slo’s WEDNESDAY 6/19 poll - Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese

Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese - Do you eat it & Do you dunk your sandwich? (m.c.)

• Yes - I eat this during cold weather months

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Yes - I eat it all year

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • Yes - I eat this during Lent

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Yes - I eat it rarely

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • No - I do not eat this

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • I’m a dunker always

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I’m a dunker sometimes

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I’m a dunker rarely

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • I’m never a dunker

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
LOVE grilled cheese sandwiches, grew up eating those frequently, and still enjoy them, But I do not like tomato soup. My mom did make tomato soup for lunch sometimes, but I never liked it.

We eat grilled cheese sandwiches at least once a week, on sourdough bread, with tomato soup if I have it on hand. I always dunk.

We're in the heat wave, too. Mid-90s in northern Maine, and of course my 100+ year old house does not have air conditioning. I've been trying to think about what to have for supper tonight (it's supposed to be parmesan pasta bake- nope, not turning the oven on in THIS weather). Grilled cheese and tomato soup is pretty much a stand-by here, so it might be tonight's supper. Tomorrow is chicken Caesar salad wraps (chicken from Sam's, not from MY kitchen)!

ETA- Yes, I dunk, but mostly just the crusts!
FYI we are having BLT’s tonight in our 100+ year old house without central a/c (no a/c in the kitchen). Had pasta vodka last night but I made the sauce first thing in the morning. H is heading to Costco and I’m asking him to pick up something premade.

LOVE grilled cheese sandwiches, grew up eating those frequently, and still enjoy them, But I do not like tomato soup. My mom did make tomato soup for lunch sometimes, but I never liked it.
Was it from scratch? I gave my neighbor a bowl of cherry tomatoes from our garden, she made soup, omg it was amazing. Made it myself and it’s really hard to go back to the can.

Was it from scratch? I gave my neighbor a bowl of cherry tomatoes from our garden, she made soup, omg it was amazing. Made it myself and it’s really hard to go back to the can.
No, Mama made a lot of delicious homemade soups, and food, but not tomato soup, it was canned, so I'm sure homemade would be a lot more tasty. The very few tomato soups I liked were in Italian restaurants, and I assume were from scratch, not positive, but they were nice.

Lately I have developed a new technique. I cut my grilled cheese sandwich into little squares with a pizza cutter and just dump it all into the soup.

I eat grilled cheese a lot during the year, but I don’t always have tomato soup on hand to go with it. When I do, sometimes I have the soup in a mug and drink it instead of having it in a bowl. I occasionally dunk the crusts. I feel that isn’t all that different from people who put croutons or crackers in their soup.

Grilled cheese is something that never SOUNDS good
Um, grilled cheese pretty much always sounds good.

I love grilled cheese, although I don't eat it much. And I love those "cheesy melts" like a brisket grilled cheese or the Friendly's chicken supermelts (the Buffalo, which they no longer offer, was lovely). But if I make it at home (rarely), I can't do the fancy ones because I'm just always disappointed that it's not the nostalgic plain white bread & kraft singles slice version.

I love both, but don't usually have them together.

Homemade tomato soup usually only happens in colder weather.

Grilled cheese is anytime. My grilled cheese is usually on rye, with pepper jack cheese, tomato, and avocado.

I do like Panera's tomato soup, and I'll often get the tomato soup + half Mediterranean veggie sandwich.

I like both, and have had the combination in the past. I never dunked.

Now you have me wondering when the last time was that I had either of them, let alone together. It has been a while. Probably the soup alone was the most recent though.

No, Mama made a lot of delicious homemade soups, and food, but not tomato soup, it was canned, so I'm sure homemade would be a lot more tasty. The very few tomato soups I liked were in Italian restaurants, and I assume were from scratch, not positive, but they were nice.
I make soup all of the time from scratch, it never occurred to me to make tomato soup for some reason, what a difference!

Definitely a favorite winter meal here and yes I’m a dunker. If your not dunking then you’re not eating it properly!!

I do not like tomato soup. I do eat grilled cheese. For many years when I was a kid I did not have sauce on my pasta or eat pizza. I do eat those things now, and even will put tomatoes on a green salad, but I don’t like tomatoes much.

The combo is not something my family had growing up. I like grilled cheese ok, but don’t have it that often. Not a big fan of tomato soup; haven’t had it in years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter