Super Walmart shutting down ALL self checkouts...

The biggest issue when you check out at our Costco is making sure you don't get stuck behind one of the paid shoppers. They have massive amount of stuff and usually have 3 or 4 orders on their cart. It takes them a bit of time to sort everything out in order.

It would cost too much to open them in Seatle when land costs $50m an acre. The parking lot alone would cost $200m to build. The Target / Best Buy by our house are stacked on top of each other. There was some sporting goods store on level 2 between them. Does Walmart have any urban stores with parking structures?
Yes, they have a few; nowhere near as many as Targets built on garages. I know of one for sure in Virginia near DC, but I've heard there are about 5 US stores built that way.

Here in the UK we much prefer the hand held self scanning method.
Walk around the supermarket, scan and pack everything as you want.
At the checkout, scan the terminal, pay and leave.
Need a quick ok from the nearby supervisor if you are buying alcohol and, very rarely, a spot check.
No queuing!

ford family

I love shopping that way, I can bag everything just how I want it as I go along. It takes me a few minutes more to shop, but then check out is such a breeze. Our 2 major grocery stores (Wegmans & Tops) started using that method during the early pandemic. Wegmans stopped it maybe 18 months go, citing high losses from shoplifting. Tops still allows it. I probably shop at Wegman’s a little more than Tops, but I use it every time I’m at Tops.

When I shop at Wegmans, I usually use self checkout, no matter how many items I have. The signage says 20 items or less, but the employees do not say anything if you have more. If I absolutely have to use a cashier, I’ve started to put 1 reusable bag on the belt, followed by the items I want in it. Then the next bag, followed by the items for that bag & so on. I thought the cashiers might find that annoying, but the few I’ve asked have said they think it’s great I do that. Then they know exactly how I want the bags packed so it makes their job easier.

Anyone have Kohl's that have self-check outs? I noticed a few months back the one I go to more frequently installed those I can't remember exactly how many but it was at least 3 or 4. They converted lesser used regular check outs to self check outs.

--->
I have problems with self checkout. I don't care about the feeling like an employee but the way I have to stand to use them really raises hell with my already stenosis laden spine. Walmart has many flaws. Just the other day I wanted to buy some Banana's and the counter had only one almost black overripe banana sadly sitting there. Two or three people had walked up and were upset that they were out of banana's. Guess what, there underneath the counter were 6 large boxes of banana's. I pulled them out and started looking through them for the ones I wanted and as I took out the ones I didn't want, I placed them on that counter. In other words, not only do I have to be my own cashier, there I was stocking their displays for them. I'm waiting for my paycheck to get here.

Last edited:
That's really great! I've heard that their delivery service near my daughter's university is also pretty good. I don't typically use their grocery store because they just don't seem to carry as much as our other area chains. I've heard mixed reviews still on local delivery from the Supercenters. I think my last Walmart order was a laptop, so I decided to just make the drive to the better store for parking lot pickup. That Supercenter just a few miles away though is still a disaster on all levels.
Our local chains have cut way back too. I have been running around town trying to find Ball Park brand fully cooked hamburger patties. My grocery store used to carry them. Then they stopped. Now the other grocery store I shop at has dropped them. Not sure what is going on, I don't care what brand, NOBODY carries fully cooked hamburger patties anymore. They carry fully cooked chicken patties, fully cooked turkey patties and fully cooked ground turkey burgers, fully cooked salmon patties and full cooked veggie patties, but not beef.
I used to buy them from Schwans, but the closed down all their operations in California.

I remember when Five Below rolled into town and I was surprised that they had nothing but self-checkout, thought they were trying to be all hip and edgy. Well, five years later...they still have the self check kiosks but all of your items must be scanned by an employee and then you take over when it's time to pay.

Anyone have Kohl's that have self-check outs? I noticed a few months back the one I go to more frequently installed those I can't remember exactly how many but it was at least 3 or 4. They converted lesser used regular check outs to self check outs.

I noticed them at the Kohls near me early this summer. I haven’t used them yet, but then again, I haven’t been in Kohls since I was shopping for Father’s Day. :laughing:

Yes, I noticed a few weeks ago. The store was empty and one lonely cashier was waiting for customers. I had a 30% off code and a $25 gift card and I wasn’t sure if self checkout would accept them so I went to the staffed register.

She said you can use such items at the self CO’s.

Here in the UK we much prefer the hand held self scanning method.
Walk around the supermarket, scan and pack everything as you want.
At the checkout, scan the terminal, pay and leave.
Need a quick ok from the nearby supervisor if you are buying alcohol and, very rarely, a spot check.
No queuing!

ford family

THIS is what I want, everywhere. Only load into my cart once, then into my car when I am done.

FWIW, Walmart is not prevalent around me. I mean, we have them every 15 - 20 miles or so, but there are 3 - 4 Targets between you and them and Target is so much better. Walmart is reserved for food on the way to the cabin and socks for the giant people in my house. I have always abhorred their checkout lines, their tiny, flimsy plastic bags for hauling stuff, and the way the place always gives me the creeps. Self checkout, cashier checkout, IDC - Walmart sucks.

I can’t stand all of the self checkouts that move so slowly at Walmart. I haven’t been in a Walmart in years because it’s always so stressful and traumatizing. I shop 95% of the time online. Groceries and Target. On the rare occasion I go into target I do self checkout but it moves quickly and they do have registers open too. I despise going into stores to shop so it doesn’t happen often.

My local Aldi does not have self checkout and I’ve never waited more than 5 minutes to check out. It’s super fast and no complaints. Since the store is smaller I can get a bunch of stuff very quickly.

Our local chains have cut way back too. I have been running around town trying to find Ball Park brand fully cooked hamburger patties. My grocery store used to carry them. Then they stopped. Now the other grocery store I shop at has dropped them. Not sure what is going on, I don't care what brand, NOBODY carries fully cooked hamburger patties anymore. They carry fully cooked chicken patties, fully cooked turkey patties and fully cooked ground turkey burgers, fully cooked salmon patties and full cooked veggie patties, but not beef.
I used to buy them from Schwans, but the closed down all their operations in California.

While it's not something that's been on my shopping list, I decided to look around at our local stores. It looks like H-E-B offers fully cooked hamburger patties. $10.39 for six 3oz patties. I don't think they ship, but it could be worth a look.

1726232782296.png

If you have a membership, Sam's could be an option. 12 4oz patties for around $18.98.

1726232898248.png

Now, I'm guessing this is what you normally bought...

1726232992331.png

I found them at several stores online, but I don't think any of the chains are in CA...with the possible exception of Dollar General. They supposedly offer delivery, but I'm not sure how far nor do I full trust buying food items like this from them. I'm sure it's fine, but I get a little spooked buying regular food at dollar stores.

Yes, I noticed a few weeks ago. The store was empty and one lonely cashier was waiting for customers. I had a 30% off code and a $25 gift card and I wasn’t sure if self checkout would accept them so I went to the staffed register.

She said you can use such items at the self CO’s.
That's exactly why I didn't use self-check out either the last time I went! I was sorta in a hurry so I didn't think to ask the cashier if I could use the coupon there but glad to hear you can.

THIS is what I want, everywhere. Only load into my cart once, then into my car when I am done.
I like the idea of the "scan as you shop" method, and have thought so for years. BUT, wouldn't that make it even easier for shoplifters, more so than the self scan checkouts?

I like the idea of the "scan as you shop" method, and have thought so for years. BUT, wouldn't that make it even easier for shoplifters, more so than the self scan checkouts?
One of the grocery stores in my area have self scanners (which are great IMO. Makes the shopping process so much easier) and occasionally when you are ready to check out, the system will audit you. That means that an employee will come and rescan 10 or so items you scanned to make sure you scanned them. I guess it's somewhat a deterrent for theft as you don't know when the audits will happen. This same store also has cameras placed above the self checkouts, similar to Walmart and Aldi self check out.

One of the grocery stores in my area have self scanners (which are great IMO. Makes the shopping process so much easier) and occasionally when you are ready to check out, the system will audit you. That means that an employee will come and rescan 10 or so items you scanned to make sure you scanned them. I guess it's somewhat a deterrent for theft as you don't know when the audits will happen.

The Tops chain that has the scan as you shop does the same thing, random audits. It seems to work fine, they have expanded to all stores in our region within the last 2 years. And promote it with in store signage. BJs has also started using this method. Although their system seems to have some glitches, it’s only worked once in the 3 times I used it.

I can’t stand all of the self checkouts that move so slowly at Walmart. I haven’t been in a Walmart in years because it’s always so stressful and traumatizing. I shop 95% of the time online. Groceries and Target. On the rare occasion I go into target I do self checkout but it moves quickly and they do have registers open too. I despise going into stores to shop so it doesn’t happen often.

My local Aldi does not have self checkout and I’ve never waited more than 5 minutes to check out. It’s super fast and no complaints. Since the store is smaller I can get a bunch of stuff very quickly.
We have very few stores to shop at in our area. Super Walmart, Aldi's, Giant, and Save a Lot.

I shop Walmart and Aldi's every week. I use nothing but self check out. Aldi's has 5 of them, and very rarely has a regular check out open unless a customer asks for one.

Our Walmart has a lot of self check out registers and they move a lot faster than the few registers that have cashiers. I prefer Walmart over the other stores because I can just scan and set things at the end to bag when done, or bag them as I go along without having to do each item and bag them one at a time like I have to do at Giant. I've used the scan and go as I go around the store, but I find too many price mistakes and end up having to have them corrected before I can check out.

Love Winco. They checkout and I get to bag my groceries. It’s the best of both worlds. If Walmart* adopted Winco’s checkout model, checking out would be a lot faster.

Retailers rolling back on self checkout is due to high theft. The reason they were implemented in the first place was to save on labor costs and companies invested multi-millions in the technology.

While it's not something that's been on my shopping list, I decided to look around at our local stores. It looks like H-E-B offers fully cooked hamburger patties. $10.39 for six 3oz patties. I don't think they ship, but it could be worth a look.

View attachment 894196

If you have a membership, Sam's could be an option. 12 4oz patties for around $18.98.

View attachment 894198

Now, I'm guessing this is what you normally bought...

View attachment 894200

I found them at several stores online, but I don't think any of the chains are in CA...with the possible exception of Dollar General. They supposedly offer delivery, but I'm not sure how far nor do I full trust buying food items like this from them. I'm sure it's fine, but I get a little spooked buying regular food at dollar stores.
Ball park's website correctly listed a chain, Smart and Final, that carries them. But the store says they have been discontinued. I have not heard back from Ball Park if that is true. I'm surprised Walmart doesn't carry them if Sams does. I had a Sam's club member ship decades ago, let it expire.

Ball park's website correctly listed a chain, Smart and Final, that carries them. But the store says they have been discontinued. I have not heard back from Ball Park if that is true. I'm surprised Walmart doesn't carry them if Sams does. I had a Sam's club member ship decades ago, let it expire.

They still have the patties on their website, so it may just be a matter of which regions/markets are still stocking them.

https://www.ballparkbrand.com/patties

I used their "Where to Buy" page and found that it's strictly Dollar General carrying them in my area (as well as a small area chain called Fiesta).

https://www.ballparkbrand.com/where-to-buy

The ones at Sam's are a different brand, so that could be why. We ended our Sam's membership when they closed down the brand new location nearest to our house. It was a really nice store that stocked the staples as well as some nicer items. After it closed, we were stuck with a really bad location that didn't carry everything. That's when we really took notice of how product overlap between Walmart and Sam's really hinges on location. We shifted to Costco once our membership year was up.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest