So is Owning DVC "Over the Top"??

DiznEeyore

<font color=navy>Donkey-Huggin' DVC Member<br><fon
They were discussing Disney on another MB I frequent (non-Disney related) and the OP said that she just didn't like anything Disney and couldn't figure out why anyone would. Dozens agreed with her, but there were a few who posted to say how much they love it. At one point, someone posted that they "really like Disney" but not as much as their friends, who are "over the top and bought Disney Vacation Club".

So are we over the top?? :earboy2:

Over the top? Maybe, but we're smart, too.... We understand the value, they dont. I think that most ppl that react that way dont understand the DVC program, think its exclusively Disney, think they can get the same experience (rooms) by paying cash and are not locked into a "Disney" vacation every year. (BTW, whats wrong with that? :flower: )

If you enjoy it and make it a regular vacation destination, no.

Personally, I don't get my fellow DVCers who go several times every year. I like Disney, but we enjoy traveling other places and don't have the time or money to do it all. So we limit our Disney trips. But if Disney is the best place you can imagine being, and you can afford it, you might as well put your vacation resources to being there. And many people have different resources - we don't have nearly the vacation time of say, a retiree. And we don't live easy driving distance. If I lived somewhere where we could take long weekends, we might spend a lot more time there.

I know people who own timeshares in Cancun. We really enjoyed our recent trip to Mexico, but I can't imagine a yearly trip to Cancun. I know people who go fishing deep in Canada each year, spending thousands to get back into the woods. Not my thing, but I wouldn't accuse them of being over the top.

If we are, I am happy to be. I know a lot of over the top people who don't own DVC and I get to go more often for less money. So I think we are just commited over the top Disney lovers instead of closet ones. :)

Really since joining DVC most of my friend and family who used to roll there eyes at us, seem to understand why we go there, they own DVC now. It makes since to them. (I think they may be a little jelous too.)

Over the top? Maybe. Fact is we found something we love (Disney) and we found a way to make it affordable (DVC). We had gotten to the point of wanting to visit every year. We also loved the Deluxe resorts. So DVC made sense for us.

I think we have been spoiled. Just came back from the Member Cruise and stayed at Boardwalk before and after. We did studios both visits and really wish we had done our one bedroom.:)

In the sense that we've made a commitment to Disney that is beyond an average Disney fan, then yes.

In the sense that we've gone way beyond what other folks do in their lives to spend their money - no. I can think of far worse ways to spend money than plan family vacations at Disney.

Over the top maybe, but only in the same sence that those who camp every year at the same resort are over the top, only in a way that those who visit the shore and stay in the same place year after year are over the top, etc. I guess it is just a matter of preferance, if that means I'm over the top than so be it.

Over the top! OK, I can live with that!

The word to be used for the nay-sayers would probably be "jealous"!

T.E. Yeary said:
Over the top! OK, I can live with that!

The word to be used for the nay-sayers would probably be "jealous"!

I disagree with jealous. I certainly don't' understand why people spend thousands of dollars in Minnesota on hockey expenses for their kids, waking up at 4am in order to get ice time and then driving five hours across the state for games. To me, it is "over the top." But I'm certainly not jealous. I can't imagine anything I'd rather do less than spend my money and time on turning my kid into a hockey player (even if he turned out to be great, the life of a professional athelete isn't something I want for my kids). (One of the explainations given - that the dedication will result in a college scholarship - doesn't hold water for me - putting money aside will be a better guarentee of going to college - its similiar to "but we save so much money with DVC" - a surer way to save money would be to not go to Disney so often and to stay offsite or in values when you do.")

I think when someone describes behavior as over the top its the opposite of jealous. Its - at its worse - a sort of pity that anyone has made those choses that don't fit with the describer's priorities and values. At best its an admittance of not really getting someone else's facination with something.

Now when I'm jealous I talk in other terms. I have a friend who is fairly obsessive about golf - non-golfers would call him "over the top." I call him lucky and skilled. He has the finances and time and talent to dedicate a lot of effort and money to playing a game well that I enjoy but am not very good at.

Well, I think that term was probably used casually in the other post, but since we're defining, here's what "over the top" means in poker:

When you re-raise another player’s raise, you are said to be “Going over the top of him”. In no limit games, if you throw all of your bankroll in after another player raises, you are going “All-in over the top”.

No negative connotation, it just means you're "all in". You've committed to your hand...just like we have committed to Disney. There are certainly less attractive bets out there! :flower:

Over the top? Sure! And I do agree that there is a bit of jealousy out in the timeshare world concerning DVC. Part of it has to do with the fact that many of those people invested off-property for $20,000, and couldn't get more than $4000 for their "investment". They see DVC increasing in price, when no one thought that would ever happen, since we own only until 2042, and that drives people crazy. If you bought at any other timeshare in Orlando, you would naturally carp about Disney. :wizard:

Sure, but who cares. It is our money and our happiness. If they prefer the beach, mountains, lake, what have you -- that is fine as well.

Cruelladeville said:
Over the top? Sure! And I do agree that there is a bit of jealousy out in the timeshare world concerning DVC. Part of it has to do with the fact that many of those people invested off-property for $20,000, and couldn't get more than $4000 for their "investment". They see DVC increasing in price, when no one thought that would ever happen, since we own only until 2042, and that drives people crazy. If you bought at any other timeshare in Orlando, you would naturally carp about Disney. :wizard:

That relationship will change in a few years when ours begin to decline in value. Then even more in 2042 when we have only the memories and they still have their deeded timeshares. But by then I doubt if I will care all that much one way or the other as I will be 86.

kathleena said:
In the sense that we've made a commitment to Disney that is beyond an average Disney fan, then yes.

In the sense that we've gone way beyond what other folks do in their lives to spend their money - no. I can think of far worse ways to spend money than plan family vacations at Disney.
So true. Everyone chooses to spend their money differently and has different priorities. For us vacation time is high on the list.

I don't think DH and I are over the top. We own DVC because we enjoy vacationing at WDW and at the time we bought (1992) it just made sense financially.

DiznEeyore

We love it :cool1: :cool1: we are on the 9th rung of a 10 rung ladder and ready to fall over the top. :rotfl2:

go back and ask those who can't see it, if they own any timeshare. If they do ask them what time ( same week) of the year they HAVE TO TAKE their vacation. I know most of the timeshares are trying to change to pts but some haven't yet. :rotfl: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter