judging the lack of not working on no motivation to do so.

I remember my mom and I doing dorm tours and I had asked about getting a double as a single (cost extra). A woman commented to my mom "You're allowing her to do that?" My mom was like "She's paying for it it's her choice". My mom wouldn't have prohibited me either way but still.

Do people have more discretionary money these days, or is it that people are more willing to carry credit card debt and/or forego saving for their future?
Let me get this straight:
- After buying a couple shirts and a pair of shoes, your son earned essentially nothing after working all summer.
- Yet he can afford to live independently in his college town on what he earns in that summer job, even though that involves buying food and paying utilities?
No, I'm not buying that -- it doesn't add up financially. I think he's trying to justify staying in his college town for the sumhsmer.

I don't think so, and I think most of it is that we've increased our lifestyles, but we've done it at the cost of increased debt.

Umm... okay.

If you read the whole thread, you'd see that DS was available to work for June and July. He got home from school mid May and began seeking employment. He had to return by the first week of August to be available for orientations, etc. on campus. Classes begin the 3rd week of August. Essentially 8 weeks at home.

Cracker Barrel job gave him only 12 to 15 hours at most per week at $7.75 less taxes. By the time they put him on the schedule, it was the first week of June. They paid him on a prepaid debit card. Not a check but a debit card that was difficult to access to put $ in his savings account or pay other bills from. He was very willing to work many more hours, but was not given them.

The rent for his apartment at college shared with 2 others is $350 per month. Utilities are about $75. Food is about $100 for him. Because he's not looking for a job, there's no lag time. He can work all of May, June, July and August and beyond. This job will allow him to work 20 to 25 or more hours per week depending on who wants off when. He makes tips and earns an average of $10 per hour. That's $200 per week-$800 per month. His basic expenses are $525. He'll come out way ahead of Cracker Barrel at this job and gets paid by direct deposit into his own checking account to spend the money wherever and however he needs to. He's also talked about picking up a second job this summer in his college town as kids do leave and there are more summer openings there than in our local area.

He'd have to maintain his rent for June and July if he came home to keep the apartment for the next school year anyway. So, yes it does add up for him to stay in his college town. If he came home, he'd lose the apartment and have to start over with utility deposits, storage for his stuff for the summer or hauling it home.

Last summer, he was between dorm and apartment. Freshmen stay on campus, but the campus does not have dorm space for students after the first year. So he came home. The rent on his apartment began August 1st as the guy whose room he took in the apartment moved out in July. Each kid sharing the apartment has their own contract with the leasing agent. So he was able to get in for August 1st. Hope that clears it up for you.

Last edited:
Umm... okay.

If you read the whole post, you'd see that DS was available to work for June and July. He got home from school mid May and began seeking employment. He had to return by the first week of August to be available for orientations, etc. on campus. Classes begin the 3rd week of August. Essentially 8 weeks at home.

Cracker Barrel job gave him only 12 to 15 hours at most per week at $7.75 less taxes. By the time they put him on the schedule, it was the first week of June. They paid him on a prepaid debit card. Not a check but a debit card that was difficult to access to put $ in his savings account or pay other bills from. He was very willing to work many more hours, but was not given them.

The rent for his apartment at college shared with 2 others is $350 per month. Utilities are about $75. Food is about $100 for him. Because he's not looking for a job, there's no lag time. He can work all of May, June, July and August and beyond. This job will allow him to work 20 to 25 or more hours per week depending on who wants off when. He makes tips and earns an average of $10 per hour. That's $200 per week-$800 per month. His basic expenses are $525. He'll come out way ahead of Cracker Barrel at this job and gets paid by direct deposit into his own checking account to spend the money wherever and however he needs to. He's also talked about picking up a second job this summer in his college town as kids do leave and there are more summer openings there than in our local area.

He'd have to maintain his rent for June and July if he came home to keep the apartment for the next school year anyway. So, yes it does add up for him to stay in his college town. If he came home, he'd lose the apartment and have to start over with utility deposits, storage for his stuff for the summer or hauling it home.

Last summer, he was between dorm and apartment. Freshmen stay on campus, but the campus does not have dorm space for students after the first year. So he came home. The rent on his apartment began August 1st as the guy whose room he took in the apartment moved out in July. Each kid sharing the apartment has their own contract with the leasing agent. So he was able to get in for August 1st. Hope that clears it up for you.
That’s nice the landlord gives each their own lease. That would be my concern about off campus housing. My son is a sophomore and hopes to be an RA in the fall because we feel campus housing works best for him. He doesn’t really know anyone he would want to share an apartment with and if he moved in with strangers it would be risky.

I agree with you about jobs for college kids. It’s realky easier said than done. My son worked last summer at an outdoor concert venue, which was perfect. It was easy because you could mark the events you were available to work, so he didn’t have to worry about asking off for our vacation or his week where he volunteered at 4H camp. He just didn’t check those shows that were scheduled those dates. However he didn’t get as many hours as he would have liked because people with seniority got first dibs. But he made about $1000. He is considering working 2 jobs this summer.

He applied to work at meijer over the winter break but by the time they scheduled his orientation the company cut hours and they ended up not hiring him. By then it was a little late to look for something else. Gone are the days where they call you in for an interview and then ask if you can start tomorrow. It takes forever to process applicants to bring them on to work.

That’s nice the landlord gives each their own lease. That would be my concern about off campus housing. My son is a sophomore and hopes to be an RA in the fall because we feel campus housing works best for him. He doesn’t really know anyone he would want to share an apartment with and if he moved in with strangers it would be risky.
When I moved off campus for my last two years the apartment I got was rented on a per room basis with you being able to pick your roommate or you could have them help you find a roommate based on shared interests. It was so nice to not worry about a roommate not paying their rent. Plus the keys were electronic keys programmed to your room and the front door so it made me feel safer.

When I moved off campus for my last two years the apartment I got was rented on a per room basis with you being able to pick your roommate or you could have them help you find a roommate based on shared interests. It was so nice to not worry about a roommate not paying their rent. Plus the keys were electronic keys programmed to your room and the front door so it made me feel safer.
That sounds awesome! My sons school has on campus apartments where 4 share an apartment but each has their own room and bathroom. They share a full kitchen and living room area. I told him maybe his fall senior semester he could go for one of those. That spring he will be away at an internship. I figure he can spend a few months learning to cook for himself. They are nearly a thousand dollars more per semester than the simple suite he lives in now.

I agree with you about jobs for college kids. It’s realky easier said than done. My son worked last summer at an outdoor concert venue, which was perfect. It was easy because you could mark the events you were available to work, so he didn’t have to worry about asking off for our vacation or his week where he volunteered at 4H camp. He just didn’t check those shows that were scheduled those dates. However he didn’t get as many hours as he would have liked because people with seniority got first dibs. But he made about $1000. He is considering working 2 jobs this summer.

He applied to work at meijer over the winter break but by the time they scheduled his orientation the company cut hours and they ended up not hiring him. By then it was a little late to look for something else. Gone are the days where they call you in for an interview and then ask if you can start tomorrow. It takes forever to process applicants to bring them on to work.

My DD has been lucky because she started at sonic when she was 15 and they still allow her to work when she comes home for school breaks or summer, or even if she needs cash she will come in for the weekend a pick up a couple shifts. I think that starting in HS is key to having a job you can do in college. I didn't allow her to work during the school year when she was a college freshman b/c it was such an adjustment period, but this year she started babysitting some school age kids from 3-5pm mon-fri. It was perfect because they did their homework and she did hers....and got paid. Then she supplements with sonic when she is home.

as costs of medical expenses rise, medical conditions rise (for instance I remember when I was a kid in the '90s/early 2000s knowing someone with cancer was very very rare)

it may have been rare for you as a child to know of someone b/c there was till a huge stigma around talking about it. i was born in '61 and like many of my age always referred to it as 'the c word'. it was something people just didn't share out loud, often referring to an illness/even death directly from it as just 'she/he got sick' or attributing the death to a secondary cause of the cancer like 'his heart went, her lungs gave out', and that's been a detriment to future generations. a family member by marriage was diagnosed in her mid 20's with a form of breast cancer. the oncologist asked about family history and she/her mom could not report a single family member they knew of. the oncologist commented that it was exceedingly rare for just one case to crop up, esp. at such a young age so when her treatments were successfully completed they decided to do a little digging into it. found out that a number of family members dating back several generations (aunts/great aunts-breast, uncles/grands/great grands-other varieties) had actually died of cancer but even their own kids/siblings didn't know b/c when they got ill they were just told 'x is sick' and never had any reason to look at death certificates. it created a mad race among the females of that family to get testing which resulted in a number of early diagnosis. when my dad died of lung cancer in 1981 the newspapers didn't say someone passed of cancer, the obits always read 'passed following a long illness'. the only clue might be if someone wanted donations to a cancer charity in lieu of flowers. people HONESTLY had the mindset that it was a communicable disease and people were afraid of the stigma and avoidance.

as far as cancer rates rising-

the death rate from cancer in the US has declined steadily over the past 2 decades, according to annual statistics reporting from the american cancer society. the cancer death rate for men and women combined fell 25% from its peak in 1991 to 2014, the most recent year for which data are available. the american cancer society reports that during the most recent decade of available data, the rate of new cancer diagnoses decreased by about 2% per year in men and stayed about the same in women. the cancer death rate declined by about 1.5% annually in both men and women.

rates for some forms may have increased a bit but not tremendously, and i've not seen anything to point to medical costs causing it. the reasoning i've seen attributed is b/c (1) we live a lot longer, our mitochondria are getting weaker as we age and this can trigger mutations that lead to cancer, and (2) the techniques for diagnosing cancer early have improved so we have more diagnosis (example-for prostate cancer there has been a huge increase that was made possible by the PSA blood test).

Last edited:
My DD has been lucky because she started at sonic when she was 15 and they still allow her to work when she comes home for school breaks or summer, or even if she needs cash she will come in for the weekend a pick up a couple shifts. I think that starting in HS is key to having a job you can do in college. I didn't allow her to work during the school year when she was a college freshman b/c it was such an adjustment period, but this year she started babysitting some school age kids from 3-5pm mon-fri. It was perfect because they did their homework and she did hers....and got paid. Then she supplements with sonic when she is home.
My son worked at a company that did research via phone surveys. It paid really good for what it was and he could do homework while the auto dialer did it’s thing waiting for someone to pick up. He hated it. As things got crazy busy his senior year he quit. He was doing cross country, indoor track and bowling, outdoor track and senior class play. No way in the world he could have worked. So that job was behind him. Then this past summer, as I said, he worked the concerts. A lot of kids work at Amazon during holidays but they live around here so can start sooner. One of his friends played Santa this past holiday season but my son isn’t built for that! Haha!

Last edited:
it may have been rare for you as a child to know of someone b/c there was till a huge stigma around talking about it. i was born in '61 and like many of my age always referred to it as 'the c word'. it was something people just didn't share out loud, often referring to an illness/even death directly from it as just 'she/he got sick' or attributing the death to a secondary cause of the cancer like 'his heart went, her lungs gave out', and that's been a detriment to future generations. a family member by marriage was diagnosed in her mid 20's with a form of breast cancer. the oncologist asked about family history and she/her mom could not report a single family member they knew of. the oncologist commented that it was exceedingly rare for just one case to crop up, esp. at such a young age so when her treatments were successfully completed they decided to do a little digging into it. found out that a number of family members dating back several generations (aunts/great aunts-breast, uncles/grands/great grands-other varieties) had actually died of cancer but even their own kids/siblings didn't know b/c when they got ill they were just told 'x is sick' and never had any reason to look at death certificates. it created a mad race among the females of that family to get testing which resulted in a number of early diagnosis. when my dad died of lung cancer in 1981 the newspapers didn't say someone passed of cancer, the obits always read 'passed following a long illness'. the only clue might be if someone wanted donations to a cancer charity in lieu of flowers. people HONESTLY had the mindset that it was a communicable disease and people were afraid of the stigma and avoidance.

as far as cancer rates rising-

the death rate from cancer in the US has declined steadily over the past 2 decades, according to annual statistics reporting from the american cancer society. the cancer death rate for men and women combined fell 25% from its peak in 1991 to 2014, the most recent year for which data are available. the american cancer society reports that during the most recent decade of available data, the rate of new cancer diagnoses decreased by about 2% per year in men and stayed about the same in women. the cancer death rate declined by about 1.5% annually in both men and women.

rates for some forms may have increased a bit but not tremendously, and i've not seen anything to point to medical costs causing it. the reasoning i've seen attributed is b/c (1) we live a lot longer, our mitochondria are getting weaker as we age and this can trigger mutations that lead to cancer, and (2) the techniques for diagnosing cancer early have improved so we have more diagnosis (example-for prostate cancer there has been a huge increase that was made possible by the PSA blood test).
That could have been the case, hard to say honestly but it's def. possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter