Tentatively Considering ABD...

EpcotFan59

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

My family has decided to embark on a trip to Iceland in 2026. We have never been out of the country before, except for a few hours in the Bahamas on our most recent Disney Cruise, which is an entirely different ballgame. This is a lifelong dream of my mother's, however, all three of us work demanding, full-time jobs, and while I can plan a Disney trip with ease, planning an international trip feels overwhelming at best. My mother is not a Disney fan like my father and I, but she does like the current Iceland ABD itinerary, and is not opposed to booking it should something similar be offered in 2026. While I think we're capable of planning this trip on our own, I think we all like the idea of traveling with a tour company for our first major overseas experience, thus the appeal of ABD. We also haven't really found any alternative companies that offer a strong Iceland itinerary (though we are open to suggestions!)

1: My family's main concern is that there is not a strong guarantee that the trip is a for-sure thing if we book. My mother especially is concerned about investing time, money, and energy into this trip, for it to be cancelled with...not a lot of time left before our planned vacation dates to then essentially re-do the trip by ourselves. This is the main caveat to my mom agreeing to go, especially if we book airfare and then are left without a trip to go on!

2: We border on mid to upper middle class, and are decidedly not wealthy. This trip would be a big financial investment for us, thus the 2026 goal date. My family is pretty simple in our likes, dress, and tastes, and don't want to feel like we don't "fit in" with regular ABDers should that be the case. I am a former CM and know several people who have attended ABD trips, and while all loved them, a few of my former coworkers did say they felt ostracized from some of their traveling companions.

I appreciate any advice and insight, thank you!

While it is true that ABD occasionally cancels trips, ABD has an air concierge desk where if you book airfare through them then if ABD cancels the trip the cost of the trip and airfare are fully refunded. The cost of airfare through the concierge desk is competitive with what you could get elsewhere. The only downside to use their desk is that they require all travel through a single airline or its partners, so if you have connections, you can't mix and match the lowest individual fares (but you get greater assurance that you and your bags arrive together.)

As to your second concern, with any group travel you encounter people from different walks of life. For many, the ABD trip they are on is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. In my experience, families with like-aged kids tend to aggregate together, introverts and extroverts tend to find their tribes, but never have I seen people segregate based on affluence/economics. And there seems to be an unwritten rule (as with family get togethers) to leave the discussion of politics/religion for another place and time.

Can't speak to how common it is for the Iceland trip to be cancelled due to low participant counts. One thing that may impact reservations is the current volcanic activity in Iceland and its impact on things like the Blue Lagoon, etc.

On your second concern - I'm sorry that your friends didn't have a good experience.

While ABD trips aren't cheap, they are also not the most expensive offerings out there. And other than the around the world trip (I'm assuming, given the price tag), more "normal middle class" people can afford an ABD (even if that means saving for the trip of a lifetime). As such, you should expect to see a wide spectrum of economic levels on an ABD.

Group travel dynamics are interesting. I'd agree with what PP said. I'd also add a few thoughts:

* People who are traveling as a group (like extended families or two families traveling together, etc.) - they are less likely to open to others. They already have their "group" so to speak.
* People at the same stages of life also seem to drift together. (Just like in other situations.)
* Some people are just nicer than others or more outgoing and willing to meet new people - just as in any group.
* If you already have your "group" (and as a party of 3, you do), then you would mainly be chatting with other people on the bus (and may not need to there, depending on how many people are on the tour), at group meals, and a little while touring.
* You will like some of the people in your group better than others (and likely vice versa). But again - if a person at your table one meal was not your cup of tea - no big loss.
* People tend to find introverts as unfriendly or mean - I caution people to consider how they react to introverts, or that the introverts aren't being mean, just being themselves. (My DH and both DDs are introverts.)

As far as fitting in due to dress - people on ABDs are tourists and pretty much dress like tourists. (I mean, you might as well be comfortable when you are out and about, it isn't like a group following a person with a sign doesn't already scream tourist.) And in Iceland, you will be wearing things for outside/chilly/wet activities. (And I do hear you on this one. My 55 year old DH is a t-shirt and shorts all the time person, and those shorts are cargo shorts. That is who he is. Yes, sometimes people (and I'm not talking ABD people, but people in general) look down on him/us because of it. I'm not changing him (I save my battles on his wardrobe for things that matter, like weddings, etc.) and if people judge us, then I can just spend my money elsewhere or at least know that we are comfortable and having fun. I don't have to impress other people.)

Tastes - not sure if you are getting to food/restaurants. However, on my ABD in Italy - when we had on our own meals, the adventure guides were great at helping you find a place. For some on our trip, this meant reservations and dressing up and going to swanky places. (See above, not our style.) For us, that meant good food, but more relaxed. The guides were fine with you doing you.

I'd also be interested in what SayHello has to say on this point. As a solo traveler - she'd have a different view of group dynamics, etc.

I've not done the Iceland ABD, but have been to Iceland several times, and have done group tours with a few other companies. On the question of ABD vs another company, one item I'd look at is group size. I much prefer to travel in smaller groups, 25 max and preferable under 15. Larger groups means everything just takes longer- bathroom stops, meals, etc, and that ultimately, you end up finding a sub-group you're friendly with and maybe not even ever talking/meeting some of the folks in your group.

All things being equal, I'd pick a smaller group size.

As for other tour companies, I do think there is a tendency for travelers to be "of a like." Luxury tours seem to attract different folks than educational bent tours. I'm a physician and see enough entitlement in my peers that I tend towards mid-level educational tours. My travel dollar goes further and there seems to less griping about disatisfactions (not related specifically to ABD here, so no-one take offense.) Also, I don't shop and don't want tours that build in a stop at "the pearl and silk factory" etc.

Nat Geo and G Adventures both have a few different Iceland itineraries. There are also some very good Icelandic companies that do week long group tours - Troll and Arctic Adventures are two that are frequently mentioned on the TripAdvisor board with good reputations.

Iceland is amazing and is a great introduction to overseas travel. It's beautiful, most folks under 40 speak English, it's clean, there's great wifi everywhere (more of a plus when DIY traveling admittedly), it's not hot even in summer. I'm hoping to be back there next summer to hike the highlands and finally get to the Westfjords.

While it is true that ABD occasionally cancels trips, ABD has an air concierge desk where if you book airfare through them then if ABD cancels the trip the cost of the trip and airfare are fully refunded. The cost of airfare through the concierge desk is competitive with what you could get elsewhere. The only downside to use their desk is that they require all travel through a single airline or its partners, so if you have connections, you can't mix and match the lowest individual fares (but you get greater assurance that you and your bags arrive together.)

As to your second concern, with any group travel you encounter people from different walks of life. For many, the ABD trip they are on is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. In my experience, families with like-aged kids tend to aggregate together, introverts and extroverts tend to find their tribes, but never have I seen people segregate based on affluence/economics. And there seems to be an unwritten rule (as with family get togethers) to leave the discussion of politics/religion for another place and time.
Hi all,

My family has decided to embark on a trip to Iceland in 2026. We have never been out of the country before, except for a few hours in the Bahamas on our most recent Disney Cruise, which is an entirely different ballgame. This is a lifelong dream of my mother's, however, all three of us work demanding, full-time jobs, and while I can plan a Disney trip with ease, planning an international trip feels overwhelming at best. My mother is not a Disney fan like my father and I, but she does like the current Iceland ABD itinerary, and is not opposed to booking it should something similar be offered in 2026. While I think we're capable of planning this trip on our own, I think we all like the idea of traveling with a tour company for our first major overseas experience, thus the appeal of ABD. We also haven't really found any alternative companies that offer a strong Iceland itinerary (though we are open to suggestions!)

1: My family's main concern is that there is not a strong guarantee that the trip is a for-sure thing if we book. My mother especially is concerned about investing time, money, and energy into this trip, for it to be cancelled with...not a lot of time left before our planned vacation dates to then essentially re-do the trip by ourselves. This is the main caveat to my mom agreeing to go, especially if we book airfare and then are left without a trip to go on!

2: We border on mid to upper middle class, and are decidedly not wealthy. This trip would be a big financial investment for us, thus the 2026 goal date. My family is pretty simple in our likes, dress, and tastes, and don't want to feel like we don't "fit in" with regular ABDers should that be the case. I am a former CM and know several people who have attended ABD trips, and while all loved them, a few of my former coworkers did say they felt ostracized from some of their traveling companions.

As an European person I Say " Go For It " And Forget the

Begrudgers and get on with planning.

Passports . Health Insurance Top up Credit cards ( Chip & Pin .. Type )

Other Travelers on the trip........ You May Never see them again on return

so why worry about what they think.

Can't speak to how common it is for the Iceland trip to be cancelled due to low participant counts. One thing that may impact reservations is the current volcanic activity in Iceland and its impact on things like the Blue Lagoon, etc.
I personally haven't heard of an Iceland trip being cancelled, but it is, of course, possible for any ABD to be cancelled. It is a big downside of ABD. I had a sold out Portugal trip suddenly cancelled, so I totally understand. ABD will definitely work with you to reschedule to a different departure date if you want to, or will refund your trip if that isn't an option. I would definitely check with ABD on the current specifics of how they handle airfare refunds before counting on that, as that does seem to differ a bit based on the circumstances. And know that trip insurance will not help you in the case of a cancellation unless the company declares bankruptcy. They expect the company to make you whole.

As for the current volcanic activity, that is, unfortunately, always a consideration with Iceland, and the OP is talking about 2026, which is really too far out to let the current activity influence a decision.

On your second concern - I'm sorry that your friends didn't have a good experience.

While ABD trips aren't cheap, they are also not the most expensive offerings out there. And other than the around the world trip (I'm assuming, given the price tag), more "normal middle class" people can afford an ABD (even if that means saving for the trip of a lifetime). As such, you should expect to see a wide spectrum of economic levels on an ABD.
Honestly with only a few exceptions (one particular couple who'd never done an ABD who were obviously very wealthy, and had their TA book them on the trip without really knowing what it was. - They were lovely people, though, and it wasn't really an issue) I can't say that I've really been aware of the economic status of most of the people I've traveled with. Travel can be a great equalizer. With the exception of the boat-based trips, everyone gets the same category of room, travels on the same motorcoach, gets the same meals, etc. Just my experience. It's interesting that the OP friends felt they had an issue. Most people on the ABDs I've been on have dressed for comfort - shorts, T-shirts, leggings, performance tops, etc.

* People tend to find introverts as unfriendly or mean - I caution people to consider how they react to introverts, or that the introverts aren't being mean, just being themselves. (My DH and both DDs are introverts.)
It's interesting, because on my New Zealand trip, there was another solo traveler, and everyone assumed we'd hang out together, but she was obviously an introvert, and totally not interested in hanging with me (which was perfectly fine for me -- I get it. Her vacation, she's free to hang or not as she sees fit!) And it wasn't just me - she would frequently opt at meals to sit by herself, or outside when the group was inside, etc. Everyone has to do what they re comfortable with! I'm an extrovert (I know, a shocker! :) ) but sometimes I need alone time, too. I tend to use OYO time for that on occasion.

As far as fitting in due to dress - people on ABDs are tourists and pretty much dress like tourists. (I mean, you might as well be comfortable when you are out and about, it isn't like a group following a person with a sign doesn't already scream tourist.) And in Iceland, you will be wearing things for outside/chilly/wet activities. (And I do hear you on this one. My 55 year old DH is a t-shirt and shorts all the time person, and those shorts are cargo shorts. That is who he is. Yes, sometimes people (and I'm not talking ABD people, but people in general) look down on him/us because of it. I'm not changing him (I save my battles on his wardrobe for things that matter, like weddings, etc.) and if people judge us, then I can just spend my money elsewhere or at least know that we are comfortable and having fun. I don't have to impress other people.)
I really don't feel I've ever been judged based on my income. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I don't think it's really prevalent.
I'd also be interested in what SayHello has to say on this point. As a solo traveler - she'd have a different view of group dynamics, etc.
I agree with what you say about the large group thing. There have been a couple of trips I've done that had really large groups, and they did sort of stick to themselves. But again, that's not my overall experience. And Iceland specifically, because of the long bus time, there were people on the trips whose names I never learned, and I certainly never learned their stories. That trip had 39 on it. It's really a LOT, especially for that trip.

In general, I find most groups very welcoming, but I realize at times I'll likely have to eat OYO by myself, but I'm OK with that. Again, it doesn't happen that often.

Not sure if I addressed what you were hoping for! :)

Sayhello

Thank you so much for this insight-I'm relieved to hear there is an option for booking the airfare through ABD, that gives my family and myself some greater peace of mind.

Group travel dynamics are interesting. I'd agree with what PP said. I'd also add a few thoughts:

* People who are traveling as a group (like extended families or two families traveling together, etc.) - they are less likely to open to others. They already have their "group" so to speak.
* People at the same stages of life also seem to drift together. (Just like in other situations.)
* Some people are just nicer than others or more outgoing and willing to meet new people - just as in any group.
* If you already have your "group" (and as a party of 3, you do), then you would mainly be chatting with other people on the bus (and may not need to there, depending on how many people are on the tour), at group meals, and a little while touring.
* You will like some of the people in your group better than others (and likely vice versa). But again - if a person at your table one meal was not your cup of tea - no big loss.

Tastes - not sure if you are getting to food/restaurants. However, on my ABD in Italy - when we had on our own meals, the adventure guides were great at helping you find a place. For some on our trip, this meant reservations and dressing up and going to swanky places. (See above, not our style.) For us, that meant good food, but more relaxed. The guides were fine with you doing you.

Thank you so much for this response-my father is very similar to your DH. He's well-spoken and well-mannered but is wearing a t-shirt and sweats at all hours of the day unless it really requires other attire, so I feel you on that one! We're a fairly extroverted family and are hoping we can find some similarity with future traveling companions.

I've not done the Iceland ABD, but have been to Iceland several times, and have done group tours with a few other companies. On the question of ABD vs another company, one item I'd look at is group size. I much prefer to travel in smaller groups, 25 max and preferable under 15. Larger groups means everything just takes longer- bathroom stops, meals, etc, and that ultimately, you end up finding a sub-group you're friendly with and maybe not even ever talking/meeting some of the folks in your group.

All things being equal, I'd pick a smaller group size.

As for other tour companies, I do think there is a tendency for travelers to be "of a like." Luxury tours seem to attract different folks than educational bent tours. I'm a physician and see enough entitlement in my peers that I tend towards mid-level educational tours. My travel dollar goes further and there seems to less griping about disatisfactions (not related specifically to ABD here, so no-one take offense.) Also, I don't shop and don't want tours that build in a stop at "the pearl and silk factory" etc.

Nat Geo and G Adventures both have a few different Iceland itineraries. There are also some very good Icelandic companies that do week long group tours - Troll and Arctic Adventures are two that are frequently mentioned on the TripAdvisor board with good reputations.

Iceland is amazing and is a great introduction to overseas travel. It's beautiful, most folks under 40 speak English, it's clean, there's great wifi everywhere (more of a plus when DIY traveling admittedly), it's not hot even in summer. I'm hoping to be back there next summer to hike the highlands and finally get to the Westfjords.
Thank you so much for your response-we would more than likely prefer a smaller group size if possible, however we are very familiar with the Disney brand and may prefer that comfort for this trip. But I greatly appreciate your suggestions, and look forward to bringing them into my family's discussion!

I personally haven't heard of an Iceland trip being cancelled, but it is, of course, possible for any ABD to be cancelled. It is a big downside of ABD. I had a sold out Portugal trip suddenly cancelled, so I totally understand. ABD will definitely work with you to reschedule to a different departure date if you want to, or will refund your trip if that isn't an option. I would definitely check with ABD on the current specifics of how they handle airfare refunds before counting on that, as that does seem to differ a bit based on the circumstances. And know that trip insurance will not help you in the case of a cancellation unless the company declares bankruptcy. They expect the company to make you whole.

As for the current volcanic activity, that is, unfortunately, always a consideration with Iceland, and the OP is talking about 2026, which is really too far out to let the current activity influence a decision.

Honestly with only a few exceptions (one particular couple who'd never done an ABD who were obviously very wealthy, and had their TA book them on the trip without really knowing what it was. - They were lovely people, though, and it wasn't really an issue) I can't say that I've really been aware of the economic status of most of the people I've traveled with. Travel can be a great equalizer. With the exception of the boat-based trips, everyone gets the same category of room, travels on the same motorcoach, gets the same meals, etc. Just my experience. It's interesting that the OP friends felt they had an issue. Most people on the ABDs I've been on have dressed for comfort - shorts, T-shirts, leggings, performance tops, etc.

It's interesting, because on my New Zealand trip, there was another solo traveler, and everyone assumed we'd hang out together, but she was obviously an introvert, and totally not interested in hanging with me (which was perfectly fine for me -- I get it. Her vacation, she's free to hang or not as she sees fit!) And it wasn't just me - she would frequently opt at meals to sit by herself, or outside when the group was inside, etc. Everyone has to do what they re comfortable with! I'm an extrovert (I know, a shocker! :) ) but sometimes I need alone time, too. I tend to use OYO time for that on occasion.

I really don't feel I've ever been judged based on my income. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I don't think it's really prevalent.

I agree with what you say about the large group thing. There have been a couple of trips I've done that had really large groups, and they did sort of stick to themselves. But again, that's not my overall experience. And Iceland specifically, because of the long bus time, there were people on the trips whose names I never learned, and I certainly never learned their stories. That trip had 39 on it. It's really a LOT, especially for that trip.

In general, I find most groups very welcoming, but I realize at times I'll likely have to eat OYO by myself, but I'm OK with that. Again, it doesn't happen that often.

Not sure if I addressed what you were hoping for! :)

Sayhello
Thank you so much for your response! Since finding this forum I've been a voracious reader of your past post and comments and I really appreciate your insight on this. The more I read and the responses I've gotten on this thread really do seem to make ABD the frontrunner for us for this trip.

Thank you so much for your response-we would more than likely prefer a smaller group size if possible, however we are very familiar with the Disney brand and may prefer that comfort for this trip. But I greatly appreciate your suggestions, and look forward to bringing them into my family's discussion!
Not saying this approach would work every year or for every departure date, but it might provide some insights for consideration -

You don’t mention a specific month or time of year you might be looking to go. (Full disclosure- I do not work for Disney and never have, but was a data analyst in a prior work life so spent a LOT of time crunching numbers and looking for patterns in data.)

Disney has tons of data on these adventures, both destinations and departure dates. They have historical data to show patterns of when people are likelier to sign up - there will be a certain percentage who sign up on opening days or within the first week or so, then those who sign up around holidays when people are together to plan trips, certain times of year like spring breaks, graduation, summer, or when work vacation times or summer commitments can be confirmed, etc. And those who sign up a certain number of months prior to a departure, because post-Covid people may not be willing to commit as far out as before. And every destination is different- Japan remains insanely popular, Spain and New England are no longer offered. There is a saturation point/smaller pool for adventures as not every Disney travel fan can or wants to do adventure travel.

I suspect Disney also has certain enrollment targets that must be met at certain points, where a departure date is likely to have enough people to be viable to move forward or they can drop/cancel with their various hotel and tour partner operators. For example, with the new Holland-Belgium River trip, it originally had three departures - July, September, and December. After the first 3-4 weeks, with the December departure being the only one still showing discounted cabins in every category, it changed from a defined departure to a “now accepting an interest list”. Another 2-3 weeks go by, and it was removed from the website completely. This tells me, while interest remains high for Danube and Rhine Christmas markets, there is none for Holland and Belgium at this time, so Disney pulled the plug early.

For your Iceland trip, look at Iceland and compare remaining departures listed for 2024 to those now showing for 2025.

Remaining 2024 departures -
1 in June, 2 in July, 1 August, and 2 adult exclusive in September

Look at 2025 - firm open for booking dates, not interest only dates
2 in May with one of them adult exclusive , 2 June, 2 July, 1 August, and 1 September, an adult exclusive. Note the change from 2024, one adult exclusive departure in September compared to 2 for 2024, and the week over 4th of July as “now accepting interest list” vs a defined departure and a later in July date added.

Also for 2025, look at how many departures still show the early booking discount available- all but 3 of them, the two adult only plus August already showing higher enrollment numbers if discounts are no longer offered. People are slower to sign up for Iceland next year, the active volcanos may be a factor as people wait to see when/if it subsides a bit. But, those departures are still Open as of now so those signup patterns could tell Disney the commitment to travel to Iceland comes later.

You can always call Disney and ask how many are signed up for current Departure dates/months for the time of year you might be wanting to go. That might help you guess on which future dates are possibly more viable. And while smaller groups are better than large, larger groups are more likely to not be cancelled except for extenuating circumstances.

Disney seems to be better about cancelling before final payment dates compared to during and just after Covid resumptions, at least based on comments I’ve seen on these boards - once final payment date hits, the trips go unless something too crazy happens. They also seem to be running some departures with smaller numbers than might have happened in the past, again based on comments here, though there is no consensus on what a minimum number might be. I suspect that varies by destination.

So while nothing is ever guaranteed, you can glean some pattern insights that might help with your planning. Maybe too many analytical musings here, but I find it interesting and have fun with it.

Happy travel planning!

To touch on the volcano issue, it is basically a non-issue. While the Blue Lagoon access has been affected, as well as a small town nearby, there has been no other effect on tourism. It's a whole different issue than the volcano that went off 10+ yrs ago, spewed ash and shut down air traffic. The current "eruption" is a magma fissure only, so flowing lava is a risk in the immediate area only. (give or take, I'm no vulcanologist!)

To touch on the volcano issue, it is basically a non-issue. While the Blue Lagoon access has been affected, as well as a small town nearby, there has been no other effect on tourism. It's a whole different issue than the volcano that went off 10+ yrs ago, spewed ash and shut down air traffic. The current "eruption" is a magma fissure only, so flowing lava is a risk in the immediate area only. (give or take, I'm no vulcanologist!)
I can tell you exactly when that series of eruptions was, (late spring/early summer of 2010) because I was to fly to Barcelona for my Med cruise in May 2010 when there was a surge in ashes going on, and it was touch and go whether my flight to Barcelona would make it or not. (Iberia stated if we made it as far as Madrid, they'd get us to Barcelona somehow.) It all ended up fine, but I was sweating it for a while!

Sayhello

A few more points you might want to consider:

First, ABD adjusts the prices of trips based upon demand. Relative to the original announcement date, they increase the popular (high demand) destination/dates combos and sometimes offer discounts or other rebates for undersubscribed dates. There are no guarantees that they will drop any of the prices, but price drops can indicate that there are fewer adventures (than originally forecast) signed up for a particular departure date.

Second, Disney Vacation Club (DVC) members often save up their points and use them to do ABD trips. I am not a DVC member, but I have been told DVC members pay no more than the announcement date prices (subject to availability) even if the demand pricing has caused the price to subsequently go up.

Lastly, if you are a member of Costco, you get a rebate if you book an ABD trip via the Costco travel department. When you call Costco travel, they record that you originally called via that line, but they connect you directly with the ABD vacationistas to do all of the trip planning. Once you take the trip, you get back a Costco gift card on the order of 3%-7% of the trip cost. On a trip like Iceland where the cost could be $9K per person (x2), that could mean getting a $1000 gift card for later purchases at Costco.

Second, Disney Vacation Club (DVC) members often save up their points and use them to do ABD trips. I am not a DVC member, but I have been told DVC members pay no more than the announcement date prices (subject to availability) even if the demand pricing has caused the price to subsequently go up
Yes, this is correct - whether paying with points or cash, it is opening day pricing. I don’t know if all resale contracts would get this benefit, as some more recent resale contracts do not get the same benefits as direct or old resale before the benefit restrictions were introduced.

Hi all,

I'll chime in here. When we did our first ABD trip, Scotland in 2013, this was supposed to be a once in a lifetime trip. I rearranged our entire life, budget etc for all of 2012 just to afford this. ABD was always a "someday, we will do one of these" bucket list goals. Along the way, I discovered travel hacking which explains a number of my subsequent trips. We were in a different place then than we are now economically speaking. But I definitely wondered if I would feel like a fish out of water or judged because we did not fall into the financial demographic that these trip are targeted for back then. I am also an introvert and just have a tendency to push myself to not act like one LOL It was also the first group travel I had ever done. Was I nervous, you bet! I didn't need to be as it turned out. EVERYONE on that trip was wonderful and amazing. We had the best time ever. As we got to know one another, there were absolutely some families that were on the higher end of the income ladder. You would not have known it by their demeanor. It's just when you know someone does XYZ for a living then you know they are likely in a different income bracket. This has been the same all on all of our ABD trips. I have yet to be on an ABD (we just completed number 12 in January) where it seemed like income led to out of pocket behavior by any guest.

Only once have I witnessed seriously out of pocket behavior by an ABD guest and it was on the Knights and Lights trip (England/Paris). One guest that I will describe as a "cougar" was incredibly forward and suggestive to the male ABD guide. He very politely pretended to misunderstand her comments and redirect. It was so noticeable and uncomfortable that I was legit afraid she would give him a negative review after the rebuffs. I wound up writing to ABD to explain what I and the rest of the group witnessed because I did not want the guide to catch heat for anything.

Attire: Mostly everyone is wearing casual travel clothing. Once in a while some folks might change and dress up a little for dinner. Most of the time folks wear what they wore all day and head straight for dinner. No on cares. I think the only time anyone has ever noticed or commented on what DH and I were wearing was on our Japan ABD. That trip I decided to bring matching Disney themed Reyn Spooner shirts and matching Tokyo Disney Sea character shirts. By day 3 the entire bus was waiting to see what we wearing that day and each day afterwards. It became a thing and was fun. If you have seen pics of my previous ABD reports you will notice DH and I are very casual. We usually pack tee shirts, shorts and casual pants. If I try to be "fancy" for a picture or dinner, I will throw a pashmina that I picked up from a street vendor over my tee shirt.

When DH and I travel on an ABD with our friends we do tend to stick to our group but not on purpose. It's just something I have noticed. I think this may be true for most who are traveling as a foursome or more. When it is just the two of us, we wind up sitting with different people at meals. It isn't planned or forced, it just sort works out that way. We have always made new friends and acquaintances on each trip. Some we wind up keeping in touch with and even meet up on future cruises, WDW or plan other trips.

I am so sorry your CM friends have felt that way. I would honestly expect the opposite, so I would hope those were sad exceptions. DH and I are friends with current and former CMs and we travel with some of them frequently. I would expect an ABD group to be delighted by having the people that make the magic on the trip with them. All in all, while there are exceptions to everything and nothing is guaranteed, I would expect an ABD trip to have a very welcoming and inclusive (5th key) vibe. Your guides will set the tone and let you know you will wind up starting as strangers and ending as family. We have been on numerous trips were most of the ABD group were all hugging each other and in tears at the end because no one wanted to leave their new family.

I hope this helps :flower3:

Last edited:
Only once have I witnessed seriously out of pocket behavior by an ABD guest and it was on the Knights and Lights trip (England/Paris). One guest that I will describe as a "cougar" was incredibly forward and suggestive to the male ABD guide. He very politely pretended to misunderstand her comments and redirect. It was so noticeable and uncomfortable that I was legit afraid she would give him a negative review after the rebuffs. I wound up writing to ABD to explain what I and the rest of the group witnessed because I did not want the guide to catch heat for anything.
I find this very interesting! While I've never experienced this on an ABD, the very first adventure trip I did was with Backroads, and there was an older woman who was quite obviously coming on to one of the *very* young Guides. I think he handled it excellently, deflecting her advances and just moving on. She was a bit entitled, and expected the Guides to cater to her, but they didn't. One of the funniest things was our one night at a fancy restaurant (it was a camping trip, and most of the dinners were *delicious* cookouts done by the Guides) she, of course, ordered the *most* expensive - by a lot - item on the menu, the lobster. Everyone else ordered the scallop special, as it sounded delicious. Our amazing scallop dishes showed up, then her lobster meal, which was basically a lump of lobster meat on a dish. You could tell she was disappointed, and wished she'd gotten the scallops like the rest of us, but hey, she'd gotten her expensive meal! But I couldn't tell you if she was affluent or not, just entitled. :)

(Oh, and I'm really glad you wrote your explanation to ABD. Well done!)

Sayhello

I would look at Trafalgar tours if you want an alternative tour company. They have lots of experience doing European tours. I did their European Whirl tour with my mom back in 1996. It was a great experience especially looking back now since I lost my mom ten years after that trip.

I agree with almost everything written above so I won't belabor those points.

The only downside/caveat and now thing that gives me a huge pause when considering ABDs (other than they have stale itineraries for areas I'm interested in traveling)...

*Disclaimer-I've only been on 5 ABDs so compared to some of the more ABD seasoned travelers above, I feel my opinion might hold slightly less weight, lol. Since my last ABD was a while ago-2019 for DH and my "empty nest celebration" :laughing: , I don't know if there are still pins given out for the number of trips prior Adventurers have gone on or not. Anyhoo...this has brought out some bizarrely (to me) low key (or over the top for some) competitive behavior in otherwise one might think rational adults...the bragging rights for the number of prior trips that surround some of the other "adventurers" is sort of (okay, frankly completely) off putting and seems to become a facet of their identities for the entirety of the trip. As I said, I just find it odd and distasteful. I cannot imagine @sayhello @Mathmagicland or @calypso726 strutting around bragging about their "number" but on every single one of my ABDs, it's occurred-which was rather strange. I love travel too but DH and I agree that when we're with another group travel company no one goes to the extent of discussing their prior trips (number, itinerary, etc) as many, many of the prior guests traveling on ABDs. It's become so off putting to us (two DEFINITE introverts who like to live and behave modestly and are not on most of the more social media outlets) that ABD has fallen far down our list of tour company options.

If you can tune out that kind of nonsense or you're fortunate and don't have that sort of foolishness-I'm hoping some people will chime in and say they haven't been subjected to it (hopefully!), then I agree it's a great product overall when you can find a trip that works for you.

Last November we did an ABD; it was one & done for a number of reasons. As for the (too large) group of 28 people, there was a subset of about 8 or 10 thiry-somethings--couples & a few singles--who formed an "exclusive" clique the first day. If anyone else tried to sit with any of them at a meal or approach their group, they totally wouldn't even acknowledge that you were, there yet alone include you in a conversation. A few of them also decided that the trip was a networking opportunity for Disney employment & tried to monopolize one of the guides with questions & private conversation; as well as to take lots of photos of their group. The other folks were nice but no one made much of an effort so we stopped trying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter