The Beatles,Elvis and ...............TAYLOR!?

I don't know a single Taylor Swift song. Wouldn't even recognize if it's her singing.
I wouldn't either if I didn't have an 18 year old niece who has been a fan since she was around 6-7 years old....whenever "Red" came out and she got hooked on the song "We are never ever getting back together".....and then the next album with Blank Space, etc. My niece's musical interests have widened since then, but she's still a big Taylor fan. One of the nice things about having a niece this age is she does introduce me to music that I wouldn't go out of my way to find and then end up loving....like Doja Cat, Dua Lipa and Lana del Ray (love her!!).

Yes. Last year when her new album came out, she owned all 10 of the top spots on the Billboard Top 100. The album's deep cuts were more popular than any other artist's singles. And that doesn't even take into account social media, which in fairness The Beatles weren't able to take advantage of. But if you claim that everyone knew the Beatles as they were releasing music, then I can easily claim the same for Taylor based on the numbers.

I'm not even a big Taylor fan, but her music is everywhere.
If you're on Tik Tok or Instagram you really can't escape some of her music. Who hasn't heard "It's me, hi, I'm the problem, it's me" or "Horrified looks from everyone in the room..." on dozens of different videos?

This. Elvis and the Beatles both debuted before I was born and peaked when I was a toddler. Yet even today I could sing half a dozen of each of their songs word-for-word and my young adult son probably could too, without any of us ever having owned any of their albums. I personally couldn’t recognize a single TS song.

I don't know a single Taylor Swift song. Wouldn't even recognize if it's her singing.

There are probably lots of TS songs you’ve heard, you just don’t realize it.
My daughter has lots of her songs on her playlist. I often say, oh, I like this song, who sings it. It’s almost always TS. Lol. I don’t find she has a very distinguishable voice for as popular as she is.

There are probably lots of TS songs you’ve heard, you just don’t realize it.
My daughter has lots of her songs on her playlist. I often say, oh, I like this song, who sings it. It’s almost always TS. Lol. I don’t find she has a very distinguishable voice for as popular as she is.
Oh I'm sure I have heard her a thousand times but I can't name a song. Or I wouldn't be able to say with any certainly that is her singing.

That's just a rip-off. It's like a status thing with teenyboppers - "I got tickets, did you?"

Big question for all - is Taylor Swift a big hit with multiple generations right now, or just the junior high crowd? Is it mostly females, or are there equal numbers of males in the audience? The Beatles appeal to a broad range of people, but I'm thinking she doesn't.
She definitely has fans across multiple generations …the teen crowd probably isn’t even her largest demographic.

I haven't read the whole thread but let's not forget that the Beatles and Elvis were men working in a man's industry (music). Swift has singlehandedly taken on the industry and won as woman. That is very impressive. She should be an inspiration to young girls everywhere. And on top of that, I'm teaching a college course on Swift next Fall due to popular demand.

This. Elvis and the Beatles both debuted before I was born and peaked when I was a toddler. Yet even today I could sing half a dozen of each of their songs word-for-word and my young adult son probably could too, without any of us ever having owned any of their albums. I personally couldn’t recognize a single TS song.

I’m in my mid 60s, born in the late 50s. My parents, who were in their early to mid 30s in the 60s, knew of Elvis but were not fans. They never played his music, never bought an album. The only time they ever saw the Beatles was if they were on a variety TV show they were watching. And they did not care for what they heard or looked like. It’s not a bit surprising to me that someone I assume is in their 50s doesn’t know any TS songs. Just as my parents would never have recognized any Beatles songs, right up to their deaths at 85 & 89.

Some of these posts sound like my grandparents bemoaning the music of my youth as "trash" and not real music. Now Frank Sinatra...there's an artist and a real musician! 🤣

Exactly what I was thinking. :thumbsup2 Many people who were older than Elvis or the Beatles were not fans, either in the 60s or in the decades since. My kids are in their 30s & 40s, as are my 10 nieces & nephews. None of them would consider themselves Beatles fans & certainly not Elvis fans. Some of them might not be able to name any Beatles or Elvis songs. But they all know Taylor. I think that points to the generational aspect of the popularity of musicians. Doesn’t reflect on the musicians talents at all.

Elvis and The Beatles had mobs of teen girls after them in the early days. Obviously it’s not like that for Taylor, but she does have male fans. Plus, she also has big Swiftie dad fans who take their daughters to the concerts. Lol.
That is so true. I have a tough LEO buddy of mine who took his older daughters to her concert and posted on FB that it was most amazing concert he has ever been to.

Most first thought was, Dude, why would you admit that?! Then I got to thinking, that was a pretty cool post. 🫶
(did I nail the emoji?)

If you don't know Shake It Off, I have to wonder where you were in the year 2014-15. :D
Honestly I don’t know. I mostly listen to retro music or talk radio, I’m not a big music person,
Maybe I’ve heard it but the song title means nothing to me. Drawing a total blank .

That is so true. I have a tough LEO buddy of mine who took his older daughters to her concert and posted on FB that it was most amazing concert he has ever been to.
That seems to be the consensus of all the parents who end up seeing the concert. They love it! And she gets new fans. Brainwashed into her cult. Lol.
Most first thought was, Dude, why would you admit that?! Then I got to thinking, that was a pretty cool post. 🫶
(did I nail the emoji?)
Nailed it. :thumbsup2
You’re on your way to being a Swifty. :hyper:

Had this discussion in my house today, too. Told DD that, based on this thread, I must HAVE to know some Taylor Swift songs. :confused3 So she played some for me, and I didn’t!

I am on Instagram (not TikTok) but I often keep the sound off *. Generally when I listen to music I play it off my Spotify playlists so I just don’t have an opportunity to hear her music, or much new music for that matter. (I love what I like!)

Neither of my twenty-somethings is a TS fan, but they do like some of the other artists mentioned here - Dua Lipa, Brett Eldredge, country music, etc. Some of their friends are absolutely bonkers for TS, though.

When DD was a teen she was, along with many other young people of her era, a huge fan of One Direction. I even chaperoned some concerts and got to like them myself, too. My 30-something niece has been a huge fan of the band Hanson since she was young, and other boy bands. She also liked 1D and went to see both Harry Styles and Ed Sheeran not too long ago (Moms’ night out - I should ask her if she is a TS fan!)

Many of the boy bands were pretty big. (Of course not nearly as big as TS, but just sayin’. )

A lot of it really is generational and a matter of exposure. If you’re around the music, of course you’ll pick it up. My DH grew up working overnights in a bakery with older men and mostly they listened to talk radio. So when I met him, DH knew mostly old stuff like Mack the Knife and Elvis tunes that some of the old guys listened to.

I am a Beatles fan but Elvis was a bit before my time (though DH is a fan and we tease him about it; I have a great picture of him wearing Elvis glasses that he won at a singalong night 😳). I was born in the 60s with an older brother and sister who were into Rock and Pop, respectively, so that’s where much of my exposure was then, and of course myself, growing up in the 70s, for many years there my friends and I always had the radio and 8 tracks going. Life got busy for me in the 80s and 90s and beyond, so I stuck with my tried and true for the most part.

My parents music was swing era (40s) and show tunes. One aunt and uncle were into polka music (like Biergarten!).

So good for TS, it seems like she’s a really good songwriter and performer - more power to her. I think if I knew her music I would probably like it (as long as I can understand what she’s saying). I will have to give it a listen one of these days! Do people post many of her songs her on the song threads? (Or is that a loaded question, lol.)

Everyone here has their own story about their music history. Personally I really loved @BlueStarryHat’s story when she told it once before, with her Dad. :lovestruc

* I keep the sound off on my IG because we have shift workers in our house and usually someone’s sleeping and they wake up easily even with low sounds. Figured I’d get asked why so just answering. 🤓

Maybe but what about the 70's,80's ,90's, 00's
I mean there were top music acts then too but they are not Elvis or Beatles.

Beatles music has lasted. My daughter listens to The Stones, Beatles, Bowie, Elton and very few others, along with current music. She listens to those because they are jut so memorable and have not aged.(IMO).
I like some Taylor Swift songs but could only sing you about two from memory. So she might last like them and some others but my guess is not as big cause the music itself might not be as memorable as those artists.
I guess Elton is the 70's star that belongs with other two.

Last edited:
Music has kind of changed. There just don't seem to be as much opportunity for young artists. There are not enough venues anymore, in part COVID, but even before that there are just not as many venues for new artists anymore aside from Country IMO. It seems like bar/club scene for live music/artist is still there for country. I don't really see it for this rock/pop bands. Many of the up and coming successful stars are coming from exposure in other areas(social media/ Disney / Nick). These are the artist getting the best music writers working with them, so if anything they probably pull the song down rather than making the song stronger.
You see more famous DJs coming out of bar scene than artists.

I am guessing but maybe about 40% of the top artists right now came from television, talent type show or social media.
Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus, Sabrina Carpenter, Demi Lovato, Olivia Rodrigo, Drake Justin Timberlake, Brtinany Spears.
And that off the top of an old guys head.
It makes me think though not knocking them its highly doubtful that they are the best most talented musicians and vocalists. Its just there no way/where to find those anymore. That can't be good for the work. I don't think they are finding to many acts the old ways, like Ella singing in an amateur night at the Apollo.
They are pulling popular musicians off social media, but more than not those have the best autotunning, track systems, sound equipment and marketing bands aren't being discovered cause they blew the doors open at the Cave in Liverpool.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter