Taking SOn out of school For disney

I was watching the news the other night, and they profiled this kid who had just graduated HS without having ever missed a day of school. Man, I felt sorry for him...

School is highly overrated by people as a measure of how successful someone will be. I graduated in the top 5% of my HS class, and the bottom quarter of my college class (engineering). I believe that learning is something that is available everywhere, and my wife and I constantly remove our kids from school if travel opportunites beckon.

My son has been to Disney during the school year several times. He tested in the top 1% of students in the country. We're going in January (and three weeks from now!)

The question is not "Should I..." but "How do I do this without impacting the work schedule?"

1.) Tell your school to prepare all of the work they will miss. After a day of running around, spend an hour. (yes, you can condense 7 hours of school into 1 hour of homework...)

2.) Make the trip "educational". Unless your kid is a stump, there are opportunities everywhere around Disney to "learn something". I have found that if you let the kids pick what is interesting to them, they want to learn.

3.) There are different things that school teaches you, but it's miserable at preparing kids for life. Whenever we travel, we encourage the kids to be outgoing, ask questions, and interact with people (since we're right there...). Social skills, adaptability to new environments, and learning "the rules" when they aren't written on the blackboard all trump times tables and outdated history lessons.

Here are a few examples of things we've done with our kids at Disney that I consider "educational":

1.) In EPCOT, there is an African Mask Carver named Andrew. We sat with him and watched him carve for a bit. Then my son told him how much he liked snakes, so Andrew carved him a snake. He let my daughter paint it. The whole time we were there, people came and went. We spent an hour. He told us about his village, toolmaking, the animals they carve...

2.) After dinner at the Floridian one night, we stopped and listened to the piano player in the lobby. My daughter danced. Yes, this is educational, since dance is something that people do long after they forget geometry. I'd like to see more arts available in the schools- and please bring back Shop!

3.) Replace Phys Ed with a day of walking around Disney and swimming- America has way too many fat kids and parents...

4.) Spend time with your kids- education is a parents responsibility, and the school is only a part of it. Best things my kids have ever learned came from me, not their schools...

Sorry for the ramble, but kids need to be kids first. As adults, we know what happens later!

Steve

EWR to MCO on 8/4!

Well kids are entitled to holiday breaks. If he doen'st usually miss school, I can't see it doing much harm, and it's a great time to go, when you're a kid :banana:

Besides, he needs to check out the Pirates of the Carribbean ride b4 the third movie comes out and they change it again :)

We also have a dd that will begin first grade in August. I know that school funding here in MS is based on the number of students that are actually at school. Therefore, I wouldn't let her just miss school for "no reason", but hey we're talking about Disney! :banana: We went 3 years ago for dd's 4th b-day and she had a blast - heck, we all did and I was 8 mo. pregnant - another dd - hence my screen name! princess: Anyway, I say go for it - we are!

We'll be in Disney October 6-13 - and can hardly stand the wait. :hourglass

I have no issues with taking kids out of school for vacations. At some point if it is an issue for either of them, then we would stop doing it of course, but right now, my oldest is just going into the 1st grade, and we will be taking her out again this year for a week.

I am taking my son out of kindergarten for a week sept. 18th. I know he's just beginning but its his birthday and its kindergarten even though its much more advance then before I am nervous also about telling his teachers. I think I will tell them my father bought the tickets for my sons birthday and forgot he was going to school. A little white lie.

abcboys said:
I haven't read all the replies (up to the 3rd page). All I am reading about is taking your kids out when they do great at school. 1st graders reading at 5th grade level etc, etc. Does anyone take a child out that struggles in school. My 7 year old will be in 2nd grade this year and really struggled in first grade (the teacher wanted him to be held back but he is already one of the older students, will be 8 in Oct) Anyway he NEVER missed ONE DAY of 1st grade. In about 2 years when he would be in 3rd grade I would love to take a disney vacation (1st one for the kids) during the school year. I hate crowds and heat and would love to go during an off time. I was just wondering who takes their non-genius kid out of school for a vacation?
I already have a response on page 7 of this thread, but I took the time to go back and re-read all the responses because I got an e-mail about a response to yours. I want to let you know that I am taking my girls out of school in December to go to Disney, but for DD6 it will not be an easy feat. She struggles in school, she was in reading recovery last year in first grade. She suffers from a Seizure Disorder and her medication causes her to struggle to stay focused and pay attention in her class room. She is easily distractable and unfortunately she suffers for it. We can't try new meds, because her seizures are currently being controlled, so we have to deal with her lack of focus. This also creates learning difficulties. If she can't stay focused she misses information in the classroom and her dad and I have to go over her work everyday to make sure she stays current in the classroom. So, we will have to work very hard to keep her on track while we are gone or work very hard to catch her up when we come back. So, I will be taking one out who falls into the accellerated level and one who learns a little differently. But she is still my precious gift from God. And we love her, genius or not.

When I was in middle school back in the 80 my mom and dad took me out of school to go to Disney and I think it's one of my best memories as a kid! I have a ld (learning disability) but having the time of my life with my mom and dad and sister was very worth it! We took our ds out of kindergarten last Feb and we are taking him out of 1st grade feb 07. I think time with family so important, just make sure they don't miss a lot of other times during the year.

Ohhhh..poking a hornet's nest is FUN!
We booked it 9 months ago for Sept. when my kids were previously OFF TRACK (on the year-round-school schedule) BUT now our school has switched to traditional schedule and the principal said "keep your reservations where they are! The'll learn more at say Epcot or AK then at school anyway...just bring me an Everest postcard"....COOL or what? They'll catch up on their homework just fine, I wont even PRETEND to tell you we'll bring it to work on on the plane!
To the origional question: Never ask if "this is bad?" because you do the best you can and that's GOOD!

I'll weigh in with my two cents worth.

First, I think only you and your family can make this decision, in consultation with your son's teacher and school district policy....

Having said that, I do have a few suggestions/opinions concerning the educational opportunities of a trip to Disney.

First, I think how you handle his absence is an educational opportunity as important as any other. Being up-front with the school and the teacher is a lesson in ethics. Making up work in advance, being active in alternate lesson-plan-preparation, arranging for DS to provide his peers with a post-trip report (biography on Walt Disney, environmental lessons learned at AK, multiculturalism at Epcot, even business lessons in WDW's operation) are all ways to emphasize learning opportunities in non-scholastic settings.

Second, and this is related to the first, DS should probably try to complete much of his schoolwork before leaving as part of his vacation preparation. Adults have to do this when leaving work, and I truly believe it's a good model for children and adolescents to emulate. Doing so can also help manage family time while on vacation.

Third, parents should actively participate in the educational opportunities. It seems like a given, but parents participating in experiential learning sets an important standard. (Unfortunately, I've heard way too many adults say derogatory things about Epcot's educational experiences, let derogatory comments about museum, etc. Boring is a work I hear a lot.) In terms of active participation, perhaps the whole family could do homework on Disney prior to going--I can recommend some books if anyone is interested. It need not be Disney history, of course, but other texts. You could read and discuss American frontier history, read Tom Sawyer, study the Declaration of Independence, biographies of Abraham Lincoln, etc. If your son is interested in cars, he could study a history of the automotive industry. Fascinated by animation? There's a whole avenue of study. The possibilities are endless. In other words, you can extend the educational aspect of WDW to time outisde the parks and make it a family experience.

Fourth, don't be afraid to critique (in the best sense of the word, not just criticize) Disney and its educational aspects. It's a great place to raise questions about the complicated ethical issues of zoos and animal preserves. What about its representations of history and or nationalism? What about issues of money and how Disney exposes its cost or cloaks them? Now, I realize that only you can decide what discussions are appropriate for your son, in terms of your family's values, where he cognitively, etc. But Disney offers a strong opportunity to examine many academic subjects--like conservation, patriotism, economics--in action.

Fifth, and again related to the first point, I believe parents should emphasize that a vacation can be fun, it can be educational, it can offer opportunities for family bonding, but a vacation does not excuse someone from their day-to-day responsibilities. You need to return to your job, and school is your son's job. I realize this sounds repetitive, but I think it bears repeating.

A little background that informs my response: I am an educator at the college level and have been teaching for a number of years. Quite a number of students now tell me they're going on vacation (esp. spring semester) and will miss not only the official holiday break, but the week before or after. In addition, the number of students who believe they should not be accountable for work assigned while they're on vacation has increased significantly. I've actually had students tell me that it's not their fault that they have to take a certain flight out of town, because of budget or their ride or hotel reservations, and will miss the last few classes before break. These same students seem surprised when I inform them of the course policies established during day one--which generally means submitting all assigned papers in advance or by the due date (not afterwards), no make-up quizzes or in-class work, and no excused absences (just a set amount to use as they see fit; if they go over, they receive a grade reduction). I worry that these young adults have yet to learn a strong work ethic will carry these expectations over into the work force.

Utahmama, I bet your principal was sprinkled with pixie dust as a child :wizard: ...maybe he/she even has a laminated lime green Mickey from HD attached to their brief case?

You are sooooooooooooooooooooooo lucky.

PS:
Socractes may have said "An unexamined life is not worth living" but I say " A life without joy is not worth living".

Vive la difference

This is the reason I can't decide on a date to go! We want to go to WDW in 2007, but my son will be a jr in HS. I have a 10 y/o dd that is home schooled
so there is no issue there. Going in the summer is not a real option for us as both of my kids get heat stroke/sun sick very easily. I know that we can't take my son out of high school for vacation. High School is just much more involved and missing even a week puts them behind. So I don't know why I keep putting off a date, when I know that summer is the only time we can do it! It's so frustrating.

Julie

I am taking my 2 sons - one in third grade and one in K from 11/25 until 12/6 so they will miss atleast a week and a half of school and I am fine with that. I in general think public school is over rated anyway. I will leave it at that :goodvibes

Willowtrees said:
I am taking my 2 sons - one in third grade and one in K from 11/25 until 12/6 so they will miss atleast a week and a half of school and I am fine with that. I in general think public school is over rated anyway. I will leave it at that :goodvibes

ok I'll bite. Why is public school over rated?

He's going to be in preschool and will miss two days and we plan on pulling him the next year when he's in kindergarten as well for another trip. But even this year I plan on having him make a travel journal, he's going to take his own pictures with a disposable camera and we will make a little book for him to take to school to discuss during sharing time. We will be seeing the AK so he can learn some new animals (he loves doing this). Plus we are going to get him Disney dollars and kind of talk basic ideas about how much, etc.
I think it is fine to take the kids out as long as your honest about it with the school/teachers and try to avoid taking them out for too long. One week is doable to make up work, but anything longer I think it is just too hard to catch up on the work, especially in a higher grade.

Have fun! They grow up just way too fast!!

Carol
ASMo 9/30/06 - 10/02/06 Free dining and FIRST Family Vacation EVER!! :banana:

Mommy to 3 Ds - 4, 2, and 4 mo!

GotFids:

If your limited by when your DS is on a break then how about the week of Presidents day, or Spring Break. This way there are fewer absences AND teachers tend to loosen the rope a bit when their breaks are coming too so the loss won't be so severe? I know its crowded during those times of year but I think it's still better to be waiting on line when its cool out than to be waiting ALL DAY in the scorching sun like we did last year. Of course, some families dig the heat but we're not one of them... and neither are you guys from the looks of it.

I will be taking my son out of early part of second grade. He has been reading alot and working on his math stuff all summer so I'm hoping that it won't be hard for him to catch up. I plan on discussing the trip with his teacher when we get back and work on a way to get some of the homework done in advance without him finding out. I am also going to have him do some projects and discuss with his teacher if she would like a presentation or something (epcot or kennedy space center). I think when they get older it becomes really hard for them to catch up no matter what time of year they go.

LuvOrlando:

That idea isn't too shabby! You are right that it does seem to be easier to catch up since teachers have a shorter week, I know he never seems to have testing or anything like that during 4 day weeks. I wouldn't feel quite as bad that way. Like you, we don't mind the lines as long as we aren't feeling sick from heat. Heat is overrated :sunny:

Thanks for the great advice!
Julie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter