Springtime Surprise Weekend (April 13-16, 2023)

I also chose Pop—I’m going regardless of distance/theme
I'm almost the same. I want to go and the theme won't change anything. There is unfortunately a math pentathlon tournament right around the same time and if that hits the same weekend I have to do that instead. :(

Deciding between this weekend and MW 2024, potentially doing both, but def depends on theme/maps. If the longer race is Star Wars related, and therefore likelier to run through GE, I'm probably in. I have low expectations for the 10k/middle length race, assuming it'll be something based in Epcot (I would love to be surprised on this one). Really curious to see if they go with a MK-based 5k, would be a first for that in a pretty long time.

Deciding between this weekend and MW 2024, potentially doing both, but def depends on theme/maps. If the longer race is Star Wars related, and therefore likelier to run through GE, I'm probably in. I have low expectations for the 10k/middle length race, assuming it'll be something based in Epcot (I would love to be surprised on this one). Really curious to see if they go with a MK-based 5k, would be a first for that in a pretty long time.
I have the same consternation in deciding between Princess Half-Marathon and Springtime Surprise. My daughter is in agreement with me that if Springtime Surprise is Star Wars themed, then we'd much rather run Springtime Surprise. For two runners, the half marathon is $440! I recall the announcers talking at the 2022 marathon about bringing back the Tower of Terror Ten Miler because it was the most requested race for runDisney to bring back. I can only imagine that Star Wars is either 1 or 2 in the most requested races, so it seems logical for the Springtime Surprise to be Star Wars themed. Does anybody else concur?

I have the same consternation in deciding between Princess Half-Marathon and Springtime Surprise. My daughter is in agreement with me that if Springtime Surprise is Star Wars themed, then we'd much rather run Springtime Surprise. For two runners, the half marathon is $440! I recall the announcers talking at the 2022 marathon about bringing back the Tower of Terror Ten Miler because it was the most requested race for runDisney to bring back. I can only imagine that Star Wars is either 1 or 2 in the most requested races, so it seems logical for the Springtime Surprise to be Star Wars themed. Does anybody else concur?
I kind of think that since the Star Wars races were pretty recent… sort of in the sense that there has only been one in person Springtime Surprise race weekend in between the last Star Wars and next years…
I would guess that it will be something else.

I loved the Star Wars races. They were really fun, so I wouldn’t be opposed to the theme.

It's interesting, apparently Rival Run weekend was the *least* popular of the four race weekends by attendance, and you can chalk that up to the theme or the weather, or maybe both. However... we never got a chance to have a last in-person SW race due to COVID, and a chance to get a long run through HS is what's motivating me to sign up for this weekend. Hoping RD sees things from that perspective as they plan this stuff out.

I kind of think that since the Star Wars races were pretty recent… sort of in the sense that there has only been one in person Springtime Surprise race weekend in between the last Star Wars and next years…
I would guess that it will be something else.

I loved the Star Wars races. They were really fun, so I wouldn’t be opposed to the theme.
Do you have any guesses what themes they might have for Springtime Surprise? I don't believe that they could pull off Marvel at Disney World because of the Universal Orlando contractual issue. So, that theme is out. Obviously, they wouldn't have a Princess themed race. What other races were there that I'm forgetting other than Star Wars?

Do you have any guesses what themes they might have for Springtime Surprise? I don't believe that they could pull off Marvel at Disney World because of the Universal Orlando contractual issue. So, that theme is out. Obviously, they wouldn't have a Princess themed race. What other races were there that I'm forgetting other than Star Wars?
I really don’t. I think some people were guessing or hoping for Pixar or Disney Afternoon Cartoons… maybe rides…
I don’t think the weekend is tied to past race themes. I think it could be anything (except for maybe Marvel like you mentioned).

I thought Guardians would be doable, and would also make sense here. Is there something in the contract that covers them?

I really don’t. I think some people were guessing or hoping for Pixar or Disney Afternoon Cartoons… maybe rides…
I don’t think the weekend is tied to past race themes. I think it could be anything (except for maybe Marvel like you mentioned).
Truth be told, runDisney could go Marvel without interfering with the Universal Orlando ownership of some Marvel properties. There could be a Guardians of the Galaxy race, Captain Marvel or Dr. Strange. This is an interesting article that explains which Marvel characters Disney can still use at Disney World. https://www.insideuniversal.net/201...ct-what-rights-does-universal-and-disney-own/

Truth be told, I think that runDisney could do a lot more with Star Wars than with Marvel. Nonetheless, there could be a Marvel themed Springtime Surprise.

I thought Guardians would be doable, and would also make sense here. Is there something in the contract that covers them?
For the same reason that Disney was able to create Cosmic Rewind, runDisney could definitely use Guardians for a race. However, could you have an entire half marathon with a Guardians theme? I would sign up for that race in a heartbeat just imagining how cool that medal could be. My vote would be for the Milano.

I think some people were guessing or hoping for Pixar or Disney Afternoon Cartoons… maybe rides…

I was thinking Pixar as well and am kind of hoping that's it. Depending on the rides, I might be interested in that as well.

I've started setting up my mental "if it's this, I'm in" list. Here's what I have so far:

- Pixar
- Running a shorter race (5K or 10K) through the Magic Kingdom
- An after-party somewhere other than Epcot (since we're already going to be doing that with Wine & Dine)

Things that will help tip the scale to yes for me:
- Some sort of night race
- The longest race be a 10 miler instead of a half marathon again (easier to train for coming off of Dopey)

What is on everyone else's lists?

I was thinking Pixar as well and am kind of hoping that's it. Depending on the rides, I might be interested in that as well.

I've started setting up my mental "if it's this, I'm in" list. Here's what I have so far:

- Pixar
- Running a shorter race (5K or 10K) through the Magic Kingdom
- An after-party somewhere other than Epcot (since we're already going to be doing that with Wine & Dine)

Things that will help tip the scale to yes for me:
- Some sort of night race
- The longest race be a 10 miler instead of a half marathon again (easier to train for coming off of Dopey)

What is on everyone else's lists?
For me, it's either Star Wars or Marvel. I'm not certain if I would be interested in Pixar although I loved taking pictures with the Incredibles and Frozone at the marathon.

If the long race is a 15k/10 miler I might be swayed to shell out $$$ to do the 3 race challenge as pirate pass is blocked out the majority of the weekend so I won’t be running my legs down in parks

Theme prediction
-Disney Afternoon (based on hosts costumes during Everest, Rescue Rangers, moonlight magic)
-muppets (DL CM fun run was Muppet themed)
-Star Wars
-Pixar
-Epcot 40 (I was hoping W&D would of been this …still plan on running the 10k in November with an Epcot inspired look)
-Villains (was a popular theme during W&D just hopefully switch the characters up from 21/22)
-Moana (because judging by how many princess races she’s been used tptb at RunDisney LOVE her lol)
-the parks (Pandora/guardians/Star Wars)
-SURPRISE we are going to do Everest/TOT again but with a different vintage middle race

For the same reason that Disney was able to create Cosmic Rewind, runDisney could definitely use Guardians for a race. However, could you have an entire half marathon with a Guardians theme? I would sign up for that race in a heartbeat just imagining how cool that medal could be. My vote would be for the Milano.
I was thinking you could theme an Epcot 10k around Guardians, since nearly all the 10ks RD has done have been routed through there. I'm not thinking very creatively about the middle distance race at all, not sure if a 5 miler or 10k is feasible anywhere else. We did have a bit of a swerve with the MW 10k this year getting a bit of time in HS but that was my least favorite of the four races that weekend.

I think Pixar would be fun, but Disney Afternoon Cartoons would be the ultimate theme for me. runDisney is getting my registration money for this weekend regardless of the theme, but they’d get SO MUCH merch money from me.

Disney Afternoon Cartoons would be the ultimate theme for me.
And I'm 100% sure if that is the theme, I'm out. I'm not of that generation and it has absolutely no relevance to me. Which makes me wonder if Disney will go with this type of polarizing (either you love it or you have no use for it) theme.

I think Pixar would be fun, but Disney Afternoon Cartoons would be the ultimate theme for me. runDisney is getting my registration money for this weekend regardless of the theme, but they’d get SO MUCH merch money from me.
Same here. I was just about 8 when Ducktales hit the air. That was my childhood right there. I would buy ALL the things.

And I'm 100% sure if that is the theme, I'm out. I'm not of that generation and it has absolutely no relevance to me. Which makes me wonder if Disney will go with this type of polarizing (either you love it or you have no use for it) theme.
Same for me. I think that it would be a cute theme for a particular generation, but it would have no draw for me or my children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter