Teachers & Guns

Here is one more supporter for College Edumication. I didn't finish college, I was the genius who thought partying and hanging out with boys was a much better route to take. :rotfl2: Once my parents found out I wasn't regularly attending my classes - my free ride was over. I didn't have the money myself and then the family came and I didn't have time. Now I wish every day that I had finished because I am as intelligent (if not more - ok ok so back in college I didn't seem to have many brain cells but that was really just poor decisions - I knew better) as the guy running this joint, but because he has a degree he got to move to the top of the class while I just run everything for him -while making much much less than he I might add (and I do all of this and still have my DIS time :woohoo: ). So I tell my kids (even the one who is just starting pre-school) that no matter what they have to take school seriously, finish college and get their degrees. When they ask why, I tell them so that you don't have to work as hard as mommy - you can be at the top of the class watching everyone else work. :lmao: I am a single parent and I am struggling to put both my kids through private school so that hopefully they will receive a better education and have much better opportunities then I have (and don't make the same dumb choices I did. :sad2: )

College does matter and anyone who tries to say it doesn't just looks for ways to skate around the system. Any job I've ever REALLY wanted required some type of degree. It's the way our world works. Sure you can do some type of training - but that is still schooling. Either way you look at it, you really can't make a decent living without putting some effort towards education. Thinking you can just get ahead by experience is not true. I've been in the my field for 11 years now and do a great job - but I'd get passed up every time for someone who is out of college with a degree because they have shown that they put the effort forward to get that extra education and I look like I didn't. Do I think it's unfair -sometimes, depending on my mood I do - but I understand the why's and how's and unless I'm able (which at this time I'm not) to go that extra mile and show that I've "bettered" my education - then I can't complain. I just work hard to provide for my boys and hope that the opportunity arises that I can go back to school and continue my education - if for nothing else to set an example for my kids of how they SHOULD do it so that they aren't passed by in the working world. :teacher:

Here is one more supporter for College Edumication. I didn't finish college, I was the genius who thought partying and hanging out with boys was a much better route to take. :rotfl2: Once my parents found out I wasn't regularly attending my classes - my free ride was over. I didn't have the money myself and then the family came and I didn't have time. Now I wish every day that I had finished because I am as intelligent (if not more - ok ok so back in college I didn't seem to have many brain cells but that was really just poor decisions - I knew better) as the guy running this joint, but because he has a degree he got to move to the top of the class while I just run everything for him -while making much much less than he I might add (and I do all of this and still have my DIS time :woohoo: ). So I tell my kids (even the one who is just starting pre-school) that no matter what they have to take school seriously, finish college and get their degrees. When they ask why, I tell them so that you don't have to work as hard as mommy - you can be at the top of the class watching everyone else work. :lmao: I am a single parent and I am struggling to put both my kids through private school so that hopefully they will receive a better education and have much better opportunities then I have (and don't make the same dumb choices I did. :sad2: )

College does matter and anyone who tries to say it doesn't just looks for ways to skate around the system. Any job I've ever REALLY wanted required some type of degree. It's the way our world works. Sure you can do some type of training - but that is still schooling. Either way you look at it, you really can't make a decent living without putting some effort towards education. Thinking you can just get ahead by experience is not true. I've been in the my field for 11 years now and do a great job - but I'd get passed up every time for someone who is out of college with a degree because they have shown that they put the effort forward to get that extra education and I look like I didn't. Do I think it's unfair -sometimes, depending on my mood I do - but I understand the why's and how's and unless I'm able (which at this time I'm not) to go that extra mile and show that I've "bettered" my education - then I can't complain. I just work hard to provide for my boys and hope that the opportunity arises that I can go back to school and continue my education - if for nothing else to set an example for my kids of how they SHOULD do it so that they aren't passed by in the working world. :teacher:

Well there you go, a living example....Thank you!

The college's need to be closed as well, from what I see. It seems to me that common sense is just about gone and being replaced with BS degrees.:laughing: Most jobs can be done without a degree of any kind. It's called training. This world has brainwashed people into thinking you have to have a degree or you'll never amount to anything. I must go now and tell the sucessful people I know that doesn't have one that they aren't sucessful.:rotfl2:

There are some very successful people - my dad has ran his own company for 40 years with an 8th grade education - but things were ALOT different back then they are now. It's not that the jobs CAN'T be done without a degree, it's that the system REQUIRES you to have one to get ahead of the guy who does. Unless you are going to start your own company or get really lucky in a company that doesn't follow "the rules" then without a degree you get left behind or spend years getting to the same place that someone with a degree got to long ago.

I may not agree with all you say - but I do like your signature. :rolleyes1

Ah, Soni, you're such a good mom! :hug: Your boys are very luck to have you as a mommy! So when is that next camping trip?

Well, here are my 2 cents.

I believe in the right to bear arms. Not letting people buy guns isn't going to stop the criminals from getting the guns so why should we be left unprotected?

I think if the teachers can get proper training then it could be a good idea and possibly save lives. It may even get some people to think twice before bringing a gun to school.

What I really think would help with crime is going the eye for an eye route. Whatever horrible act someone commits against another human or animal should be done to them. I think that would make someone think twice. Although there are the nuts out there who it wouldn't matter anyway.

Ok, I am rambling now so I quit there. Sorry. :guilty:

Ah, Soni, you're such a good mom! :hug: Your boys are very luck to have you as a mommy! So when is that next camping trip?

I was going to try and book somewhere for Labor Day weekend - late I know but the local Yogi campground did have some availabilty - UNTIL I received the football schedule and of course he has games every Saturday (and some Sundays), including Labor Day weekend, so it looks like we aren't going to have much of a life until this football season is over. Have I complained much about football and how much it's taken over our lives? :confused3 Actually we've been having fun with it but now that I've discovered something else I want to do - I'm a little irritated with it. Oh well there is always the spring. :banana:

it's not too late to finish.... it may be hard, but it's not impossible.

it's not too late to finish.... it may be hard, but it's not impossible.

Yea I know it's not impossible. It's just hard right now because I don't have anyone to watch the boys in the evenings while I attend school. I want to go back to finish my nursing degree and I've checked into it and it would require alot of hours. I could go back and do other things and it wouldn't take as long - but if I'm going to put forth the effort, I'd rather it be for something I really want to do - not what I'm already doing. :rotfl:

Every situation is different, as is every person, and you can't make a blanket across-the-board judgement about them all. Until recently nobody thought that nurses needed to be educated, just trained. But healthcare has gotten WAY too complex to rely on learing the same basic task skills.

I haven't worked in a hospital since I got my degree, I've preferred to help my patients in their real world situation. That has meant the ability to apply clinical knowledge and practice to constantly changing settings. You can't "train" someone to do that. All the time I spent studying psychology, sociology, finance and general business principles has not been wasted, as they are constantly coming in to play.

If I was simply trained to work in a hospital I would not have been able to do all the things I have done for the last 15 years. Even my wife, who has always been hospital-based, would not have lasted long in critical care without a solid education under all the task-oriented training.

Yea I know it's not impossible. It's just hard right now because I don't have anyone to watch the boys in the evenings while I attend school. I want to go back to finish my nursing degree and I've checked into it and it would require alot of hours. I could go back and do other things and it wouldn't take as long - but if I'm going to put forth the effort, I'd rather it be for something I really want to do - not what I'm already doing. :rotfl:

trust me, it doesn't get any easier as you get older..... I had reasons for not getting my 2nd degree for years, I finally had enough and then just went back for it.

Jugman....dont you run a farm? Man.....that aint easy work...may not require a degree, but it does indeed require education. I cant keep a house plant alive!!

jugman, i dont think anyone has talked down to you at all...simply expressed their different point of view of why education is important for them. i think most folks can appreciate your point of view because experience does count for a lot...but sometimes it's just not enough for a position or career we choose to have.

Oh well.

Gatordad - I wanted to say thanks for the kick in the butt earlier. I thought about what you said all through football practice tonight and I'm going to figure out a way to go back to school to finish my degree. You're right, there will always be excuses and it won't be easy, but I think it'll just make it that much more valuable to me once I'm done. :thumbsup2 I know you've been going through the same so thanks for the little pep talk! :)

Oh well.

Gatordad - I wanted to say thanks for the kick in the butt earlier. I thought about what you said all through football practice tonight and I'm going to figure out a way to go back to school to finish my degree. You're right, there will always be excuses and it won't be easy, but I think it'll just make it that much more valuable to me once I'm done. :thumbsup2 I know you've been going through the same so thanks for the little pep talk! :)

Go for it, one nurse to another. My SIL finished her nursing degree while by brother was in S. Korea for a year, courtesy of the USAF. She managed as essentially a single mother of 3 and finished the toughest part of the whole thing alone. We were cheering her on, and Mom went down to TX for a little while to help, but I still don't know how she pulled that off. She's working in a transplant unit now.

Just some inspiration, hopefully...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter