Tell me something random about Disneyland

Zzizzy

Disney Storyteller
I am taking inspiration from a friend's Facebook page, who posted, "Tell me something random." He got some wonderful responses. So I thought I would try it here. I am modifying to the following...

Tell me something random (about Disney Disneyland/DCA)".

Extra comments allowed, but keep sending the tidbits.

(This could spark something interesting... we'll see.)

There's a hidden Mickey, or perhaps more accurately, a Mickey hidden in the Big Rock Candy Mountain on Buena Vista Street in DCA.

A Monorail train has 54 tires. (link)

figure1-7.jpg

Photo credit: Kevin Krock (link)

:earsboy:

Thurl Ravenscroft, who is best known for being the deep voice behind Tony the Tiger and singing "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" also did several of the voiced at Disneyland.
He was the voice of the first mate on the Mark Twain, he was the buffalo head in the Bear Country Jamboree, Fritz the German parrot in the Enchanted Tiki Room, the lead singer of the singing busts in the Haunted Mansion, and the train conductor for the Disneyland Railroad.

He also recorded tracks for the movies Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Lady and the Tramp, Peter Pan, and The Jungle Book.

Here's a video if you want to see him talking about the voiced he did for Walt in the parks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjZyzA-DJw

There's a hidden Mickey, or perhaps more accurately, a Mickey hidden in the Big Rock Candy Mountain on Buena Vista Street in DCA.

I finally saw it on Saturday!! It's kind of similar to the one in Indiana Jones. ;)

I was going to suggest you ask that Wayne guy I was chatting with on the Dream recently. :surfweb:

How about: The Dumbo ride goes counter-clockwise...errr, doesn't it? What about the other similar rides like the Astro Orbiters?

There is a Tour office on Main Street. That used to be Marty Sklar's office, and he used to work in there with the door unlocked. One time a tourist happened to walk into his office, and they got to talking. He discovered that he could get some good insights by leaving his office door open and randomly talking to guests (as told by Marty Sklar)

The Pope Ranch still stands on DL grounds. Members of the family lived in that rancho through the 70's.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...of-disneyland-history-at-the-circle-d-corral/

Hmmmm.... every morning just before daybreak thousands of crows take to the sky and fly into the city. As evening nears, the crows can be seen along the streets outside Disneyland, perched on various trees, fences, and lights. They all fly in to the park together to roost. (I've been there both in the morning to see this and many times in the afternoon/evening to watch them fly back in to the park. I get a kick out of it.)

On Haunted Mansion, as you pass above the ballroom, look carefully at the fourth pane of glass. There you will find a crack, carefully disguised by a spider and web. Stories about how the crack got there vary from little boy with a sling-shot to man with a gun.

On Haunted Mansion, as you pass above the ballroom, look carefully at the fourth pane of glass. There you will find a crack, carefully disguised by a spider and web. Stories about how the crack got there vary from little boy with a sling-shot to man with a gun.

have you seen this crack??? I heard that story over a decade ago and Ive looked and looked and asked and asked and they say its not at DL but at wdw however, I looked for that one too and couldnt find it...i think its a hoax:rotfl:

ok i got one....how about when an audioanimatronic figure dies, it is given an audioanimatronic funeral.

oh and this one kind of makes me ill to think about it but....the value of the cash in all of the wallets and purses lost in Disneyland every day averages about $10,000

and this one is hysterical....Anyone who dies at Disneyland receives a free lifetime pass.:rotfl2:

I have this whole dang list and some of it is flipping hysterical mixed in with a load of their off their rocker..I have to post the link...

http://www.disneylies.com/funstuff/101things.shtml

OK people...be careful what you say to your kids in front of a CM...this is the most retarded thing Ive ever heard of.....Cast members who hear parents telling their children that Disneyland characters are just people in suits are required to immediately phone the child-abuse hotline.

I believe it was a BB-gun, and that person also shot at the glass at the Grand Canyon diorama on the railroad.

The penny arcade featured live ammunition in their .22 rifles for the first year of operation.

There are upside down orange trees planted in the river on the Jungle Cruise. The one I saw has been there since day 1. They were planted that way so that the roots of the orange trees would look like vines coming out of the water. They did this because 1) the budget was tight and 2) orange trees were plentiful. (Disneyland was built on the site of an orange grove)

The motto of Mr Toad is Semper Absurda

have you seen this crack??? I heard that story over a decade ago and Ive looked and looked and asked and asked and they say its not at DL but at wdw however, I looked for that one too and couldnt find it...i think its a hoax:rotfl:

ok i got one....how about when an audioanimatronic figure dies, it is given an audioanimatronic funeral.

oh and this one kind of makes me ill to think about it but....the value of the cash in all of the wallets and purses lost in Disneyland every day averages about $10,000

and this one is hysterical....Anyone who dies at Disneyland receives a free lifetime pass.:rotfl2:

I have this whole dang list and some of it is flipping hysterical mixed in with a load of their off their rocker..I have to post the link...

http://www.disneylies.com/funstuff/101things.shtml

OK people...be careful what you say to your kids in front of a CM...this is the most retarded thing Ive ever heard of.....Cast members who hear parents telling their children that Disneyland characters are just people in suits are required to immediately phone the child-abuse hotline.

Our doom buggy was stopped right in front of that glass in the Haunted Mansion last year, and I finally saw the spider! If I remember correctly you'll want to look past the first layer of glass to another one in the ballroom (but then again it has been a while...).

In the dungeon in the the Snow White's Scary Adventures queue, there are real photos of Walt Disney and his family, hidden in a box that is disguised as a book.

There is a Tour office on Main Street. That used to be Marty Sklar's office, and he used to work in there with the door unlocked. One time a tourist happened to walk into his office, and they got to talking. He discovered that he could get some good insights by leaving his office door open and randomly talking to guests (as told by Marty Sklar)

The Pope Ranch still stands on DL grounds. Members of the family lived in that rancho through the 70's.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...of-disneyland-history-at-the-circle-d-corral/

Hmmmm.... every morning just before daybreak thousands of crows take to the sky and fly into the city. As evening nears, the crows can be seen along the streets outside Disneyland, perched on various trees, fences, and lights. They all fly in to the park together to roost. (I've been there both in the morning to see this and many times in the afternoon/evening to watch them fly back in to the park. I get a kick out of it.)

Wow! So am I reading all this correctly - this couple lived in their house IN the park for close to fifteen years? JEALOUS!!!!

There's a post-secondary school about 30 minutes from where I live that is also a crow-roosting site - it is cool (but sometimes kinda freaky!) to see this giant murder of crows flying around! Here they tend to do a lot of their flying around dusk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter