Surf and Turf Disney Style…..30 days of food on land and at sea! 06/16 WPE

Your reviews and unwavering loyalty to Wolfgang Puck :lmao: are what led me to first try WPE and I love it now, so thank you! :thumbsup2

Your pictures are always so mouthwatering. I don't know how you manage to make everything look SO good. I get a big kick out of your excursions to places like Steak & Shake and Publix, because you somehow manage to make them seem just as magical as disney meals! I've never even eaten at Steak & Shake myself even though I pass them everywhere I go, you're making me reconsider that! :laughing:

That really was a great meet! I'm just so sad that our trips are off a day or so this time. I did so want to see the two of you again!

I can tell you that we will be eating our main meal at WPE our first day at WDW this September!:goodvibes

Hey there! Just thought you would appreciate that, on my trip last week, I went to WPE twice! I had the four cheese pesto pizza (my favorite as well!) for dinner and then the breakfast pizza that you always have for breakfast. I absolutely LOVED them both and can't wait to go back! Thanks to you and your food pictures for creating a new must-do counter-service meal for me! :)

Hi Karin,

We will be eating at WPE for the first time this trip. We are looking forward to it from all the great reviews from the disboards. I think that there are two locations in DTD. Is one better than the other or am I incorrect? Those pizzas look fantastic and so mouthwateringly good. I can't wait to eat around the world on our Deluxe Dining Plan.

Your reviews and unwavering loyalty to Wolfgang Puck :lmao: are what led me to first try WPE and I love it now, so thank you! :thumbsup2

Your pictures are always so mouthwatering. I don't know how you manage to make everything look SO good. I get a big kick out of your excursions to places like Steak & Shake and Publix, because you somehow manage to make them seem just as magical as disney meals! I've never even eaten at Steak & Shake myself even though I pass them everywhere I go, you're making me reconsider that! :laughing:

I am glad you liked it!
As for the loyalty - one needs to promote a fellow countryman! :rotfl2: Not that he really needs it. :lmao:

We really enjoy trying different things as this is part of our vacation experience. Being from Europe there are so many things to try that are not available here, so going offsite is really exciting! :thumbsup2
Can't wait for this year's vacation as we will have a non Disney week to start the vacation off with and there will be lots of things to try and see! ;) :thumbsup2

That really was a great meet! I'm just so sad that our trips are off a day or so this time. I did so want to see the two of you again!

I can tell you that we will be eating our main meal at WPE our first day at WDW this September!:goodvibes

We really enjoyed meeting you and I am as sad as you that our trips don't overlap this time. :sad1:

But :woohoo: for going back to Wolfgang's! We will be trying the upstairs dining room this year. :love:

Hey there! Just thought you would appreciate that, on my trip last week, I went to WPE twice! I had the four cheese pesto pizza (my favorite as well!) for dinner and then the breakfast pizza that you always have for breakfast. I absolutely LOVED them both and can't wait to go back! Thanks to you and your food pictures for creating a new must-do counter-service meal for me! :)

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Yeah for going to WPE twice! :lmao:
I am so happy you liked both pizzas so much. Very reassuring that I am not completely wrong with my reviews. :thumbsup2

Hi Karin,

We will be eating at WPE for the first time this trip. We are looking forward to it from all the great reviews from the disboards. I think that there are two locations in DTD. Is one better than the other or am I incorrect? Those pizzas look fantastic and so mouthwateringly good. I can't wait to eat around the world on our Deluxe Dining Plan.

There are definitely two locations of WPE (the CS restaurants) at Downtown Disney. One is right where the Rainforest Cafe is at the Marketplace, right next to the Christmas shop. This is the one with the larger seating area and larger menu.
The other is at pleasure island, where the movie theatre is. (There is also Wolfgang Puck's Cafe, which is TS restaurant)
I hope you'll enjoy your visit and the pizza! :thumbsup2

Day 25, September 6

California Grill

In the evening we had a reservation at the California Grill. We had to change the date to be sure, Ron would be working.
We arrived a little before our reservation and were taken upstairs to the restaurant and after a very short wait we were taken to our table.

IMG_2540.jpg

Ron started our meal with a complimentary glass of Sparkling Wine!

And after we had decided what to eat, he even brought us an Amuse Bouche!

IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

A small cup of Heirloom Sweet Potato Soup, smoked bacon, red pears, and a tempura rock shrimp on top. One of the best soups we have ever tasted, very creamy and full of flavour.

We both had ordered a starter, Tom had the

IMG_2554.jpg

Crispy Rock Shrimp Salad, mixed leaves with Florida citrus, red onions, soy reduction, and wasabi cream. Now the dressing was very tasty and the Rock Shrimp were wonderful, sweet, with a crispy batter! :thumbsup2

I had ordered the

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

Hearts of Romaine - with Roasted Garlic Dressing, Marinated Anchovies, Olives, Aged Parmesan, and Croutons. And it was all I was hoping for, crispy fresh romaine leaves with a light but very tasty dressing. The anchovies on top added so much flavour - I would order it again in a heartbeat.

When we were done with our starters, we were served some

IMG_2552.jpg

slightly warm, fresh crusty sourdough bread and

IMG_2553.jpg

butter sprinkled with Rock Salt.

We ordered some wine with dinner and Ron recommanded the

IMG_2544.jpg

Mer Soleil, which was wonderful!

Tom had the

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

Spicy Kazan Roll - crab, shrimp, bay scallops, tuna and fireball sauce. It is one of his favourites! The sushi is very tasty and the fireball sauce is really spicy. He really loves it!

I ordered my favourite as well,

IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

Grilled Pork Tenderloin, with Goat Cheese Polenta, Roasted Mushrooms, Zinfandel Glaze, and Sage. According to Ron this has been on the menu, since they opened and it definitely is a wonderful dish! The tenderloin lives up to its name, it is tender and juicy and the polenta is very creamy with just a hint of the goats cheese. The Zinfandel Glaze adds a wonderful new aspect to it. :cloud9:

Tom didn't want any dessert, so he ordered

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

an Espresso, which came with a yummy biscotti.

Before heading to the restaurant I had thought about ordering the Valhrona chocolate cake, but once I read the menu, something else caught my eye.

IMG_2575.jpg

The Lemon Trio!

IMG_2579.jpg

Pudding Cake with Citrus Syrup,

IMG_2578.jpg

Lemon Curd with Huckleberry Compote and

IMG_2576.jpg

Lemon infused Tapioca.
What a nice dessert. The tasting portions are just large enough to satisfy your palette and it was wonderful to have a not too sweet finish to my meal!

Next up - Krispy Kreme - AGAIN

Day 25, September 6

Krispy Snack

There were not many days left when we would have the opportunity to pick up some doughnuts for the guards at our resort, so, since we were in the car anyway, we drove over to Krispy Kreme and picked up a dozen doughnuts for the guards.
Needless to say, that since the Hot Now sign was on, we needed some for ourselves too! :rotfl2:

IMG_2588.jpg

Next up - Joe's Crabshack

I just drool every time I see the donuts.

Have you ever eaten at Narcoossees? I am planning on doing deluxe dining and I am thinking we may give that a try. Some a little fancy and different for us.

I just drool every time I see the donuts.

Have you ever eaten at Narcoossees? I am planning on doing deluxe dining and I am thinking we may give that a try. Some a little fancy and different for us.

Just thinking about those doughnuts makes me drool. :lmao:

Yes, we did eat at Narcoossees a few years ago and it was the worst meal ever!
We all had the Surf and Turf and all our steaks were cooked wrong and the lobster was as tough as old boots. The desserts were yuck too! :scared1: And I am easily pleased as long as it has chocolate and is sweet. :lmao:
We have not been back since ..... and it's been a few years, so I hope things have changed. :thumbsup2

I love that pork tenderloin dish! Seasons 52 makes something similar and both are excellent! YUM!

I just had to google Seasons 52 and the menu sounds wonderful ..... then I looked for locations and a few of them are actually quite close to where we will spend the first week of our summer vacation, so I made a note of it! Thanks for giving me new ideas! :goodvibes

Karin, I have been dreaming about that Spicy Kazan Roll and Pork Tenderloin since August 2010! 2 years is way too long between CG meals! Like you, I think I want the chocolate cake, but could be swayed by something as interesting as that lemon trio...it looks so refreshing!

Been following your DR, but this is my first chime-in. As always...amazing!

Now that you say that, I remember that.

And I agree, you aren't one to be too picky.

Karin, I have been dreaming about that Spicy Kazan Roll and Pork Tenderloin since August 2010! 2 years is way too long between CG meals! Like you, I think I want the chocolate cake, but could be swayed by something as interesting as that lemon trio...it looks so refreshing!

Been following your DR, but this is my first chime-in. As always...amazing!

Glad you finally decided to chime in! I love to know my readers! :goodvibes

I hope you have your reservation for CG all set up for August - can't remember from your ADR list :confused3! California Grill is closing for renovations in early 2013!! :scared1:
I just LOVE that Valhrona Chocolate Cake, but the Lemon Trio sounded so nice and tasted nice too! :thumbsup2

Now that you say that, I remember that.

And I agree, you aren't one to be too picky.

Jen, it could be totally different now, it was just that all four of us had a bad experience that one time.
And yes, I will try anything ..... at least once! :rotfl2:

Have you tried Fultons or flying fish?

Yes, we have been to Fultons and Flying Fish. We loved Flying Fish, it was just a bit on the loud side.
We really enjoyed Fultons as well - I had my first King Crab Claws and while the taste was not one that I had experienced before I really enjoyed them. Unfortunately Nicki (Mickeynicki) went a while later and didn't like it at all. If I remember correctly, portion sizes had gotten much smaller and some nicer menu items had disappeared.

As for buying the DxDDP! We paid the difference from FD to DxDDP two years ago and I would NEVER EVER buy it again.
If you do not want these credits to go to waste, you need to eat A LOT! All our days seemed to be rushing from restaurant to restaurant. We did very early lunches (like when they opened) and very late dinners (like 8 - 9ish) and never were hungry for a meal.
It is A LOT, an aweful LOT of food. I would rather pay OOP for a few meals than go with the DxDDP again. :goodvibes

We're only going to do it for 3 days. I have 3 signatures I want to do and then 3 regular meals. I know it will be a lot of food, but I just need to try it once. LOL.
I've been reading on the Nov. thread...and so many people are doing a weeks worth and have 3 TS meals a day. I think they are going to get burnt on it fast.

One I am doing is the Spirit of Aloha. I have CRT too...for now. I'm still thinking that one over. I know Claire will like it, but it's no big appeal for me anymore. But I made it now to have it and then I can cancel later.
If Be Our Guest opens, then I will for sure try to get that.

We're only going to do it for 3 days. I have 3 signatures I want to do and then 3 regular meals. I know it will be a lot of food, but I just need to try it once. LOL.
I've been reading on the Nov. thread...and so many people are doing a weeks worth and have 3 TS meals a day. I think they are going to get burnt on it fast.

One I am doing is the Spirit of Aloha. I have CRT too...for now. I'm still thinking that one over. I know Claire will like it, but it's no big appeal for me anymore. But I made it now to have it and then I can cancel later.
If Be Our Guest opens, then I will for sure try to get that.

You should be okay with if for three days (I guess you are staying three nights, so you could stretch this over 4 days) ..... I can see you "survive" that long on the DxDDP. :rotfl2:
We had it for about 9 or 10 nights and it got old FAST!!!!!!!! I never thought I would get sick of planning meals but I was! :lmao:
We only had signatures in the evening and regular meals for lunch, but it was pure food overload, especially since we still had two snacks per person per day. :scared1:
As for Be Our Guest .... I would really love to try it in February - I have given up hope it will be open in early September. ;)

That soup looks amazing! And I love anchovies, too. I will eat them right out of the tin, actually. I'm weird like that. The spicy Kazan roll is fabulous. We had it in April. I think I may just have to do a dining report for that trip or something. :rotfl2:

Oh how I wish we'd taken your suggestion and asked for Ron at Cali Grill. I felt funny asking for him and we got stuck with a doozy....worst experience ever there.:(

That soup looks amazing! And I love anchovies, too. I will eat them right out of the tin, actually. I'm weird like that. The spicy Kazan roll is fabulous. We had it in April. I think I may just have to do a dining report for that trip or something. :rotfl2:

I would never have ordered the soup, but Ron was nice enough to have it brought out for us. It was wonderful!
Tom just loves the CG sushi! Never had anything he didn't like! :thumbsup2

Oh how I wish we'd taken your suggestion and asked for Ron at Cali Grill. I felt funny asking for him and we got stuck with a doozy....worst experience ever there.:(

I am so sorry to hear that you had such a horrible experience there. You so should have asked for him, he just knows to set the scene and get everything off to a wonderful start and the evening can just progress from there on! :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter