Stroller vs Wheelchair

Karalynn

Mouseketeer
Hi all! My dd is 5 with cp and is not able to walk. She has a wheelchair she uses for school, but I mostly use her stroller since it is more convienent. So any pro's vs con's anyone has would be very helpful. Also, I was thinking of getting a jogging stroller, not that I"LL be jogging! Lol Are there any drawbacks to this type of stroller on rides at disney? Thanks!!!!! :wave2:

I don't have a lot of time right now, but here's a few things I thought of off the top of my head:
- Jogging strollers with the large front wheel that doesn't swivel are good for jogging, but not very manouverable in crowds. To turn, you have to actually lift the front tire off the ground a bit and "bump" it to turn. Many times in WDW, you need to make small quick turns to avoid things like people stopped a head of you, etc.
- Jogging strollers are usually still fairly long and bulky when folded and some are cumbersome to fold.
- When sitting in a jogging stroller, the rider is usually tilted back a bit. Some people don't like that sensation (my DD would lean forward to compensate), so you might want to try one out before buying if you can.
- Since jogging strollers are longer than regular strollers, there are some rides where your child would be able to stay in a wheelchair and be loaded onto a special wheelchair car (this isn't a problem if your child can transfer out).
- Wheelchairs can be tied down on the buses (because they are more sturdy). Strollers can't be unless they are made for transport. (This isn't a problem unless you are planning on usinng the WDW buses).

You will probably need a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) to use a stroller in linnes. A wheelchair should be recognized as a mobility device by the CMs, so they will allow it to be used in lines. Many special needs strollers look very much like regular strollers.

:cool1: :banana: :cool1: :banana: :cool1: :banana: :cool1:

Hooray Hooray for SUE!! Even though she didn't have the time, she came out with a great response!!!

Thanks to you Sue for the time you spend answering everyones questions!!!

:jumping1: :jumping1: :jumping1:

:disrocks:

One point I wanted to mention. I've seen people with the GAC that says stroller used as wheel chair. They have been denied access to the wheel chair sections at parades. I saw this happen at the MK for one of the parades. I'm not sure if that is a rule or not, but i noticed it happened to a person at the park.

Just something to think about, maybe someone else more familiar with this particular GAC statement could comment on if that is policy or an unfortunate incedent.

Connie

If you plan on going on any rides that require a mobility device to be strapped down, you will be required to be in a wheelchair, not a stroller, if you plan on taking the mobility device on the ride vehicle, as opposed to transferring.

(Kilimanjaro Safaris comes to mind most readily, but that happens to be the attraction I work at most frequently). Strollers don't really have good tie down points, and most strollers aren't built strongly enough to take the stress of being tied down. (obviously, for safety sake, the mobility device has to be strapped down very securely)

With regards to the "Stroller as Wheelchair" GAC, and parade viewing, although I have worked parade control at MK, I was never assigned to work one of the wheelchair seating areas, so I don't have any personal experience.

The car wreck that caused my paraplegia happened when I was 6. If my mother had EVER put me in a stroller I would have been humiliated. Something to consider.

LindsayDunn228 said:
The car wreck that caused my paraplegia happened when I was 6. If my mother had EVER put me in a stroller I would have been humiliated. Something to consider.

Respectfully I can understand your outlook on that, but my daughter is 'just' 5 years old and weighs about 31lbs. Most of our 'outings' are in her stroller (maclaren special needs which is breaking down, I thought a jogging stroller would look less 'babyish') and we use her wheelchair for transportation to school. She doesn't seem to mind being in a stroller. I know this won't be an option for her in a few years but for now its fine. Obviously I'm thinking of ease for me. She is little enough for us to transfer to rides, and fold up the stroller for the bus rides. I have never been to disney with her, stroller or wheelchair so this is why I've posted this question. In 'real' life here in Massachusetts, the stroller works better for us as I have to breakdown the wheelchair and heave it up into my trunk to go anywhere with it. Eventually, a van with a lift will be ideal, but not in the budget right now!

The tips from Sue are great, also re: the preferred seating at parades. I don't think I would utilize that perk at this age with her. Like I said, she is 5 and little enough where we can put her on our shoulders or sit with her for fireworks, etc. I would rather see older kids/adults use those precious spaces. Thank you everyone for your help!

SyracuseWolvrine said:
If you plan on going on any rides that require a mobility device to be strapped down, you will be required to be in a wheelchair, not a stroller, if you plan on taking the mobility device on the ride vehicle, as opposed to transferring.

What types of rides is this possible? I have some concerns as to her being able to ride certain rides even if she meets the height requirements. Will the CMs tell us if they feel she should not be able to go on a ride if it is too rough for her? She doesn't have wonderful trunk support. She can hold her head up and sit up by herself, but can be a bit floppy. I obviously would be right next to her holding/arm around her or have her sandwiched between my husband and myself.

I guess my question is, how many rides would let you take the chair on? This obviously would be the safest way. I just assumed it was for like boat rides, or theater type attractions?

Thanks!!!! :goodvibes

Disney Bumfords said:
:cool1: :banana: :cool1: :banana: :cool1: :banana: :cool1:

Hooray Hooray for SUE!! Even though she didn't have the time, she came out with a great response!!!

Thanks to you Sue for the time you spend answering everyones questions!!!

:jumping1: :jumping1: :jumping1:

:disrocks:

:) :flower: :)

LindsayDunn228 said:

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

I guess it really depends on the abilities of the person. But I agree with the wheelchair instead of a stroller if you are capable of pushing the chair yourself or using an electric chair.

It's a very rare occasion when I let someone help out by pushing my chair. It's got to be one of those tip over backwards hills or some such. Don't lay a hand on my chair unless you plan on losing it. To me my wheelchair puts me on the same footing as anyone else. I go where I want to when I want to.

First, for the question regarding the special viewing areas, I have heard people who have used it with special needs strollers and others who were asked to not use the area with special needs strollers. It may depend on the CM and/or how busy it is. I do know that in some cases, because of bars, ropes or chains across the area, your child's view might be obstructed. We don't usually use them because you need to get there early and stay put (which my DD doesn't like) and if it's busy, they do limit access to the person with a disability plus one other.
Karalynn said:
SyracuseWolvrine said:

What types of rides is this possible? I have some concerns as to her being able to ride certain rides even if she meets the height requirements. Will the CMs tell us if they feel she should not be able to go on a ride if it is too rough for her? She doesn't have wonderful trunk support. She can hold her head up and sit up by herself, but can be a bit floppy. I obviously would be right next to her holding/arm around her or have her sandwiched between my husband and myself.

I guess my question is, how many rides would let you take the chair on? This obviously would be the safest way. I just assumed it was for like boat rides, or theater type attractions?

Thanks!!!! :goodvibes
My DD got her first wheelchair when she was 2 and 1/2. It was suggested that we get a special needs stroller, but I thought she could have at least some independence in a wheelchair and would have none in a stroller. So, by the time she was 3, she could drive a manual wheelchair quite well (although not long distances).

These are rides where a wheelchair (but not a stroller) can be tied down like SyracuseWolvrine mentioned:
Kilimanjari Safari at AK
Backlot Tour at the Studio

Some rides have a place where the wheelchair fits, but it isn't really tied down. If she was in a jogging stroller, that would probably be too long to fit in the area where the wheelchair fits. Plus, a stroller would be lower than a wheelchair, so her view might be very obstructed.

She could stay in a stroller (either jogging or other) for most shows, but a stroller sits considerably lower than a wheelchair, which may affect her ability to see. For the shows where wheelchair users sit in the back, you may be best off holding her on your lap. (I'm not listing shows).
MK: Could stay in a wheelchair for these rides.
  • Railroad
  • Magic Carpets of Aladdin. I don't ride this with my DD(I don't do spinning), but I think they tie the wheelchair down. At any rate, a stroller would be too low.
  • Liberty Square Riverboat
  • Small World. The floor has "bumps" and depressions formed in it to help secure a wheelchair. A jogging stroller would probably not hit at the right spots to stay in the depressions in these boats.
  • Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Stroller would be too low and might be too long.
  • We have not been on the Jungle Cruise since they added the wheelchair boat.
Epcot
  • El Rio del Tiempo (boat ride in Mexico). Same type of boat as in Small World.
  • Ellen's Energy Adventure. Stoller would probably be too long and would be too low.
  • Living Seas and Innoventions are walk thru attractions where either a stroller or wheelchair would work.
  • Imagination. Stroller would be too low and might be too long.
  • Living with the Land. Boat ride, jogging stroller would probably be too long.
Studios
  • Great Movie Ride. Some wheelchairs are too long to fit, so a jogging stroller would probably not fit.
AK
  • Wildlife Express Train. Jogging stroller might be too long.
  • TriceraTop Spin. Same kind of car as Aladdin, so stroller would be a problem.
My DD has CP, she has spasticity in her legs, arms and back, but she has low tone in her upper trunk. She has pretty good head control, but can't sit securely in a moving vehicle withoutn a lot of support. SHe has ridden on everything at WDW except Space Mountain, Rock N Roller Coaster and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. We provide a lot of "sandwiching" her between DH and I. The only ride I would not take her on again is Primeval Whirl at AK. That one looked pretty tame on the ground, but between the spinning and the roller coaster, she was thrown around a lot and almost came out under the restraint by the end of the ride.
Star Tours at the Studio is rough, but they do have a 4 point harness on request and even though she gets pretty shaken up, DD likes it.

The CMs won't stop you from taking your child on anything they are tall enough to go on. The can answer questions for you about how "tame" the ride is, but you need to decide for yourself whether it is suitable or not. All the wilder rides do have warnings on the park maps and at signs when you get into line and before boarding. You can send another member of your party on before your DD to get an idea of whether or not it would be good for her.

Thanks Sue for such awesome info!!! :cheer2:

My dd is definately a daredevil! The more wild the ride the better! I worried she would feel left out if there were alot of things she couldn't go on. We had a pretty bad experience at six flags two years ago. Granted she was only 3, and we were in toon town, but no one would let her ride anything! We've had better luck at fairs with ds riding w/ her thank goodness! I figure if there is something that looks too rough that ds wants to go on and she can't, ie tower of terror, we can go have a special treat or ride another ride a second time while they are on their ride.

As for the wheelchair vs stroller, Its looking like the wheelchair would be best. I haven't gotten the jogger yet, which is why I originally posted, to see if it was worth it. Her wheelchair will be better positioning for her as well as having the tray. Now.... on to the ? of flying? Where do they store the chair during flights? Do they check it in baggage? Does it depend on the airline? We don't have a flight yet, so I will of course check with the airline we book with.

Thanks again!!!

Karalynn said:
Now.... on to the ? of flying? Where do they store the chair during flights? Do they check it in baggage? Does it depend on the airline? We don't have a flight yet, so I will of course check with the airline we book with.

Thanks again!!!
I'll reply more tomorrow, but wanted to tell you that you can gate check a wheelchair or, if they have a closet on the flight that it will fit in, the wheelchair can be placed in the closet (even if it means that the first class passengers don't get to store their stuff there).

I just wanted to add to what some others have said which would make the chair an advantage over the stroller. My son has a medical stroller\wheelchair and something I didn't really think of until I read it in the thread that was an advantage to us was the ability to let him use his chair as a seat on the Safari and on a boat trip that we took. He is most comfortable there so they just straped the chair down and he had his own seat. I didn't realize (or think about) the fact that you wouldn't be able to do this with a stroller.

As someone else said gate checks are very easy and very common on airplanes. You just tell them at the gate that you want to gate check the chair and they will put a ticket in it and you will get the other half and it will be waiting out side of the plane doors when you arrive.

One other thought I had that may or may not be a concern for you is that if you use a chair when you go in the lines for wheel chair access or bring it in a show where strollers are not allowed you won't have to hassel with showing your GAC and explaining to every CM you see that you are using the stroller as a wheel chair.

Mike

Mike

Have you considered the Convaid Cruiser?

Our DS is 6 and uses it to go just about everywhere. We also use a jogger for "offroad" adventures.

It has the convenience of a stroller, but the support of a wheelchair. We used the Cruiser at the park last year and didn't have any problems using the accessible lines.

We also recently added an Aspen Seating shell for even more support. It's very nice. Check on the website (Google "Aspen Seating", I can't post the link) to see it in action on Splash Mountain (that's not us). We'll be testing that in Oct!

:wave2:

you can also stay in your wheel chair for Buzz lightyear, CoP, TimeKeeper...and all of the other shows.......

Hmmmm, wonder if I should type a list out for this, how wheelchairs work on each attraction....

We tried Chris's ECV (scootie) at Epcot on our first day but we didnt again. It was way too slow and we were constantly looking for her and she couldnt steer it around all those people and pay attention to the scenary and the road at the same time. It was the cause of a melt down.

We put her in the stroller (Convaid Convertable) the rest of the trip. She hates it (no independence, shes 10) but there were few complaints. I loved having it. We were able to roll it onto many rides but it was just as easy to take her out of it.

Edited to add:
I appologize wholeheartedly- It was really late and I forget that you guys dont have the story (or may not have read previous posts). I did not mean to offend, I was just not thinking

I am just the babysitter/close family friend- not the mother. I do not have say.

I HATE THE STROLLER but between our scooter and the stroller it was our only option. I HATE THE STROLLER and I have hated it since the moment I met them (five years ago). They refuse to get a power chair that will fit in the car and she doesnt have the range of motion for a manual chair. I HATE THE STROLLER (I will try to find posts from a few weeks ago complaining about it) but it became our "only" option. They should have an accessible van (they should have a lot of things) but their goal is to make their daughter completely dependent on them :sad2:.

I was very insensitive in the above post and I am sorry- It was our situation and our situation only and there were fewer tears (due to her mother's screaming and beratement that she is not paying attention or going too slowly...) when she was in the storller. I am SURE that you guys would never treat your children like this mother treats her daughters. :sad2:

Forevryoung,

I'd be pissed if I was your daughter too! Being stranded in a stroller and not being able to move on your own?!?! What the....??!! Why not use a wheelchair? At least she could freaking move if she wanted to!!!!

Forevryoung,

I'm not sure what your daughters situation is so please forgive any blatent assumptions on my part. But I agree with Lindsay, to me being confined like that is very frustrating. I know if I had a choice of going to WDW and not being in control of myself or staying home I'd stay home. To me being wheeled around in a stoller would be the equivilent of tying you down into a chair and having that chair carried wherever someone else wanted to go. Sure you'd see WDW but you probably wouldn't be happy.

I think the difference of opinion here is between those in the wheelchair vs those outside of it. If you're inside you want all the independence you can get. If you're outside you want what you think is best for your child.

One other thing, Lindsay and I are both paraplegics. We're normal healthy people from the waist up. So there are no other disabilities involved(I'm assuming this for Lindsay). Speaking for myself I prefer to be treated as normally as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter