Tentatively Considering ABD...

I generally don't travel through tours as I prefer arranging my own travel and setting my own itinerary. We went to Iceland 3 years ago and loved it, so if you decide to go, I hope you enjoy it.

This past April on a trip to Paris, we did a day tour to Mont St. Michel. The tour itself was great, the majority of people were nice, but there was a couple who quite loudly complained about there being so many Asian people on the tour (in derogatory terms no less), why were they there, etc. My husband pointed out that if he was so annoyed that the other people on the tour were listening to the audio portion in their native language on the portable units provided then he was certainly welcome to listen to the tour in his native language too since he had one too. After all, the guy was from the U.S. and made sure everyone knew it.

I agree with almost everything written above so I won't belabor those points.

The only downside/caveat and now thing that gives me a huge pause when considering ABDs (other than they have stale itineraries for areas I'm interested in traveling)...

*Disclaimer-I've only been on 5 ABDs so compared to some of the more ABD seasoned travelers above, I feel my opinion might hold slightly less weight, lol. Since my last ABD was a while ago-2019 for DH and my "empty nest celebration" :laughing: , I don't know if there are still pins given out for the number of trips prior Adventurers have gone on or not. Anyhoo...this has brought out some bizarrely (to me) low key (or over the top for some) competitive behavior in otherwise one might think rational adults...the bragging rights for the number of prior trips that surround some of the other "adventurers" is sort of (okay, frankly completely) off putting and seems to become a facet of their identities for the entirety of the trip. As I said, I just find it odd and distasteful. I cannot imagine @sayhello @Mathmagicland or @calypso726 strutting around bragging about their "number" but on every single one of my ABDs, it's occurred-which was rather strange. I love travel too but DH and I agree that when we're with another group travel company no one goes to the extent of discussing their prior trips (number, itinerary, etc) as many, many of the prior guests traveling on ABDs. It's become so off putting to us (two DEFINITE introverts who like to live and behave modestly and are not on most of the more social media outlets) that ABD has fallen far down our list of tour company options.

If you can tune out that kind of nonsense or you're fortunate and don't have that sort of foolishness-I'm hoping some people will chime in and say they haven't been subjected to it (hopefully!), then I agree it's a great product overall when you can find a trip that works for you.
Post Covid, pins were mailed out before the trip. Recently I heard they are going back to handing out the pins during the trip. I can’t say that I’ve witnessed anything like the number of trips becoming a thing for the whole trip. On the trips where they gave out the pins some guides would ask those who had been on previous ABDs to mention their favorite at the welcome dinner during introductions. Of course anyone who was on their second or more ABD trip would be asked by other guests about their previous adventures or favorite as a point of conversation or wanting to hear the feedback on a different itinerary. I’ve been on trips with guests that were into their high teens and 20 something ABD and I’m sure I asked them what was their favorite or top 3 just like everyone else did. It’s always the same 3 trips they mention too. China, South Africa and the Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia trip.

Post Covid, pins were mailed out before the trip. Recently I heard they are going back to handing out the pins during the trip. I can’t say that I’ve witnessed anything like the number of trips becoming a thing for the whole trip. On the trips where they gave out the pins some guides would ask those who had been on previous ABDs to mention their favorite at the welcome dinner during introductions. Of course anyone who was on their second or more ABD trip would be asked by other guests about their previous adventures or favorite as a point of conversation or wanting to hear the feedback on a different itinerary. I’ve been on trips with guests that were into their high teens and 20 something ABD and I’m sure I asked them what was their favorite or top 3 just like everyone else did. It’s always the same 3 trips they mention too. China, South Africa and the Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia trip.
As far as I know the "number" pins are still being sent out with the boxes, and not given out during the trips like the daily pins. That's just what I've read recently.

I remember Josh D'Amaro was so jazzed & proud of the Insider number pins (he hinted to me that they were introducing them, back when I had my crazy audience with him when I visited ABD in 2012.)

Sayhello

Hi all,

My family has decided to embark on a trip to Iceland in 2026. We have never been out of the country before, except for a few hours in the Bahamas on our most recent Disney Cruise, which is an entirely different ballgame. This is a lifelong dream of my mother's, however, all three of us work demanding, full-time jobs, and while I can plan a Disney trip with ease, planning an international trip feels overwhelming at best. My mother is not a Disney fan like my father and I, but she does like the current Iceland ABD itinerary, and is not opposed to booking it should something similar be offered in 2026. While I think we're capable of planning this trip on our own, I think we all like the idea of traveling with a tour company for our first major overseas experience, thus the appeal of ABD. We also haven't really found any alternative companies that offer a strong Iceland itinerary (though we are open to suggestions!)

1: My family's main concern is that there is not a strong guarantee that the trip is a for-sure thing if we book. My mother especially is concerned about investing time, money, and energy into this trip, for it to be cancelled with...not a lot of time left before our planned vacation dates to then essentially re-do the trip by ourselves. This is the main caveat to my mom agreeing to go, especially if we book airfare and then are left without a trip to go on!

2: We border on mid to upper middle class, and are decidedly not wealthy. This trip would be a big financial investment for us, thus the 2026 goal date. My family is pretty simple in our likes, dress, and tastes, and don't want to feel like we don't "fit in" with regular ABDers should that be the case. I am a former CM and know several people who have attended ABD trips, and while all loved them, a few of my former coworkers did say they felt ostracized from some of their traveling companions.

I appreciate any advice and insight, thank you!

I'll offer the insight I can. My disclaimer is that I've only been on the Southern California trip, which is very heavily Disney-focused and I assume has a different feel to the international trips.

When it comes to the guarantee, there are a few things I can offer. First, AbD is very good about giving refunds and offering to let you switch dates if a trip is cancelled. Most airlines also offer refunds or at least a credit for cancelled flights, so I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll have months' of advance notice if a trip is cancelled. I'm not sure if they still do this, but in the past, you could also ask how many people were on the trip and if it was guaranteed to run with that many while booking.

Most people on my trip were middle class. We had everyone from teachers to doctors to car salesmen to travel agents. I wouldn't consider any of them to be true upper class, mostly the higher half of middle class. When it comes to feeling ostracized, I definitely never felt shunned by anyone on the trip, but sometimes cliques can form based on what people are interested in. Some people are happy just to sit back and observe, others get really into every activity, and people with similar group dynamics are naturally going to stick with each other. I did both trips as a pretty introverted solo traveller, and both times I ended up making great friends and had plenty of people to hang out with during our free time. Any time there's a group of 40 people, there will probably be 1 or 2 you don't gel with, and that's OK.

When it comes to dress and tastes, AbD is pretty casual. The most you'll need on trips is a collared shirt and slacks for dinner, and you'll be good to wear a t-shirt and jeans for all the daytime activities. The only time you'd need more than that are if you're planning to do things on your own. There might be some exceptions to this, but that will be made clear in your guidebook that comes a few weeks before the trip. One thing I've found with "luxury" travel, both with AbD and other companies, is that people who pay for it aren't usually into dressing up every day or being overly proper. They pay money for access, reduced crowds/waits, and service. AbD is not inherently fancy, they just offer a better casual experience than you would get doing things on your own.

Hi all,

My family has decided to embark on a trip to Iceland in 2026. We have never been out of the country before, except for a few hours in the Bahamas on our most recent Disney Cruise, which is an entirely different ballgame. This is a lifelong dream of my mother's, however, all three of us work demanding, full-time jobs, and while I can plan a Disney trip with ease, planning an international trip feels overwhelming at best. My mother is not a Disney fan like my father and I, but she does like the current Iceland ABD itinerary, and is not opposed to booking it should something similar be offered in 2026. While I think we're capable of planning this trip on our own, I think we all like the idea of traveling with a tour company for our first major overseas experience, thus the appeal of ABD. We also haven't really found any alternative companies that offer a strong Iceland itinerary (though we are open to suggestions!)

1: My family's main concern is that there is not a strong guarantee that the trip is a for-sure thing if we book. My mother especially is concerned about investing time, money, and energy into this trip, for it to be cancelled with...not a lot of time left before our planned vacation dates to then essentially re-do the trip by ourselves. This is the main caveat to my mom agreeing to go, especially if we book airfare and then are left without a trip to go on!

2: We border on mid to upper middle class, and are decidedly not wealthy. This trip would be a big financial investment for us, thus the 2026 goal date. My family is pretty simple in our likes, dress, and tastes, and don't want to feel like we don't "fit in" with regular ABDers should that be the case. I am a former CM and know several people who have attended ABD trips, and while all loved them, a few of my former coworkers did say they felt ostracized from some of their traveling companions.

I appreciate any advice and insight, thank you!
We have been lucky so far in that the only tour that was cancelled on us was a river cruise for 2021 that we booked end of January 2020. You can imagine why it was.... I remember the horrible feeling as the PIF date came closer and closer without them admitting we would not be going, but they did eventually do the right thing and cancelled when we still had a little under a month to pay. At the time I was very mad that folk who cancelled of their own accord were not being offered refunds unless they were willing to play the game of chicken. I honestly don't know if they ever made it right or not. Most moved dates so its hard to say what would have been right anyway. That said, we ran into the same issue with a WDW reservation we had for 2020 and while we were able to recoup most of our money, we were not able to recover all of it. It is simply a risk when traveling, and is why many people decide to get trip insurance and do their best to keep upbeat and flexible. Airfare can be included in that if you book it on your own. Iceland is a very expensive place to visit, and depending on the time of year you plan to travel you may find hotels and such booked up. We visited the Westfjords in July last year and even with the luxury of time had a rough time finding affordable accommodations with availability that did not share a bathroom. If Disney cancels on you you'd get your money back, which maybe would lessen the blow... these are not cheap trips so anything OYO you need to put together may be far cheaper in the long run at least! Assuming its a go you really won't be investing much time or energy - that's a large part of why folk book these trips; someone else does that part.

Did you happen to ask why they felt ostracized..? It may not be what you think... We are also middle class and while I will freely admit the same, the reason is usually simple when it happens... we don't have kids. Most of the time it is one of the first things people ask out of habit and the number of times you could hear a pin drop when we say no... :ssst: There are also always a few folk who compare notes about numbers and locations of trips, or talk about them ceaselessly even while ON a trip, but they are a minority and even then they're still lovely people. They just want to talk and we let them. I've yet to run into someone who I ever felt looked down their nose at me, or I couldn't have a nice chat with on the two ABD trips we've been on. We've done tours with other companies as well and I would say the same - everyone is there to have a good time. On an ABD, hey, they probably share a love for Disney too.

The no kids thing - that is probably a special category, particularly on summer trips, where there are so many kids. And people in general seem to be confused by Disney fans without kids (although I know a number).

On my first trip (Rome/Tuscany/Venice) - there were two couples without kids. The first were on their honeymoon. They got the trip as a gift and we feel that whoever booked it, generally didn't understand family group travel. They were a cute younger couple, and they stayed to themselves. The guides tried to make it special for them - like they had their own gondola, etc. But not a lot that the guides could do about bus times with kids being kids... There was also a couple, in their late 50s. They were nice - I talked to them a lot. Everyone else was traveling with a kid or more in toe, ranging from 6 to 22.

Then on the River Cruise - there was this younger couple sitting at the table next to us at dinner for the first half of the trip. They weren't married, in their 20s, just all in all, not the target market of an ABD summer river cruise. So very curious about their story. (She won the trip on a game show.) They found their group (another couple without kids) and hung out with them for most of the trip.

On the # of trips pin thing - I go back and forth about whether I think it is a good idea to do this on trips. I haven't had anyone flaunt it and I do think that it is interesting to chat with people about their past trips, their favorites, etc.

I will say that about 90% of my interactions with fellow ABD travelers have been good. For the other 10%, I'd say that most of those interactions were just people who were hard to talk to (or for whom our time chatting was just too long, like on a bus ride). (I mean, I normally can find things to chat with people about and find getting to know people's stories super fun, but some people aren't as happy to talk like that or maybe aren't really that interesting or maybe they didn't find me interesting, I don't know...)

I've only had 2 experiences where I really didn't like the fellow travelers. One guy broke the unwritten rule of group travel - don't discuss politics (basically going after me for the state that I live in due to its political leanings). After that, we avoided him - other than to observe that he was mean to his wife in public multiple times. We decided that he generally wasn't a very nice or happy person. The other guy was just a bit of a know it all and sort of wanted to be in charge.

Good luck with your planning/decision. There are pros and cons of group travel. The "box of chocolate" aspect of not knowing what your going to get, group-wise, is a con. But even if the group has a number of clique-y people who still act like they are in middle school (like one PP described), you can still have a great time.

We have been lucky so far in that the only tour that was cancelled on us was a river cruise for 2021 that we booked end of January 2020. You can imagine why it was.... I remember the horrible feeling as the PIF date came closer and closer without them admitting we would not be going, but they did eventually do the right thing and cancelled when we still had a little under a month to pay. At the time I was very mad that folk who cancelled of their own accord were not being offered refunds unless they were willing to play the game of chicken. I honestly don't know if they ever made it right or not. Most moved dates so its hard to say what would have been right anyway. That said, we ran into the same issue with a WDW reservation we had for 2020 and while we were able to recoup most of our money, we were not able to recover all of it. It is simply a risk when traveling, and is why many people decide to get trip insurance and do their best to keep upbeat and flexible. Airfare can be included in that if you book it on your own. Iceland is a very expensive place to visit, and depending on the time of year you plan to travel you may find hotels and such booked up. We visited the Westfjords in July last year and even with the luxury of time had a rough time finding affordable accommodations with availability that did not share a bathroom. If Disney cancels on you you'd get your money back, which maybe would lessen the blow... these are not cheap trips so anything OYO you need to put together may be far cheaper in the long run at least! Assuming its a go you really won't be investing much time or energy - that's a large part of why folk book these trips; someone else does that part.

Did you happen to ask why they felt ostracized..? It may not be what you think... We are also middle class and while I will freely admit the same, the reason is usually simple when it happens... we don't have kids. Most of the time it is one of the first things people ask out of habit and the number of times you could hear a pin drop when we say no... :ssst: There are also always a few folk who compare notes about numbers and locations of trips, or talk about them ceaselessly even while ON a trip, but they are a minority and even then they're still lovely people. They just want to talk and we let them. I've yet to run into someone who I ever felt looked down their nose at me, or I couldn't have a nice chat with on the two ABD trips we've been on. We've done tours with other companies as well and I would say the same - everyone is there to have a good time. On an ABD, hey, they probably share a love for Disney too.
I agree-- starting with a shared interest (Disney fan, or interest in the parks or movies, D23 etc) helps with group dynamics, breaking the ice etc. And two guides helps a lot --they interact with everyone, and I think they are trained to spot anyone seeming to be on the outs. While we've done a number of ABDs (14, many with our kids, but some Adult exclusive), we've also traveled with Tauck (9) and recently with Trafalgar. We have an Odysseys Unlimited trip booked, too-- trying out different things. I have felt the "class" distinction only on Tauck-- recently on a Tauck trip I met another couple who were fans of Disney, so we hung out a bit-- and while doing so a woman in the group rolled her eyes and asked if we lived in Fantasyland. Another older woman in the group (retired Judge, with a small entourage) said she went to Disneyland, it was crowded, never again. Well, it is one thing to not like something (to each his or her own) but another thing to put someone down for their own likes. I now have a shirt that says "I live in Fantasyland " which I'll wear on my next ABD and probably a Tauck trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest