The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Thank you to everyone who has put so much great info on this thread. I apologize if I missed the answer to this question.

We are flying in on 3/18 and staying at the Hyatt at MCO before checking into to Riviera on 3/19. Our plan is to leave MCO early and head straight to AK until we can get into our room. My question is this.. can I purchase an ILL for FoP at 7AM or will I have to wait until park open (9AM as of now) since we won't have checked in yet.

Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who has put so much great info on this thread. I apologize if I missed the answer to this question.

We are flying in on 3/18 and staying at the Hyatt at MCO before checking into to Riviera on 3/19. Our plan is to leave MCO early and head straight to AK until we can get into our room. My question is this.. can I purchase an ILL for FoP at 7AM or will I have to wait until park open (9AM as of now) since we won't have checked in yet.

Thanks!
You will be allowed to purchase it at 7AM as you are checking into a Disney resort that day.

The 7:10-7:15 am time range. My theory is that 7am bookings are held for 10 minutes until the booking is completed, and some of them don't get completed (for whatever reason).

To second this, I would start checking about 7:08 because some times do seem to pop up about then on some days. But 7:10 or very shortly after is when a lot of times have appeared on every day that I have tried it, both at home and onsite. And those times are usually available for a few minutes as compared to the initial crush at 7 when they’re typically gone within a minute.

As a live example, on the Sunday of the Marathon I wanted to get the earliest time possible for Slinky because I expected two of my daughters to be running through the park around 10:30 and I wanted to be there to see them.

I tried to book a time at the stroke of 7 from the Springs bus stop at SSR but when I hit the tip board the app froze and I had to close and restart it. In the 15 seconds or so that took the return times were out into the afternoon and of no use to me because we were going to MK after the marathon.

On the bus on the way to DHS I kept refreshing starting at about 7:08 and was able to snag a return time of 9:10. Armed with that I was able to do TOT (RNRC was down), TSMM, SDD, MFSR (single rider), and Star Tours before getting over to the marathon course on Sunset before 10:30.

In everyone's opinion, is genie+ worth the cost or should I just use lightning lane?

So much depends on exactly how you would use Genie+ and how much dollar value you put on being able to avoid standing in lines.

I have found Genie+ to be totally worth the cost, especially when combined with early entry, IALL, and park hopping. It shouldn’t be difficult to save waits of 30 minutes or longer (and sometimes significantly longer) on at least 3 attractions in a day. Especially at MK it Isn’t hard to get more than 3 useful LL reservations with Genie+.

I do think it makes sense to purchase Genie+ on a daily basis instead of adding it to a ticket unless you are sure you will need to use it every day. The value of Genie+ seems to be a lot lower if Epcot or DAK will be your only park of the day, and may not not be worth it on every day of a longer trip.

Just one person’s opinion.

If anyone is there now (or recently), have you still been prompted to enter a security code when using G+ or ILL? When we were there last November, I remember having to enter the security code sent to my email address, multiple times.

The reason I ask, is that I want to help a friend later this month book some of her 7am rides. However, I won't have access to her email address, so if I am prompted to enter a security code when booking G+ or ILL, I'm out of luck. Have you found that this security code issue is ONLY with G+ or ONLY with ILL, then maybe I could book the ride that doesn't require the email code. TIA!!

To second this, I would start checking about 7:08 because some times do seem to pop up about then on some days. But 7:10 or very shortly after is when a lot of times have appeared on every day that I have tried it, both at home and onsite. And those times are usually available for a few minutes as compared to the initial crush at 7 when they’re typically gone within a minute.

As a live example, on the Sunday of the Marathon I wanted to get the earliest time possible for Slinky because I expected two of my daughters to be running through the park around 10:30 and I wanted to be there to see them.

I tried to book a time at the stroke of 7 from the Springs bus stop at SSR but when I hit the tip board the app froze and I had to close and restart it. In the 15 seconds or so that took the return times were out into the afternoon and of no use to me because we were going to MK after the marathon.

On the bus on the way to DHS I kept refreshing starting at about 7:08 and was able to snag a return time of 9:10. Armed with that I was able to do TOT (RNRC was down), TSMM, SDD, MFSR (single rider), and Star Tours before getting over to the marathon course on Sunset before 10:30.
With how this works, would you wait until 7:08am to book an early G+ for SDD or would you still plan on 7am try to get the earliest G+ time. I think we'll want to ride this pretty early and I know you're out of luck once you book.

Is there anyway to choose an available time or do you just have to book the time available at the time you check genie plus?

You can't pick and choose for a later time. You can only pick what time it is showing you right now
That’s what I thought. I just don’t understand how this is working for ppl when it’s crowded? I’ve tried it on 3 different trips with the strategies. I finally stopped paying for it. I usually can only get like maybe 2-3 rides in before times are way later in the day. So then I am just waiting around for my lightening lane time. Am I missing something? Have ppl had success during busy times?

If anyone is there now (or recently), have you still been prompted to enter a security code when using G+ or ILL? When we were there last November, I remember having to enter the security code sent to my email address, multiple times.

The reason I ask, is that I want to help a friend later this month book some of her 7am rides. However, I won't have access to her email address, so if I am prompted to enter a security code when booking G+ or ILL, I'm out of luck. Have you found that this security code issue is ONLY with G+ or ONLY with ILL, then maybe I could book the ride that doesn't require the email code. TIA!!

I just returned from a trip and I was not asked once for a security code. In November I was asked for one a couple of times. When it happened it seemed to be when I was doing something that involved a payment, like purchasing Genie+, an IALL reservation, or a mobile food order, but not making a Genie+ reservation after Genie+ was purchased for the day. Others have reported being asked even when no payment was involved.

If you have a choice I would concentrate on things that don’t require a new payment, like making a G+ reservation for Slinky, as opposed to buying an IALL for Rise of the Resistance.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJK
With how this works, would you wait until 7:08am to book an early G+ for SDD or would you still plan on 7am try to get the earliest G+ time. I think we'll want to ride this pretty early and I know you're out of luck once you book.

if you wanted the earliest time, I would try at 7:00:00 and see if you can land something. The times that come up at 7:10 or so sometimes include very early times, but those can disappear pretty quickly. I was lucky enough to snag a 9:10 return at 7:10, but I wouldn‘t bet on being able to repeat that every day.

I would suggest that you decide in advance how late is too late for you and take whatever you can get before that. I look at the 7:10 times as a second chance if you couldn’t get an acceptable time (or any time at all) right at 7.

For anyone looking for a late morning, afternoon, or evening time those should be pretty easy to get at 7:10 as long as things continue the way they have been.

l'm not sure if this was discussed. I thought you could buy Genie + ahead of time, but when I tried I could only buy today, not for my trip next week. TIA

For ILL purchases do you always have to enter the credit card/gift card info or is your stored card for online checkin at the resort an option to quickly click on to pay?

For ILL purchases do you always have to enter the credit card/gift card info or is your stored card for online checkin at the resort an option to quickly click on to pay?
This morning when buying an ILL$ I had options for entering GC or rewards card, Apple Pay, a different CC, or the default card that’s linked to my MDE account. Lots of choices, obviously the MDE default CC was easy.

The thing I notice on it, when going to buy something, is that it will ask for your password to log in again that first time. Make sure to have that ready or you will lose time and maybe the slot you want.
We didn't use it much this trip, mainly because my wife has DAS, but we did buy ILL$ for FoP and MMRR just to make sure we got them at the time we wanted and intermixed DAS return times so we get things done quickly and she can come back to rest in the afternoon.
I notice that RotR disappears quickly, while FoP is much more available, even after park entry but certainly later in the day. We still have afternoon slots open mid-day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter