Sobering article on Disney from Frommer's

Yikes! Instead of a symbol of affluence and family joy, it can be a symbol of being a sucker and squandering! I have scaled back on certain companies and investments because of beliefs. Even though I recently went all in on Disney (DVC), I still maintain all that glitters isn't gold. I will watch closely how Disney continues to change in the next two years and make new decisions.I foresee impeding exodus as travel revenge subsides and the one and dones are really done if Disney doesn't ramp up the goodness.

We've always had amazing anticipation for our DL trips but this summer we are nervous!!! It's not for covid (although that and borders, etc plays a part). It's we are worried we won't enjoy the parks how we used to. We were fastpass experts who fit more rides in a day then most do in a week. We also never used our phones, DL was family time, not phone time!!! We liked to just hit up counter service without much planning and would eat a little earlier than most and avoided huge lines. We are nervous about everything for our trip in July and have already started talking about going somewhere else on our next vacation. It's sad. We are a Disneyland family that is thinking of leaving.

I actually enjoy the experience as is and have been to DW and DL pandemic times but I wonder how long it will be worthwhile and if i I will continue to be supportive due to my strong beliefs against gouging.

My family made the decision to take a break from Disney after our last trip in November. We have been to WDW and DLR four times since the pandemic, and sadly it kept declining with every visit. We understood that things were different, but this last trip with G+ at WDW and the nickel and diming on everything left us with a sour taste. We still love Disney, and we are hopeful that with time they will go back to the core values and superior customer service. I don't fault the CM's, I fault the management that keeps hiking the prices and giving us nothing in return. I just hope this trajectory takes a turn sooner than later.

My sense is that this is driven by corporate management that measures everything by current profit/returns. It appears they are neglecting to calculate in that their profit is distinctly tied to the quality of the product in the eyes of the consumers. Since Disney's base is made up of people who have come to associate Disney with quality, amazing entertainment, and being appreciated and valued, they may soon find themselves in the position of having killed the golden goose. I'm hoping people rebel against Disney's current practices and really hoping Disney will respond quickly in recognizing us as an important part of their success--but not a mindless one that will pay any cost and accept any reduction in quality. They could start by replacing Chapek.

I've already functionally pulled back on trips and spending... not necessarily because of Disney behavior (though their handling of the ABC sexual assault case was mindblowingly atrocious, and their treatment of the ScarJo litigation was a very public act of stupidity by CEO Chapek and their ineffective/tone deaf legal counsel), but for other unrelated reasons.

There are just lots of other things to do, and pandemic closure + our subsequent visits reminded us that, once upon a time, Disney was a once-a-year thing, and clearly we all survived. I kind of like this less frequent cadence, my wallet is heavier by several thousand dollars that would have otherwise been spent at Disney & surrounds.

Last edited:
My family made the decision to take a break from Disney after our last trip in November. We have been to WDW and DLR four times since the pandemic, and sadly it kept declining with every visit. We understood that things were different, but this last trip with G+ at WDW and the nickel and diming on everything left us with a sour taste. We still love Disney, and we are hopeful that with time they will go back to the core values and superior customer service. I don't fault the CM's, I fault the management that keeps hiking the prices and giving us nothing in return. I just hope this trajectory takes a turn sooner than later.

We have made the break too. It's not just the 2 of us. It's kids/spouses, grandkids who have made the break too. So, there are generations of devoted disney fans who are no longer going to WDW. It saddens me because it was our beloved happy place, a place to forget life's problems and be pampered. We are not the kind of "customers", not guests according to Chapek, that they want. He said in an article I read, that he basically is gearing for those people who can afford more, have a "bespoke" experience, and a more expensive experience. He came right out and said that, which shows how much he could care less about the rest of us.
So, we are no longer feeding the beast. We have several other trips planned this year, and none have a disney name to them.
I do feel that what they have done to the brand name of disney will come back to bite them in the ### in time. It is hard to sink a brand name, but it can be done, and I am afraid they have already started the ball rolling.

I'm in the weird position of having a Magic Key because I have scores of friends and family who keep asking me to go but I really don't want to renew it come August. Two different groups of people have expressed interest in going to WDW with me next month but I've turned them both down and am trying to get them to do a trip to Las Vegas or somewhere else instead.

The problem is that the pandemic shut down international travel. So families that may have planned one trip abroad in a year are instead going to Disney parks multiple times. I don't think we'll see an implosion until the world opens up and all the vacation dollars dry up.

I'm in the weird position of having a Magic Key because I have scores of friends and family who keep asking me to go but I really don't want to renew it come August. Two different groups of people have expressed interest in going to WDW with me next month but I've turned them both down and am trying to get them to do a trip to Las Vegas or somewhere else instead.

The problem is that the pandemic shut down international travel. So families that may have planned one trip abroad in a year are instead going to Disney parks multiple times. I don't think we'll see an implosion until the world opens up and all the vacation dollars dry up.
We also have a Magic Key and most likely won’t renew. You are spot on with the prediction about the world opening up. We have enough saved to do WDW twice but decided to save it and have 2 international trips planned with hotel choices and itineraries ready to go. Just waiting on border restrictions to loosen up and then we’re gone. Even now we have a summer road trip booked instead of multiple Disney trips.

It's not wrong but also not completly correct. There is still magic, just not as much. I'm not OG, I've only been doing Disney trips for about 14 years, though for most of those years I've done multiple trips and I've been a Pass Holder (both coasts) for a portion of those. I have gone other places as well but WDW was my fall back. Long trips, quick trips, destination trips for parties/festivals easy to plan and I paid overpriced lodging and food for them. The tipping point for me in the last 14 years was the extra magic. It made WDW a relaxing trip with a lot of moments. Less magic, means I'll go make my own and it might not include WDW or it might mean I only do WDW every 4 or 5 trips.

I took a WDW trip in Nov and and DLR trip in Jan.

It was very different and while I enjoyed myself, it just wasn't the same. That's not a good or bad thing, it just is. Will I go back, probably eventually but I think I may do some smaller trips to DLR because I can combine that with LA which is a city I like to visit. WDW, honestly while I love it, is the only thing I really do in Orlando (SW and UNI are not as big of a draw) and I just feel like for the price of a WDW trip right now I can do other trips that have more to offer (NYC, Boston, and Europe are on my todo list).

Part of my pleasure in going to DL frequently was meeting my friends and trying out different things each time. My dh isn't a Disney person and won't go with me but happily pays for my annual pass/Dream key so I can enjoy it with my Disney friends ("cheaper than therapy"). Now, several of those friends have moved away from Disney to other things (interests I don't share), which leaves me wondering what I'll do going forward. I love DLR and was so happy to go back. I mean it was something I knew and loved, right? But it seems that there is nothing that hasn't been tainted by the pandemic, whether as a direct factor or a fall-back excuse. I've had great visits all 3 times I've been since reopening, but I've not yet had to deal with major genie+/LL issues. Right now, I have no upcoming DL plans and no one who can or wants to go with me, so I'm contemplating a solo trip. Pre-pandemic, my friends and I would have been planning our Dapper Day outfits.

I know it's a case of 1st-world problems, but it still makes me sad.

After a steady stream of Disney vacations, our family decided to shift gears and do a week's vacation at Yellowstone NP. We stayed and dined "on-site." We were amazed at how cheap this trip was compared to Disney parks. Not only lodging food, but also the admission and souvenirs. Here's the kicker: that trip was in 2011! Imagine what the disparity is now!

Last edited:
We've always had amazing anticipation for our DL trips but this summer we are nervous!!! It's not for covid (although that and borders, etc plays a part). It's we are worried we won't enjoy the parks how we used to. We were fastpass experts who fit more rides in a day then most do in a week. We also never used our phones, DL was family time, not phone time!!! We liked to just hit up counter service without much planning and would eat a little earlier than most and avoided huge lines. We are nervous about everything for our trip in July and have already started talking about going somewhere else on our next vacation. It's sad. We are a Disneyland family that is thinking of leaving.
VERY well said and you are Not Alone in those thoughts.

The choice to use the $1000 craft store plastic gem Mickey Ears as the image for the article is just *chef’s kiss*.

It really captures the ridiculousnesses of the pricing now.
My jaw dropped at that part. Something totally out of my reach that I would only ever click on to gawk at the price- never would have thought to read the reviews! And aI thought Disney had gotten cheap by making their mugs not microwave and dishwasher safe 🤣

I agree that when US travel to abroad opens up (no testing required) some of the demand will abate. My international travel money has been going to Disney during the pandemic for sure. I also think the first time visitors will peak this year with all those who promised the fam the trip during Covid are making good on it.

At WDW last week I constantly looked around noticing First Time Visitors basically everywhere and thought “why in heck would they ever come back? They’re standing in line all dang day, simply buying food is complicated, G+ is very frustrating, hotels are stupid expensive for the quality offered... I don’t think they’ll come back.” It was my most crowded, frustrating trip since I cannot remember. I’m an AP so I’ll be back, but I research and am not going to be devastated if I miss ROTR. I know G+ lies about return times when you book things they confirm different. I paid for G+ (WOW is that CRAP tech) but I will admit I cut back on the dining and merch this trip as a result. I know what Disney *can* be and I’m hanging on to see if they come back. But goodness gracious if that had been my first trip no way would I ever go back lol.

Now if y’all will excuse my I gotta go read that part about the $1k Mickey hat being A Walmart level crafts project again 🤣

Part of my pleasure in going to DL frequently was meeting my friends and trying out different things each time. My dh isn't a Disney person and won't go with me but happily pays for my annual pass/Dream key so I can enjoy it with my Disney friends ("cheaper than therapy"). Now, several of those friends have moved away from Disney to other things (interests I don't share), which leaves me wondering what I'll do going forward. I love DLR and was so happy to go back. I mean it was something I knew and loved, right? But it seems that there is nothing that hasn't been tainted by the pandemic, whether as a direct factor or a fall-back excuse. I've had great visits all 3 times I've been since reopening, but I've not yet had to deal with major genie+/LL issues. Right now, I have no upcoming DL plans and no one who can or wants to go with me, so I'm contemplating a solo trip. Pre-pandemic, my friends and I would have been planning our Dapper Day outfits.

I know it's a case of 1st-world problems, but it still makes me sad.
Be grateful. The geniuses at DLR are bringing back WOC, MSEP and Disneyland Forever on Dapper Days Weekend. Madness doesn’t begin to describe what that’s gonna look like 😱

Gotta think the Disney hotel managers hit the roof this morning at the news. Biggest Disney news since the parks reopened and they had to sell a huge chunk of rooms out at what, like 40% off or something, to the Dappers for premier weekend? 🤪

Be grateful. The geniuses at DLR are bringing back WOC, MSEP and Disneyland Forever on Dapper Days Weekend. Madness doesn’t begin to describe what that’s gonna look like 😱

Gotta think the Disney hotel managers hit the roof this morning at the news. Biggest Disney news since the parks reopened and they had to sell a huge chunk of rooms out at what, like 40% off or something, to the Dappers for premier weekend? 🤪
Not only that, but I heard it was also Tikiland day. :D

Should be fun crowds!

Serioulsy though, it’s so baffling. They did a similar thing last Dapper Day by deciding to start the holidays off on the same weekend (usually that happens the weekend AFTER Dapper Day). It was so insanely crowded. Are they doing it on purpose? Or are they really that disconnected?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter