• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Teachers & Guns

Oh well.

Gatordad - I wanted to say thanks for the kick in the butt earlier. I thought about what you said all through football practice tonight and I'm going to figure out a way to go back to school to finish my degree. You're right, there will always be excuses and it won't be easy, but I think it'll just make it that much more valuable to me once I'm done. :thumbsup2 I know you've been going through the same so thanks for the little pep talk! :)

hey now, i didn't use the word excuses. Mine definately were, like 2 jobs, the kids no time, no money blah blah blah. I started at University of Phoenix, didn't like it, so I said, to heck with it. I'm applying to UF, if I get in, I'll find a way to pay for it and do it.

I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you will get it done. I know it's hard being the single parent, my wife can't wait for this to be over.

Jugman, I usually don't pipe in on these things, but I went back and looked at the responses to your posts and I didn't see anything that was out of order, Of course, the threads you edited I couldn't see but the responses weren't bad. JMO.

I can't say who's flaming who, because I did not get an opportunity to read all the posts, but I think I get the gist. As far as guns for teachers go.....I would like to think that we could trust teachers to carry them and respect them and not allow anyone else to get a hold of them. But I hate that in today's society we feel a need for teachers to have them. In the high school I graduated from in PA, it was common for a kid to come to school with a gun in the back of his truck. Nobody thought twice about it. He'd show it off and maybe go hunting later. There was no fear because guns were respected in that community and more importantly people were respected.

As far as higher education goes...I'm all for it. Is it possible to have a fulfilling and lucrative career without one? Of course! Do I use my degree? Not really at the moment as a SAHM, but I am proud that I have it. It is an accomplishment and an example to my children. Also there is so much more that I know and understand now that I have completed That degree. Not to mention the experience of going to college. Being out on your own for the first time, but with help from friends and professors was something that is unmatched anywhere else. I wouldn't trade it! Once again, it is a personal choice. It may not be for everyone. Going back to that small PA town, farming was the main occupation. I can say that education was also valued. Many people who I went to high school with who planned to become farmers still went to college, majored in Agriculture and their business was that much more successful!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm excited and am going to start looking around today to see what I need to do. I may start online and do anything I can there and then enroll in the fall to start classes at the school but I have to see what's offered first.

Interesting that Colson was brought up. How do new people know about someone that no longer posts here? :confused3 I sure didn't when I first started. Hmmmm

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm excited and am going to start looking around today to see what I need to do. I may start online and do anything I can there and then enroll in the fall to start classes at the school but I have to see what's offered first.

Interesting that Colson was brought up. How do new people know about someone that no longer posts here? :confused3 I sure didn't when I first started. Hmmmm

Jugman isn't new, he just doesn't post often.

I'm so happy that you are doing this for you...and your boys! It will mean a lot to them to see their mom working towards this lofty goal! It will be a challenging road, but so worth it in the end! Never loose sight of that! If you ever need encouragement, you'll get plenty of it here! :banana:

Yay for Soni!!!!!

Jugman isn't new, he just doesn't post often.

I'm so happy that you are doing this for you...and your boys! It will mean a lot to them to see their mom working towards this lofty goal! It will be a challenging road, but so worth it in the end! Never loose sight of that! If you ever need encouragement, you'll get plenty of it here! :banana:

Yay for Soni!!!!!

My apologies Jugman, I thought you were new because I had never seen you here before. I'm pretty new so I'm just learning. As far as being a flamer (that word is so funny to me because where I come from we use it in a totally different context) I have no idea. I just didn't totally agree that you don't need a college education because I've been on the receiving end of the effects of not having one. Hopefully people are able to have varying points of view here - and that when someone doesn't agree with you, you don't get upset because I think you'll find that happens alot. But if you don't stand for something, then your just Obama. I'm sorry that slipped out. :rolleyes1

Thanks so much Ami! I think I will need the encouragment because even though I know in the end it will be good for the boys, I already deal with alot of guilt for having to work so much and leaving them and now to add time away for school but hopefully they will understand the bigger picture.

My apologies Jugman, I thought you were new because I had never seen you here before. I'm pretty new so I'm just learning. As far as being a flamer (that word is so funny to me because where I come from we use it in a totally different context) I have no idea. I just didn't totally agree that you don't need a college education because I've been on the receiving end of the effects of not having one. Hopefully people are able to have varying points of view here - and that when someone doesn't agree with you, you don't get upset because I think you'll find that happens alot. But if you don't stand for something, then your just Obama. I'm sorry that slipped out. :rolleyes1

Thanks so much Ami! I think I will need the encouragment because even though I know in the end it will be good for the boys, I already deal with alot of guilt for having to work so much and leaving them and now to add time away for school but hopefully they will understand the bigger picture.

The little time you've been on here, I can already tell you are a great Mom! Yes, time with your kids is extremely important, but more important is the quality of time that you spend. I can see that you will go out of your way, maybe even be a little sleep deprived yourself :rolleyes1 , to give those boys experiences with their mom that they will treasure forever. Chances are they won't remember the time they were just "hangin' out" with mom or a sitter or whoever....but they will remember the weekends and the trips and all those special moments. As long as they know that you are there for them and will drop everything if they need you..then they'll be good. Plus, think how proud they will be in the end!

"The college's need to be closed as well, from what I see. It seems to me that common sense is just about gone and being replaced with BS degrees"

When your post starts off like this, you are attempting to flame. I didn't see where anyone spoke down to him, in spite of his attempts to start trouble. Frankly, if he chooses to feel that way, then edit his posts, then leave, I won't stop him.

The little time you've been on here, I can already tell you are a great Mom! Yes, time with your kids is extremely important, but more important is the quality of time that you spend. I can see that you will go out of your way, maybe even be a little sleep deprived yourself :rolleyes1 , to give those boys experiences with their mom that they will treasure forever. Chances are they won't remember the time they were just "hangin' out" with mom or a sitter or whoever....but they will remember the weekends and the trips and all those special moments. As long as they know that you are there for them and will drop everything if they need you..then they'll be good. Plus, think how proud they will be in the end!

Thanks Ami! You're pretty awesome yourself.

"The college's need to be closed as well, from what I see. It seems to me that common sense is just about gone and being replaced with BS degrees"

When your post starts off like this, you are attempting to flame. I didn't see where anyone spoke down to him, in spite of his attempts to start trouble. Frankly, if he chooses to feel that way, then edit his posts, then leave, I won't stop him.

Wow, I guess that would be your opinion that you just posted then wouldn't it as it was jugman's opinion you quoted. So who is flamen...:confused3

I am also so sure he is glad you gave him permission to leave otherwise he would have just kept flamen, err I mean stating his opinion!;) Boy, it sure is hard to get along in this little world of same opinions where you are considered a trouble maker if your opinion is different than others?!?:confused:

Ami and Soni should just hug now and get it over with. :hug:

As for going back/continuing school, I say definitely do it. I was laid off and couldn't get a job in my field because I didn't have my degree. Once I got a job I promised DW the first thing I would do is go back to school. I got a job, went back to school and graduated with a 4.0. Surprised everyone, including me since I barely got out of high school.

congrats, although it means you studied too hard, lol.

grass.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter