Springtime Surprise Weekend (April 13-16, 2023)

It's interesting, apparently Rival Run weekend was the *least* popular of the four race weekends by attendance, and you can chalk that up to the theme or the weather, or maybe both. However... we never got a chance to have a last in-person SW race due to COVID, and a chance to get a long run through HS is what's motivating me to sign up for this weekend. Hoping RD sees things from that perspective as they plan this stuff out.

I did several of the SW weekends and I think the timing was just off for that theme. Galaxy's Edge didn't open until the last year they ran those, and it was so crowded they couldn't run the course through that area of the park. They also ran the last one BEFORE The Mandalorian exploded on scene. They've since built on that with Boba Fett and Obi-Wan.

I think if done right, they could make up for those missed opportunities and resurrect the Star Wars theme in a far better way than it was executed prior.

And I'm 100% sure if that is the theme, I'm out. I'm not of that generation and it has absolutely no relevance to me. Which makes me wonder if Disney will go with this type of polarizing (either you love it or you have no use for it) theme.
It's the one thing giving me second thoughts on my predictions/hopes. Guardians for the 10k is a good guess bc of the new ride but I'm not sure it would get much interest with the RD community. A general Epcot anniversary theme might work better. Or maybe something around SSE? Maybe a space theme across all three races: Space Mountain, SSE, and SW. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wish they would release distances soon because I'm trying to figure out who is running each race. I want each of my 4 kids to be able to run at lease one race since we will all be down there, but age requirements will dictate which one each can do (my husband and I will do the challenge, thankfully my parents will be with us and will be in charge of any kids not running each day). I'd like to figure out some kind of budget for bibs, but at the same time I really don't want to see that number:scared1::sad:

I'm hopeful that they make announcements next month to give people some time to decide on it. Last year was a tight squeeze coming out of COVID and they were also delayed for whatever reason so this time will be the first on a normal schedule.

I wish they would release distances soon because I'm trying to figure out who is running each race. I want each of my 4 kids to be able to run at lease one race since we will all be down there, but age requirements will dictate which one each can do (my husband and I will do the challenge, thankfully my parents will be with us and will be in charge of any kids not running each day). I'd like to figure out some kind of budget for bibs, but at the same time I really don't want to see that number:scared1::sad:
I’d say last week in July theme/distance will be announced…

For me if the long distance is a 15K or 10 miler I may splurge on the challenge since I’m blocked out of the parks with pirate AP if it’s a half or longer than I’ll try for at least one lower distance

After showing great forbearance in not registering for MW or Princess, I'm now quietly thinking about this one.

If they brought back any kind of Marvel theming I'd jump at it (maybe obviously). I think they have expanded the MCU enough that they can start doing it on the east coast.
I think it would be cute to do some kind of "best buddies" theming, with our favorite BFFs on the medals? Buzz & Woody, Bambi & Thumper, Kim Possible & Ron Stoppable (jk about that one :crazy: )? A relay might be too much to ask for but I would love it!

After showing great forbearance in not registering for MW or Princess, I'm now quietly thinking about this one.

If they brought back any kind of Marvel theming I'd jump at it (maybe obviously). I think they have expanded the MCU enough that they can start doing it on the east coast.
I think it would be cute to do some kind of "best buddies" theming, with our favorite BFFs on the medals? Buzz & Woody, Bambi & Thumper, Kim Possible & Ron Stoppable (jk about that one :crazy: )? A relay might be too much to ask for but I would love it!
I can see a GoTG middle distance theme with Starlord, Gamora maybe groot and than just more “space” themed characters on course like stitch or Jim Hawkins or buzz

Having run all the races and taking multiple trips/year over the last several years, I think I’m out for this one. I was worried about not doing Princess at first but just watched it go by and feel great about saving money and points. Disney greed lately has been really disappointing to me and I’m going to have to start cutting my $$ they get by a decent amount.
I liked the idea last year and had a great time doing the surprise challenge but am thinking I much prefer a half over a 10M. Who knows, maybe they will announce details that are amazing but at the moment DVC points at that time are crazy and flights are generally outrageous as that’s the start of school break here. Pretty sure I’m going to stick with W&D and MW and see how that works

Having run all the races and taking multiple trips/year over the last several years, I think I’m out for this one. I was worried about not doing Princess at first but just watched it go by and feel great about saving money and points. Disney greed lately has been really disappointing to me and I’m going to have to start cutting my $$ they get by a decent amount.
I liked the idea last year and had a great time doing the surprise challenge but am thinking I much prefer a half over a 10M. Who knows, maybe they will announce details that are amazing but at the moment DVC points at that time are crazy and flights are generally outrageous as that’s the start of school break here. Pretty sure I’m going to stick with W&D and MW and see how that works
FWIW it's definitely possible they return to a half marathon for the Sunday race, I can see them switching back and forth depending on theme, but I don't expect that they veer from either of the two longer distances (what else could they feasibly do?). In any case your plan sounds nice, two solid race weekends.

I've signed up for every in person race weekend since they came back, but I am definitely feeling the same as you. I am the only one left in my family of 6 with annual passes, and only because I was doing all the weekends. Tickets and everything else that goes into being at Disney are getting so expensive, we are now booking a bunch of cruises instead (on Royal, not Disney). Starting next race season I'm thinking of doing just Springtime Surprise, and maybe W&D. It is just a LOT of money to shell out a few times a year. And then I end up either using up all the DVC points or having to book a hotel and spending even more money (holy crow I still can't believe I paid $700 for 3 nights at an All Star for Princess this year).

I also held back from princess but considering this one if themimg is worth doing. Add me to the list- Im cutting back the money I funnel to Disney because it is getting out of hand. Without an annual pass it is less tempting to join a race for a weekend. I am also being conservative with my points now- will bank for bigger rooms and bigger trips. I also have two cruises booked instead (also with Royal). Glad Im not the only one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter