So what's the deal with buying "old" resorts direct?

we"reofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
So we flipped again and decided last week to bite the bullet and buy the 75 points to be official. I called and spoke to a screener of some kind who verified name, address, and membership number and when I told him I would like to buy 75 from one of the older resorts, he said hold on let me get you someone. I wasn't sure if we had a guide or not attached to our file-- apparantly not. Unfortunately I did not catch the name of the person with whom I was speaking, but I asked him if it would be possible to buy 75 points with any of a few different resorts. He said I will submit that and they will let me know. I said great, thanks and the call was over. I was left staring at my phone confused. I wasn't expecting the call to end there. Did he even have our information? I know the first person did. What does submit mean? He didn't mention anything about waitlist or if there were other resorts available. We were prepared to be talked into CC, maybe, we don't like the options for 5 there, but maybe. None of that. So my question is should we just hold tight? I am fine with waiting, but are we even on a list? Is this normal?

I wouldn't worry. Someone (probably the second someone) will call you back soon - as soon as he knows the availability of points for the resorts in which you were interested. My guess is that he has to get info from the "inventory manager" because the recent change allowing DVD more flexibility with use years has allowed them to more quickly sell a lot of their existing inventory of points to people on the waitlist

Anyway, I don't think it will take too long for someone to get back to you.

I wouldn't worry. Someone (probably the second someone) will call you back soon - as soon as he knows the availability of points for the resorts in which you were interested. My guess is that he has to get info from the "inventory manager" because the recent change allowing DVD more flexibility with use years has allowed them to more quickly sell a lot of their existing inventory of points to people on the waitlist

Anyway, I don't think it will take too long for someone to get back to you.
Thanks. That makes me feel more relaxed.

If that's the service with the initial contact I'd actually call back and ask for someone different. You shouldn't be left wondering any of what you are when you're calling in to buy and have your credit card ready to go.
I feel like I should have let dh call. He is relentless. But I just thought it was straight forward.

Sounds like the CM was at their house and needed to take care of a personal matter on the clock, I would just call back and ask a lot of questions.

With the new change in how DVC can change UY's of contracts getting direct points really shouldn't be an issue anymore.

To the OP, DVD has all of your info in their system, they are going nuts filling waitlists and redesigning the way that they do business. By law you can only talk sales to a licensed sales person, that was the second person. I would just sit tight and give them a few days to get back to you. They may be processing larger contract first, they need money for all the new resort building that they are doing. :teeth:

:earsboy: Bill

I think this will not only increase the waitlist activity but also the frequency that Disney exercises ROFR.

They are testing the limits of how much a resale buyer will spend to join DVC. What I'm trying to figure out is how they address stripped vs. loaded. And also whether all of this change is legal. Because they say it is so. This one though does not negatively affect existing owners.

I don't think there will be waitlists with this new "development". I have read of people being on the w/l for BLT Oct UY for over a year now, but I just got a call for mine yesterday and I went on w/l in January just before the price hike (had been hoping for a miracle).

Now, I don't think I want to pay $225 for BLT and if I did, I'd probably not buy until I actually NEED the points because I assume there will be no more waitlist. I'm super frustrated because I always feel like I'm just a little too late with all things DVC. I really wanted BLT, I kind of wanted direct for trading into new resorts, needing a small contract in an OCT UY at BLT makes buying resale so hard, but an extra $34/pt along with higher closing costs via direct these days just infuriates me!!!

I don't think there will be waitlists with this new "development". I have read of people being on the w/l for BLT Oct UY for over a year now, but I just got a call for mine yesterday and I went on w/l in January just before the price hike (had been hoping for a miracle).

Now, I don't think I want to pay $225 for BLT and if I did, I'd probably not buy until I actually NEED the points because I assume there will be no more waitlist. I'm super frustrated because I always feel like I'm just a little too late with all things DVC. I really wanted BLT, I kind of wanted direct for trading into new resorts, needing a small contract in an OCT UY at BLT makes buying resale so hard, but an extra $34/pt along with higher closing costs via direct these days just infuriates me!!!
You are dealing with the same struggles that I am

They are testing the limits of how much a resale buyer will spend to join DVC. What I'm trying to figure out is how they address stripped vs. loaded. And also whether all of this change is legal. Because they say it is so. This one though does not negatively affect existing owners.
I think it affects resale buys because depending on the length of the waitlist or demand for points Disney would be more likely to exercise ROFR. This may result in resale prices increasing again hurting the resale buyer but being a positive for the current owner. Only time will tell

Remember that for new resorts you always can rent out your existing points and pay Cash or rent a reservation. You'll probably run across discounts for it too. DVC is hoping for the grass is greener thinking but that's a lot of grass for an opportunity now and then. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter