SSR Lovers and Owners Part 3

How long (on average) is the bus ride from SSR to MK...to Epcot? I just read it can take up to 45 minutes because this resort is farthest from the parks. Thank you!
We were at AKV and SSR last week (so very busy). We all felt the ride from AKV was longer than the ride from SSR to every park except AK. It might have been perception, but it felt that way. SSR you have many stops (depending on which stop you are at), but AKV we had to go to Kidani before Jambo every time we came back from the parks. We were in the Springs and did have a full bus once (standing room only as the last stop before the parks), but generally had good bus service. HTH!

Someone help recommend a good view from a studio for me! I am bringing my brother on his first ever trip to Disney World and I really want it to be as good as possible. We own at SSR but until now have not ever stayed there. I have visited and the grounds are beautiful. What studio rooms have the best or most impressive views? we will have a car so being close to a bus stop isn't very important. Also I have a standard room booked.

Love it! Did you stay there or see the rest of the room? Would love to know if there is a second nightstand on the other side of the bed, and also how comfortable the new 'murphy' sofa is?

I didn’t see it, people have been posting them up on Facebook, various people various sites. Someone obviously did stop there, or it was a cast member.

I’m still waiting to see if it has the mini Murphy under the TV. Should have but with them pushing 2 beds and points allocations, and SSR not forming part of a hotel (dues contribute to hotel running cost based on people in DVC rooms so encourages them to get more people in) I’m not hopeful.

Bike rental question...if we were to decide to rent a bike at SSR, would we be able to (or allowed to?) ride over to Old Key West? We've always meant to go explore at OKW a bit, but never have managed the walk over. I thought renting a bike for the day might be a fun way to visit during out resort-only trip next month.

How long (on average) is the bus ride from SSR to MK...to Epcot? I just read it can take up to 45 minutes because this resort is farthest from the parks. Thank you!

If you just missed a bus it might take 45 minutes, but all resorts do. Once you are on the bus and it is leaving, Epcot is very close around 10 minutes if not less. MK is around 12-14 and AK is closer to 18-20 min. There are 5 bus stops at SSR so this usually adds about 12 minutes if you got on the first stop. ECV’s add more time. OKW has a has 5 bus stops too. Some of the other resorts say their buses are better because they are not stopping at 5 bus stops, but in reality their buses stop at other resorts. Like VGF bus stops at Poly. A little while ago someone did a thread on bus rides an OKW had the shortest average ride to all parks.

We have a standard view studio booked for March 31-April 3rd, (hoping to extend that till the 4th though) and I am wondering which bus stop is the best one for trips to the parks? I am thinking of one that might be middle ways, not the first stop but not the last stop. One that will have other guest on it when we board, but still has room for us to have a seat as well. Is this the correct order of stops?
1. Grandstand, 2. Carousel, 3. Paddock, 4. Congress Park and 5. The Springs? And will a lot of guest combine the Carousel and Paddock stops into one?

Are there some destinations that are just better served by using Uber?

Does anyone have an idea of when the refurb starts at SSR this year and/or which buildings they will start with and the direction they will go with it?

We have a standard view studio booked for March 31-April 3rd, (hoping to extend that till the 4th though) and I am wondering which bus stop is the best one for trips to the parks? I am thinking of one that might be middle ways, not the first stop but not the last stop. One that will have other guest on it when we board, but still has room for us to have a seat as well. Is this the correct order of stops?
1. Grandstand, 2. Carousel, 3. Paddock, 4. Congress Park and 5. The Springs? And will a lot of guest combine the Carousel and Paddock stops into one?

As far as I know, that is still the order of the bus stops. I'm not sure what you mean by guests combining the Carousel and Paddock stops into one. The bus will stop at each. We always stay in the Grandstand, and it is not terribly unusual for the bus to have to skip the last two stops because it filled up at the first three, and it was standing room only for those getting on at the third stop. Personally, I wouldn't try for anything beyond the third stop.

As noted in a previous post, it really doesn't take that long to get to any of the parks once you're out of the resort. Uber would take about as long; it just wouldn't have to make the several bus stops. It would, of course, be most useful for going to another resort, since buses don't go from resort to resort.

Your bus order is correct. As to whether or not guests combine the Paddock and Carousel stops into one, I'm not sure what you mean. Guests typically go to whichever stop is closest to their room, and in some cases with Carousel/Paddock, it might be the other section's stop. The bus driver will stop at every stop in order as long as there's room on the bus and they see people waiting. They will bypass a stop if the bus is completely full or there's no one out waiting for it-- that seemed to happen a lot when we went where no one was waiting at Carousel so we didn't stop.

For us, there were always at least a couple seats left until we got to Springs. There was once when we couldn't take everyone waiting, but every other time we could, though oftentimes many of them had to stand. We stayed at Grandstand and although that meant a slightly longer commute in the mornings, it was great for going home when we were really tired as we were off sooner. Also the buses home at night are always packed (sometimes you have to wait for a second or third bus) and lots of people have to stand. Standing for less time by getting off at Grandstand was also a huge perk.

Uber or other transportation would definitely be beneficial for going to water parks as otherwise you'd have to get to Disney Springs by walking/bus/boat, then take another bus to Typhoon Lagoon and do the reverse to get back. For Blizzard Beach, you have to bus to AK, then take another bus to BB. Also with going to another resort for an ADR, etc, an Uber would be easier so you again don't have to catch multiple buses. Going to the parks never really seemed to take that long once we left the resort. HS and Eocot were closest and if I recall correctly each only took maybe 10 mins. AK and MK seemed to be a toss up for which took longer depending on the traffic, but still probably no more than 15-20 mins each.

Hello I was wondering is there any standard rooms that have views of Disney Springs. I'm a new buyer and will be taking my first trip in 2020. Thanks in advance.

Got the night of the 3rd booked today at SSR. So we are officially booked for March 31st-April 4th in a standard view studio.

That should be a studio, but a dedicated is a one bedroom with a studio attached.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea of when the refurb starts at SSR this year and/or which buildings they will start with and the direction they will go with it?

No one but DVCMC / DVD and the contractors know this yet. There could be some structural work as well, so how long it takes is anyone’s guess, but I’d say at least 18 months.

It was due to origanally start late last year I think, but I can see them putting it back until summer when OKW is then hopefully finished.

All guesses of course.

I’m going Xmas but will try to switch out 7 months as chances of getting a refurb may be slim and I only want to stay there now when refurb is done.

DD is too young to stay up late for fireworks ..but we have enjoyed viewing fireworks from our room at previous stays at boardwalk and dolphin. Can any fireworks be seen from.SSR inside room our outside on property? Thank you!

We were in a top floor room in the Grandstand building closest to the Carriage House. The room faced the parking lot for the Grandstand buildings. We could see the higher fireworks from both Illuminations and Wishes, although they were a fair distance away. It isn't ideal, but it is something. I can't speak to the views from any other buildings, since we've only stayed in Grandstand.

Trying to decide what to request for our May trip. We are usually at BCV when we stay on points so I have little clue as to how far apart things actually are at SSR (and I've gone cross-eyed looking at maps, and reading threads).

Originally I was going to request the Springs area (that pool would work better for our toddler because of the splash pad, and it's closer to Artist Palette). My concern is that it's the last bus stop and I'm seeing above that it's not uncommon for busses to skip the last 2 stops (Congress Park or the Springs where we will be- all that's available for our stay are preferred rooms). This would mean either cramming ourselves (with toddler and umbrella stroller) onto nearly full busses in the morning or possibly having a full bus pull right by us and waiting for another one (which then might also pull up nearly full or pass by us entirely).

Sooooo . . . do we request Congress Park with the hopes that being the 4th stop instead of the last stop will be to our advantage? Is the walk from the Springs area to another (earlier) bus stop prohibitive? How much of a walk is it from Congress Park to the Springs pool?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter