SoCal Beach Hotel for the day and evening

kittylady1972

Disneyholic
Flying into Long Beach next week.

2 of our party (the guys) plan to spend the afternoon on the USS Iowa (we land at 1130am)

2 of us (the girls) are thinking a day/night at the beach would be good for that first night. We move to Anaheim and DL Hotel for the last 3 nights.

Planning to go from airport to USS Iowa for the guys, drop them off, then head elsewhere so commuting distance is key since we have to pick them up later...doesn't seem too "beachy" in the San Pedro area.

So do we do Redondo/Manhattan and find a hotel within walking distance or on the beach there?

Or do we head more South and East and find something in Laguna Beach (seems a bit far) or Huntington Beach?

Just a nice place to stay with a pool and on or near the beach with some nice restaurants nearby is our only requirement.

I grew up in Redondo. You are correct in your assumption that San Pedro is not very beachy. It is a port, not a beach. It use to be a cool little port area with bars and stores but not anymore.
Redondo Beach is a good option. Hotels have come and go but one that remains since I was a kid is the Portofino right by the Redondo Beach pier. Although the pier has gotten a little sketchy over the years it is still a good way to kill time and get a good meal, within walking distance of the Portofino as well as many other hotels in the area. Want a proper beach? Walk south of the pier and you will hit the strand. From there you can walk all the way down to Palos Verdes.
Also, the Iowa is pretty cool. You might want to rethink that!

I grew up in Redondo. You are correct in your assumption that San Pedro is not very beachy. It is a port, not a beach. It use to be a cool little port area with bars and stores but not anymore.
Redondo Beach is a good option. Hotels have come and go but one that remains since I was a kid is the Portofino right by the Redondo Beach pier. Although the pier has gotten a little sketchy over the years it is still a good way to kill time and get a good meal, within walking distance of the Portofino as well as many other hotels in the area. Want a proper beach? Walk south of the pier and you will hit the strand. From there you can walk all the way down to Palos Verdes.
Also, the Iowa is pretty cool. You might want to rethink that!

My husband's grandfather was a fisherman in San Pedro many moons ago (never met him) but yeah I didn't anticipate it would be the place we would want to hang out.

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards Redondo as of now. Sadly the Iowa is just not my/our thing but it is for my husband and son...it is the last ship on their bucket list to visit.

Manhattan Beach is a good option. Very pleasant beach area, promenade, a pier, shops and dining. Also has the advantage of been close to the airport so you could probably drop your luggage there on the way. Sea View Inn is a nice little hotel, nothing fancy but clean, well run and only a couple of mins walk from the beach.

Huntington Beach has the advantage of been quite close to Anaheim, never stayed there but it’s another nice beach area with, again, good dining, some decent shops, nice promenade and a pier. Can’t recommend a hotel I’m afraid as I’ve visited often but never stayed there.

Laguna is a bit too far away but worth a day trip from Anaheim if you have time.

I lived in Laguna for a while. Too far and not worth the hype. Although there is the Surf and Sand hotel. I worked there one summer and it has a great location! And the food was really really really good!!! (Can you tell what dept I worked in😉)

Manhattan Beach is a good option. Very pleasant beach area, promenade, a pier, shops and dining. Also has the advantage of been close to the airport so you could probably drop your luggage there on the way. Sea View Inn is a nice little hotel, nothing fancy but clean, well run and only a couple of mins walk from the beach.

Huntington Beach has the advantage of been quite close to Anaheim, never stayed there but it’s another nice beach area with, again, good dining, some decent shops, nice promenade and a pier. Can’t recommend a hotel I’m afraid as I’ve visited often but never stayed there.

Laguna is a bit too far away but worth a day trip from Anaheim if you have time.

Thanks for the response. As for Manhattan Beach...it is close to LAX but we are flying into Long Beach. Plan to drop the guys off at the USS Iowa then explore somewhere for the day.

I'm going back and forth between Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan and Huntington right now. It's only a few hours for the most part. I am now thinking we just spend the day and evening in one of those areas, even after picking up the guys when they are done, and then we will head to Anaheim for sleeping since our next morning will be Disneyland. Plus we should be able to take advantage of east coast time for us that first morning and hit the ground early for the parks, so it makes sense to be in that area. I know we likely won't be able to stay up late that first night after travelling all day and getting up early since we have a 6am flight from the east coast...with connections.

Thanks for the response. As for Manhattan Beach...it is close to LAX but we are flying into Long Beach. Plan to drop the guys off at the USS Iowa then explore somewhere for the day.

Sorry, yes you did say you were flying into LGB. Long Beach itself has the port which isn’t that attractive but there is the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach which is decent enough. Just south, Seal Beach is a nice compact area with a nice beach and some good dining along Main St plus the Beach House Bar and Restaurant which has a large deck overlooking the beach.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest