Sobering article on Disney from Frommer's

We've always had amazing anticipation for our DL trips but this summer we are nervous!!! It's not for covid (although that and borders, etc plays a part). It's we are worried we won't enjoy the parks how we used to. We were fastpass experts who fit more rides in a day then most do in a week. We also never used our phones, DL was family time, not phone time!!! We liked to just hit up counter service without much planning and would eat a little earlier than most and avoided huge lines. We are nervous about everything for our trip in July and have already started talking about going somewhere else on our next vacation. It's sad. We are a Disneyland family that is thinking of leaving.

This captures our family's feelings exactly. I also fear that our enjoyment of the parks on our next trip will be taking a big nosedive and the DL that made us a loyal repeat visit family is a thing of the past. I have been trying to brush up on Genie+ strategies, but I dread what it will mean for our trip and as I said on another thread, it's just such a bummer. I can stomach the prices and luckily we can afford to pay them if we so choose, but one FP per ride, delayed hopping until 1:00, and then having to purchase LL are all particularly hard blows. In future we will likely spend our vacation dollars elsewhere, and DL will be an occasional stop rather than regular trip. It's the end of an era, and very sad. :sad1:

I have loved Disneyland for years but it does get harder to justify the cost over the years, especially when they are cutting back on services etc. One of my favorite things about going has always been that it's very easy, you don't have to plan ahead of time etc. I'm already worried mobile ordering, genie+ taking away from the spontaneity of the trip. Also it just leaves a sour taste having to pay extra for the rides when it already costs so much to get in. I know they can't guarantee that every person will get on every ride they want to, but there should at least be a chance of doing it for free, like with fastpass. I'm also not thrilled with the expansion they're planning, because it takes away from the cozy feel of the parks.

The thing I have always loved about Disneyland is what it says at the entrance, "Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." It really is a magical place, it's so unique, it's clean and they have wonderful customer service. So if they are chipping away at that little by little I think it really will cost them guests in the end, even if it takes a while. They have such a good reputation for quality but they can't coast on their reputation alone if things start going downhill.

Last edited:
Does anyone still go to a library in 2022? Even Belle would have her nose in a phone today :)

Yep, they do, one of our branches (we have 19 brick and morter and over 100 onsite, like bookshelves in Rec centers/Senior Living/Kiosk Vending, locations) does over 1.25 MILLION circulations per year. Granted none of the others do over a millionby themself, but 3 others are within spitting distance.

Our digital checkouts (between Libby and Hoopla) are one of the top providers in the nation. We have huge budgets towards our print materials but digital is actually gaining and will probably be close to 50/50 withing the next 5 years or so.

Most of the people you see with their noses in thier phones and tablet are reading free (to them) digital books from the library :rotfl2:That's why the publishers and Amazon hate us.

I work in what would be considered a midsize system. We are always busy. I've got job security. LOL

Also we have a lot of Disney Travel Guides.....a lot......

I can wait for a better Disneyland/Disney World to return. I have no desire to go back yet. I don't live local to either park destination and I've done over 50 trips through the years. My last trip was four years ago.

Disney's bubble will end and they will need to change for the better. I can wait.

I have wonderful memories and I would not be happy going back right now. We have moved on with other destinations which we feel are of better value now. All I would see right now are the minuses; so, I prefer not to go.

The thing I have always loved about Disneyland is what it says at the entrance, "Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy." It really is a magical place,
I love this as well. I never use the other tunnel to enter the park!

Isn’t the sign on both tunnels? I’m pretty sure it’s on both! But I still understand having a preference for one tunnel over the other.
there's a sign, but the tunnel on the right has different wording. Unless they've changed it...in the decades I've been going to DL, I seriously never go that way for this very reason!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter