Taking the big jump- and going to DISNEYLAND! Advice needed!

UnderTheMistletoe

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>DH calls me "Figg
While we were out tonight we decided that we're going to go to DL this time next year! :Pinkbounc For me, it's a first trip to California. He's been out a few times, although mostly for athletic commitments.

As soon as we got home, I immediately sat down to the computer and wanted to start planning! Problem is- I am clueless! I would love advice on what to see, where to go, where to eat, and where to stay within in the parks, as well as in California. We're probably going to take a 7-8 day (although it can bump up to about 10) trip with 4 of them at DL. I would like to go to San Diego and LA, too.

At DL- we're thinking split 2 days at the Grand Californian and 2 at the Disneyland Hotel. In San Diego, we're thinking Del Coronado.

Beyond that- we're game for anything and would *love* advice, suggestions, and past experiences. :wizard:

You'll love hotel Del! My husband goes there about once a year for work. He just loves it.

As for other things to see and do- really depends on what interests you. CA has a lot to offer! There are some great beaches. San Deigo offers a nice zoo and sea world. Near LA there is Universal studios- theme park and back lot tour. Hollywood. Rodeo Drive. There are shows that tape in LA that you can get ticket for. I would go for something live, not a sticom. We did that once. Found out it takes HOURS and HOURS to tape one 30 min. show, and once you get in there, they dont want to let you out!

I would consider not moving hotels once you get to DL - they're close together and you can certainly see the other hotel, eat there, etc. But you'll be so busy seeing the parks - stopping to move your luggage and stuff won't be fun! Both of the hotels are great, though! Can't say I wouldn't want to try them both as well!
4 days at DL will be perfect! You'll have a great time! You'll have plenty of time to see everything without feeling too rushed. We all have our favorites, and the not-to-be-missed rides and shows, but try everything - even the smaller atttractions - some are hidden treasures!
And the Del is absolutely wonderful! How many days are you thinking in Dan Diego? Who's going? Are there children in the group? San Diego has so much to offer - you could easily spend the rest of your vacation days there! Really love the Zoo and the Animal Park. Sea World is great. Legoland - only really good for the under 9 set from what we hear.
As far as LA - we've done the basics - but I'd also recommend the La Brea Tar Pits if you have time. Really interesting and different. LA has some great museums, and they usually have traveling exhibits that are really worth your time!
I wanna go! :teeth:

AFMom said:
I would consider not moving hotels once you get to DL - they're close together and you can certainly see the other hotel, eat there, etc. But you'll be so busy seeing the parks - stopping to move your luggage and stuff won't be fun! Both of the hotels are great, though! Can't say I wouldn't want to try them both as well!

We will definitely have to keep this in mind. This is usually our approach when we get to Veags- move once or twice to "experience" more. He had suggested staying in just one place last night, too. I'm really up for either Disneyland Hotel or the Grand Californian. Guess that makes it easy!

AFMom said:
We all have our favorites, and the not-to-be-missed rides and shows, but try everything - even the smaller atttractions - some are hidden treasures!
The plan... mind you, the plan... is to see and do as much as possible! We know it's not like WDW where we will be back a few times a year. It could be 5-10 years before we go back out.

AFMom said:
And the Del is absolutely wonderful! How many days are you thinking in Dan Diego? Who's going? Are there children in the group?
Yes, the Del is where I put my foot down. DH has done some military training on Coronado Beach and isn't wuite as thrilled with the idea. He even tried pulling the, "It's haunted!" with me. Nuh-uh. I ain't budging!

It's just us- two young adults. I'm hoping there's not a bun in the oven by this time next year! Certainly not in our plans, but sometimes the Big Guy Upstairs has other plans. :rotfl:

We've added Sea World and the San Diego Zoo to the list. I hate zoos, but I'm told this is one I can't miss. What to do in LA? :confused3

UnderTheMistletoe said:
It's just us- two young adults. I'm hoping there's not a bun in the oven by this time next year! Certainly not in our plans, but sometimes the Big Guy Upstairs has other plans. :rotfl:

You do realize that now that you've put that out there, actually "uttered" the words so to speak, you will indeed have a bun by this time next year? There is no avoiding it! :rotfl2:

UnderTheMistletoe said:
We're probably going to take a 7-8 day (although it can bump up to about 10) trip with 4 of them at DL. I would like to go to San Diego and LA, too.

At DL- we're thinking split 2 days at the Grand Californian and 2 at the Disneyland Hotel. In San Diego, we're thinking Del Coronado.

Beyond that- we're game for anything and would *love* advice, suggestions, and past experiences. :wizard:

I wouldn't bother splitting the trip - DLH is nice, but just like a nice Hyatt or Hilton. Stay at GC. It's the only really unique great hotel there, and you can't beat that entrance into DCA!

4 Days should be plenty at DL, even if it is busy. If it isn't busy, you can really take your time ands sdoak the place in.

The Del is awesome! We haven't stayed there (yet), but did tour the grounds and beach in '03. We want to stay there next year for sure.

There are much cheaper places at DL even closer to the gates (with the exception of DCA), but if the price is OK for you, you won't be disappointed at all with GC! It is beautiful - kind of like if the Grand Floridian and the Wilderness Lodge had a child! The pool is small by WDW standards, but it's fine. Also, you can use the neat Peter Pan pool at DLH if you wish (as long as you are a Disney hotel guest at any of the 3 hotels).

You won't need the commando tactics you need to see everything like you do at WDW. Note that Peter Pan (same ride as WDW) has no Fast Pass. Also, it is worth it to stake out a prime spot for the fireworks. The nice warm blacktop in front of the castle can actually be comforting after a long day - and the fireworks are fantastic!

Also worth getting good seats for Fantasmic - in fact the dessert buffet on the Disney Gallery balcony is great (you need to try to book it at Guest Services as soon as they open - to the left of the gates of DCA, if I recall correctly).

I second the San Diego Zoo. There is also Wild Animal Park, which is the San Diego Zoo's breeding ground. It is neat, but not as neat as the Zoo. There is also a neat little area with shops and museums right around the entrance of the zoo.

Legoland is there, but it is aimed squarely at the under 12 crowd.

In LA, do stop bt Hollywood and Highland (where the Oscars are) - its a neat shopping center, right next the Chinese Theatre and across from the El Capitan - which will be showing the Disney film of the moment. It is a great theatre - on two trips we've actually gone there to see Disney films. They usually have some sort of special exhibit or little pre-show tied in with the film, and there is a small Disney ice cream counter and store next door.

Universal Studios is there - some of the same rides as it's Florida counterpart, but also a tram tour past real working sets.

If you can swing it, get a DCA view at the GC. It's like a postcard out your window!

UnderTheMistletoe said:
We've added Sea World and the San Diego Zoo to the list. I hate zoos, but I'm told this is one I can't miss. What to do in LA? :confused3
If you're using the words DL, SW, and Zoo in the same sentence, consider a look at CityPass. CityPass is a package which includes a DL/CA 3Day Hopper, SW, SD Zoo or Wild Animal Park, and Universal Studios. Buying it via the website will save you 30% off of regular gate admission, buy it via Costco to save an additional 10%.

There are packages for Legoland/SW/Zoo (google "legoland seaworld package") as well. While doing a search, I also found http://www.gosandiegocard.com. Maybe that could fit your needs as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter