SSR Lovers and Owners Part 4

Interesting thought.

Assuming that I'm staying at Congress Park, I wonder if it's quicker to take a bus to the Theme Parks from Disney Springs as opposed to taking the main Bus at Carriage House.
As mentioned there's no direct bus to theme parks from Disney Springs, however, I often use Disney Springs to get to and from theme parks rather than take the resort busses at SSR. Not that they're necessarily quicker, but just that I enjoy having a lot less crowds on the busses from Springs earlier in the afternoon/late morning, and I often enjoy taking alternative transportation methods into the parks.

If going to MK or DHS, I'll take a bus to Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary, sometimes Polynesian - then take the boat to MK, or from Contemporary, just walk over. If going to Epcot, I'll take the DS bus to Beach or Boardwalk, and walk into Epcot via the Int'l Gateway. Since I like boats, it's a nice way to start off my theme park day. Coming back from the parks, ESPECIALLY when there to closing and fireworks, the bus stops at the theme parks back to resorts are super-crowded, so I will use the same technique to get back to Saratoga - walk to Beach/Boardwalk from Epcot or DHS, or to Contemporary from MK, hop the Disney Springs bus, and walk back to Congress Park.

If you book the room via Disney’s regular hotel website, you’ll get daily housekeeping.

If you book the room on points, or with someone else’s points, the official policy is this:

In practice, a lot of people find themselves getting refreshed towels more frequently than every 4 days, but it’s not a guarantee. They also vacuum on day 4 and replenish any of the consumables you may have exhausted.

It’s not clear if additional services are available for purchase; currently online it says no, but some people have reported seeing signs in other WDW resorts dated 2024 with pricing. It was definitely available prior to the Covid shutdown. I haven’t seen anyone here actually try to get it.

I'm staying for 8 nights and paid through the website but don't have or use DVC points. Good thing that there is daily housekeeping. I'm used to it but always love coming back to the room where everything is all cleaned up.

GETTING AROUND

People have this impression that the transportation situation is bad at SSR, perhaps because its laid out like a moderate resort? In reality, transportation at SSR is pretty good. It never shares buses, the buses come frequently because of the resort’s size, there’s boats to multiple other resorts and tons of places to eat, and it’s an absolute dream if you have a car – you can park right outside your building, and drive to the
parks, to The Carriage House, to Universal or Sea World (or Fun Spot Kissimmee!), and parking is generally plentiful.

Disney Springs

Multiple walking paths are available to Disney Springs. The official path to Disney Springs is found at the end of Congress Park, and connects to the Marketplace area. It is open whenever Disney Springs is open. During daylight hours, Disney also allows people to walk along the cart paths to Disney Springs on the other end of the resort; a cart path crosses the Sassagoula River from between Treehouses 7030 and 7031, another crosses south of the Carriage House; you will then walk around the edge of the Strawberry parking lot until you reach the West Side entrance.

You can also take a boat to Disney Springs, the boats depart from near the Carriage House, and currently only stop on the Marketplace side of Disney Springs. For guests in the easternmost buildings at Saratoga Springs, it will be less walking to simply walk to Disney Springs via the Marketplace path. The boats use the BLUE flags.

Finally, you can take a bus to Disney Springs. These buses start at The Springs, then head to The Grandstand, The Carousel, The Paddock, and Congress Park, before heading to Disney Springs. Note that this is a different order than other buses take. Because this bus starts at The Springs, you can use it as internal transportation back to your room from the Carriage House or High Rock Spring Pool!

Old Key West

Old Key West is accessible on foot from Saratoga Springs during daylight hours. The “Saratoga Springs Nature Trail” is approximately a 1 mile walk along the Lake Buena Vista golf course. It is prohibited to walk on the trail after dusk. Alternatively, one can take walk or a boat to Disney Springs and transfer there to Old Key West; these boats typically run for several hours after sundown, check the Disney World app for exact times.

Port Orleans

One can choose take a boat to Port Orleans Riverside or Port Orleans French Quarter from the Disney Springs Marketplace; the dock is approximately a 1 minute walk from the edge of Saratoga Springs property.

Theme Parks and Water Parks

The rest of Walt Disney World is accessible by free bus transportation, your personal or rental car, or taxi or ride share.

These buses start at the Grandstand, then move to Carousel, The Paddock, Congress Park, and The Springs before departing to other parks.

If you are staying in a Treehouse, you will need to take a separate bus to the Grandstand bus stop and then transfer to a park bus from there; alternatively you can drive to any other bus stop.

Saratoga Springs never shares buses with other resorts.
Appreciate the detailed update. Will be staying at SSR on a solo trip in March (rented points) Looking forward to a relaxing trip and enjoying the resort's amenities!

(We are a math-y family also!)

How long should I consider leaving the room if I want to get to rope drop at the different theme parks?

Are we talking about physically leaving the room about 75 minutes before rope drop at a particular park?

How long should I consider leaving the room if I want to get to rope drop at the different theme parks?

Are we talking about physically leaving the room about 75 minutes before rope drop at a particular park?
That really depends on your rope drop objectives!

If you’re trying to ride Flight of Passage with no wait, you need to leave much earlier.

If you just want to get into the park so you can ride a bunch of fantasyland dark rides before the off site guests come in, an hour should be fine.

I’m assuming that by rope drop you mean for early entry for Disney hotel guests.

The general recommendation, if you want to be close to the front of the crowd at early entry, is to be at transportation 90 minutes before posted early entry opening time, whether transportation is bus, boat, or Skyliner. Transportation starts running about an hour before, but to be at the front of the line for transportation you need to be there early.

If you’re driving yourself, the parking lots open about one hour before posted opening time. If you get there too early, they might make you leave and come back.

You can find answers to most of your questions in the first post of the Early Entry thread, which is kept very much up to date as changes occur.

I'm staying for 8 nights and paid through the website but don't have or use DVC points. Good thing that there is daily housekeeping. I'm used to it but always love coming back to the room where everything is all cleaned up.
We just got home from a 6 night stay and can confirm daily housekeeping for cash (not dvc points) reservations. The housekeepers did a great job, which hasn't always been our past experience at all Disney resorts. Enjoy!

Has anyone eaten at the Turf Club lately. Supposedly the Chef from Flying Fish went there. Last time we ate there in 2021 it was awful. Everything was so salty. I understand some salt is needed to bring out flavor in the food, but the flavor should not be salt. We really liked the Turf Club back in 2017-2019.

We just got home from a 6 night stay and can confirm daily housekeeping for cash (not dvc points) reservations. The housekeepers did a great job, which hasn't always been our past experience at all Disney resorts. Enjoy!
that's good to hear. I don't have to call to confirm this, which ( nowadays ) is something I need to double check.

Has anyone eaten at the Turf Club lately. Supposedly the Chef from Flying Fish went there. Last time we ate there in 2021 it was awful. Everything was so salty. I understand some salt is needed to bring out flavor in the food, but the flavor should not be salt. We really liked the Turf Club back in 2017-2019.
I had eaten there in 2020 and was not impressed - it had gone downhill and I started leaving it off my list to consider. Then I heard about the changes and decided to give it a try again this February - I found it to be quite good - a huge improvement and back to the quality it had before...now, it's back on my list of places to consider.

I had eaten there in 2020 and was not impressed - it had gone downhill and I started leaving it off my list to consider. Then I heard about the changes and decided to give it a try again this February - I found it to be quite good - a huge improvement and back to the quality it had before...now, it's back on my list of places to consider.
Ooh, I'm staying at SSR for the first time in July (with kids) and the second time in October (sans kids) so that's good to know. I'm on the fence about whether to check it out, probably on the no-kids anniversary trip, or just head on down the river to The Boathouse.

Ooh, I'm staying at SSR for the first time in July (with kids) and the second time in October (sans kids) so that's good to know. I'm on the fence about whether to check it out, probably on the no-kids anniversary trip, or just head on down the river to The Boathouse.
No-kids anniversary trip?

You shouldn't be going to the Boathouse, but booking a dinner at Victoria & Albert for dinner :rolleyes1

We have a grand villa trip the end of Sept. Does anyone happen to know if there is a thermostat on each level? Also, is the stackable washer/dryer an apartment size unit? It has been 6 years since we stayed in the 3-bedroom villa and I don't remember all the details. Not kidding... 6 years ago we were given an upgrade from a 2-bedroom to the grand villa. I loved it!

No-kids anniversary trip?

You shouldn't be going to the Boathouse, but booking a dinner at Victoria & Albert for dinner :rolleyes1
We've done V&A before! I was glad they finally got a Michelin star, because I've eaten at a few other 1- and 2-star restaurants, and V&A was still my favorite meal by far.

We're planning to splurge more on non-dining experiences, like behind-the-scenes tours at MK and DAK, but now you've got me thinking. 😂

We've done V&A before! I was glad they finally got a Michelin star, because I've eaten at a few other 1- and 2-star restaurants, and V&A was still my favorite meal by far.

We're planning to splurge more on non-dining experiences, like behind-the-scenes tours at MK and DAK, but now you've got me thinking. 😂
Whenever I don't have to go out to eat with the kids, I plan to go to high end places that my kids would not go to and restaurants that I've never been to.

Luckily, at the entire DW resort, you have a huge selection of high end restaurants that you can choose from.

I'm laughing at the anniversary discussion because that's exactly what we did last week - splurged on a one bedroom for just the two of us, ate at Victoria and Albert's on our anniversary (first time at V&A), and did some extra tours and activities (cake decorating at Amorette's and Savor the Savanna at AK - we did the cake our first day so we could eat it throughout the week). We were also supposed to do the drone show viewing dinner at Jaleo but DH caught covid so we skipped it so as not to infect anyone - we just stayed in the suite on our last day. Between the heat which kept us inside more than usual and DH getting sick, the extra room in the suite was totally worth it. We had a nice quiet room in paddock with a view of the pond and fountain. It was great.

Hi there! The last time we stayed at SSR the Donald Duck feature in the splash area was not available. Any recent reports if he has returned and is functional?

Hi there! The last time we stayed at SSR the Donald Duck feature in the splash area was not available. Any recent reports if he has returned and is functional?
They had a big refurb on the High Rock Springs pool last year, but should be good now.

FWIW my kids loved the kids play area at the Paddock pool. Its a good spot.

facebook twitter