Tent camp or Dolphin Teacher Rate???

simonmunro

DIS Veteran
I really need some ideas. I can get an excellant rate at the Dolphin and I adore it. BUT, I can tent camp for less than half that rate a night and have that rustic, family feel. I'm going back and forth in my mind and I need opinions??? Please. I budgeted enough for the Dolphin but do I want to spend down to the last budget penny? Maybe. Any views would be appreciated.

FW is a great resort, mainly because it is so relaxing and there is so much to do. The dolphin is a nice hotel and convenient to the studios and Epcot. Really I would make my choice based on the time I was planing to spend at the resort. I would also take into consideration the time of year and therefore the heat.

Well even as much as I love Fort Wilderness the whole tent camping option - or heck any camping unless we are talking a luxury 5th wheel type motorhome - does not appeal to me. I need a nice little Fort Wilderness cabin with a shower, air conditioning, cable tv, a comfy couch, ect. I am obviously not one for roughing it :) Plus I always feel so sorry for all of the tent campers on the days when it downpours :( It just seems like everything in their tents would be damp for days.

So if I only had those 2 options I would go for the Dolphin in a heartbeat. I have been in the Dolphin once and it seemed very nice to me and the location is really great too. However, it didn't feel very "Disney" to me so I wouldn't really ever want to stay there. But if I had a special rate like you do I might would maybe "sacrifice" ;) and stay there afterall. I have noticed from some of your other posts that you have stayed at the Dolphin before and I am assuming that you liked it since you are considering staying there again. I would stay at the Dolphin but take a day to visit Fort Wilderness and explore, do the petting zoo, hay ride, campfire sing a long, ect. You could even check out the tent camping areas in detail so you can see if you would maybe like to do it on the next time you go to WDW :)

Not being able to sleep with air conditioning would be the deciding factor for me. --- Do the Dolphin

Renee

FW and the Dolphin are the two places we always stay. If it's a shorter trip (4 days or under) we stay at the Dolphin. For longer trips we tent camp at FW. The work of setting up the tents and taking them down again (and the air matresses, screen tent, cookstove, etc, etc) doesn't seem worth it to me for shorter trips.

It also depends on what you're planning on doing during your stay! If you're planning on spending more time at MGM, Epcot and the Boardwalk, stay at the Dolphin! If you're planning on spending more time at the resort and/or at MK, then stay at FW.

Also, consider the month you're going. If it's in the summer - I would definitely pick the hotel because of the air conditioning.

Good luck with your decision! I'm sure no matter which one you choose, you're going to have a wonderful time! You're in WDW!! :D :D

You could consider splitting your stay. Camp for a few days and see MK, then off to be pampered at the Dolphin and see Epcot and MGM. It can be a lot of trouble to bring all the camping stuff but the money you save can buy some nice meals. You get 2 different vacations in 1 and save some money. Whatever you decide you will have a great time!:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter