Springtime Surprise Weekend 2024 (April 18-21)

it looks like the same course as last year if I remember the map correctly. all the park time on the front-end, and all the highway on the back. which means there's probably going to be massive congestion between Epcot and HS and an ill-placed water station.
Cool, thanks

it looks like the same course as last year if I remember the map correctly. all the park time on the front-end, and all the highway on the back. which means there's probably going to be massive congestion between Epcot and HS and an ill-placed water station.
Basically, right? Only change might be how it handles the new Epcot section because that wasn't open last time. Kind of a bummer because they themed this around Lion King so I had a tiny bit of optimism that they might try to run this through AK but it seems clear now that these races will have the same structure.

still trying to decide on a 10K costume... it's like do I go with the Up theme or something else... I had two different mash up ideas but was told by family members not to do it as people 'wouldn't get it' despite all the niche mash ups I see on instagram for Marathon and Princess

I should pre-game Wine and Dine soon too especially if Joannes closes up shop

still trying to decide on a 10K costume... it's like do I go with the Up theme or something else... I had two different mash up ideas but was told by family members not to do it as people 'wouldn't get it' despite all the niche mash ups I see on instagram for Marathon and Princess

I should pre-game Wine and Dine soon too especially if Joannes closes up shop
I also need to make costume decisions! Good point on Joann. I am reusing costumes for the 5k and 10 Miler. Thought I'd do Kevin for the 10K but seems like there are a lot of those already.

I struggle every race with getting "too clever" but ultimately you just have to decide if the costume is for you or for everyone else. I've put tons of effort into costumes that just one or two people seemed to get, but lots of comments on what I thought were lazy choices. So it's all about what you want to get out of it -- satisfaction or recognition.

Last edited:

WHAT?! Do you mean locally, or do you have info about them possibly going out of business nationally?
I've heard rumors that they are getting ready to file for bankruptcy and close all their brick and mortar's and refocus on being a strictly online business
I also need to make costume decisions too! Good point on Joann. I am reusing costumes for the 5k and 10 Miler. Thought I'd do Kevin for the 10K but seems like there are a lot of those already.

I struggle every race with getting "too clever" but ultimately you just have to decide if the costume is for you or for everyone else. I've put tons of effort into costumes that just one or two people seemed to get, but lots of comments on what I thought were lazy choices. So it's all about what you want to get out of it -- satisfaction or recognition.
I'll re-use skirts depending on the race and both crossover ideas would of done so (one was an Elder Cunningham/Olaf mash up because had I not gotten in my "Plan B" was to go see Book of Mormon Again in Tampa my other niche crossover was Act 2 John Progress/Carl Fredrickson and instead of a Niagra Falls fan have it be a Paradise Falls fan.... I may just do Act 2 John without the crossover.... I may end up re-wearing my Jane Porter costume from 2022's Everest 5K IDK

I've heard rumors that they are getting ready to file for bankruptcy and close all their brick and mortar's and refocus on being a strictly online business
that would stink because then my only local option for fabric would be Hobby Lobby and I don't love shopping there. Our JA store is always a mess though. Disorganized, stuff everywhere, a huge jumble of clearance in 3 different spots.

that would stink because then my only local option for fabric would be Hobby Lobby and I don't love shopping there. Our JA store is always a mess though. Disorganized, stuff everywhere, a huge jumble of clearance in 3 different spots.
Agree! We have very few IRL options where I am now, so I'd probably have to make a significant road trip to get anything in person.

Thank you to those who posted the course maps!
Question for people who ran the 10 miler the last few years, how congested does that path between Epcot and Studios get if you're not super fast? Seems early in the race to be running on that narrow sidewalk.

Question for people who ran the 10 miler the last few years, how congested does that path between Epcot and Studios get if you're not super fast? Seems early in the race to be running on that narrow sidewalk.
Very congested. There were times I had to walk because there was no room, and if room did open up, I had to be strategic of when to take it.

Very congested. There were times I had to walk because there was no room, and if room did open up, I had to be strategic of when to take it.
Honestly, that's how this section has been for me at every race that's gone through there, regardless of where it falls on the course.

Edit to add I am on Team Not-So-Fast so if you are quicker ymmv, literally.

Is mile 9 behind the shops at the front of WS? That was a crowded mess from other races I’ve run through that spot.

I was in D last year and it wasn’t as bad as I was dreading (still crowded but you could easily jog/sprint through the crowds)

Pretty congested no matter what race uses it. If you’re wanting to run it, watch for a line of runners going down the right side and jump in with them. Otherwise, plan on walking it.

As of others have said, it's pretty congested. Last year I also found that people were pretty rude going through there too. My husband and I were walking because everyone was and we couldn't really go any faster, but a lot of people were taking the three or four inches between people as a space to squeeze through and I heard more than one complaining that people shouldn't be walking so early in the race.

We also got stuck near a pace group that was going to do their intervals, come hell or high water, and we felt a bit like we were being shoved around because they were staying in a bit of a mass of people, without trying the accommodate others on the path.

As always, it will be different depending where you start, so don't take my experience as typical. Especially the pace group. I find that usually the pacers are better at telling their group to give room for others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter