Something special on a large family trip

Nikkimouse44

Mouseketeer
We’re a group of 16 going in April. My family is DVC and my aunt in DVC. We’re all staying at the poly (4 rooms).

My grandpa recently passed away at age 91 unexpectedly last month. It’s been very difficult for my dad and aunt. Since we’re all going to Disney together, and all his 7 great grandchildren will be there as well, I wanted to try to do something to honor him (remember him? A tribute to him?) - as he was definitely the backbone to our family.

I’m drawing a blank on what are some things we could do, so any suggestions would be great. This trip was planned before his passing, but I want to make sure that we acknowledge that we know he’s there with us

So sorry for your loss. We've recently had a similar trip with family. One of the highlights we had was a Capture the Moment photo shoot with Disney photographers for a lifetime of memories to keep in pictures. We did ours at MK, but they offer them at other parks, as well. Another possibility is something like Savor The Savanna tour at AK, which is also designed to take larger groups. I'm sure you'll get many good suggestions, but those are some we did. Hope your trip is special and celebrates your grandpa.

Just saying how sorry I am for your loss. Was there some special type of food he enjoyed? Maybe go to a restaurant that matches?

Or, how about taking a picture on a country in Italy that represents your heritage? And if that country is not represented, something close?

We’re a group of 16 going in April. My family is DVC and my aunt in DVC. We’re all staying at the poly (4 rooms).

My grandpa recently passed away at age 91 unexpectedly last month. It’s been very difficult for my dad and aunt. Since we’re all going to Disney together, and all his 7 great grandchildren will be there as well, I wanted to try to do something to honor him (remember him? A tribute to him?) - as he was definitely the backbone to our family.

I’m drawing a blank on what are some things we could do, so any suggestions would be great. This trip was planned before his passing, but I want to make sure that we acknowledge that we know he’s there with us

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm so happy you're going ahead with your plans to get together and honouring your grandfather. We had planned to do something like that in our family but it got put off and put off for reasons, and now one of us is no longer here to do it...it's so important and your grandpa would be so happy for you.

Back when they had the Grand Gatherings there was a fireworks boat cruise run by wdw that I thought would be perfect for such a reunion...it would only be for your group plus the Castmember. They no longer do these but you can arrange specialty cruises as a private charter. It's still arranged through wdw and they can provide additional things like catering etc depending on your budget.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/recreation/specialty-cruises/

you could also reserve spaces at one of the fireworks dessert parties. It wouldn't be exclusive to your family but there are a limited number of participants so you would be a large portion of the guests.

Do something that reminds you of him or his interests. Did he like boats? Take a fireworks cruise. Had a sweet tooth? Dessert party. Like horses? Maybe visit FW. Like games? Maybe have a family game night in his honor. Liked trains? Maybe take a group photo in the train room at Boulder ridge. have two grandparents and an aunt who used to always go to Disney with us before they passed and we just talk about them a lot during our trips as a way of making it feel like they’re still here. So many things there remind me of them.

The "love" reaction here doesn't quite capture what I meant. I'm sorry for your loss. My mom passed a couple years ago and the first trip back with my dad only was challenging.

You could pick (a meal or) day that you all do thing(s) together in his memory. (with T-shirts or pins if you choose). What would he have picked if he could? And do those together, with pictures at every stop, and an album for all of it. Not sure what the age ranges are of everyone involved whether this would be feasible.

Think about the individual and what they enjoyed (if they were to Disney ever find out what they enjoyed). There are so many options I would focus on that and then back in to what to do.

Example my mother love Hoop De Doo if we ever did something it would be getting the whole group to go there.

Were they a farmer? Go on living with the land and get a cast member to snap a picture of you all together in the boat.

Immigrant from Germany, Mexico, Norway, ect? Then head over there in Epcot.

As I said so many ideas so think about what they enjoyed first.

Did he have a favorite ride? My Dad did (Living with the Land), so I ride it every time I'm at Disney. If you don't know, it might be a question you'd ask elderly relatives. It's a tribute to him that I always look forward to.

Thank you all!

Our ages will range from 1 to mid 60s

I went to Disney with him when I was younger (like 1 or 2) so I’m not entirely sure when if anything he enjoyed. I’m sure my dad and aunt would know.

We went to Italy with him twice in my aunt life, and my grandma (his late wife) was an immigrant from Norway - so maybe taking photos in both countries as a family would be something special, as well as a button we can wear that can say “im
Celebrating” the life of our grandpa (dad, great grandpa) with the dates of his life.

I was also thinking of taking a framed photo of him with us and when we do a group photo make sure one of us (or one of the great grandchildren) are holding it in the center?

Thank you all!

I was also thinking of taking a framed photo of him with us and when we do a group photo make sure one of us (or one of the great grandchildren) are holding it in the center?
I think that's a wonderful idea!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest