Southwest prices all over the place

APiratesLifeForMe2

DIS Veteran
Last year before our trip I started tracking Southwest flight pricing/points to get an idea of how much we would expect our flights to cost and if certain days of the week were better to purchase etc. Overall I found for us, September prices were a good predictor of December flights (what we are waiting for)

This year I started tracking again for our trip and the flight prices and points are all over the place. For instance in many cases, the non-stop flights are more than the layover flights (this was never the case last year). Prices are also much higher and often double what they were last year. Usually we are able to fly on points but we will be lucky to get one way covered this year.

Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe it's just a fluke this year or something is going on in September that wasn't last year that is inflating prices? Really not looking forward to adding another $600 or more into my budget.

I know my flight is just under a month away and the price went from $117 to $81 and got 2200 RR points back last week and now its back to $117. So it is hard to predict what is going to happen to flight prices.

Last year before our trip I started tracking Southwest flight pricing/points to get an idea of how much we would expect our flights to cost and if certain days of the week were better to purchase etc. Overall I found for us, September prices were a good predictor of December flights (what we are waiting for)

This year I started tracking again for our trip and the flight prices and points are all over the place. For instance in many cases, the non-stop flights are more than the layover flights (this was never the case last year). Prices are also much higher and often double what they were last year. Usually we are able to fly on points but we will be lucky to get one way covered this year.

Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe it's just a fluke this year or something is going on in September that wasn't last year that is inflating prices? Really not looking forward to adding another $600 or more into my budget.
SWA prices have climbed over the past several years, and they continue to climb. Plus, in general the prices for individual flights rise & drop with demand. So yes, prices are all over the place.

Ours were all over the place, too. Flights with TWO stops were more than 1 stop or direct.

Last edited:

Prices really are are all over the place. We are going Aug 30-September 8. I was figuring about $400 RT each person (UGH) because that's what it's been the last 2 years. We just don't get good rates here. No nonstop flights available either. Anyway, when flights were released it was $638 RT each. Wha???? I had to wait a month or so for the points form our new SW Visa to hit our account. Once they did, I checked again (I was so depressed about the prices I didn't check in the meantime) and flights were a bit under $400. I was able to get all 4 RT tickets with points. Cost about 80000 points. Since then, I have gotten almost 10000 points back as the price on our return flight went down. It is lovely how SW allows changes and will refund points if prices go down.

I have flights June 28 to July 5, PIT/MCO. I bought tickets the day they came out, $132 on the way down and 5746 points for the way back. With these advertised specials coming out, I checked it a couple of days ago, both are now double.

just last week, got 2K points back on labor day weekend flights. It pays to keep looking.
ABSOLUTELY!
I have been lucky enough for past flights to get a point reduction or in the case of tickets purchased for cash, a credit which I used for a future flight.
My upcoming October F&W trip, ticket prices keep going up!:scared1:
Scouting and "thinking" of a 3 night, 4 day Universal trip mid Dec, fun to see the holiday decorations and to do a trip before the cold NE weather.ANYONE KNOW when Southwest next booking window, December will be available???:scratchin:confused: MUCH THANKS, comparing JetBlue, Jet Blue flights for mid Dec very $$$.:goodvibes
HOPING flights go down!:cheer2:

Did my usual morning check of my already booked flights. Switched my early June round trip from BWI-MCO to PHL-MCO and saved 3,367 per ticket. There's four of us, so it adds up quickly.

Checked my late July/early August round trip and made a change there today too. Changed the return redeye MCO-BWI leg from a nonstop direct, to a short layover in RDU departing the next morning and saved another 1,201 per ticket. Now we can stay in the parks until close before heading to the Hyatt.

Getting 18k+ points back makes for a happy day.

Southwest flights a couple years ago were much cheaper on opening day. Im starting to see high prices on opening day and fluctuations in price hikes and drops all the way through till the day we fly.

Did my usual morning check of my already booked flights. Switched my early June round trip from BWI-MCO to PHL-MCO and saved 3,367 per ticket. There's four of us, so it adds up quickly.

Checked my late July/early August round trip and made a change there today too. Changed the return redeye MCO-BWI leg from a nonstop direct, to a short layover in RDU departing the next morning and saved another 1,201 per ticket. Now we can stay in the parks until close before heading to the Hyatt.

Getting 18k+ points back makes for a happy day.
Good for you! Alays nice saving $$

ABSOLUTELY!
ANYONE KNOW when Southwest next booking window, December will be available???:scratchin:confused:

We are currently accepting air reservations through November 3, 2018. On May 31, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through January 6, 2019. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

This is usually posted under Flight Schedules on Southwest's website.

We are currently accepting air reservations through November 3, 2018. On May 31, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through January 6, 2019. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

This is usually posted under Flight Schedules on Southwest's website.
THANKS!!!:thumbsup2 For folks especially traveling right around the Christmas holidays into New Year, thus,will be pertinent!

I've noticed. We're going with a high max. So, we fly in December. When the flights are released, we will not pay more than $300 round trip per person. I'd like it to be lower, aiming for $117 per leg per person. However, will go up to the $300 if necessary.

Just called SW...Flight departing in October back home dropped by $13.99 each...hey why not, "thinking" about a quick 3 night 4 day Universal trip mid December.
Always NICE to save some $$$. :banana::cheer2:

Checked our flights again today and our outbound flight went down. Got 9756 points back on 4 tickets. Nice! Cash price was $126. In fact, after both outbound and inbound flights changed, we are down to $252 RT cash price. I was not able to get under $380 the last 2 years. Price was $638 on opening day. Craziness!!

Checked our flights again today and our outbound flight went down. Got 9756 points back on 4 tickets. Nice! Cash price was $126. In fact, after both outbound and inbound flights changed, we are down to $252 RT cash price. I was not able to get under $380 the last 2 years. Price was $638 on opening day. Craziness!!
Wow that's a healthy discount. How far past opening day prices are you?

Our SW prices keep climbing! They are definitely cheapest opening day. I checked this morning and our PHL to MCO is now $377 (that’s one way folks!). We paid around $150 for that leg. The home bound flight has a similar increase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter