Super bowl. Andy Reid and Travis Kelse

I think there are a lot of people who never watch professional sports who are appalled, but for those of us that do, this was just common place. Coaches scream at players, players scream at players, both scream at refs. Please don't watch hockey, they fight!

It was caught on camera and then shown several times in slow motion. Had it not been Kelce, we probably would have never seen it. I saw other players yelling at other coaches during the game, it just doesn't get the attention. Tom Brady was once caught telling a coach of another team to go F himself. His response, "it's football". Reid said he apologized, it's between them.

Let's just say there's a reason they don't mic up players on the field. You'd have to bleep out a lot of what is said.
I don't doubt there's a lot flying in the heat of the moment, not for a minute. The physicality of this is what takes it out of the norm. I have no doubt the Swift mania was the specific reason there was a guaranteed camera at the ready to capture the moment. I've seen players losing their minds on the sidelines many times, coaches too. I've never seen a player do more than get up in a coach's grill before.

Are there extra cameras on SB Sunday? My bet is yep. Were there cameras specifically assigned to capture anything noteworthy on the specific Swift front? Yep. I don't think Swift mania is the only reason the moment got airtime.

I think there are a lot of people who never watch professional sports who are appalled, but for those of us that do, this was just common place. Coaches scream at players, players scream at players, both scream at refs. Please don't watch hockey, they fight!

It was caught on camera and then shown several times in slow motion. Had it not been Kelce, we probably would have never seen it. I saw other players yelling at other coaches during the game, it just doesn't get the attention. Tom Brady was once caught telling a coach of another team to go F himself. His response, "it's football". Reid said he apologized, it's between them.
Sorry, I can't recall watching a single game where a player got close enough to a Head Coach(this isn't some ordinary coordinator) that it set him off balance, or made contact for that matter. NEVER. Lack of control loses more games than adrenaline wins....

Sorry, I can't recall watching a single game where a player got close enough to a Head Coach(this isn't some ordinary coordinator) that it set him off balance, or made contact for that matter. NEVER. Lack of control loses more games than adrenaline wins....
For what it's worth, Andy's probably one of the easiest head coaches to knock over in the NFL. ;) Most of them these days are only a few years older that Kelce.

For what it's worth, Andy's probably one of the easiest head coaches to knock over in the NFL. ;) Most of them these days are only a few years older that Kelce.
Interesting. I didn't know that.

I've been trying to remember way, way back when I was a kid and my dad was watching FB. Can't imagine the aftermath of this kind of incident if the coach was Tom Landry or John Madden back in the olden days.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

I've been trying to remember way, way back when I was a kid and my dad was watching FB. Can't imagine the aftermath of this kind of incident if the coach was Tom Landry or John Madden back in the olden days.
More than half of the head coaches right now are under 45 years old. With Belichek and Pete Carroll's firings this year, Andy Reid is now the oldest head coach at 65.

Honestly, Madden might have just hit Kelce back when he was coaching. Landry, not so much - he was too buttoned up for that.

Sidelines would be complete mayhem if this was truly representative of the way things work. Just doesn't hold water for me.
Sidelines are mayhem, especially when it's a big game and your team is having problems getting down the field on offense!
I've seen players get in Mike Tomlin's face and he just sits there- stone cold. I've also seen Tomlin trip another team's player on a field, they all have their crazy moments they probably wish they could have back.

Lack of control loses more games than adrenaline wins....
Oooh, I love that quote!!

I definitely think Kielce was out of line, and if it didn't mean risking the Super Bowl win (and losing the extra viewers brought in by "the Taylor effect") I would have expected the coach to bench or eject him.

But I also blame the game itself. - I feel like football brings out/encourages aggressive behavior, and I can't decide whether that's one of the reasons I don't like it, or whether it's a necessary outlet for people to channel their aggression in an "acceptable" way.

Reactions: GAN
More than half of the head coaches right now are under 45 years old. With Belichek and Pete Carroll's firings this year, Andy Reid is now the oldest head coach at 65.

Honestly, Madden might have just hit Kelce back when he was coaching. Landry, not so much - he was too buttoned up for that.
Madden was definitely volatile, but I can't guess if he would or wouldn't. Landry, no way. Of course his mystique would have been something like a player having the temerity to even try it would have instantly turned into a pillar of salt or something without even a flicker of reaction from Landry.

Not football, but the idea of Bobby Knight in the scenario conjures up an absolute brawl breaking out.

Nobody would care about this a year ago when he wasn't dating Taylor Swift.
It's really that common for players to lash out physically at the coaches these days? It's not that he got up in his grill and screamed at him. It's the physicality that took me back.

This isn't grade school, high school, or even college football. These are grown men and it's their job. I'm sure Kelce was pissed b/c the team wasn't playing great and the coaches were sending in plays that weren't working. It was the heat of the moment and he was mad. Now do I expect a 10th grade kid going up to his coach and doing this? Absolutely not, but then again, that kid isn't making millions of dollars to do his job, which is to block the opposing team so his own player can run the ball. And that coach was never going to bench Kelce to make a point or put him in time out, this isn't the way it works. And I highly doubt ANY player stops and thinks "oh no, I need to be a better roll model while I'm on the field" while they're playing. They guy wasn't worried or thinking about that, and if you were playing in the Super Bowl and your team was losing, you wouldn't be thinking it either.

It's really that common for players to lash out physically at the coaches these days? It's not that he got up in his grill and screamed at him. It's the physicality that took me back.
Tyreek Hill took a swing at a WR coach years ago.

This year Dre Greenlaw (49ers) made physical contact with a member of the Eagles Security team as they were yelling at one another. Greenlaw and the security guy were at least ejected for it because it happened directly in front of the refs.

This isn't grade school, high school, or even college football. These are grown men and it's their job. I'm sure Kelce was pissed b/c the team wasn't playing great and the coaches were sending in plays that weren't working. It was the heat of the moment and he was mad. Now do I expect a 10th grade kid going up to his coach and doing this? Absolutely not, but then again, that kid isn't making millions of dollars to do his job, which is to block the opposing team so his own player can run the ball. And that coach was never going to bench Kelce to make a point or put him in time out, this isn't the way it works. And I highly doubt ANY player stops and thinks "oh no, I need to be a better roll model while I'm on the field" while they're playing. They guy wasn't worried or thinking about that, and if you were playing in the Super Bowl and your team was losing, you wouldn't be thinking it either.

I wouldn't expect any of those repercussions in the situation, particularly SB. I honestly expected, and I think I said it immediately after it happened, uh oh, somebody's getting fined in the morning, win or lose. I fully expected the team to fine him, not the league.

No kidding. Last game I went to, a player had a tooth knocked out and the crew had to scrape up and resurface the ice for the blood.

Honestly, when I saw this "push," I thought it was Kelce trying to get Reid's attention through the headphones by grabbing his arm and forgetting that he was wearing shoulder pads/a chest plate

Tyreek Hill took a swing at a WR coach years ago.

This year Dre Greenlaw (49ers) made physical contact with a member of the Eagles Security team as they were yelling at one another. Greenlaw and the security guy were at least ejected for it because it happened directly in front of the refs.
Any official repercussions?

If ambulance chasing gets too competitive for attorneys, I'd humbly recommend the wide open vistas in the burgeoning market of employment law available in the NFL. Hostile workplace? Class action? Simple acceptance of the concept that displeasure over your business decisions subjects you to the whims and moods of 200-lb plus pro athletes run amuck?

This was my thought - a lot of people must not watch as much as a lot of other people do. I didn't even give it a second thought because that is how these high-intensity sports go. Pumped up, adrenaline running, screaming going on. If Reid had thought it out of line, he would have handled it.

Any official repercussions?

If ambulance chasing gets too competitive for attorneys, I'd humbly recommend the wide open vistas in the burgeoning market of employment law available in the NFL. Hostile workplace? Class action? Simple acceptance of the concept that displeasure over your business decisions subjects you to the whims and moods of 200-lb plus pro athletes run amuck?
Well I mean Tyreek was traded from a Super Bowl contender and winning team to the Miami Dolphins. Hill has also been investigated for domestic assault and never suspended. He’s been fined a few times for other things but I don’t think he got anything for what he did to his coach.

Dre Greenlaw who made physical contact with the Eagles security guy this year was playing in the Super Bowl until he tore his Achilles. He was fined $11,000 for the tackle that led to the altercation, not the altercation itself.

Not a great look - shouldn't have happened. It didn't appear Kelce intentionally made contact. Seems like Reid and Kelce have moved on already, which ultimately is the most important part. I'm pretty sure there are far worse things going on in the sports world than this, but some folks need to bring it up for more and more conversation that goes round and round. For some reason conversation about Travis seems to be popular these days, either positive or negative!!

Moving on to baseball season........!!

Not a great look - shouldn't have happened. It didn't appear Kelce intentionally made contact. Seems like Reid and Kelce have moved on already, which ultimately is the most important part. I'm pretty sure there are far worse things going on in the sports world than this, but some folks need to bring it up for more and more conversation that goes round and round. For some reason conversation about Travis seems to be popular these days, either positive or negative!!

Moving on to baseball season........!!
How bout them Braves 🥰

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter